PDA

View Full Version : My Section Hike Video

Stryder
11-26-2008, 03:58
Hello everyone here at WhiteBlaze. I lurk mostly at Hammockforums but I really love this site as well. I have learned a lot from you all here.

Anyway, I have made my first hiking video. It is about my very first section of the AT. I hope it doesn't suck too bad! LOL

It is in two sections.

KpaHD-a4p9Y

vShqTEv9BLc

Of course videos cant do the real thing justice but maybe it will bring back a few memories for some of you familiar with this area of the trail.

Adam

Stryder
11-26-2008, 04:02
It seems the videos did not embed themselves like I thought they would and I could not see a place to edit my original post so here are the links again..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpaHD-a4p9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vShqTEv9BLc

Hope this works!

Adam

nitewalker
11-26-2008, 07:18
good job on your vids.. the dorkier the better.....kidding, lol......

Stryder
11-26-2008, 12:06
Thank you nitewalker,

We had fun. I think I am going to try to start from the beginning of the trail (nobo) for my second section and just continue up the sequence. Sigh, to be able to through hike the AT....

Adam

Jeff
11-26-2008, 15:45
It sounded like you had a great time. Keep hiking in '09. It gets better every year.:)

FritztheCat
11-26-2008, 16:05
Looked like there were Tibetan prayer flags hanging on the Lost Mountain Shelter. Cool.

Loved the text comments on your video. "Overexposure much?" LOL!

Look forward to seeing more!

twoshoes06
11-27-2008, 21:12
Awesome videos Stryder.. I wish more people could do this. What kind of camera did you use? I just bought a Flip camera and it would be perfect for backpacking.

rampli
12-01-2008, 07:41
Enjoyed the videos. That section is one of my favorites, Grayson Highlands is VA's BEST State Park!

I am also interested in your video equipment and techniques. Could you provide more detail? Specifically the mount, it didn't look like you were holding the camera by hand. You did a good job of keeping the subject in frame. I especially liked your use of ASL, need to see more.

dradius
12-02-2008, 17:40
I can't watch the videos at work, but I'll check them out later :) You might check out the Sheltowee Trace for a rewarding (but much shorter) Thru-Hike that isn't too far from you.

Stryder
12-02-2008, 18:41
Enjoyed the videos. That section is one of my favorites, Grayson Highlands is VA's BEST State Park!

I am also interested in your video equipment and techniques. Could you provide more detail? Specifically the mount, it didn't look like you were holding the camera by hand. You did a good job of keeping the subject in frame. I especially liked your use of ASL, need to see more.

It was funny because most of the hikers I ran into on our trip said I could not have picked a better place to start section hiking the AT!..LOL.

Believe it or not I was actually holding that camera in my hand...LOL. Practice I guess. I goof around making faces at our point and shoot all the time so I guess it paid off. The camera I was using for the AT video was a fairly old kodak point and shoot. I dont have it with me here at work but when I find it I will post the model number. It takes a max 5 mega pixel picture and the camcorder is pretty rotten. It is REALLY evident in many of the shots but it was all I had at the time that I could take on the trail. I HAVE a Canon GL2 camcorder but there is not way I was taking that monster with me! I have since upgraded my point and shoot to a Canon SD1100IS Digital Elph. It is much better and still pretty light. I know, Bla, Bla, Bla....too much info more than likely!

I use Sony Vegas Video to edit my clips.

My next purchace is going to be this:

http://thestickpic.com/

I cant wait to use it. Thank you all for the kind words.

Adam

P.S. I will sign a little more in my later videos. I almost finished interpreting school many years ago. I met my wife (who is deaf ) there before I realized I love ASL but dont really care to be a professional interpreter...:)

Stryder
12-02-2008, 18:45
Just in case you might be interested you can see the difference between the Canon and Kodak cameras I used for two different hikes. As stated before, I used the Kodak on the AT and I used the Canon SD1100IS for the Grand Canyon R2R2R (Rim to Rim to Rim). Here is that video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinVdfietfM

Adam