PDA

View Full Version : Your Experience with Aqua Mira?

Colter
11-26-2008, 15:33
I've used Aqua Mira for the last three years or so and have good luck with it. I'm wondering what the experience of others has been: specifically, has it kept you healthy?

Does anyone know of a case where, beyond a reasonable doubt, someone has gotten sick from water properly treated with Aqua Mira?

Colter

Seeker
11-26-2008, 15:36
my experience is all sort-term/long weekend type trips. but i've treated some pretty gnarly-looking swamp water with it and it worked fine.

Cool AT Breeze
11-26-2008, 16:55
When I treat my water it's all I use. Never been sick while hiking.

1azarus
11-26-2008, 16:56
perfect.

garlic08
11-26-2008, 17:18
I've used AM very sparingly since 2002 and never been sick. I don't use any other water treatment. I only treat questionable water, only if I can't find a good spring, so I don't use it very often. I used less than 1/2 set on my AT thru this year.

I've never heard of an AM user getting sick.

daddytwosticks
11-26-2008, 17:37
I use AM and always treat my water (sorry LW!). But then again, I'm just a section hiker down here on the southern end of the AT. AM works great for me...never been sick. :)

Tagless
11-26-2008, 18:55
No problems whatsoever throughout numerous overnighters and section hikes. AM is a wonderful product!

Hikerhead
11-26-2008, 19:08
No problems here. Beats pumping a filter any day, in my book.

nitewalker
11-26-2008, 19:15
dalso no problems here. AM seems to work fine when i do use it. i often roll the dice when it comes to drinking water. no filter / no treatment most times; although i do make sure that the water looks mostly clear. another thing is to never draw water down stream of a farm. just asking for something if you try that..

BookBurner
11-26-2008, 19:37
I've used AM 100% of the time for at least 1500 miles. No problems whatsoever!

Dogwood
11-26-2008, 20:11
I've used AM very sparingly since 2002 and never been sick. I don't use any other water treatment. I only treat questionable water, only if I can't find a good spring, so I don't use it very often. I used less than 1/2 set on my AT thru this year.

I've never heard of an AM user getting sick.

I have logged over 7000 trail miles in the last 2 1/2 yrs. in the U.S. using only AM sparingly as garlic08 has with no problems. I used less than 1/2 bottle on the whole PCT this yr.

walkerat99
11-27-2008, 09:35
I have used Aqua Mira since 1999 and never been sick while hiking. I first learned and tried it as I hiked the AT, since the outfitter did not have replacement parts for my PUR Hiker filter. I bought the AM up north and used it all the way back to Virginia with no problems. I have never gone back to a filter, and it is all I ever use, if I use anything. As most of you know the water through the Mid-Atlantic states is very questionable, but I was never sick. I have since used it in the southern sections of the AT and throughout Ohio and still have never been sick while hiking.

Kerosene
11-27-2008, 14:03
I switched to AM about 6 years ago, after realizing how easy it is to cross-contaminate the hoses on a water filter.

Panzer1
11-27-2008, 14:11
I always used Potable Aqua,

http://www.potableaqua.com/

Panzer

StubbleJumper
11-27-2008, 14:15
In general, it's hard to ever know why people get sick while hiking. It could be a flu bug that you picked up 4 or 5 days previous. It could be that you used the privy and your hygiene measures for your hands were inadequate. It could be that you encountered another hiker who passed a bacterium to you through direct contact. It could be a food-borne illness.

Or maybe it's the water that gave you beaver-fever. Personally about half of the water that I drink in the woods is untreated, and I like it best that way. Just can't beat the taste. However, if there are obvious sources of contamination (ie, a beaver lodge in a small lake) then I'll use AM. I've never had any problems with AM...but if I ever became sick I would not automatically attribute it to water.

A-Train
11-27-2008, 14:16
I used it regularly on both of my long thru-hikes and use it for many other trips. I'm a bit concerned about putting the chemicals into my body but I haven't noticed any long term health problems, so far.

Sure beats filtering. I did get sick once in the Sierra pretty bad while I was using it most of the time (did drink some unfiltered water when it was 11,000+ ft and melting from snow. I suspect I picked up whatever I had from another hiker as many others were sick, but I did have all the symptoms of giardia. Remains a mystery....

Dogwood
11-27-2008, 15:38
[QUOTE=StubbleJumper;730962]In general, it's hard to ever know why people get sick while hiking. It could be a flu bug that you picked up 4 or 5 days previous. It could be that you used the privy and your hygiene measures for your hands were inadequate. It could be that you encountered another hiker who passed a bacterium to you through direct contact. It could be a food-borne illness.

Or maybe it's the water that gave you beaver-fever.

WELL SAID! Unless, one gets tested and confirmed positive by an MD for an intestinal parasite(Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Leptosporosis, etc.) one can not be positive what one may have! I have heard many a hiker on the trail who have experienced diarehaha, nausea, or fatigue claim they have this or that. NOT NECESSARILY SO!!!

BrianLe
11-30-2008, 14:36
I used it for the majority of my PCT thru this year. As StubbleJumper said, it's hard to know why people get sick. I didn't treat much in the Sierras, and used a gravity filter for the first 700 miles, so I guess I used A.M. for 1600 or so miles this year.

I don't think that really says much ... as most or all thru-hikers would likely tell you, there are a surprising number of thru's that seldom and sometimes even never treat water and yet don't get sick.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle

garlic08
11-30-2008, 16:17
I just read a disturbing post on another thread. Apparently some people think it's fine to let dogs play in water sources. Great.

Big Sky
11-30-2008, 17:03
I used to only use tablets but I've used AM with success. I also tried a filter in the past and imho it is just so much trouble. Sometimes when using the AM with really icky water or right after a rain I will use a bandanna to "filter" out leaves and other muck. I like it better than both tablets and pumping.