PDA

View Full Version : What about my hair!?

Swheeler05
11-27-2008, 12:55
Ok ladies, I know this isn't the most pressing issue on Whiteblaze... but I need some advise! I have SUPER curly crazy hair naturally and it gets gnarly knots in it even after just one day of not washing it. I don't want my hair to become a hassle, so I have considered a few options for my '09 AT thru hike:

1) Cutting it pretty short before I go (although some tears might be shed)
2) Dreading it
3) Braiding it every day
4) Just leaving it, and hoping no bugs or small animals get lost in it :D

Any input would be awesome... especially if you share my curse/blessing of having crazy unruly locks! Thanks all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Lilred
11-27-2008, 13:21
I would do option 1 or 3. I've seen lots of women with their hair braided on the trail. If you cut it and you can get nine inches, donating it to locks for love would take some of the sting out of it.

Dreads get way too dirty and collect stuff.

Big Sky
11-27-2008, 15:28
Do what makes you happiest of course, but my advice from person experience is to hack it off. I've donated to locks of love a total of 3 times in my life, and I have very thick hair, so I know what it's like to have long, unruly hair on a hike and it sucks. I keep my hair short now a days. It's nice in the summer when it's so hot, but I think is especially nice in the winter. I am a sweaty person and my head will sometimes sweat even in the winter under my cap. It's nice for it to not take forever to get dry when it's so cold out...

Dreads are pretty awesome, though, and might make for some killer pictures. You'd really get that crazed mountain-woman look going :)

Gaiter
11-27-2008, 15:35
if you do dreads you want your dreads to be well developed before you start hiking, many don't know how clean good dreads are

i've got wavy hair too, i carry a small comb, to comb through it once a day when hiking otherwise it will turn into a dread

but as big sky said do what makes you happy!

fancyfeet
11-27-2008, 15:59
Either option 1 or 3.

If you decide to cut it, be sure to donate your hair. Then the loss goes to a worthy cause. Locks of love needs 10 inches or more. Pantene needs 8 or more. LOL makes permanent wigs for children with hair loss and Pantene makes wigs for women undergoing chemotherapy. There are probably other options as well, which you can search online. LOL sends you a postcard thanking you for donating. You can also see before and after pics of kids who have received their new wigs on their website (locksoflove dot org).

If you decide to braid it, be sure to comb it out every day and rebraid it, otherwise it will still get matted. You could even go with tight braids, like cornrows, that can stay in for up to a month, but then you'll have to find someone to redo it periodically.

If you chose 2 or 4, you'd just end up chopping it off in the end and then no one would benefit, as dreads or matted hair can't be donated.

Red Hat
11-27-2008, 16:06
Braid it! Please don't cut it off! And don't give it to LOL, they just sell it. Almost none of the hair they get is actually used for wigs for children as they say. Instead they sell the hair they get and buy a few synthetic wigs for some of the kids. Some rich folks will get your hair for weaves.

fancyfeet
11-27-2008, 16:26
Some pretty inflammatory accusations there, RH. What's your basis for it? According to LOL, any hair they are unable to use due to shorter length, color (gray or unnatural colors) will be sold. But the proceeds go right back into their organization in order to make wigs with the hair they can use. The synthetic wigs are given to children under 9, because their head is still too small for their permanent wig. When they are 9, they get their permanent, fitted real hair wig. These wigs are meant to be for a lifetime for children with permanent hair loss.

I personally support hair donation. If you don't like LOL, use another organization. There are others.

Don't be swayed by one person's opinion, mine or RH's. Look into it and make your own.

And what's the big deal with cutting it? It grows back!

peanuts
11-27-2008, 16:32
Some pretty inflammatory accusations there, RH. What's your basis for it? According to LOL, any hair they are unable to use due to shorter length, color (gray or unnatural colors) will be sold. But the proceeds go right back into their organization in order to make wigs with the hair they can use. The synthetic wigs are given to children under 9, because their head is still too small for their permanent wig. When they are 9, they get their permanent, fitted real hair wig. These wigs are meant to be for a lifetime for children with permanent hair loss.

I personally support hair donation. If you don't like LOL, use another organization. There are others.

Don't be swayed by one person's opinion, mine or RH's. Look into it and make your own.

And what's the big deal with cutting it? It grows back!

well said!!! i donated 20" this past july when i cut my hair....:)

fancyfeet
11-27-2008, 17:08
Thanks, Peanuts! Wow, 20" is awesome! 15 and 19 for me. Donating sure feels good to me.

I have hiked with both long and short hair. Either one works, but if it's long, it's gotta be braided. Even fine hair gets matted after a few days.

Tilly
11-28-2008, 11:59
This is my 2 cents...

I would not initially cut your hair. I would braid it, bring a wide tooth comb, and maybe throw some conditioner into your resupply boxes if you're doing it that way. If you want to cut your hair down the line, if you decide it's too much hassle, that's one thing, but I would at least try it to start with.

Also, if you have curly hair that's easily knotted, I wouldn't even use shampoo on it, just conditioner to wash it, that way it'll be easier to deal with in the "field." I hardly ever use shampoo anymore. It just makes my hair harder to work with and more tangly.

Hooch
11-28-2008, 12:03
Just GI Jane it. No muss, no fuss. It's just hair, it'll grow back. :D

yappy
11-28-2008, 12:11
i have alot of curly hair too.. i just cut it.. but keep my neck covered cuz of sun. it still gets gross .. so what ! feels great when it is clean.. ahh, the joys of distance hiking.

Christopher Robin
11-28-2008, 13:59
I found in the Summer I was glad I had my hair cut short. If it was a very hot day hikeing @ I came into camp late I could rub my hiar w/a warm cloth @ feel good. But I'm going to start my thur-hike end of March next year so I'm to have it cut a litte longer.

karoberts
11-28-2008, 14:23
You may not have to cut it. I have exceptionally knotty hair. It tangles like you wouldn't believe and is very long. But on the trail, it was not a problem. This is what I did:

1. Never wash it without conditioner.
2. If you don't have conditioner, just rinse it in hot water - no soap.
3. If you have conditioner, use lots.
4. Do not brush or comb after showering. Just use your fingers.
5. Wear in a braid during the day.
6. Let it down to dry when you stop hiking and then braid after dry.
7. The dirtier and greasier it gets, the less tangled it will be.

