PDA

View Full Version : I am back (finally and for good)

SGT Rock
04-04-2004, 04:15
I just flew back from Kuwait, and boy are my arms tired. :jump

Bad joke...

Anyway, I just want to thank all the backpackers, hikers, trail angles, and everyone else that has been praying for me and supporting me with the international mail drops that came my way. The sentiment and support help more than you may ever imagine.

Now I am taking a month to try and get my family and life back on track. Things happen, people change, and everyone has to adapt over a year. It will take me some time to get back on a trail to do some real backpacking, but I really am looking forward to getting east and hitting the AT sometime this year. I am still holding out for Trail Days so I can thank some of y'all in pserson for all the support and to encourage the class of 2004 to keep on keeping on up the trail.

I would just like to publicly say that Troll has done a huge job and done it above and beyond the standard in keeping up the site. The updates to the software, layout, some of the content, the patches, T-Shirts, and other things behind the scenes that y'all don't get to see have made this an even more professional site than it was a little over a year ago when I left. Good job Troll!

Lastly, please don't forget the people over there. There are a lot of new people replacing us, some of them are your friends, sisters, brothers, cousins, etc. Some are simply strangers. But they are all going to an ugly place where life can be short and ugly. Find a unit or individual and support them somehow, it doesn't always have to be cards, letters, and packages, it an be simply thinking about them or visiting their family stuck here, or something. Do not allow the length of the war (it is still a war), and the fact that a lot of what is going on isn't heard about anymore cause us to forget or trivialize the fact that we still occupy a forign country. We must remember that we want our people home and hold our elected officials accountable to put their efforts into developing and implementing an exit plan. I would never dream of telling you who to vote for or what party to affiliate with, but whomever you vote for, let them know that this is more important to you than anything else, because it ought to be, and whether or not you realize it, this will influence everything from the enviorment to jobs. So get out and vote this year.

Happy Trails!

Mini-Mosey
04-04-2004, 06:15
Sgt. Rock: So glad you're back safe and sound!!! Will certainly not forget and will support those still over there, those who are replacements, etc.

Jim Obermeyer
04-04-2004, 07:24
Glad your home safe and sound. I worked over there in the early 80's and it was a hell hole than. Can't imagine what it was like for you guys. So relax, enjoy and have some fun you deserve it!!!! :welcome

flyfisher
04-04-2004, 07:25
I just flew back from Kuwait, and boy are my arms tired. :jump

Welcome back SgtRock! Who did you fly back with? Did you get the tail number? The unit I fly with has been doing a lot of the shuttling as part of the 141 "bridge."

SGT Rock
04-04-2004, 07:50
We flew with Omni on a DC10.

hungryhowie
04-04-2004, 08:09
Welcome back!

I am thankful that you are both safe and home now.

-Howie

Moose2001
04-04-2004, 08:12
Hi Top.....Glad to hear you're home and safe. Congratulations on a job well done. I'm sure your family is very happy to have you home safe. I second your comments on remembering those who are still in harms way. Hope you can get some miles in this year. Nothing like some trail miles to mend the soul.

Moose
U.S.A.F Retired E-8

okpik
04-04-2004, 08:15
Semper Fi, Rock
Glad you're home safe.

Go kick up some dust.

AKA
Doc

papa john
04-04-2004, 08:43
Welcome back Sarge and THANK YOU for your service to your country.

Jaybird
04-04-2004, 08:50
I just flew back from Kuwait, and boy are my arms tired. :jump Anyway, I just want to thank all the backpackers, hikers, trail angles, and everyone else that has been praying for me and supporting me with the international mail drops that came my way. The sentiment and support help more than you may ever imagine........................................Las tly, please don't forget the people over there. .........................Happy Trails!

Welcome home Sarge!

hope to meet you out there on the trail sometime.

Thank You for your service to OUR country!

squirrel bait
04-04-2004, 09:44
Welcome back soldier.

Salute.

tribes
04-04-2004, 09:50
Good to know you are safe and home.

Doctari
04-04-2004, 10:30
WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good to have you back!

Doctari.

attroll
04-04-2004, 10:57
It's about time. Glad to have you back. We missed your participation in the forums.

Footslogger
04-04-2004, 12:05
Good to hear you're back home safe and sound Rock ...

Might see you in Damascus for Trail Days.

'Slogger
1/509 ABN (prior life)

TJ aka Teej
04-04-2004, 13:07
Lastly, please don't forget the people over there. There are a lot of new people replacing us, some of them are your friends, sisters, brothers, cousins, etc. Some are simply strangers. But they are all going to an ugly place where life can be short and ugly. Find a unit or individual and support them somehow, it doesn't always have to be cards, letters, and packages, it an be simply thinking about them or visiting their family stuck here, or something. Do not allow the length of the war (it is still a war), and the fact that a lot of what is going on isn't heard about anymore cause us to forget or trivialize the fact that we still occupy a forign country. We must remember that we want our people home and hold our elected officials accountable to put their efforts into developing and implementing an exit plan.

Welcome home, and thank you, Rock. Wise words above.

