PDA

View Full Version : Pack advise for early start NOBO 2009

ATX-Hiker
11-28-2008, 11:31
I'm going to brave the after Thanksgiving shopping to get a new pack today. I've pretty much decided on either a Gregory Z55 or Z65 in large. One is rated at 3600 cu in, and the other at 4200 cu in. I've already tried both on with weight and they feel great. I'll also be starting in mid-February to be back home for school in the fall. I've also heard some good things about the Osprey I think it was either the atmos or aether. And has anyone had any experience with Deuter packs? I really liked the fit of the gregorys and the weights not too bad.

1. Is 3600 too small? Or does 4200 sound too big?

Thanks

chrishowe11
11-28-2008, 12:13
hey im preparing just like you, but i have a osprey aether 70 and i love it, very comfortable and you can customize it to specifically you! it might be a little on the expensive side but to me it was worth it, i have no complaints on the osprey. good luck on black friday :)

Hooch
11-28-2008, 12:27
I'm going to brave the after Thanksgiving shopping to get a new pack today......decided on either a Gregory Z55 or Z65 in large......Is 3600 too small? Take all your trash with you when you go to the outfitter to try packs. Load your stuff in them, walk around a bit with a full pack listen to suggestions, and make sure the peosn who you dealw ith at the outfitter knows how to properly fit a pack to you, otherwise, you're gonna be really uncomfortable. If all your trash fits in it and is reasonably comfortable, then it's the right size. Also, go with an open mind. None of those packs may be right for you, fit you correctly, etc., so be prepared for plan b. Either way, good luck.

4eyedbuzzard
11-28-2008, 12:38
Remember to leave enough room for food(the real world stuff you'll be buying in towns, not mountainhouse packets), water, etc. If you'll be hiking in winter conditions, remember to factor in the heaviest, bulkiest sleeping bag and extra clothing you may need to carry.

The packs you mention are all good packs. There are a dozen other companies that also make perfectly good packs. The question more centers around how much and what you are going to carry as it will determine suspension requirements and pack volume (lightweight gear isn't always more compact than that heavier gear, you need to leave room for food, water, etc.) Remember that you can always cinch down a bigger pack easier than you can tie stuff to one that's too small, and a larger pack bag on the same suspension usually only adds a couple of ounces.

Ultimately, once volume requirement is determined, buy the pack that feels better. Comfort is more important than a number on a scale.

double j
11-28-2008, 12:41
gregory z55

garlic08
11-28-2008, 14:04
To emphasize what has been already said, buy the pack for what you're going to carry. Don't buy the pack and then fill it up with stuff you don't need. Get your gear finalized first, and get the pack last. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

stranger
12-07-2008, 20:02
The size you are speaking of are frame sizes, you are most likely a medium not a large, only about 5% of adult males are a gregory large. Packs are like shoes - they have sizes. Also remember that size refers only to torso length, and you are probably not a large.

The Z series is a nice pack and you can't go wrong with Gregory, Osprey does some great stuff as well, but slightly softer suspensions in my view so you might want to go with the Gregory if you tend to carry moderate loads.

dan8794
12-07-2008, 21:03
I use the z55 and I love it! The way I see it, the capacity is perfect. I'm the type that if I have extra space, I WILL fill it up with crap. So, although it has a smaller capacity, it forces me to pack smartly. But, that is no problem! It can hold all that I need....and more.

I am pleased with the z55 and I have used it in rainy weather (with a pack cover) and the waterproof....ahem....water resistant compartments work great. I say water resistant because that is what they are marketed as, but water sure had a hard time finding its way in the zippers.

Hope you find a bag that suits you.

Also, to reiterate stranger, you probably don't need a large....I'd so go with medium (but get sized...you just may be one of the 5%)!!

Gumpa
12-07-2008, 21:06
I started with a gregory z55 and found that it was too small. After loading my gear I would not have had enough room for food. I traded it in for a z65 and I am pleased with that pack. You do need to have your torso length measured. I found that I needed a large when the second salesperson measured my torso length for the z65. My z55 was a medium and was not as comfortable loaded as the z65 is.

taildragger
12-07-2008, 21:08
The pack should work, I'd try on loaded Osprey's as well. I found that I liked the osprey's construction more, but the only one that has fit me well was the kestrel (which if you haven't looked at, I would, they are pretty slick for a mainstream pack).

If you can get access to more cottage packs, I'd try them, but since your in northern Mexico, that could be a problem.

KG4FAM
12-07-2008, 21:40
I'm starting mid Feb as well. Taking a Gregory Palisade for the first bit. Lots of room for fluffy stuff. **** being cold.

SurferNerd
12-07-2008, 23:51
I'm using a Gregory Z55 and I love it..

Blissful
12-08-2008, 15:00
Gear first, pack last. Watch your gear weight - you'll be sending stuff home by Neels Gap, guaranteed.

Ospreys are pretty popular on the trail.