After my 6 week section, my hair was so healthy and shiny.

kanga
11-28-2008, 14:42
Ok ladies, I know this isn't the most pressing issue on Whiteblaze... but I need some advise! I have SUPER curly crazy hair naturally and it gets gnarly knots in it even after just one day of not washing it. I don't want my hair to become a hassle, so I have considered a few options for my '09 AT thru hike:

2) Dreading it
3) Braiding it every day

Any input would be awesome... especially if you share my curse/blessing of having crazy unruly locks! Thanks all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

girl! you just don't know. check out some of my pics and you'll see "the hair". i know exactly what you're talking about and for pete's sake, don't cut it! i keep mine braided almost the entire time while i'm hiking, doesn't matter the distance. i'll pour water over my head and finger comb it out but that's about it (takes about 20 minutes...) if you take a comb get a big "detangler" one. only one i've ever found that i could use without conditioner if i had to. and that's coming from someone that can't get her fingers through her hair sometimes.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/maiabelladona/images-1.jpg

BumpJumper
11-28-2008, 19:43
Girl your best bet was to do a poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAID

Red Hat
11-28-2008, 19:46
Some pretty inflammatory accusations there, RH. What's your basis for it? Just do a google search on "Locks of Love scam" and read a few of the discussions. They receive far more hair than they use and they sell it. (which means it ends up as some one's extensions) I just feel bad whenever someone says they are donating to LOL because I know they are being duped. They feed on people's need to do something charitable. sad... sure it grows back, but it takes time

spencerb
11-28-2008, 20:01
This post got me thinking about what I would do with my hair.

Sheesh, why we got to have all these things to think about...

I'll probably just cut mine off though.

Big Sky
11-29-2008, 10:23
Best thing about cutting your hair--it grows back! You'll live without it for a while.

fancyfeet
11-30-2008, 02:36
Sorry, this will be a long post...don't read if you're not interested in the subject.

Just do a google search on "Locks of Love scam" and read a few of the discussions. They receive far more hair than they use and they sell it. (which means it ends up as some one's extensions) I just feel bad whenever someone says they are donating to LOL because I know they are being duped. They feed on people's need to do something charitable. sad... sure it grows back, but it takes time

Ok, I looked. I actually spent several hours researching this, because I am very interested in the topic. In the end, I must humbly disagree with your assesment. Here is what I have found:

Yes, there are many discussions on the issue. What I found was a lot of people stating things they'd heard as if they were fact. The only negative "factual" source I could find was a NY Times article that, in turn, cited no sources for the information, only unsubstantiated opinions. This article was subsequently rebutted by LOL's president (who works 30 hours a week for $0 compensation).

I also checked a couple of charity review sites:
1) charity navigator dot org, which rates LOL at 4 stars (out of 4) for fiscal responsibility (only judges their financial aspects, not whether they live up to their mission, etc.). Conversely, the ATC only has 3 stars and the American Cancer Society only has 2 stars.
2) Independent Charities of America (independent charities dot org) rates LOL as one of America's Best Charities. There's no rating scale with this site (also a nonprofit charity), only criteria to be met. There are many criteria, notably "Applicants' fund raising materials and other information to the public must be truthful and nondeceptive." ATC also makes the cut on this site. American Cancer Society does not.

I was unable to find any negative information on the charity from an independent site (not all charities are rated by all sites).

Most of the bad publicity comes from misinformation. I have personally seen Tyra Banks and others on TV claiming that the hair would go to "cancer patients", which is typically not the case. An informed donor would go to the source itself (rather than celebrities or webblogs) to find out what they need to know about a charity before deciding if you agree with their practices.

In all fairness, I must edit myself, as well. In my earlier post, I said that children under 9 receive the synthetic wigs. It's actually children under 6, according to locks of love. That due to the fact that smaller children's heads grow too fast to use a custom wig for very long. Additionally, I stated that the wigs were intended to be permanent. They can be, however, children receiving LOL pieces are able to apply for a new one every 18 months if they choose. LOL also repairs the hairpieces as necessary.

From LOL: The only hair that is sold is the hair that doesn't meet the criteria. The good hair is sent to a separate firm which further culls the hair individually. Say you send them a 10" braid. They send it out to the manufacturer, who separates out any shorter, gray or damaged hairs. Two inches are used in processing, for the anchoring and trimming, I guess. Then they have an 8" wig, which falls to the jawline. These are sold back to LOL at wholesale (approx. $1000). Those are paid for from the money LOL got from selling the 8" braids, etc.

The shorter wigs are typically used for boys, while girls usually ask for longer hair. Most of the cost of any real hair wig is taken up in the labor process. Everything is done by hand and can take weeks to months. The material value of the hair is much less.

I also saw claims that LOL "badgers" long-haired women to cut their hair. I have had long hair much of my life, down to my butt before my last cut. No one from locks of love ever contacted me or badgered me to cut it for donation. Nor did anyone on the street, no salon, no Oprah, no Tyra.

Here is a quote from an LOL receipient:
" My name is Courtney and I am 16 years old. When I was in 1st grade I lost my hair. Since I was only 6 years old at the time, I can't say I really knew what exactly was going on. All I knew was that little girls were supposed to have long beautiful hair and I wanted to know why I suddenly didn't have any. We proceeded in getting wigs and it wasn't until 6th grade that I really started becoming interested in Locks of Love. Normal wigs are usually pretty uncomfortable and have a hard time staying on. I had many situations in my life where it actually has fallen off in public and I was left in humiliation. When I got my Locks of Love wig, my life completely changed. I never once had to worry about people pulling it off, not being able to go swimming, running, I could finally put it up, put some curl into it, or do normal things that girls want to do with their hair. I finally could do it all. It made me feel normal again. I became just like everyone else. Locks of Love is an amazing organization that changed my life and I'm sure changed a million others! It gives kids the opportunity to feel like everybody else and not have to worry about anything at all!"

