PDA

View Full Version : Should I just get a -20 deg bag?

Earl Grey
11-28-2008, 18:01
In my pursuit of some cold weather gear I thought about getting a 0 deg bag. But then I was thinking why not just get a -20deg bag and be done with it? Of course a -20 bag would weigh more than a 0 but I would never have to buy a 0, just one -20.

It doesnt ever get that cold around here but maybe in the future I would go somewhere where it would. I guess what im asking is what are the ranges of sleeping bags is best? 20 deg increments? hmmmm

mudhead
11-28-2008, 18:13
Waking up roasting is no fun either.

Phreak
11-28-2008, 18:23
I always go a little warmer than I might need. I can always cool off by unzipping the bag, but can't make it any warmer if needed.

Egads
11-28-2008, 19:07
consider a bag somewhere between 20 & 0 and add a quilt. I believe that you're a hammocker and should already have one. I've used a 20* bag with a JRB Nest to extend the comfort range. This system is good from 0* to 80*.

springerfever
11-28-2008, 19:38
A -20 degree bag is serious overkill if you do your hiking primarily in the Appalachians. Its just extra weight. A good 0 degree bag should be all you need for the WINTER season in this region.

Of course, if you are headed out into much colder temperatures (further north or at much greater elevation), it might be a wise choice, but for AT hiking a 0 degree bag is all you would ever need.

I prefer to sleep on the ground and I understand that with a hammock the rules are much different. If you do primarily hammock, it might make sense.

Panzer1
11-28-2008, 19:42
A good 0 degree bag should be all you need for the WINTER season in this region.

Yea, I agree with that. -20 is going to be unnecessary heavy for the AT in winter.

If its really going to be -20, do you want to be sleeping in that anyway?

Panzer

nitewalker
11-28-2008, 19:51
you will sweat your arse off if you buy that bag.. that bag is for extreme cold not most common AT temps unless your on the AT in the whites or somewhere up in new england during the winter...if your going to stay south around north carolina a 0* bag will work most times. outfited with a liner and bivy sac u will be set down to minus 15 or so... the neg 20 is overkill unless your going to get into more mountaineering....i have a neg 20 and have only used it twice......too much warmth with it. i slept out in a low of neg 18 and was just fine.....

dradius
11-29-2008, 14:15
I recently forked out the money for a Kelty Light Year XP 20 degree bag. Last weekend I took it out and it got down to 17. I would say it was pushing it, but I now feel it really is a 20 degree bag. Not like the "0 degree Arctic" type bags you see at wal-mart and stuff :)

My point... if you're going to get a good name brand bag, no need to go with -20 unless you really plan on being out in sub zero temps. btw you can get a good 20 or maybe even 0 bag for about 100 bucks if you google for coupon codes. sierratradingpost.com backpackeredge.com backpackercountry.com etc.

Alligator
11-29-2008, 15:30
Depends on where you are going in the winter. You could get below 0 in New England. You wouldn't sweat your ass off in a -20 bag. You can easily dump heat in the winter. Leave the drawstrings open, lose your hat, open a tent window etc. You'll pay a weight penalty for it over a 0 degree bag.

I have one, it's an incredible peace of mind issue. It is a lot of bag though for much of the AT. You probably won't buy a 0 and a -20, so give it good consideration as to where you will be using it and how often.

SassyWindsor
11-30-2008, 00:48
I would consider a sleeping bag liner, it adds to the temp rating when you need it, so a 0* bag in essence good be transformed into a sub zero one.