PDA

View Full Version : Cohutta Wilderness Experts?

Tipi Walter
11-27-2008, 11:01
I'm looking for some backpacking experts on the Cohuttas. A trip is planned and was wondering where the best places to long-term park on the TN side of the wilderness.

bloodmountainman
11-27-2008, 13:04
The long term parking areas on the Cohutta Wilderness are all risky at best. There has been vandalism in the past. These parking areas are in remote locations off of Forest Service roads. You just have to take your chances.
Most of the parking areas on the Tennessee side are off of FS 221. These are the parking areas I am most familiar with.
Pace Gap....Wolf Ridge trailhead
Big Creek andYellow Stand Lead trailhead
Low Gap.... Grassy Gap trailhead
Chestnut Ridge....Fork Ridge tailhead
These trails intersect with other interior trails such as Big Frog andLicklog Ridge Trails.

Tipi Walter
11-27-2008, 13:54
Thanks for the head's up. I'll check my map and add your info.

Big Sky
11-27-2008, 15:24
I am more familiar with the GA side of the wilderness, but I have done a whole lot of hiking in both GA and TN.

Exactly how long term are we talking? I might consider asking a friend to drop you off...those types of things are always difficult to coordinate but I've heard of vandalism in the past and I have some buddies who all went on a trip together and got their windows busted.

Tipi Walter
11-27-2008, 17:32
I am more familiar with the GA side of the wilderness, but I have done a whole lot of hiking in both GA and TN.

Exactly how long term are we talking? I might consider asking a friend to drop you off...those types of things are always difficult to coordinate but I've heard of vandalism in the past and I have some buddies who all went on a trip together and got their windows busted.

I was thinking about a 10 day trip and possibly parking long-term at the Ocoee Whitewater Center and getting on the BMT thru Big Frog and tieing into the Cohutta this way, although I'd like to park further south like Three Forks Mt or Betty Gap. Dolly Gap also looks good, midway up on the east side. I'm obviously a newb to the area and ignorant to the parking setup but as usual I got my maps and that's almost enough.

BTW, in the center of the Cohutta there seems to be a major creek called Rough Creek with no trail running along its length. Anybody know why? Looks like a great place to hike.

MOWGLI
11-27-2008, 19:12
I was thinking about a 10 day trip and possibly parking long-term at the Ocoee Whitewater Center and getting on the BMT thru Big Frog and tieing into the Cohutta this way, although I'd like to park further south like Three Forks Mt or Betty Gap. Dolly Gap also looks good, midway up on the east side. I'm obviously a newb to the area and ignorant to the parking setup but as usual I got my maps and that's almost enough.

BTW, in the center of the Cohutta there seems to be a major creek called Rough Creek with no trail running along its length. Anybody know why? Looks like a great place to hike.

Your vehicle should be safe at the Whitewater Center. Certainly safer than at a trailhead in the forest.

bloodmountainman
11-28-2008, 00:27

Check your maps for East Cowpen and Jacks River trails. There is an interior trail called the Rough Ridge trail that connects these trails.It is a ridgeline trail above rough creek. It is the longest interior trail in the area at 7 miles. Never done it but sounds like an adventure. There are endless long distance loops to do.

Hammock Hanger
11-28-2008, 21:25
I hiked through the Cohutta back in the 90's with my husband and a deer adopted us for about 6 hours. We never feed him but he stayed with us on the trail. If we got to far ahead he would run up to us. When we stopped for a break he would browse around the area until be began to move again. When we strung up our hammocks for a nap he curled up next to my husband's hammock and took a nap with us. When dusk began to fall he went over and rubbed up against my husband and then me... he walked to the other side of the creek turned looked back at us and then he was off like a shot into the forest. It was definitely a magical experience. Here is a picture of the deer napping next to my husband.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5727&catid=member&imageuser=14

Phreak
11-28-2008, 22:53
I hiked through the Cohutta back in the 90's with my husband and a deer adopted us for about 6 hours. We never feed him but he stayed with us on the trail. If we got to far ahead he would run up to us. When we stopped for a break he would browse around the area until be began to move again. When we strung up our hammocks for a nap he curled up next to my husband's hammock and took a nap with us. When dusk began to fall he went over and rubbed up against my husband and then me... he walked to the other side of the creek turned looked back at us and then he was off like a shot into the forest. It was definitely a magical experience. Here is a picture of the deer napping next to my husband.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5727&catid=member&imageuser=14
Great pic!