For the record: I am not interested in convincing anyone to cut their hair if they don't want to. Nor do I care which organization donors would choose. There are a few to choose from. I posted "If you decide to cut it, be sure to donate it". I don't think everyone should cut their hair. Long hair is beautiful and I surely enjoy mine when I have it. But why oh why would it be preferrable to just throw it away?

Peace,
Fancy

Blissful
11-30-2008, 13:41
I cut mine and glad I did. A little above shoulder length and worked for me between washings, but I have straight hair.

BarleyRain
12-09-2008, 02:56
I've got incredibly thick, tangly hair. Couldn't bear dreads or chopping it off, at least initially. I brought a detangler comb which I used morning and night, and kept it pulled off my face with a bandanna around my head during the day. It worked.

That being said, I did chop most of it off in Waynesboro. But not because of tangling - because it was WAY too hot when we had weeks of 95 degree weather.

Just remember, if you try something more conservative first you can always change your mind later if it's not working. Chopping it all off is reversible too but will take awhile. :-)

drastic_quench
12-09-2008, 07:45
... The only negative "factual" source I could find was a NY Times article that, in turn, cited no sources for the information, only unsubstantiated opinions. This article was subsequently rebutted by LOL's president (who works 30 hours a week for $0 compensation)...

Peace,
Fancy

I don't have an opinion on the issue, but I just wanted to say that newspaper articles don't have to formally cite their sources in text because of the fact checking and editor review they're subject too. Now if it was a letter to the editor, none of that applies.

corialice81
12-09-2008, 09:49
I hiked this past summer and I woke up with tangled hair each morning.

Living in Boone, NC, I decided to dread my hair. I actually found a stylist who helped me get started.

I LOVE IT! I do admit it's not for every person and you need to make sure this is what you want to do before you do it.

If you decide to dread it, it takes a LOT of maintaince in the beginning. And it's not true what people say about them being nasty. I wash mine twice a week and I use shea butter NOT bees wax.

You can have clean, well maintained dreads - I do!:banana

Check out the pics of when I went to get my hair did. This was about two months ago.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2161971&l=dcd15&id=29717001

Red Hat
12-09-2008, 10:45
Okay, Cori, looks cute and I wouldn't even recognize you! (you look a bit like wakapak now) But, dumb question, when you decide to get rid of them, do they comb out or do you have to cut them?

corialice81
12-09-2008, 13:02
Okay, Cori, looks cute and I wouldn't even recognize you! (you look a bit like wakapak now) But, dumb question, when you decide to get rid of them, do they comb out or do you have to cut them?

Not a dumb question...

It depends, if I decided to get rid of them, I would probably have to cut them out since I've had them for a long time now. Initally, I probably could have used a lot of conditioner and combed it out.

Generally, people just cut them. Mine are small in diameter so I would probably try combing first...

Good question Red Hat!:D

Idealist
12-09-2008, 14:15
I recommend cutting.

I started the trail with my hair long. Long hair is hot! Even in a pony tail/braids. I brushed it daily and it took forever to comb out the tangles. 150 miles in, my husband cut 13 inches off with a pair of kitchen scissors in a tiny hotel bathroom! (Not ideal, but effective) I loved it.

If you’re nervous about cutting it then don’t. There are scissors on the trail; you can always change your mind.

TomWc
12-09-2008, 15:15
Sorry for intruding ladies, and I hope nobody takes this any other way than it is meant. I just want to say that short hair on hiker babes is hawt. :clap But then so are dreads...and long hair...and shoulder length.... :D:sun

BumpJumper
12-09-2008, 15:23
There are scissors on the trail; you can always change your mind.

That's the best advise so far...:D

Frau
12-10-2008, 12:47
calice81--

Thanks so much for posting the photos of the dread work at the beauty shop. My students are fascinated!

Frau

corialice81
12-10-2008, 12:51
calice81--

Thanks so much for posting the photos of the dread work at the beauty shop. My students are fascinated!

Frau

No problem. So are my family, friends, and co-workers! I've always seen people with or without them. I've never seen anyone in the "process" so to speak. I look at each experience educationally (I guess that's why I like to teach) so this was no different.

BTW, I still love them! :D

JERMM
12-10-2008, 13:25
I met two girls in Central VA this fall, one had had all she could take of her own hair, the other pulled out a pocket knife then proceeded to give her friend a haircut. You can imagine what it looked like, but the girl with the new doo was happy regardless of how she looked.

Gaiter
12-14-2008, 19:43
just out of curiosity question for those who recommend cutting hair: what is your hair type (curly, wavy, straight, thin, thick?

i ask because i know the shorter my hair is the tighter it curls, and the harder it is to keep my hair from knoting....

Frau
12-14-2008, 20:04
I wouldn't know how to advise someone about haircutting. MY hair is long and medium texture. While hiking I wear it in a ponytail and I USE it as a ponytail--to swat flying things that get around my ears and face. Those of your with curly hair may not find your hair in a ponytail useful.

Just wanted to relate what I do, with my type of hair. I can't stand my hair in my face and bangs are a complete impossibility.

Good luck on your decisions, ladies!

Frau

kanga
12-14-2008, 23:08
very long, very thick, very curly. if i cut it short i would look like buckwheat. so i braided it.

Pokey2006
12-15-2008, 03:23
I'm a little miffed by the notion that IF I cut my hair, I SHOULD donate it. Why? It's dead tissue. Why shouldn't I just toss it in the trash? Like there's something wrong with me if I do something that -- gasp! -- doesn't benefit anyone. Not that I'm against people donating hair, but if you really want to do some good, sign up to be a bone marrow donor, donate a kidney, or just give a pint of blood, instead. Don't get on your high horse over a handful of HAIR.

Anyway, that said, I have two answers to the original question, based on my experience. On the AT, I kept my hair long. The longer it is, the easier it is to pull back in a pony tail, or, as I often preferred in the heat, in pigtails. BUT, when I hiked in the tropical heat in Asia, I only lasted one day with long hair. It got so sweat-soaked, matted and tangled, I had a friend chop it off. I ended up loving how much easier it was too keep my hair clean after that.

The short answer: keep it long to being with. If it starts to bug you, just have someone lop it off when you get to town. And don't feel guilty if you throw the hair in the trash instead of donating it...

