PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Good Trail Dog

rilofoxes
11-27-2008, 22:21
My boyfriend and I have been looking for a hiking companion. I have found a Basenji mix in the local pound and by doing some research on this breed, I think that it is a good match. I was wondering if anyone out there knew if this would be a reliable trail dog or if you have any recommendations, we don’t want to rush into it!

Serial 07
11-27-2008, 22:25
don't bring a carolina dingo...great dog...great dog...but has a tendency to run into the woods trying (sometimes successfully) to tackle the wildlife...

no matter what type of dog you bring, don't be an ignorant owner...train the dog, basic commands are called basic because that's what they are...ran into too many dogs that couldn't follow simple commands...have a leash...use said leash...don't let dog curl up on somebody else's sleeping bag...dogs don't have priority over people in shelters...

sorry, that's my dog rant...continue to explore breeds...

rilofoxes
11-27-2008, 22:32
I did read that it was a hunter :(

Here are two that I have requested information on:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12458573 (http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12458573)

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12400332 (http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12400332)

Serial 07
11-27-2008, 23:07
A. "this dog has been altered" is a terrible phrase...i know what they are saying, but it's not a very artistic way of saying it...looks like a good dog, how much weight do you think you can get a dog like that to carry? i feel like i've seen those types on the trail doing well...

B. that basenji looks like that would be a sweet dog (on or off trail)...kinda like the carolina dingo...i love dogs with that "i got this sitch under control" look...i would be willing to bet that this dog would take a pack well...certainly looks like a hunter, so control would be the utmost importance...things like hearing noises in the woods at night, how will this dog respond? stay fairly chill, bark, or run after the "prey"? 2 outta 3 you don't want...

with the proper "training" either dog, in my meager/humble opinion, would be fun...but i'm also a dog lover...

karoberts
11-28-2008, 00:19
Australian Cattle Dog is a great hiking dog.

Phreak
11-28-2008, 10:56
Any working or herding breed will be a great hiking companion. Training is the key.

Tilly
11-28-2008, 11:41
Often, a good trail dog will find you, especially when hiking on the trail.

Rouen
11-28-2008, 11:43
with primitive dogs, like the basenji, you're going to get alot of drive and little focus, they're described as cat like due in part to the fact that they couldn't care less about what you're doing or want them to do. if you want a dog you can go in the woods with a blow gun and get yourself a meal, basenjis would probly be okay, but they're not like a lab.
http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/AboutBasenjis.htm

superman
11-28-2008, 13:29
My boyfriend and I have been looking for a hiking companion. I have found a Basenji mix in the local pound and by doing some research on this breed, I think that it is a good match. I was wondering if anyone out there knew if this would be a reliable trail dog or if you have any recommendations, we don’t want to rush into it!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=dogs

Mags
11-28-2008, 15:29
Get a mixed-breed (or a mutt as we called them growing up!).

They tend to be healthier, live longer, have better personalities and do not have all the quirks that come from all the inbreeding found in pure breeds. Besides, they are less expensive and there are many pounds who would love to give a dog to a good home (after you pay for the shots, of course)

Let the flames begin from the people who swear by pure breeds. :D

Rouen
11-28-2008, 15:53
I swear by pure breds... pure bred mutts that is.
mutts bred with other mutts generally produce healthier mutts than pure breds bred to mutts mixed with the same or similar breeds. the down side is if the dog doesn't look like any breed inparticualr it's generally labeled a pit bull or if it has long hair, a chow. my 30lb yellow dog has been called a pit several times.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2008, 16:40
I'm with Mag's any mutt will do, If the mutt can get past the rigous testing at the pound before they are put up for adoption, You only have to go down to the library on training videos and you are there. Right now I am a big fan of Gentle Leader. Great for the trail and after a few months you won't need it. Just a lightweight leash no spring device.

I am on my third pound dog, in my lifetime - Life is Good. Here's Rugby!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/200804003.jpg

Rouen
11-28-2008, 19:15
also keep in mind there are breed specific rescues, so if you have your heart set on a certain breed but want to adopt there are options. you can find your local rescues by checking out the breed club website.

