PDA

View Full Version : 2009 thru hike start and finish advice needed

ATX-Hiker
11-27-2008, 12:54
I'm delaying going back to school to finish my Geography degree to thru hike the trail in 2009. I need to be finished by mid August to make it back home for school, I can't afford to 2 semesters off:rolleyes:. I have a few questions.

1. Considering the average time to hike is 6 months, If I leave mid-February is it realistic to finish at my goal of mid August?

2. Aside from the extra cold weather gear I'll be hauling, is there anything else I should take into account leaving GA in February?

3. How many hikers, I know this probably hard to answer, decide on a slightly early start date like myself?

I know these questions have probably already been asked on here before, I appreciate any insight.

Lone Wolf
11-27-2008, 13:00
1. yes. very realistic. you'll probably finish sooner
2. won't be a ton of folks
3. quite a few start early these days. you won't be alone for sure

ATX-Hiker
11-27-2008, 13:08
Seeing as you think my goals are realistic, when do you think would be latest I could start and finish by my goal of mid august? Is there any advantages or disadvantages of starting in mid-february or waiting a couple of weeks till the first of march? Thanks LW.

Lilred
11-27-2008, 13:17
One thing you may want to take into account is the down time you might have due to weather. Plan for extra zero days and extra money to spend on hotels in case you have to bail out. A few unplanned days in town can really affect the wallet.

bigboots
11-27-2008, 13:23
One advantage of starting early when you have a deadline to finish, is that you don't need to rush the trip. If you find yourself on the trail way ahead of schedule, take your time and enjoy it! You should have plenty of time to finish and you won't have ot worry about having to end your trip early due to time.

Panzer1
11-27-2008, 13:28
I think if you allow 6 months to do the trip that you will enjoy yourself more because you will have more time to take off for: rest, bad weather and just to have fun.

Panzer

Panzer1
11-27-2008, 13:34
2. Aside from the extra cold weather gear I'll be hauling, is there anything else I should take into account leaving GA in February?you may/will have more zero days due to bad weather compared to those who start later like in late March or early April. This can result in more town days resulting is more expense.

Also, some services may be closed in February.

Panzer

Panzer1
11-27-2008, 13:43
3. How many hikers, I know this probably hard to answer, decide on a slightly early start date like myself?There is a bunch of crazy people who like to start in February for various reasons:
1) You can bring fresh meat and other fresh foods without having to worry about it spoiling. ie: You could have bacon and eggs every day for breakfast.
2) no biting bugs like chiggers, mosquito's, ticks
3) no poison ivy
4) the woods are beautiful in February especially after a snow.

Panzer

garlic08
11-27-2008, 14:18
Is six months really the average? I met a lot of four-month hikers this year.

I left in April and finished in July. I missed most of the bugs and most of the heat. Nice hiking then.

A-Train
11-27-2008, 20:28
You could start in early March. I started March 1 and many others were trying to finish before the fall semester.

Most finished in late July or the first week in August. There's no reason a reasonably in shape 28 year old with a light pack can't hike the trail in 4-5 months and have lots of time for fun and relaxation.

Deadeye
11-27-2008, 21:52
Hey, you're getting a geography degree, just like me. Take your time, hike all you want, because a few years after you graduate, you'll be going back to get a degree in something that offers employment opportunities!

Just like me.

C'mon, just start hiking, and go for as long as you can.

Serial 07
11-27-2008, 22:08
i love the responses...a february start definitely gives you freedom of expressing yourself via the zero...and express man, express...even if you left in march, you probably (i didn't use "should" here, cause livin' the dream can be a slow procedure sometimes) will finish in plenty of time...

have fun, don't rush, but stay focused...the end is as beautiful an experience as any on the trail...hope to see ya out there!

Jim Adams
11-27-2008, 22:14
How much cold weather hiking have you done?
If alot, a February start won't be bad. You may infact spend less money if you are able to spend the weather related zero days in your tent or a shelter instead of town. With the cold weather, you will not need to wash your clothes as much or shower as much because you shouldn't get as dirty or sweaty there for need town less often.
OTOH, if you are not used to cold weather hiking and more important cold weather camping then you may end up spending more time in the towns than others meaning , you will spend far more.
Cold weather hiking and camping isn't difficult but it is different. It does require better equipment and alot of common sense to remain safe AND happy. Remember, there is no such thing as bad weather...only bad clothing!

geek

Kirby
11-28-2008, 08:55
You could start early March and finish by mid August. A lot of people who I started with that were planning to finish in late August finished in early to med August.

Kirby

Bigglesworth
11-28-2008, 11:44
If you wait until March 1 or so, you can probably avoid some of the tough weather, which takes many people out mentally as much or more so than physically. You'll still likely have some nasty weather, though. Starting earlier gives you more zero freedom, which you may find you need and want early on as you round into AT shape and take a break from the cold. Also, think NERO, so you can get in out of the cold occasionally, but make the miles you need, if that becomes an issue...

double j
11-28-2008, 12:45
im not a thru hiker . but id say it all depends on your mind,body,and soul.......good luck

ATX-Hiker
11-28-2008, 12:46
Hey, you're getting a geography degree, just like me. Take your time, hike all you want, because a few years after you graduate, you'll be going back to get a degree in something that offers employment opportunities!

Just like me.

C'mon, just start hiking, and go for as long as you can.

Hopefully by the time I graduate, the EPA and the NPS and SP's will be hopefully be on the rebound from the past 8 years, and there will be some kind of jobs, GIS is also really hot.