PDA

View Full Version : How to Charge?

Wrangler88
11-28-2008, 18:57
I'm going on a lengthy section hike in 09 and my parents want me to carry my cell phone with me. I'm against the idea for weight reasons. Plus I like the idea of not having to use or worry about things such as electronics. However, for now I figure that I'd give in and tell them that I'll carry it with me, turned off all the time, except when I call to check in every few days.

With that being said, I've been looking into chargers. I've read some people bum an outlet here and there (which I may consider) but I'm also wondering about a solar charger. I'll be sectioning from Harper's Ferry to the Smokies in July and August. Is the trail going to be totally shaded in this section, thus making the solar charger useless?

Also, I've seen chargers that run the power from two AA batteries into your phone battery. It'd be for the iphone 3g. I'm wondering if anyone has used this or a product like this and how well it works?

So my basic question is if you carry a phone or ipod, how do YOU charge it on the trail?

Lone Wolf
11-28-2008, 18:59
only plug in to outlets at places you pay for like hostels and motels

Lone Wolf
11-28-2008, 19:00

you're 20 years old. can't you make your own decision about carrying/not carrying a phone?

Egads
11-28-2008, 19:02
Remove the battery if you carry it and want to conserve power

Sly
11-28-2008, 19:22
If I carry my phone the plug-in charger is light enough. As LW says use it at hostels or motels you're paying for, or make sure to ask.

Toolshed
11-28-2008, 19:34
have a double A recharger. Used it on my Krzr. I think you will need a set of very expensive Lithium AA batteries to charge a lithium 3.7v Ipod Battery 1 time before they are drained.
Check the Milliamps (MAH)on both. Your probably better off just turning it off completely.

nitewalker
11-28-2008, 19:34

amen brother

Nest
11-28-2008, 19:51
You don't want to carry a phone, so why worry about a solar charger? Charge it in town when you can and if the battery goes dead, oh well. No point in carrying the weight of a solar charger for something that you don't really want anyways.

Mags
11-28-2008, 20:07
I'm going on a lengthy section hike in 09 and my parents want me to carry my cell phone with me. I'm against the idea for weight reasons.

Then don't take it. You are 20 yrs old. Simple.

If *you* want to take it, then take the charger and plug it in your motel room or hostel. KISS... As others noted, a solar charger would probably weigh more than most cell phone plugs.

kayak karl
11-28-2008, 20:29
you're 20 years old. can't you make your own decision about carrying/not carrying a phone?
The man did make a decision? im 53 and my Dad wants me to carry a phone, and out of Respect i do:). it keeps him at ease. i keep the battery out and check'in with text.

garlic08
11-28-2008, 20:30
Then don't take it. You are 20 yrs old. Simple.

It might not be that simple. I met a lot of 20-somethings whose parents were paying for the hike. If they're paying, follow their rules, and be gracious about it!:)

karoberts
11-28-2008, 20:33
Solar chargers don't work very well unless they are in direct sunlight for hours.

Consider a Spot rather than a cell phone. You can still let mom and dad know you are okay everyday but will only need new batteries once a month (runs on double A, you can buy them in any town).

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

nitewalker
11-28-2008, 20:46
my plug in charger weighs less than 3 ozs. my charge on the phone lasts at least 6 days when not using it alot. buma na outlet in town. u will find the solar charger weighs more than the outlet charger. the outlet charger is a guarantee every 5 days or so.......no solar charger if i were you....

nitewalker
11-28-2008, 20:47
my plug in charger weighs less than 3 ozs. my charge on the phone lasts at least 6 days when not using it alot. buma na outlet in town. u will find the solar charger weighs more than the outlet charger. the outlet charger is a guarantee every 5 days or so.......no solar charger if i were you....

some dislexia with the spelling

Deadeye
11-28-2008, 20:53
Leave the cell phone at home, bring a calling card, and call whenever you're in town/hostel/gas station/wherever. You'll accomplish the same end.

kayak karl
11-28-2008, 21:01
It might not be that simple. I met a lot of 20-somethings whose parents were paying for the hike. If they're paying, follow their rules, and be gracious about it!:)
hit the nail on the heard. if hes living there, comply with their rules. it is only 4 oz on a section hike. leave the MP3 player home and call it even:D

Mags
11-28-2008, 21:03

A gift should not have strings attached. Otherwise, it is blackmail. :sun

blackbird04217
11-28-2008, 21:11
How about the hand cranked power adapters? I don't know about weight, but it would work rain or shine, night or day. Some simple energy spent into the crank is all you need, this might be the way I am thinking about going for my flashlight, still a thought so maybe I might learn something in this thread. I can see my parents asking me to bring a phone, and if they do I will eventually have to come back and read this thread - but basically I say that because I would take it to respect their wishes, but I would also be handing that bill to them since it would be something I didn't want in the first place. If they accept that, then I'll carry the phone for them - :D

kayak karl
11-28-2008, 21:14
LOL that was a joke , right?

Kirby
11-28-2008, 21:19
I simply left my phone off and charged it when it was in town, worked just fine for me.