2011_thruhiker
12-16-2008, 11:26
I have long hair too-what I do is carry a very smal amount of baby oil for in between washes and use a drop on my hair to unmatt it. I then put it up in a tight bun as this becomes an extra place to store rope and bobby pins. This seems to work well for me.

bobbyw
12-18-2008, 13:21
I'm a little miffed by the notion that IF I cut my hair, I SHOULD donate it. Why? It's dead tissue. Why shouldn't I just toss it in the trash? Like there's something wrong with me if I do something that -- gasp! -- doesn't benefit anyone. Not that I'm against people donating hair, but if you really want to do some good, sign up to be a bone marrow donor, donate a kidney, or just give a pint of blood, instead. Don't get on your high horse over a handful of HAIR.

Anyway, that said, I have two answers to the original question, based on my experience. On the AT, I kept my hair long. The longer it is, the easier it is to pull back in a pony tail, or, as I often preferred in the heat, in pigtails. BUT, when I hiked in the tropical heat in Asia, I only lasted one day with long hair. It got so sweat-soaked, matted and tangled, I had a friend chop it off. I ended up loving how much easier it was too keep my hair clean after that.

The short answer: keep it long to being with. If it starts to bug you, just have someone lop it off when you get to town. And don't feel guilty if you throw the hair in the trash instead of donating it...

if your hair is long enough to donate, there's is absolutely no reason not to. take a pair of scissors and cut a straight line of 9+ inches of hair, then just give it away. hell, I can't image 99.99% of salons or barber shops in town wouldn't handle donating it for you.

Live the Journey
01-06-2009, 12:25
I say cut it...since I was in the 8th grade, I pretty much grow my hair out long then cut it short...grow long, cut short.

I'm actually thinking about shaving my head for a charity (st. baldericks) which gives money donations to child cancer research for everyone who shaves their head...they have an event near my house on 3/3...about 2 weeks before I'm planning on leaving.

My frame of mind is that short hair for one is very easy to handle, and two, will be perhaps just under chin length by the time I finish. Then I can treat myself to a sassy new hair cut when I get home!

Also, I figure that if I get a tick or something on my head, approaching someone with tweezers to get it off would be a whole lot easier for them if my hair was short, not a big old curly knot!

Jan LiteShoe
01-06-2009, 13:35
Another perspective.
Hair up/hair down is part of my hiking strategy.

While my hair wasn't long-long on my 2003 thru, it was long and tangly enough to require some thought and care. Mainly I used conditioner whenever I found it in hiker boxes, and once in awhile bought some and left it behind for others. And I carried a light, wide-toothed comb.

I personally would not want to cut my hair for a thru, at least at first. I get cold easily, and my hair was part of my "warmth system." Having hair really makes a difference! ;-)

So, I kept a fabric-covered hair band on my hiking pole handle. Going up hill, even in winter, I'd generally put my hair up in one swift move (I got very efficient at this - there are ALOT of hills in 2,172.6 miles, LOL!). You create alot of heat backpacking up a slope. Cresting the mountain, I'd ventilate until I started to chill, usually within the first five minutes of descending. Zoop! Off would come the band, and my hair would tumble back down my neck, restoring warmth.

This simple system - of ventilating while climbing - keeps the pits and back drier in winter, one of the secrets to avoiding subsequent chill. (Besides the hair up/hair down, I'd also quickly vent my neck, or push my sleeves up while climbing to expose my neck/wrists for additional cooling).

The good news is, you FEEL beautiful on the trail. Strong, competent and vibrant, and that shows in your being, visual evidence to the contrary. But who cares - there are no mirrors on the trail! Hurray for that, LOL!

mindi
01-06-2009, 21:53
My hair is the same way, and I just left it. I packed a large-tooth comb and the bf had a brush, and every night I'd just sit and pick through it slowly. Granted, it was a pain in the ass.

The other thing I did was have my mom send me little bottles of conditioner in my maildrops, or buy a cheap bottle when I got into town. Wash hair first, then slather a crapload on and let it soak in for a while, then comb through with your fingers until you get the major tangles out, then follow up with the comb.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 10:38
OK I know Im a guy but I do have long hair and Im planning on letting it grow for about another year before I cut it (before christmas to make mom happy) Thanks for the info fancyfeet. I think locks of love is a great idea. Do you have the contact info?

Red Hat
01-07-2009, 12:05
...But who cares - there are no mirrors on the trail! Hurray for that, LOL! Right Jan, and whenever I'd get into town and look in a mirror, I couldn't believe it! They sure made me look old!!! I wasn't using any makeup, not even any moisturizer and my wrinkles seems to pop out. But my hair was always great, imo...

fancyfeet
01-17-2009, 00:12
OK I know Im a guy but I do have long hair and Im planning on letting it grow for about another year before I cut it (before christmas to make mom happy) Thanks for the info fancyfeet. I think locks of love is a great idea. Do you have the contact info?

Sure. No worries, Rockhound. Sometimes guys have nicer hair than us ladies, cuz you don't torture it as much. The website is: www.locksoflove.org

All the info you need is right there. Be sure to read the FAQ's and donation guidelines. Have fun.

Peace,
Fancy Feet

Chiaroscuro
01-17-2009, 12:45
Well.... I have long, very thick hair. It's long mostly to keep it out of my face and to a reasonable size silhouette.

I thought of cutting it short for my thru, but when I do that, I can't wear hats. My hair sticks straight up and out all around my head in the shape of my skull. Even at 4" long, I look like a hedgehog. I do fantasize about the unencumbered feeling of short hair.

In my town life, I only wash this mop once a week anyway. I brush it out with a plastic brush that is more like a comb in tine spacing. It goes into a pony tail - always, because I've never learned to braid it and when others braid for me it falls out within the hour.

So, I'm wondering if I can't just treat it as usual on the trail, wash it once a week in town. Hot doesn't bother me much - originally from Texas, wore it long there.

Tough decision.