MrWesson22
04-04-2004, 13:11
<stands at parade rest>

Welcome back, 1SG. This is my first post on whiteblaze.net since registering a few days ago and doing a lot of reading. I'm home on leave until Friday. Thanks for your service and all you've done.

Neal Kitchen
E2 USAR Ft. Benning, GA
11B heading to Airborne School then the 82nd Abn

Brushy Sage
04-04-2004, 14:34
Welcome home, man. May your readjustment go smoothly! I hope to meet you, maybe on a trail, somewhere, sometime.

Streamweaver
04-04-2004, 15:08
Welcome back Sarge!!! Glad to hear you are back safe and sound!! Streamweaver

chris
04-04-2004, 15:20
I'm relieved and joyful that you are now back safe and sound from overseas. I cannot imagine what the past year has been like for you and your family and wish you all the best in a speedy transition in LA.

flyfisher
04-04-2004, 16:04
We flew with Omni on a DC10.

Good on ya! You were more comfortable than a C141 would have been.

jlb2012
04-04-2004, 18:57
Welcome back Top - I hope everything goes smoothly with the adjustments in your life.

Rain Man
04-04-2004, 20:06
Welcome back, SGT ROCK!!!! Glad you're home, safe and sound. Here's to hoping one day the world is safe enough that we don't send our men and women anywhere in harm's way. When the lambs lay down with the lions.

Until then, THANKS for your sacrifice.

And ... rest those arms, Soldier!
:cool:

Rain Man

Bonehead
04-04-2004, 20:07
Did they let you bring your guns back with you? What kind of guns did you have over there and what kind did they let you keep?

hacksaw
04-04-2004, 21:55
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who ever walked up the ramp of a "Freedom Bird" (Or in my case got carried up the ramp on a strecher) knows the feeling of "going home" in this indescribeable manner. The feeling is like no other. It has been my prayer these many months that you would experience this feeling too. I know now how my family must have felt during my 23 months in Vietnam when each news report of American Soldiers killed in this ambush or that car bombing has left me with a cold dread that there were men and women I know who might be the victem this time. I fear for and pray for them all and all their families. While I don't have to pray for your safe return any more, Rock, rest assured that another mother's son has taken your place in my prayers.

Thank you for all you have done for this country Rock.

I'll be looking for you as soon as you're ready to hit the trail.

Hacksaw

alpine
04-04-2004, 22:12
An old used up paratrooper that has been there says welcome back and thanks for your sacrifice! Welcome back from the sand box my brother! AIRBORNE!!! :welcome

peter_pan
04-04-2004, 23:25
Welcome home . HooHaH !!

Response on No Sniveling Quilt coming via PM.

Best Regards.

MedicineMan
04-04-2004, 23:40
Still hoping to meet you on the trail someday. Also deep thanks for serving the cause,,,,now you can thru-hike!
Did you sleep in the hammock on the flight back?

Uncle Wayne
04-05-2004, 02:29
Hope you can get some Big Bob Gibson BBQ before long! It's still as good as ever.

SGT Rock
04-05-2004, 05:08
Looking forward to Bob Gibson's VERY soon. I have been craving a pork sandwick with some slaw and red sauce forever.

Looks like I left just in time and the guys that are replacing us got there at a bad time. They were probably still trying to figure out what the place is like then and all that stuff starts. That unit that just had 7 soldiers killed and 24 wounded in Sader City, well that is my old sector and I am sad to see it turn like that and I feel for the 2/5 Cav that replaced us.

zammy
04-05-2004, 05:17
You are back from "our" Middle East and I thank you for your service there, it means a great deal for me and us, as an Israeli.
It's good to be back home.
I am , too, "leaving" this troubled zone to my thru-hike.
Your help is fantastic, thank you.

DebW
04-05-2004, 11:34
Rock, it's sure good to hear that you're home. Thanks to you and your family for the sacrifices you've made. Are you going to be at the Gathering in October?

VAMTNHIKER
04-05-2004, 13:34
Welcome Home Sarge!

Our thoughts and prayers will be with the guys and gals over there now...

My best to you and your family!

ScouterSteve
E8 USN Retired

Lilred
04-05-2004, 18:01
:welcome

Welcome home Sarge. Glad to hear your back safe and sound. :clap :clap

Hope I get to meet you on the trail, I'd like to shake your hand.....

with much thanks,
Mary

Waterbuffalo
04-05-2004, 18:36
Sgt Rock glad your back safe and sound.

H20Buffalo :banana

Trail Dog
04-09-2004, 00:53
Top,

You surely do ROCK! Thanks for doing such a good job. If my time comes i hope i can come to you for advise.

GAME

SPC Cohen

Footnotes
04-09-2004, 12:10
Sarge, glad you made it back safely. Your message about accountability is well taken. Thanks for your contribution and sacrifices.....Foot Notes

loonyhiker
04-11-2004, 13:09
Happy Easter! Glad you are back home safe and sound. My students and I have kept you (and all of those who help to keep us safe and free) in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for all you've done!

Hikerhead
04-12-2004, 21:35
:welcome home Rock!!!!!

ga>me>ak
04-15-2004, 12:25
:welcome home and thanks for your service to this country. I, too, hope to meet you someday and shake your hand. So happy you returned to your family safe and in one piece.