PDA

View Full Version : geocache

brack
04-04-2004, 16:36
hello anyone ever heard of the site http://www.geocaching.com/

i was looking at maybe starting a gps unit and starting to do this. any experience with this website or with gps? because i dont know jack. thanks...

brack

Tn Bandit
04-04-2004, 16:46
If you think hiking is addicting then caching is a close second. I started geocaching in hope of finding more on hiking trails but all National Parks and Forest are off all limits. State parks vary of allowing caches hidden there. It is fun to get out in the evenings and play this high tech “hide and seek”. The geocache folks are great and you have the option of using the database free but may choose to be a member. I highly recommend it! There is a ton of GPS out there but a good starting point is the March issue of Backpacker. I have a Magellan Sport Trak and it works pretty well but I use it on trails and sometimes loses signals under clouds and heavy tree coverage.
TN Bandit :clap

attroll
04-04-2004, 17:14
Tn Bandit is right it you think hiking is addicting then wait until you have done your first one or two geocaches. I am totally addicted. I started doing it last year about this time. I have found 35 geocaches to date. In fact I did two yesterday and one today. This is also something the family can do together. It is fun and rewarding. Some of the caches are in places with some really good scenery and view or historic sites that you never knew existed. I have found some neat places that I would have never gone to if it were not for taking up geocaching. The GPS I have is Garmin Legend. I got it off eBay. But you don’t have to have a fancy GPS to start doing this. The only problems I find as Tn Bandit said is that the GPS loses the signal sometimes under dense tree cover the GPS do not work to well sometimes.

Tweedledee
04-04-2004, 17:40
I myself do not own a GPS unit yet, but I have a friend who has one. While we were at a training in Chicago, we used the GPS and went geocaching.I have to agree that it is a blast and something that you will want to do more than once. It is something fun to do with a small group of maybe 3 or 4, I don't think I would want to do it in a larger group. I can't wait until I get my own GPS so I can play more and do more Geocaching!

2XL
04-04-2004, 20:34
I do not have a GPS unit. I do have a compass, so instead of Geocaching I Letterbox. Give it a try. There are letterboxes at the Greenway Greenery.
http://www.letterboxing.org/

2XL

Texas Dreamer
04-05-2004, 14:28
I work at a historic site in Austin, TX. About once a week a group of people comes rushing up, laughing and having a great time, takes a quick picture and rushes off again. I finally asked one group what was going on--and they were geocaching. It looked fun, but these groups miss out on a lot by not stopping longer to take a tour or to look around. Just like on a hike--don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Icicle
04-06-2004, 07:29
I have done a few geocache's in my area. I bought a travel bug with the intent of watching it travel the States and then make it's way back to the UK. (All of which I put in the zip log with my "Happy go Puppy" travel bug). Anyway, I was visiting my mom in Pensacola, went to a cache near her house and anxiously waited to read of my Puppy's travels.

He made it to Tennesse and then was stolen from the cache. Needless to say I was devestated! He has yet to resurface (it's been over a year now)! It's a shame when people log into that website and then go find caches with the sole intent of doing damage, stealing, etc.

I would do it again though, just haven't gotten around to it, and this winter/spring I haven't wanted to venture out in the cold England weather!

Reverie
04-06-2004, 14:48
I have geocached for a couple of years. I really like to do during the winter when the leaves are off the trees because it helps improve the signal. I use an eTrex Legend which is comparable to the SportTrek by Magellin. It's sort of like sleeping bags, every unit has it's advantages and disadvantages and it usually comes down to taste. I am hopeful that good quality units will soon exist that are lighter and smaller. I actually hike with a unit, even though it weighs more than I would care for. That being said, I find it really useful when exploring new and usually unmarked trails. The "bread crumb" trail usually helps me find my way back.

When you start geocaching read all the clues people leave. Gradually work yourself up to just using the coordinates. That was how I did it and I found that rewarding. Of course you should "hunt your own cache" :)

One other thing is don't spend too much on trinkets to leave behind. Once I got one, I simply moved it to the next cache (unless my kids find it and start playing with it. Then I simply steal one from the kids so it all comes out even, right?)

PushingDaisies
04-16-2004, 21:24
I do not have a GPS unit. I do have a compass, so instead of Geocaching I Letterbox. Give it a try. There are letterboxes at the Greenway Greenery.
http://www.letterboxing.org/

2XL

I had run across a letterbox at a shelter in PA.

There was a thru hiker in 2003 that was finding and placing letterboxes in the area of the trail, but I didn't know about this until after my hike this year.

It's a great mix of hiking and "treasure hunting".