Gypsy Heart
01-29-2009, 11:47
I've had dreds for 4 1/2 years, and they're almost down to my waist now. I've been having issues with so much hair on my hikes, but I really want to keep them. I'm hoping to do a thru in a few years (gotta save some $$$), so they're going to be even longer then. I really need to experiment more with putting them up. Maybe just trim them down to just above shoulder length when I go? They also weigh a lot since they contain most of the hair I would otherwise shed. A

And I, too, like the insulating properties of my hair in cold weather.

WritinginCT
01-29-2009, 12:34
Here's another hair question I've been pondering as I think about long distance hiking (meaning more than a month out)- my hair is dyed and has been for twenty years. How do folks deal with that while out on the trail? I do my own with Miss Clairol typically and figured that I could just take care of it when I took a town/hotel day. What do others do? Do you just chance an unknown salon along the way?

Blissful
01-29-2009, 12:39
Here's another hair question I've been pondering as I think about long distance hiking (meaning more than a month out)- my hair is dyed and has been for twenty years. How do folks deal with that while out on the trail? I do my own with Miss Clairol typically and figured that I could just take care of it when I took a town/hotel day. What do others do? Do you just chance an unknown salon along the way?

Let it go. :) My hair turned a blonde shade with the sun and the white and gray blended in. I only colored once in Erwin (I use Revlon, thought I would do it more but never did).

Red Hat
01-29-2009, 13:14
I colored and cut my hair until 2002. I was changing schools and cleaned out a desk with about 10 years of school photos. Every year I had the same bad hair cut and a different color hair (even though I used the same brand and dye color). I decided then and there that I wasn't fooling anyone. So I let my hair grow out to its natural color (adding a few "frostings" as it grew out). Now it is below my waist and I love it. Especially all the gray.

berninbush
01-29-2009, 14:17
I'm 30, with longer-than-waist-length hair. I'm already finding some white ones. I decided long ago that I will not dye my hair-- whatever color it naturally takes, that's what it will be.

My goal is to be like Aunt Mae in the movie "Twister"-- golden retriever, steak dinners, and all!

WritinginCT
01-29-2009, 15:18
Mine started going white at 20. My gran went from natural auburn to snow white by the time she was thirty and I took after her. Hence the dyeing lol...

Right now it's dyed black (which I *love*) but it shows my light roots like nobody's business as my hair grows. I'm considering stepping the color back down gradually to get it near my natural light brunette. Then I could just stop coloring and let nature take its course.

I like that frosting idea - it would be a way to blend stuff in :-? hmmmm.....

Doxie
02-04-2009, 20:34
Everyone I saw on the trail who had dark dyed hair where the grey would show when it grew out just picked up a bottle of Clairol when they were in town. I had long wavy hair that was dyed red before my thru and a week before I chopped it off into a short bob and dyed it light brown. The color I would do again, because the sun bleaches it and everything blends in. The cut, however, I regret. They made it too short to put in pigtails and it stuck out and got in my face all the time, and I STILL had to carry a brush to keep the knots out. And it's been a year since I cut it and it's still not even shoulder length. I guess my hair doesn't grow as fast as it used to, maybe the calorie deficit of a thru? If I had it to do over, I would braid it.

WritinginCT
02-04-2009, 22:36
A couple weeks ago I hacked off almost 8" -bringing mine up to shoulder length. Which is my favorite length for my hair. It still goes up in a ponytail or clip or if I leave it down it tucks behind my ears nicely. And I don't get too warm when it's down at this length either- always a plus.

PACTwink
03-07-2010, 18:51
I'm just beginning my research to hike the AT in 2011 and I stumbled upon this section, which is great!
My hair is long and straight, except when it's humid and then I look like Annie (so I guess I'll be looking like that during my entire hike). The main thing with my hair is that it gets oily in like 18 hours and I really can't go more than a day without shampooing. It feels gross, my scalp feels gross and tingly, and I can't even pull it back without getting tons of hair wanting to do it's own thing. I am a half-marathoner so I understand getting dirty and sweaty is all part of the deal, and there are no mirrors, and I'll be feeling generally dirty, but I would at least like non gross, oily hair that I can pull back in a ponytail and have it stay there.

Any suggestions?

Blissful
03-07-2010, 19:53
You're usually in town every 4 days for a shower. Honestly after a bit on the trail, its part of trail life. The only time I was bothered is when I knew I would be in civilization. Then I hit the shower quick.

I'd suggest though you cut it shorter.

Jan LiteShoe
03-07-2010, 20:22
My hair is long and straight, except when it's humid and then I look like Annie (so I guess I'll be looking like that during my entire hike). The main thing with my hair is that it gets oily in like 18 hours and I really can't go more than a day without shampooing. It feels gross, my scalp feels gross and tingly, and I can't even pull it back without getting tons of hair wanting to do it's own thing.

Any suggestions?

I have hair like yours. I got a perm before I left, just the basic big-roller " adds body" job. I got another in Connecticut, just before a dash off-trail to a wedding. That seemed to help tremendously with the oiliness.
I still looked like Annie though.
;-)
Good luck on your hike. A some point, hair won't matter, truly.

PACTwink
03-07-2010, 20:22
So it's not like you're spending weeks between real showers then? That's good to know.

I guess I should clarify long - slightly past shoulders. And I cut it short prior to a knee surgery and sadly that didn't help much :/

Panzer1
03-07-2010, 21:17
Bring whatever you need and shampoo it every day, weather permitting. It will set you back about a half hour but your hair will be clean and your morale will be higher. You can also wash your face while you're at it.

Panzer

coffeearmageddon
03-07-2010, 23:10
I'm having the same dilemma as you. I'm thinking about cutting mine, but I don't know if I'll actually go through with it. Mine isn't nearly as long as some of the others here, its a little past shoulder length, but super curly and knots easily. Its not long enough to look good in braids either.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have super short hair, kind of signifying a new beginning for the start of the hike. If I can get a really good haircut that is....

