PDA

View Full Version : How to make Big Agnes less slippery.

cr113
11-26-2008, 16:41
Wipe the coco butter off her? :)

Just kidding ...

I just bought a big agnes insulated aire core and as some reviewers have said it is a little slick. It seems like it might be hard to keep my pillow and bag in place all night.

I was wondering if I could use silicone seam sealer to make it more grippy as is recommended for tarp tents by Henry Shire.

karoberts
11-26-2008, 19:38
I use straps to keep my bag in place on my BA air core. It is very effective.

http://www.rei.com/product/707584?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-707584&mr:trackingCode=FB3C3FC7-25BB-DD11-9B0F-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Tagless
11-26-2008, 23:04
I carry a Montbell SS and Big Agnes Insulated Core pad and haven't experienced a problem with excessive slipping. I do, however, use a Montbell Inflatable pillow with lightweight cord secured to left and right front corners. I run this "loop" around (under) my pad. The pillow stays nicely in place this way.

You might want to try your set-up to see if works for you before modifying anything.

Wags
11-27-2008, 01:38
you'll probably void your warranty if you put that stuff on your BA pad. bad news if it develops a leak

toddhiker
11-27-2008, 22:45
No slipping w/mine.

Honest!

bessiebreeze
11-28-2008, 00:25
My big agnes is slippery too. I made a pillow case for my piece of foam that I use for a pillow, and on the back side I sewed in a section of some of that non slip stuff you use for small rugs to keep them from from slipping around on the floor. This works great.
Also, as for your sleeping bag slipping around on Big Agnes, when the weather is cooler, (not in the summer), I use a piece of fleece material the same size as Big Agnes, between Big Agnes and my sleeping bag. This helps insulate, cuts down on the noise, and also helps cut down on the slipping around.

A New Convert
11-29-2008, 19:36
Then there is always the option of buying a big agnes bag that has a sleeve for the pad. It acts as the bottom insulation and stays under you too. They also have a pocket for a pillow or clothing to keep your pillow under your head.

BC

optimator
11-30-2008, 18:03
My old black one was pretty slick. My new brown one isn't nearly as bad.

cr113
12-01-2008, 11:53
I carry a Montbell SS and Big Agnes Insulated Core pad and haven't experienced a problem with excessive slipping. I do, however, use a Montbell Inflatable pillow with lightweight cord secured to left and right front corners. I run this "loop" around (under) my pad. The pillow stays nicely in place this way.

That's a good idea. The pillow was actually my main concern.

flemdawg1
12-01-2008, 12:52
I just changed to a bag that has a pad sleeve. Luv it!