PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

horicon
11-26-2008, 10:32
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

fehchet
11-26-2008, 11:26
Doing a stuffed turkey breast tomorrow. all the best to all.

mudhead
11-26-2008, 11:30
Fake Key Lime Pie is high on my list of grazing.

yappy
11-26-2008, 11:40
a fake keylime pie ?.. hmm, is that good ?.. then again i have never baked a pie and go to good old marie for mine... They are pretty good !

mudhead
11-26-2008, 11:46
Edible. Hard to find Key limes in the grocery. (I'll eat anything.)

I have made them from scratch in FL, and then bought one in the frozen food section. Good enough. Forget the brand, has various types of ice cream pies, cut off corner box, yellow/green.

Now I am slobbering. Yes, good enough.

yappy
11-26-2008, 12:18
I don't think I have ever tried kl pie....usually my philospohy is if it does'nt have chocolate in it why bother !... but, I LOVE pumpkin pie and peach is yummy too.... oh yeah and apple.. ok, maybe it does'nt have to have choc. in it.. ha !

leeki pole
11-26-2008, 12:45
Okay, here's my menu, I always cook for my girls on Thanksgiving.....Rib eyes on the grill, baked sweet potatoes, baked irish potatoes, broccoli casserole, a nice chef's salad, homemade rolls and pecan pie for dessert.

Not fancy, but they don't complain. Happy Thanksgiving to all!:sun

Mags
11-26-2008, 15:32
Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma Mags' house growing up:

"Italian wedding soup" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_soup)

Stuffed Artichokes
(http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-heart-moms-stuffed-artichokes.html)
Lasagna or stuffed shells

Turkey
Baked Sweet Potatoes
What we used to call "Italian Stuffing" (pignoli (pine nuts) and raisins with the bread stuffing)
Steamed broccoli with lemon juice and olive oil
Spinach with black olives, mushrooms and onions sauteed in olive oil

Salad (at the end naturally....)

Pumpkin Pie
Fruit
Nuts
Dried Figs
Pizzelle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzelle)

(and when I became older)...
Really dark coffee with a little bit of anisette or 'bucca

Damn, I miss my Grandma's Thanksgiving dinner....Italian meets American. It was good...

Next month I'll describe the Christmas Eve dinner if a similar thread pops up. :)

Alligator
11-26-2008, 16:09
MMmm stuffed artichokes. I was going to wait to post but those look delicious with the Kalamata olives. Stuffed artichokes are one of our favorites for special events. Scored two containers of baby artichokes two weeks ago for a $1.75 each.

I was in the mood for some Broccoli Rabe but couldn't find any:(.

We'll have pastitsio and bruschetta in the mix .

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Jan LiteShoe
11-26-2008, 16:19
Working on the cranberry-orange sauce right now, homemade stuffing to follow. Then the traditional green bean casserole, squash casserole and a cranberry-pecan tart, and I'll be ahead of the game for tomorrow.

I am grateful to have such good food to prepare, much of it homegrown.

With any luck, I'll get this enormous head of collards cut up and cooked down. Not T-day in the south without a mess 'o greens!
I won it two nights ago, at an ag banquet, it's HUGE. And its been ... just... staring at me ...

yappy
11-26-2008, 16:24
Oh My God !!! why are'nt I invited to all you guys' place ??!!....that all sounds greatttttt.

horicon
11-26-2008, 16:26
Its a little late for me ro take off now. But I need a road trip.

mudhead
11-26-2008, 16:26
Homemade "pittsells" really rock my world.

Especially if the lady that made then bought a whopper-load of star anise, before it went off the market. Been a very, very long time.

Mags
11-26-2008, 16:28
Stuffed artichokes are one of our favorites for special events.

Indeed. We had them every Easter as well. Good stuff.

>>Homemade "pittsells" really rock my world.

Light, tasty desert. More good stuff. The local grocery stores sell them in the "specialty food" section. (Which means expensive food!). Not bad for a food that came from the Italy equivalent of Appalachia. :)

partinj
11-26-2008, 16:36
Eat all the turkey while you can their none on the trail
Happy Thankgiving everone food food food got to love it.

mudhead
11-26-2008, 16:37
They were sold in the deli section in Pittsburgh when I was there.

Very OK if you have never had the real deal.

Like square pizza, or halupkis.

Bare Bear
11-26-2008, 16:55
Sweet potato pie...........I give up everything else so I can pig out on that..............
Some dive friends used to do a Singles Thanksgiving but it got to be 200 people and couples would show up! So it died.

RadioFreq
11-26-2008, 17:17
May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

:) T-minus 3.25 months....and counting :)

Spogatz
11-26-2008, 18:07
Happy happy Turkey day

Gonna smoke me some turkeys....

I just have a problem getting rolled up in those little papers.....

Jorel
11-26-2008, 18:50
oysters rockefeller and shrimp cocktail with collecton of scrumtious cheeses for appetizers before the bird around 5pm....

boarstone
11-27-2008, 09:50
Will be taking my turkey day at Pittston Farms at Seboomook Lake, 25 dirt road miles north/west of Moosehead Lake this year...AYCE buffet...YUM! Plenty of snow to hunt/ski/waller' around in....Happy Turkey Day!!!

Tinker
11-27-2008, 09:54
Happy Thanksgiving, all.

............I think I'll go for a walk :)

mrc237
11-27-2008, 10:04
Fake Key Lime Pie is high on my list of grazing.

Just made one. I pkg lime sugar/fat free jello--1 tub FF Cool whip--1 graham cracker crust --mix jello with 1 cup hot h2o mix in CW pour into crust cool in fridge. Sounds nasty but tastes great. WW recipe.

Sailor (The other one)
11-27-2008, 11:46
Hey Mags, I think we're related. :eek: That's how my grandma cooked.

Slo-go'en
11-27-2008, 12:26
I'll be heading up to the Gray Knob cabin on Mt Adams in an hour or so. Will have turkey loaf and gravey, sweet potatos, mixed vegs for dinner and apple pie for desert.

We had quite a slush storm the other day and it looks like pleanty of snow up there, but its 40* out right now and will likely have to break trail going up. A little warm for my plastic double boots, but thier the only ones I have which the crampons will fit onto. I'm sure I'll need them once I get to the headwall, its always an ice flow there this time of year.

HikerRanky
11-27-2008, 12:46
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.... eat a fair amount of food, get out and enjoy the trails as you can!

Mags
11-28-2008, 16:05
Hey Mags, I think we're related. :eek: That's how my grandma cooked.

Didn't everyone have stuffed shells for Thanksgiving growing up? :)

Plodderman
11-28-2008, 16:08
Happy Thanksgiving and God bless.

Sailor (The other one)
11-28-2008, 16:40

If they were lucky. ;)

ki0eh
12-02-2008, 13:26

That's odd, that's what my mother-in-law fixed since no one who was coming liked turkey (my wife seems to be allergic to store-bought fowl and that's the one thing they don't raise). I doubt you would recognize the sauce though - tomatoes with no spice whatsoever.

mudhead
12-02-2008, 16:08
Just made one. I pkg lime sugar/fat free jello--1 tub FF Cool whip--1 graham cracker crust --mix jello with 1 cup hot h2o mix in CW pour into crust cool in fridge. Sounds nasty but tastes great. WW recipe.

I tried this tasty recipe. Mine had watery jellowater in the bottom. Should I have cooled the dissolved jello some before mixing in the Cool whip? Was not alot, but figure I did something odd.