Sassafras Lass
03-08-2010, 14:48
My hair will be about 9-10" below the shoulder when I thru NOBO next March, and I'm just gonna rock braids and French braids. I know longer hair sucks, but I've been trying to grow it out and keep it healthy for a few years, and with braids you can keep it off your neck. I have a suspicious mole on the back of my neck, so on those super sunny days I'll just French braid it and let the braid cover my mole for extra protection.

drifters quest
03-08-2010, 17:19
I have very thick, curly, hair and it is past shoulder length. I would look horrible if I cut it up short. I plan on keeping my hair either braided or in a "messy bun" which seems to keep it from tangling as much. I will also have a hat on or bandana to keep the strays out of my face. Fortunately I don't have too wash it too often and I never brush it- just finger through it so that isn't a concern for me. I've been spoiled here, very dry in Wyoming.. i'll have to deal with the frizzies on the East Coast :)

K2
03-09-2010, 01:00
I used to know someone who used ethnic hair care products to keep her hair manageable.

Tilly
03-09-2010, 10:57
I have long hair, more than halfway down my back, and it is very thick, curly, and dry. I like having long hair and I kept it.

I didn't cut my hair for the trail, but I did have to keep up on it. Every morning, basically the first thing I did was comb my hair and braid it. I carried a shower comb with me. Some probably don't have to do this, but if I don't comb my hair, it will start to matt and then I'll get dreads in a few days.

So I carried a comb and braided every day. This less than 5 minutes and I got to keep my hair. The braid keeps your hair relatively clean, too. In town, I would buy a bottle of conditioner and wash with that, or if there was shampoo around I would shampoo first then wash with conditioner. This may seem excessive, but a bottle of White Rain or VO5 or Suave or something can cost a dollar--or less--and this is once a week we're talking. Even if I had shoulder length hair, I would need conditioner. I simply cannot get a comb through it without it.

Even in my regular routine I shampoo once a week only (conditioner wash otherwise) so this routine wasn't bad. Carrying a comb with me was worth all the weight (really only like 3 oz) to keep my hair, and like I said, unless I shaved my head, I would have to carry one and use conditioner anyway.

One thing I would recommed and wish that I had done is to get a good trim before you go, about 2 or 3 inches off, to protect your ends. This seems counter-intuitive, but I ended up going a year without a trim because I didn't get one before I left for the trail, and my ends fried. I've never really had split ends before but when I got home I noticed I had a ton of them a few inches up the length. I'm slowly getting them trimmed out.

Anyway, for those who want to keep their hair I don't think it's a big deal. A braid works really well, even better than a ponytail I think, because it keeps your hair untangled and also keeps your hair off your neck. I'm glad I kept my hair, it's almost down to my waist now.

Just my 2 cents.

aframe
03-09-2010, 19:22
I didn't cut my hair on my thru, just kept it in a tightish bun so it wouldn't tangle and wouldn stay off my neck.

I did cut it short when I worked outside in the Whites for summer/fall. The one thing I hated was that unless it was wet or I found a way to keep it flat again my head, it acted like a winter hat and made me overheat! My hair gets even more curly when it's short (especially ear-level short!), so it was like wearing two inches of insulation. Just something to think about if you decide to cut and you're trying to figure out the length. Wouldn't be a problem if you shaved it!

warraghiyagey
03-10-2010, 09:22
Twix has nice hair too. . . :):p

PACTwink
03-10-2010, 17:46
Has anyone tried to use dry shampoo? I've seen a small container of it at Ulta but never tried it.
Seems like the braiding is a popular answer - stylish and functional =)

singingpilgrim
03-18-2010, 07:00
My hair tangles if the wind blows. It's very, very thin and fine which makes it dry fast, but otherwise even more unmanageable than anyone I know with thick hair because it can be brittle and there's too little of it to fix it in most ways and many other reasons.

It's also slow-growing. I've been growing it out for four years, starting with it being jaw length and it's only like six inches past shoulder length.

I can't just shampoo it, I have to condition it every time or it mats. It mats if it gets wet when it's tangled, and it does literally tangle if the wind blows. Every morning it sticks out like a cockatoo and brushing it out typically takes anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes.

Sooooo... I'm bringing a silk mobcap to sleep in and a brush is a necessity, not a luxury, and I'm just going to have to deal! lol To me, the trail is worth destroyed hair. I will not cut it before I start and I will take the time to roll it up (faster than braiding) most days...

And if after I'm done my hair is utterly wrecked, which it probably will be, then I'll cut it... sigh... And if it's too far gone to be even jaw length I'll probably wear a wig b/c I look stupid with short hair. LOL (I know, I've tried!)

sbhikes
04-13-2010, 22:53
My hair is very long, straight, fine and brittle. It breaks the vacuum cleaner every time I vacuum. I get horrible static cling and flyaway hair, especially from the fabrics that hiking gear is made of.

Long ago it was short but it sucked for backpacking because I get killer hat hair. Sound so vain, but I get hat hair so bad sometimes even washing it doesn't cure the hat hair. So I have grown it long and now it looks good (or at least the same) all the time. I put it in a braid when backpacking and I don't take it out of the braid unless it starts falling out of the braid or until I get to a trail town and can wash it. Sometimes even though I stink to high heaven I can unbraid my hair and it still smells like shampoo. The braid really protects it.

The only trouble with the braid is that it's heavy and because my hair is fine and brittle I get headaches sometimes and hairs break. I have a lot of stray hairs. So I also wear a headband.

I would think curly hair in a braid would be secure and easy to manage.

Connie
04-14-2010, 21:43
I pull my long hair thru the back of a baseball-type hat.

I saw a jogger, with her hair like that.

I get outdoors all I can: often more than 10-days to 2-3 weeks.

I shampoo my hair, in the outdoors, using the Jason Klass wash up idea in one video.

Thank you, Jason Klass.

Joy
04-19-2010, 15:41
Mine started going white at 20. My gran went from natural auburn to snow white by the time she was thirty and I took after her. Hence the dyeing lol...

This is me, but it didn't turn white or give me cool gray streaks it was like all at once half my hair was this weird gray/brown/dust color and the other half was my natural brown/red. I'm still pretty young(25) and am not really willing to let it go again(I waited it out for two years before I broke down and started dying it my natural color).

I'm planning a thru in 2011 and in a six month period I probably dye it four times. I've been wondering wether this would be a reasonable thing, seeing as I'm planning on staying in town at least that many times, it only takes an hour (dye, wait 30 minutes, wash) and I do it myself.

