PDA

View Full Version : Potential Trip Suggestions

rpenczek
11-26-2008, 13:48
My Scouts are considering a second trip on the AT. Last summer we hiked South from Hurricane Camp Ground to Damascus. We had great fun and really enjoyed the trail.

We would like to hike a new section of the trail (about 50 miles) and are considering two alternatives.

Shenandoah National Park with the following South to North route. The projected route would be Sunday Blackrock GAP to Loft Mtn Campground; Monday Loft Mountain Campground to Hightop Hut; Tuesday Hightop Hut to Lewis Mtn Campgroud; Wednesday Lewis Mtn Campgrond to Big Meadows Campground; and Thursday Big Meadows Campground to Skyland. This looks to be about 50 miles and since we will be going the 1st week of August, the park campgrounds will have water (we will only use one “hut/tent area”). I would rather not use campgrounds, but I am worried about water in August.

Our second choice is AT through GSMNP from Clingmans north to the border of the Park. Of course, we would have to use shelters the entire way on GSMNP.

Does anyone have an opinion on either choice or a suggested route modification (we want to be on the AT)?

Thanks in advance

10-K
11-26-2008, 15:00
If you wind up in the Smokies I'd suggest hiking South from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam. It's the same distance (within a mile) of hiking Clingmans Dome to Davenport Gap but it'd be a lot easier to handle transportation. You could park at the visitor's center at Fontana Dam and get shuttled back to Newfound Gap and hike back to your vehicle(s).

If you start at Clingmans Dome you're going to have to be picked up by someone at Davenport Gap. Due to vandalism it's not recommended to park at Davenport Gap.

Bigglesworth
11-26-2008, 23:24
Beware of hitting either of those two popular parks in early August with a large group. It may be tough to deal with the camping/sheltering during busy season.

Consider the area south of Damascus, including Roan Mountain area...Possibly starting around Roan High Bluff and ending around Watauga Lake/Dam. (about 55 miles or so).

Approximate Itinerary:
Day 1 - Roan High Bluff - Overmountain Shelter (7.2 mi)
Day 2 - Overmountain Shelter - US 19E (arrange to tent in Mountain Harbor B & Bs field or stealth a couple miles past 19E - avoid Apple House Shelter!) (about 9 mi)
Day 3 - 19 E - Campsite about 1.8 miles south of Moreland Gap shelter (17 miles. Pretty flat but if this is too far there are shorter camping options through here, or possible longer hike the day before.)
Day 4 - Campsite - Dennis Cove area/Laurel Fork Shelter/Pond Flats (7.9/9.8/13.3 mi)
Day 5 - Laurel Fork Shelter - Watauga Dam Road (11.2 mi)

This would be a fun and beautiful section, with some challenging climbs at the beginning and end, and a pretty flat section in the middle. You'd see the highest shelter on the AT, one of the coolest (Overmountain, a converted barn), go by history (Overmountain men; Nick Grindstaff homestead), see three great falls (Jones, Mountaineer and Laurel), hike along the Elk River, and pass by Watauga Lake which will likley be a fun final stop on a hot day! You could possibly even arrange to do some trail work with Bob Peoples (Kincora Hostel, Dennis Cove) if you wanted to give back to the Trail.

If you go here or a little North of here PM me and I can help you with logistics if you'd like, as I have moved recently to the VA/TN line area.

My Scouts are considering a second trip on the AT. Last summer we hiked South from Hurricane Camp Ground to Damascus. We had great fun and really enjoyed the trail.

We would like to hike a new section of the trail (about 50 miles) and are considering two alternatives.

Shenandoah National Park with the following South to North route. The projected route would be Sunday Blackrock GAP to Loft Mtn Campground; Monday Loft Mountain Campground to Hightop Hut; Tuesday Hightop Hut to Lewis Mtn Campgroud; Wednesday Lewis Mtn Campgrond to Big Meadows Campground; and Thursday Big Meadows Campground to Skyland. This looks to be about 50 miles and since we will be going the 1st week of August, the park campgrounds will have water (we will only use one “hut/tent area”). I would rather not use campgrounds, but I am worried about water in August.

Our second choice is AT through GSMNP from Clingmans north to the border of the Park. Of course, we would have to use shelters the entire way on GSMNP.

Does anyone have an opinion on either choice or a suggested route modification (we want to be on the AT)?

Thanks in advance