Frick Frack
12-08-2008, 16:53
I hiked with an Osprey Aether 70 and my wife hiked with the Ariel 65 (womens version of the same pack) and we both had zero problems. Excellent packs. My wife sent the pack lid home early on and we both thought they were slightly too big but the extra carrying capacity came in handy a few times. She hiked with an average of 20-25 lbs and I hiked with an average of 30-35 lbs. A few times I hiked upwards of 50 lbs (important stuff like a 3L of Merlot & extra h2o) and the pack handled it well. It may not be as light as a "rucksack" pack but in my opinion very respectful. A few people we knew hiked with the Atomos, and similar packs, but it did not seem as versatile and not a huge weight savings. The torso length is adjustable on the Aether/Ariel as well which allows you to fine tune the fit.

Red Hat
12-09-2008, 10:54
The size you are speaking of are frame sizes, you are most likely a medium not a large, only about 5% of adult males are a gregory large. Packs are like shoes - they have sizes. Also remember that size refers only to torso length, and you are probably not a large.

The Z series is a nice pack and you can't go wrong with Gregory, Osprey does some great stuff as well, but slightly softer suspensions in my view so you might want to go with the Gregory if you tend to carry moderate loads.

Right on that, stranger! I am nearly 5'8" so I figured I'd need a medium pack. Wrong! My height is in my legs and my torso is short. Makes a big difference in the way the weight is carried.

snowhoe
12-09-2008, 11:02
If you belong to REI and you are going to get a dividend you will probably get it in late Jan. See if they have either pack on sale I know they had the Osprey on sale last year. I agree with blissful your pack last.

ATX-Hiker
12-09-2008, 11:39
Bought an Osprey Aether 70. Only had it out on a one nighter, and it rode great. Wish there were more pockets and access points though. And the side water bottle holsters are real tight and kind of a pain.

Wags
12-10-2008, 17:01
send it back. with the literally dozens of choices of packs out there there's no way you should be rolling in a pack you don't like

buz
12-11-2008, 00:07
ATX,

I have the same pack, and really like it. Fits great, hauls a lot of weight, get the belt heat treated to your body if you haven't already. Or, return the pack, and get something lighter and smaller, as those are viable options, lol, seriously. Forget about bringing the top lid, save the weight. That being said, it isn't the lightest and its' pretty big, but, you will have no issues with this pack. HYOH. And the water bottle side pockets suk, they are not designed right. You have to be contornist to get bottles out of them. But I am bladder guy, so no issues. The back pocket is big, and it has a zipper sleeping bag access, so I am not sure about your access issues. You will have to learn to pack things, as a lighter smaller pack will not have the sleeping bag zipper access.

ATX-Hiker
12-11-2008, 12:14
ATX,

I have the same pack, and really like it. Fits great, hauls a lot of weight, get the belt heat treated to your body if you haven't already. Or, return the pack, and get something lighter and smaller, as those are viable options, lol, seriously. Forget about bringing the top lid, save the weight. That being said, it isn't the lightest and its' pretty big, but, you will have no issues with this pack. HYOH. And the water bottle side pockets suk, they are not designed right. You have to be contornist to get bottles out of them. But I am bladder guy, so no issues. The back pocket is big, and it has a zipper sleeping bag access, so I am not sure about your access issues. You will have to learn to pack things, as a lighter smaller pack will not have the sleeping bag zipper access.

I've worked things out with it. Gonna use a bladder, side pockets for semi easy access items rain gear, etc. I've also opened up the bag compartment divider on bottom, so I get at stuff from top or bottom. The back pocket is nice, I'm just wondering how well the fabric will hold up. :-?

buz- or other's with an aether 70
what size of bladder are you using? volume and dimensions (L x W), it's kind of a tight pocket.

Frick Frack
12-11-2008, 19:33
I've worked things out with it. Gonna use a bladder, side pockets for semi easy access items rain gear, etc. I've also opened up the bag compartment divider on bottom, so I get at stuff from top or bottom. The back pocket is nice, I'm just wondering how well the fabric will hold up. :-?

buz- or other's with an aether 70
what size of bladder are you using? volume and dimensions (L x W), it's kind of a tight pocket.

A MSR 2L fits fine. I ended up hiking with it in my right side pocket so I did not have to dig it out all the time.

buz
12-12-2008, 09:40
ATX,

I have the platy 3 liter, which really is 3.5 liters when totally full. It is almost too large for that sleeve when full. But I bought it for western drier trips, when water carry is mandatory. I would 2nd frick, look at a 2 liter on, should work fine. You also may want to experiment and not use the compartment, simply putting the bladder on top of your gear. Less pull out and refill hassle. But from experience, a full bladder rides best in the sleeve, carry wise. I would suggest a 2 liter and bring along a gatorade bottle as well, 20 oz size. Helps in filling bladder as well as you have plenty of total water available if needed. Although I loved my 3 liter bladder as a shower, worked great, but that is another story.

Leave the pack lid at home.