Also in regards to how I'll keep my hair, I've got thin/oily hair that won't stay in a braid unless it's halfway down my back, which is how it is right now. My thoughts were to cut it to a little past shoulder length and keep it in a pony tail with a bandana/head band/thingy(this has worked really well in 100+ heat) and when it's cold I usually wear a wool beanie with a pony tail.

I honestly feel really silly thinking about these thingshttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif, but like my mom said, as long as these kinds of issues aren't making or breaking your hike it's your right to try to make yourself as comfortable as possible in the situation.

jesse
04-19-2010, 16:42
Do what she did.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=294846

MapleLeaf
04-24-2010, 13:23
Normally I love my hair. It's thick, curly...quite lovely.

That is until I hit the trails. Even when it's up it attracts bugs, dirt, wigs, leaves, bits of bark, ticks....I just hacked it all of last week. It'll grow back.

marylinda1
08-21-2010, 21:59
Thanks, Peanuts! Wow, 20" is awesome! 15 and 19 for me. Donating sure feels good to me.

I have hiked with both long and short hair. Either one works, but if it's long, it's gotta be braided. Even fine hair gets matted after a few days.
This is my 2 cents...

I would not initially cut your hair. I would braid it, bring a wide tooth comb, and maybe throw some conditioner into your resupply boxes if you're doing it that way. If you want to cut your hair down the line, if you decide it's too much hassle, that's one thing, but I would at least try it to start with.

Also, if you have curly hair that's easily knotted, I wouldn't even use shampoo on it, just conditioner to wash it, that way it'll be easier to deal with in the "field." I hardly ever use shampoo anymore. It just makes my hair harder to work with and more tangly.

Trailbender
08-24-2010, 12:14
I would do option 1 or 3. I've seen lots of women with their hair braided on the trail. If you cut it and you can get nine inches, donating it to locks for love would take some of the sting out of it.

Dreads get way too dirty and collect stuff.

Wrong. I just finished my thru hike, and I had shoulder length dreads the whole way. I had no issues keeping them clean.

Trailbender
08-24-2010, 12:30
I hiked this past summer and I woke up with tangled hair each morning.

Living in Boone, NC, I decided to dread my hair. I actually found a stylist who helped me get started.

I LOVE IT! I do admit it's not for every person and you need to make sure this is what you want to do before you do it.

If you decide to dread it, it takes a LOT of maintaince in the beginning. And it's not true what people say about them being nasty. I wash mine twice a week and I use shea butter NOT bees wax.

You can have clean, well maintained dreads - I do!:banana

Check out the pics of when I went to get my hair did. This was about two months ago.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2161971&l=dcd15&id=29717001

My dreads didn't take any maintenance. I just stopped combing my hair and they formed naturally over about an 8 month period. I never used beeswax or anything, either. All I have done is wash them in hot water(the main ingredient in shampoos is used as an industrial concrete degreaser) and tie them back in a ponytail. I had absolutely no issues on the trail with them.

ashley_nicole
08-25-2010, 11:10
I have long hair that is a wavy frizzy mess most of the time. What I ended up doing while I was thru-hiking was switching between braiding it, wearing it in a bun, and just a ponytail. The braids worked best, kept from tangling too much, and was easy to comb and rebraid at night and in the morning. The bun was my go-to in the summer, because it kept my hair high and off my neck, something the braid and ponytail couldn't do. Most girls did braids and buns - easiest to maintain. Oh, and if it's not too hot, try a hankerchief if you get flyaways. Plus, if you roll it like a headband, it'll keep the sweat from dripping down your face too.

I shampooed every 7-10 days, usually with Dr. Bronners, and nothing special. Just make sure you run a comb through it when you get to town. I didn't see any girls trying to do dreads. I know they can be very successful, but I've also heard lots of horror stories about them growing mold and stuff because it can be hard to keep them dry on the East Coast between the rain, sweat, and humidity. I never tried it though, so I say all this from heresay, not experience.

Doc Mike
08-25-2010, 15:46
Demi Moore......GI Jane

WOW

bramblingbird
08-30-2010, 13:16
I have a lot of stray hairs. So I also wear a headband.

I would think curly hair in a braid would be secure and easy to manage.

My hair is fairly thin and wavy curly, so I've been debating what I want to do with it as well - chop or braid? The constant question. But, I do really like the idea of a headband, which (strangely) I never really thought about.

I have chopped all my hair off before, and liked it all short (and I mean short - a couple centimeters). It is now past my shoulders and I like it long too. Oh the dilemma! :D

Here's a question though: I can get pretty bad dandruff. It is completely under control at the moment because I am using an amazing shampoo. Do you guys carry shampoo around with you? This shampoo is fairly expensive so I don't really want to buy it every week. I guess mailing it to myself, but that is also expensive. It's just that my hair/scalp can't just be washed with Dr. Bronners or crappy cheap Suave or stuff like that. What are your thoughts?

JaxAJ
08-30-2010, 13:59
I'd go with braids or a bun. A tight bun, like a sock bun or a knot. Through basic training, AIT, and a desert deployment, I kept my hair a few inches longer than my shoulders and just put it up in a sock bun every day. It takes a few seconds, holds really well, and looks alright with or without a hat.

The girls who did the GI Jane thing or cropped their hair short were regretting it within a few months, since it grows fast and quickly gets to that awkward length where you can't pull it back but it's long enough to get in your eyes.

Trailbender
08-30-2010, 23:03
I'd go with braids or a bun. A tight bun, like a sock bun or a knot. Through basic training, AIT, and a desert deployment, I kept my hair a few inches longer than my shoulders and just put it up in a sock bun every day. It takes a few seconds, holds really well, and looks alright with or without a hat.

The girls who did the GI Jane thing or cropped their hair short were regretting it within a few months, since it grows fast and quickly gets to that awkward length where you can't pull it back but it's long enough to get in your eyes.

Yeah, I never really understood why men weren't allowed long hair in the military. Guess the only reason is "military appearance", because it sure isn't hygiene, I kept my hair clean my whole thru hike. Besides, I look like Timothy McVeigh or a skinhead with a military cut.

The other reason they list is so people can't grab it in a close fight, but no one got close enough to me in Iraq, and if you know martial arts, that really isn't an issue.