KG4FAM
11-28-2008, 19:32
I swear by pure breds... pure bred mutts that is.
mutts bred with other mutts generally produce healthier mutts than pure breds bred to mutts mixed with the same or similar breeds. the down side is if the dog doesn't look like any breed inparticualr it's generally labeled a pit bull or if it has long hair, a chow. my 30lb yellow dog has been called a pit several times.
I love my pit-lab mutt.

KG4FAM
11-28-2008, 19:34
Right now I am a big fan of Gentle Leader. Great for the trail and after a few months you won't need it. Just a lightweight leash no spring device.
Gentle leader is amazing. We had to upgrade the leash because he chewed the regular one

Rouen
11-28-2008, 20:21
I love my pit-lab mutt.

I didn't mean that pits are bad dogs, but rather people are more likely to harm or be very weary of a dog that they feel is bad, and most people feel pits and chows are bad dogs.

Mags
11-28-2008, 21:14
I didn't mean that pits are bad dogs, but rather people are more likely to harm or be very weary of a dog that they feel is bad, and most people feel pits and chows are bad dogs.

True story of a pit/chow mix involving myself and an ex-girfriend...

The GF loved her dog.

The dog was rather sweet. Every time he saw my truck pull up, he became very happy. A hike was on the way (usually).

The dog is built like many pitbulls (and chows, now that I think about it): "A keg on legs" - Short, stocky and muscular,..well a "keg on legs". :)

Someone said to her "Hey..your dog is supposed to look like the owner..not the guy you are dating". :D

(I suspect the dog is smarter than me, though... )

As I said in a previous thread, it really does not add anything to this thread, but it does make for a funny story.....

KG4FAM
11-29-2008, 13:58
I didn't mean that pits are bad dogs, but rather people are more likely to harm or be very weary of a dog that they feel is bad, and most people feel pits and chows are bad dogs.Well my boy is bad, he got out the door one time and sent the mailman to get stitches. He does fine with friends, neighbors, random people out in public, he just has it out for the mailman I guess.

Two Speed
11-29-2008, 14:38
Another vote for mutts, and pound dogs in particular. They need a home and are gonna get euthanized if you don't take them home, you need a dog. The dog wins and you get a good dog out of it.

No brainer IMHO.

cowboy nichols
11-29-2008, 18:06
I have nothing against mixed breeds but there are pure breds at shelters also. My present dog is a german sheperd male neutered almost 2 yrs. His master went into the army and I got him through Big Dog Rescue. He will be hiking with me , he is now learning trail manners and soon will start tenting. I use a cheap Wally world tent to start ($19.00 ) with and than will swich to my regular BPing tent. No matter what type of dog you get plan on training and tenting.You and your dog will be happier. Oh, so will the other hikers.

yappy
12-01-2008, 12:00
I have a lab mix and she is just the coolest dog. I did'nt " train " her I just love erh and she wants to please so I rarely say things twice. I NEVER hit her in order to make her do something I want. I try not to put her in a position where she is scared or uncomfortable. She was'nt on the At though, except the Lt in Oct. it was a lonely trail then. She was on the pct sobo so that was quiet too and she got to run free most of the time. I don't think she would like the At too much.. too many people and she gets freaked with that.

Lilred
12-01-2008, 17:03
If I ever take a dog hiking (not likely) I would want to make sure that I got a dog that I could carry w/out too much difficulty. If the dog gets hurt, what will you do if you can't carry it out? also make sure the dog's pack has a handle on the back so you can grab it in case your dog starts falling.

rootball
12-01-2008, 19:47
I like a medium size with thick enough coat so that winter is not a problem, but they do not get too hot insummer either. I also like a dog that has swimming ability. I've seen mine get washed down Slickrock Creek rapids -- and although I was worried, he did not appear to be. My dog carries his own food. And I would highly recommend the Ruff Wear Approach. My dogs have always stayed close to me, but hunting breeds can have a tendancy to take off. Or to take off after game - and that can be problematic since not all game runs away..ie bears and hogs. I love the idea of pound puppies. My current dog was abused as a little boy and was given to me - kinda like a rescue. Another thing is appearance to others - my dog always runs ahead of me and usually greets oncoming hikers first. The usual response is 'oh, how cute'. But if he was a large fighting type dog I think the response would be negative, so pick one that will be acceptable to others. Also pick one that will not be aggressive to other dogs. If some big mean dog attacked someones dog on the trail you might have to carry it out to a vet and pay the bill.

sticks&stones
12-01-2008, 20:06
I cant say without bias what breed to checkout (Chesapeake Bay Retriever). I can however give some advice on what to avoid. Any territorial dog is a roll of the dice in making a great trail dog.

rlharris
12-03-2008, 23:03
I cant say without bias what breed to checkout (Chesapeake Bay Retriever). I can however give some advice on what to avoid. Any territorial dog is a roll of the dice in making a great trail dog.