Tennessee Viking
11-29-2008, 03:07
Check with Pawee and Hatman, they are BMT maintainers from the Ocoee into the Frogs.

Big Sky
11-29-2008, 10:40

If you're going to be gone for that long I highly suggest the whitewater center. I've parked at Betty Gap and Three Forks many times and never had any problems, but I don't suggest that for more than an overnight or a three day.

Also, rough ridge trail is a fun trail. It's not really rough at all. It's got some nice views in the winter. I've hiked it a few times. One of the times I hiked it there were so many signs of boar that we wanted to turn around...bears don't really scare me but wild boar wig me out...

That picture of that deer is awesome. What an amazing story to tell!

Which map do you have of the Cohuttas? There are two that I have used, with the National Geographic (http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/392/797/246.html) one being the better of the two imho. Also, this (http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/western/cohutta_wilderness.html)site may be of help.

Tipi Walter
11-29-2008, 13:15
Big Sky: I've been doing some research and will have the Homan Cohutta book in my greedy hands by tomorrow. I also have the National G map and it shows the whole area from Tellico Plains all the way south. It's good but as usual the sides are cut off so it has to be used with a regular state road map.

I found this website with some good topo maps available for downloading. I'm looking to see if there's a paper topo foldable map put out by the forest service, much like the old Citico/Slickrock map. At 7.5 minutes, it's the best of the lot. My only real consideration is long-term parking, other than that I don't really care where I enter or which trail I start out on.

http://www.georgiahikes.com/maps/

CBSSTony
11-29-2008, 13:57
The best maps I know of for this area are the Nat Geo #781, and USGS topomaps. The ones from Forest Service, like the Chattahoochee Nat For map has no contour lines. If you park at the Whitewater Center, find the bridge close to it, it will save you a road walk to the BMT.

Hammock Hanger
11-29-2008, 19:39
[quote=Big Sky;731642] One of the times I hiked it there were so many signs of boar that we wanted to turn around...bears don't really scare me but wild boar wig me out...

quote]

Boars are very common in the south. One of my son's favorite times of the hike was after dark when the fire was out... the pigs would come into camp and he would watch them from his tent.

I have awoke on more then one occasion during the night to find them under my hammock.

MoBill122
12-01-2008, 17:51
I just KNOW I will totally freak out when some hog/bear/coyote/dog/etc comes under my hammock and sniffs my butt.... OMG.... I WILL SCREAM !

bloodmountainman
12-01-2008, 19:40
I just KNOW I will totally freak out when some hog/bear/coyote/dog/etc comes under my hammock and sniffs my butt.... OMG.... I WILL SCREAM !
I was there the night the acorns were falling on and around your hammock....... thought that was a screech owl!!!!;)

MoBill122
12-01-2008, 20:49
I knew you wouldn't let that slip by......

Oh...send me a PM with phone number, I still will need shuttle help some day when I decided to finish that section from Jarrard to Three Forks.

Oh my... thats where the coyotes are too !

Hammock Hanger
12-01-2008, 21:15

How about a head coming up between you legs, when a misguided hammocker returns to the WRONG hammock after a midnight nature call!!! Oh my!!:p

Tipi Walter
12-01-2008, 22:42
I got to talk to the Ocoee Whitewater Center supervisor today and she told me there's no overnight parking allowed, but she did mention something about Thunder Rock campground having a couple of parking lots for cars. It's just about a mile from the OWC. Puts one at the BMT trailhead heading south into the Big Frog/Cohutta.

Hikerhead
12-02-2008, 02:15
I got to talk to the Ocoee Whitewater Center supervisor today and she told me there's no overnight parking allowed, but she did mention something about Thunder Rock campground having a couple of parking lots for cars. It's just about a mile from the OWC. Puts one at the BMT trailhead heading south into the Big Frog/Cohutta.

I think that would be your best place. It's a large parking lot. Go across the bridge and behind the power plant and park on the right hand side when you come into the lot. This will put you near the power plant with plenty of lights.
I have left my car there twice for a week each time without any problems. Plus they have really nice bathrooms and I believe showers also but that may be closed down in the winter.