Sheryll
08-31-2010, 10:32
In response to the tangled hair issue, how about trying a doo-rag? I have long hair and ride a motorcycle and if I do not put it up in the rag, it is a tangled mess. You will still have the long ponytail, but you can put several ponytail holders around it to keep it tame.

SoulSista
09-09-2010, 17:13
I have waist length, fine straight hair, and I refuse to cut it just to hike. Yes, it knots and tangles easily, but I just braid it daily, and try to wash it once a week or so. You CAN train your hair to not need washing so frequently. The more often you wash it, the more often it needs to be washed. Slowly cut back on how often you wash it, and you will find that your hair is healthy and shiny, without having to wash it on a daily basis. I have generally oily hair as a rule, and I've slowly trained it, and myself, to wash it once a week -- and it does fine! I use a small brush and a small comb and non injury pony tail holders, and it seems to work out ok for me. Nuthing like a good brushing out at the end of the day to make you feel good! =)

hontassquirt
09-10-2010, 22:12
i'm with kanga and sheryll. DON'T CUT IT! i wouldn't dare cut mine and it's curly and past my butt. wet/straight, it's even longer. braid or do the "biker ties" where they have a few bands down the back of their hair holding it in place. put a dew rag on and you're set. i've found that the dewrags hold the moisture into my scalp too much and i start itching around day 2, so if you get one, use a wicking fabric.

Sweetpea-NC
09-11-2010, 21:27
I know it's been awhile since the original post, but I suggest not cutting it. Just braid it. I met a SOBO hiker in 2009, CRACKERS, and she had really curly hair that she just kept in two braids and her hair looked pretty healthy.

Personally, I have long, wavy, thick hair that I keep in a ponytail when I hike. No way would I cut my hair. I have to confess though, when I'm doing a longer section, I do daydream of what it would be like to just let it dread up. haha!:)

1cre8ive1
09-15-2010, 02:40
As opposed to Locks For Love, (who now charges for their wigs when they used to donate them,) look into Wigs For Kids....I mention it because that's what I'm doing just before I head out.

hpark
01-16-2011, 21:25
If you're going to cut it, donate it. Apparently, there is some controversy over LOL. You can donate it, sell it yourself, or let it go in the trash. Might as well donate it.

Personally, I am thinking about just totally shaving my head. I have always wanted to and this would be a great time to do it!

skooch
02-02-2011, 11:01
good thread. Mine is to my waist, fine and curly and I quit coloring it over 4yrs ago. My husband loves it and I think we would both be sorry if I allowed myself to get frustated with it on the trail and impulsively wacked it off. I can picture myself taking a pocket knife to my braided pigtails.

tawa
02-03-2011, 09:41
Option 5---Shave your head and body. Take pictures----before --after and in between.
Its all about the journey and the experience.

Trailbender
02-06-2011, 21:12
Option 5---Shave your head and body. Take pictures----before --after and in between.
Its all about the journey and the experience.

A shaved head is a pretty inefficient hairstyle. I have found the simplest and most useful is dreadlocks in a short ponytail. Whenever I need to cut it, I just tie it back and hack off the excess with a pair of scissors. I could never see the point in paying for a haircut.

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 21:28

2) Dreading it
3) Braiding it every day

your 09 thruhike? you have a time machine? i love you!

fehchet
02-07-2011, 06:18
your 09 thruhike? you have a time machine? i love you!

Need to read the whole thread.

tawa
02-07-2011, 08:27
A shaved head is a pretty inefficient hairstyle. I have found the simplest and most useful is dreadlocks in a short ponytail. Whenever I need to cut it, I just tie it back and hack off the excess with a pair of scissors. I could never see the point in paying for a haircut.

Inefficient--lol--guess thats why the US military uses it! Its safer, its cleaner and it saves time. Instead of spending an hour each evening looking and feeling for ticks, lice etc you can be using your time in a more efficeint way --filtering water, fixing dinner, checking your gear out, cleaning yourself and setting up camp. You can even wash and rinse your head and have it clean and dry in less than a minute.
I don't pay for a haircut ---I cut it myself in less than five minutes. More efficient than dealing with it each and every day. Will not carry trimmers but will use when available at hostels or when wife visits along the trail.

Trailbender
02-08-2011, 09:20
Inefficient--lol--guess thats why the US military uses it! Its safer, its cleaner and it saves time. Instead of spending an hour each evening looking and feeling for ticks, lice etc you can be using your time in a more efficeint way --filtering water, fixing dinner, checking your gear out, cleaning yourself and setting up camp. You can even wash and rinse your head and have it clean and dry in less than a minute.
I don't pay for a haircut ---I cut it myself in less than five minutes. More efficient than dealing with it each and every day. Will not carry trimmers but will use when available at hostels or when wife visits along the trail.

The military uses it for one thing, appearance. The military also uses the M16 weapon system, when there are a lot better rifles out there, so that argument doesn't work well. Also, I have had a scalp burn when I used to shave my head, you also gotta shave your head with electric clippers once a week, you feel a lot colder with a shaved head, I can also wash my hair in about 3 mins as well, considering I haven't used shampoo in years, your scalp naturally cleans itself. All you need is water. I did my thru with shoulder length dreads, and never spent an hour checking for ticks, ect. I sprayed some DEET around my hat band and was good to go. I am speaking of this from experience. I was in the military and also as a civilian shaved my head for years. I

Not to mention I look like a Neo Nazi or Tim McVeigh with my head shaved.

Sickmont
02-08-2011, 09:32
Not to mention I look like a Neo Nazi or Tim McVeigh with my head shaved.

Too bad for you. *I* happen to look like Billy Corgan when i "bic" my head.

Trailbender
02-09-2011, 08:49
Too bad for you. *I* happen to look like Billy Corgan when i "bic" my head.

I forgot, there is a lot of things the military does that are inefficient. I was in the Army, and when I suggested a better way to do things, people basically wouldn't listen because I was a private. There was also a very pervasive "we do things this way because that is the way they have always been done" attitude. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of good things about being in, but there was a really stifling beaurocratic climate as well.

fanlynne
02-22-2011, 05:41
I personally support hair donation. If you don't like LOL, use another organization.