Another brown dog lover? Yes, they are the greatest hiking buddies. My first one used to "sign in" on the various trail logs with an appropriate quotation from the person for whom he was named.

berninbush
12-03-2008, 23:58
I'll put in another good word for the rescue groups. I'm on my second dog from Golden Retriever rescue. My first dog, Annie, was actually a mutt-- a cross between a GR and a spaniel. She was a stray who would likely have ended up in a shelter if not for a rescue group. My current dog, Lucy, is purebred GR (as far as anyone knows) but she was also a stray, and the rescue group actually got her out of a shelter. They've both been fantastic friends and good hiking partners. It broke my heart when I had to put Annie down.

Because the rescue groups take dogs out of shelters or prevent them from ending up there, they do a lot to prevent animals from having to be euthanized. They are good if you have a particular breed in mind, even if you aren't set on a "pure-bred," because many will take on dogs that appear to be a mix of that breed and something else. Another advantage is that rescue groups often put dogs with "foster families" while they're waiting to adopt, so you can get insight into the dogs temperament and potential issues before adopting, to make sure you're getting one that's a good match for you.

catfishrivers
12-04-2008, 15:01
Australian Cattle Dog is a great hiking dog.

I have an Australian Cattle Hound and he is an amazing hiking buddy and he loves it too! He is happiest when we are hiking. Just look!

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2735/1269902039uh7.jpg

catfishrivers
12-04-2008, 15:03
p.s. got him from the shelter as a puppy too! Best $100 I ever spent.

darkage
12-05-2008, 13:57
awesome looking dog catfish ..... those red eyes are killer ... "hope it wasn't just the camara"

whtmthiker
12-08-2008, 14:56
Well- I'd definitely agree with rescue dogs! I have a border collie mix AND basenji mix.- I would get another Border Collie mix in a heart beat (he's mixed w/ Austalian Keplie)- best hiking dog ever!! The Basenji... NOT!! anything with hound in him is not a good choice for hiking in the woods unless you want to keep him leashed the whole time while he pulls you into the woods.

catfishrivers
12-08-2008, 14:58
awesome looking dog catfish ..... those red eyes are killer ... "hope it wasn't just the camara"

Nope! The dog uses those eyes to beguile many a treat from unsuspecting humans. If any of you ever meet him on the trail, beware his Jedi Mind Tricks. He will have you forking over victuals willingly. :P

"Those are not the donuts you were looking to eat. Feed them to me."

jrnj5k
12-10-2008, 12:53
Any dog that can follow commands will be a good trail dog. The question you should be asking yourself is if the dog you are considering will respond to your ability to train. If the answer is yes than you are good to go. Terriers will by nature be a more difficult breed to train from my experience. Enjoy and remember dog nails are sharp be careful in the shelter not to tear anything.

cowboy nichols
12-10-2008, 13:28
It has been mentioned that you should consider your dogs weight in case you have to carry him/her out. I have always hiked with a large dog so I thought I would share this. You can improvise a travois (sic) using either a jacket or a sleeping bag maybe even hiking poles . If there are two people available you can also make a strecher the same way, fortunally I've only had to use this once and for a short distance for someone elses dog. I can't remember where I learned this so can't give proper credit.

SunnyWalker
12-11-2008, 22:05
IMHO, Basenji mix would be ok. It's really not what is the best dog or breed for hiking. It's really (IMHO) what is the best master? What I mean is, what kind of owner, or master or friend will you be to your dog? Will you train the dog? Lead the dog? Work with the dog and be there for the dog? By the way, do a search of clicker training. Really neat way to train a dog.