PDA

View Full Version : Pack Recommendation

mts4602
11-27-2008, 00:10
I'm looking for a new light weight pack for the PCT and I need some suggestions.

It needs to be able to hold the following:

Tarptent Contrail
Montbell 15* down bag
Thermarest Z-lite
*Bear Vault BV500
Alcohol stove/pot
Chemical treatment
Lots of water for the desert
clothing for the desert, then some additional clothing for the sierras
All the other little things for a hike/thru

I was looking at a ULA catalyst but I have no idea if it will hold everything or not.

Thanks,

MTS

Whistler
11-27-2008, 12:19
The ULA Catalyst is plenty large enough. You might also consider the ULA Circuit.

-Mark

garlic08
11-27-2008, 12:23
You only need the bear vault for a couple hundred miles. I used a frameless pack on the PCT and it worked fine for me. I now use Gossamer Gear packs.

verber
11-27-2008, 12:49
Unless you are carrying lots of extra stuff you didn't list, I think the catalyst might be too big. Since you are a foam pad user, you might also want to consider the six moon designs starlite and the gossamer gear mariposa.

--mark

Stir Fry
11-27-2008, 13:49
Take every thing that you will need, worst case, ie winter,and 7 days food, to a good outfiter try diferand bags. This should help with the size issue. I have found that some of the lighter bags get that way by reducing the padding and support. So do not just look the weight of the pack, but how it carries when full.

JRiker
11-27-2008, 14:01
gearskin, all pack problems solved, period...

Panzer1
11-27-2008, 14:04
At 2 pounds 9 ounces I don't think the bear vault is worth the trouble.

http://www.rei.com/product/768902

Panzer

garlic08
11-27-2008, 14:14
At 2 pounds 9 ounces I don't think the bear vault is worth the trouble.

http://www.rei.com/product/768902

Panzer

The bear vault is required on the PCT in the National Parks in California.

BookBurner
11-27-2008, 18:20
Go-Lite's Jam carries my lightweight thru-hike loads wonderfully. When needed, I can carry a week of food and 6 liters of water comfortably.

Jim Adams
11-27-2008, 19:53
I don't know if I would compromise for either end of the trail. I noticed in '07 that alot of the "light weight" packs using the sleeping pad as part of the frame work did not carry the amount of needed water very well in the desert. OTOH, bigger and heavier, better suspended packs were simply too hot in the desert and too much weight north of the desert.
Mr. Parkay used an Atmos 50, made temporary foam "tubes" on each side to carry stacked gatoraide bottles and used it the entire PCT. He simply didn't fill the tubes once north of Kennedy Meadows. The pack seemed to carry well, WAS NOT AGAINST HIS BACK due to unique suspension, ie:cooler, and was fairly light as packs go.
I did not carry an Atmos 50 but if I go back to the PCT, I will!

geek

skinewmexico
11-28-2008, 02:35
I'd look at the Osprey Exos 58, the ULAs, and the Mariposa Plus. All good packs. There are an amazing selection of quality, lightweight packs out there now; just find the one that fits best.

mts4602
11-28-2008, 17:59
Take every thing that you will need, worst case, ie winter,and 7 days food, to a good outfiter try diferand bags. This should help with the size issue. I have found that some of the lighter bags get that way by reducing the padding and support. So do not just look the weight of the pack, but how it carries when full.

This is a good idea and I will most likely give it a try. The only problem is I have 2 good outfitters here but 1 only sells granite gear packs and Lufama, the other mostly has the more traditional, heavier packs, but they do have some lighter ones like Osprey, and Gregory. So I will give it a shot. At least I can try on several ones.

skinewmexico
11-28-2008, 20:22
Gregory sells lighter packs?

A-Train
11-28-2008, 20:45
I don't know if I would compromise for either end of the trail. I noticed in '07 that alot of the "light weight" packs using the sleeping pad as part of the frame work did not carry the amount of needed water very well in the desert. OTOH, bigger and heavier, better suspended packs were simply too hot in the desert and too much weight north of the desert.
Mr. Parkay used an Atmos 50, made temporary foam "tubes" on each side to carry stacked gatoraide bottles and used it the entire PCT. He simply didn't fill the tubes once north of Kennedy Meadows. The pack seemed to carry well, WAS NOT AGAINST HIS BACK due to unique suspension, ie:cooler, and was fairly light as packs go.
I did not carry an Atmos 50 but if I go back to the PCT, I will!

geek

When I met him (Old Station) he was carrying one of the small ULA packs (maybe the circuit?)

Anyway, the Catalyst is absolutely adequate for the PCT. I used one the whole way and it's the most popular PCT thru-hiker pack. Others that are popular are the Six Moon, Gossamer gear and Granite Gear (vapor trail, ozone, meridian, etc.).

A-Train
11-28-2008, 20:46
Gregory sells lighter packs?

The Z55/Z65 is the only pack they make that is really appropriate for a light weight long distance hiker. Not sure if they still make the G-pack.