PDA

View Full Version : Iodine stained my Platypus bladder

Manwich
11-26-2008, 11:01
Had maybe 2 liters of iodine water (1 tablet) sitting in my bag for two days. Now it has a nice even catheter bag look to it and it looks like it's new color is here to stay. Anybody know if it can be removed?

My buddy said sunlight might do it, somebody else told me some sodium sulfate chemical.

If not, No biggy. Not complaining. That's what I get for not properly storing it. Still works fine. No Iodine taste. Just a fantastic color.

Just wanted to initiate a thread in case anybody else ever runs into this. Anybody ever notice this happening gradually?

Bearpaw
11-26-2008, 11:05
It will lighten out over time, but that brownish-yellow tint is pretty much there to stay.

Relax, it lets people know you're actually using your gear.

D'Artagnan
11-26-2008, 11:23
Just tell them you're a fan of Bear Grylls and you're drinking your own urine. :D

fehchet
11-26-2008, 11:23
This must be on the list of dumbest questions. I mean, there must be a list? It is like the often asked question of how to remove a scortch of a titanium pot. But I do laugh and love you all. thatguy.

Manwich
11-26-2008, 12:00
This must be on the list of dumbest questions. I mean, there must be a list? It is like the often asked question of how to remove a scortch of a titanium pot. But I do laugh and love you all. thatguy.

Neato! I didn't know this was even asked before! So I went ahead and did a search for it... "iodine stained" and wouldn't ya know, theres a match! Oh wait... It's this thread... Oh wait there's another thread. Oh crap he misspelled "strained" with "stained." Doesn't look like this has been asked before.

Just like the scorched titanium pot? So I should burn it red hot to get the carbon out? I'm not following you. Not laughing, hate some of you. thisguy.

verber
11-26-2008, 12:13
I would not try to get rid of the stain... you are more likely to damage your platypus that help the situation. I would suggest switching from Iodine to Chlorine Dioxide based treatment. It's more effective than Iodine, not as nasty tasting, doesn't stain, and has less health risks.

Hikerhead
11-26-2008, 13:09
Do this...drop about 10 vitamin C tablets in it. Let it sit overnight. That should have cleaned it up right much but then poor some bleach in it and let that sit overnight. You should be good as new after that.

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 13:23
Relax, it lets people know you're actually using your gear.

I'm with Bearpaw. I used to fret on keeping new gear "new," but found that was wasted attention. Now I kinda like the "scars" my gear has. It means I used it and often reminds me of a hike.

Rain:sunMan

Franco
11-26-2008, 16:19
People come here to hopefully get some advice and learn from others, yet on every second thread someone has to basically brand the OP an idiot for asking. Great attitude.
Franco
For what is worth I go along with Bearpaw and Rain Man. It will fade a bit and it really doesn't matter. I use "Gatorade" bottles to avoid those problems. A quick rinse with some bleach ( un-scented...) every so often keeps them clean.

weary
11-26-2008, 18:56
Do this...drop about 10 vitamin C tablets in it. Let it sit overnight. That should have cleaned it up right much but then poor some bleach in it and let that sit overnight. You should be good as new after that.
Or totally destroyed. Whatever. Go for it and let us know.

Weary

weary
11-26-2008, 19:00
We just have to live with it, Fehchet. Few population groups can compete with sensible Mainers. I blame it on the climate.

Weary

Hikerhead
11-26-2008, 19:05
How do you figure? I wouldn't suggest it if it hasn't worked for me.

Maybe I should have said to pure the vit c tablet water out before adding the bleach but I thought that would be obvious. Don't mix the two.

Anytime you use Iodine, have some Vitamin C tablets with you also. After the Iodine works for 30 minutes, drop in a few tablets. Your water will clear up and it will also take the bad taste of the iodine away.

The only way I know of to clean the small 1 liter platypux small mouth water containers is with bleach. Never had a problem.

Dogwood
11-27-2008, 01:58
[QUOTE=Totem;730508]Had maybe 2 liters of iodine water (1 tablet) sitting in my bag for two days. Now it has a nice even catheter bag look to it and it looks like it's new color is here to stay. Anybody know if it can be removed?

Just tell everyone it's punch flavored KoolAid.

Dogwood
11-27-2008, 02:00
I would not try to get rid of the stain... you are more likely to damage your platypus that help the situation. I would suggest switching from Iodine to Chlorine Dioxide based treatment. It's more effective than Iodine, not as nasty tasting, doesn't stain, and has less health risks.

There U go. Good info.

sarbar
11-29-2008, 01:24
Stained one years ago back when I still used iodine. The color stuck around till the day I tossed it. It did lighten as Bearpaw noted, but it was always "off" in color.

Didn't bother me a week later. I got over wrecking it :D lol...

Doctari
11-29-2008, 06:24
I wouldn't put it in the sun to "bleach", the way UV "eats" plastic you will truely ruin it instead of just discoloring it.

BTW, be careful heating your Platy, I left mine in my car for a few weeks mid summer & it has started to delaminate. I'ts now my dry camp extra water bag & I have a new one for regular use.

Heater
11-29-2008, 06:57

Do you just put the tablets in or do you put water in too? :confused:

Some other guy. :cool:

Dances with Mice
11-29-2008, 11:02
Fill it full of Jack Daniels and mail it to me. I'll mail you back a clear one. Problem solved.