Kirby

KG4FAM
11-28-2008, 21:29
How about the hand cranked power adapters? I don't know about weight, but it would work rain or shine, night or day. Some simple energy spent into the crank is all you need, this might be the way I am thinking about going for my flashlight, still a thought so maybe I might learn something in this thread. I can see my parents asking me to bring a phone, and if they do I will eventually have to come back and read this thread - but basically I say that because I would take it to respect their wishes, but I would also be handing that bill to them since it would be something I didn't want in the first place. If they accept that, then I'll carry the phone for them - :DThose little crank things are not very durable for the most part. I am sure there is a quality one out there somewhere but most are very cheap. Someone gave me a radio/flashlight/cell charger one time and it broke on the third time or something like that.

4eyedbuzzard
11-28-2008, 21:29

All gifts come wrapped in obligation and reciprocity.

Mags
11-28-2008, 21:36
All gifts come wrapped in obligation and reciprocity.

LOL that was a joke , right?

Egads. It was "kidding on the square" BUT...

I grew up with Catholic Guilt. I am not about to agree with it on bulletin boards. Sheesh. If you want to help someone, do it to be nice..not to guilt them into something. Maybe I'm odd..I do something nice for someone not because I expect something out of them in return. It is nice to simply be nice. Doing something nice..and expecting a kickback is very popular in my homes state, however. :) (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8645080.html)

If you OR ANYONE ELSE wishes to discuss it further, please PM me.

To answer the question:

In any case, if you decide to take the phone, a charger would be the lightest (most likely), simplest and easiest way to maintain cell phone charge on a thru-hike.

Doctari
11-28-2008, 21:42
My cell, with the battery still in but turned off lasted easily the 5 days between stops. And as stated above, I only charged where I had permission.
I too hated carrying the cell, but it made the wife happy, and: "If Momma aint happy, ain't no one happy!" The cell & charger was 4.5 Oz of "Happy Momma".
I will admit that one or 2 times, the cell made me happy too: I got to touch base with my wife, sometimes that kept me on the trail when I got to missing her too much. :cool:

4eyedbuzzard
11-28-2008, 21:42
It's not about expecting or guilting someone to do something in return for giving them a gift. Rather, it's the obligation one has after receiving a gift to somehow return the kindness someone has shown them.

Bare Bear
11-28-2008, 21:44
I left my phone OFF unless I thought I might have service and checked it once a day. I never had a problem plugging it in although a few palces looked at me strange. I recall one c store the guy said "all the hikers use that outside plug at the end of the building" so it must be a common request.

Mags
11-28-2008, 21:48
It's not about expecting or guilting someone to do something in return for giving them a gift. Rather, it's the obligation one has after receiving a gift to somehow return the kindness someone has shown them.

That's nice. Is that a suggestion on how to keep a cell phone charged? Otherwise, we should take it to PMing. :sun

Bare Bear
11-28-2008, 21:49
BTW I do agree it is nice to use the power (alibet just a few cents) where you are eating, buying stuff. In Harpers Ferry the waittress said, "You don't have to keep ordering more food just to charge your phone." (Big salad, then plate of chicken and veggies, then chili soup) I then had to explain I was a hiker that had already washed and changed, shaved; and my pack was in an angels truck locked up waiting for the ride back to HF Outfitters. I was just hungry, DUH.

trailfoot
11-28-2008, 21:57
Unplug the vending machines as you go into a store and shop. Don't forget the plug it back in though.

http://www.energizer.com/products/energi-to-go/Pages/ipod-cell-phone-charger.aspx

Some sort of solar powered charger. Saw one on the trail this year.

4eyedbuzzard
11-28-2008, 22:02
Unplug the vending machines as you go into a store and shop. Don't forget the plug it back in though.

http://www.energizer.com/products/energi-to-go/Pages/ipod-cell-phone-charger.aspx

Some sort of solar powered charger. Saw one on the trail this year.

That's a really bad suggestion unless you want to take the chance of meeting the local police.

kayak karl
11-28-2008, 22:04
If you OR ANYONE ELSE wishes to discuss it further, please PM me.

posting is better, you,re only 34, you worry about your kids when they are away for the day or over nite. at 53 and youngest 17 you worry about everything. plane flights, dangerous jobs, crazy boyfriends, souped up cars, etc. i may blackmail them at times:), but it is only because i love them. i want to know they are safe.
at 20 this might be the most days hes been away where they were not certain where he is. as a good son he should ease their concerns and work out a compromise. they reared him, he owes them that much:) and $100,000.00:D

Mags, there were :) in my posts. if im serious :mad:, :)

Mags
11-28-2008, 22:13
at 20 this might be the most days hes been away where they were not certain where he is. as a good son he should ease their concerns and work out a compromise. they reared him, he owes them that much:) and $100,000.00:D

I am trying to be nice here and steer the topic to the original question.

If you, or anyone else wishes to talk about the ethics/needs of a daily phone call, and wish to do it publicly, perhaps start a new thread.

ps. I realize your post was a bit light hearted..the follows up from other people, perhaps not so much. :)

Slo-go'en
11-28-2008, 22:28
Okay, back on topic:

In my experiance, a solar charger small enough and light enough that you'd be willing to carry it 500 miles does not do the job. A "AA" powered charger will work, but you need an endless supply of AA's, as one set is worth one full charge, if that. Therefore, you still need to have an AC charger available.

The OP said he has a iphone. This, like all apple products, likely does not have a removable battery. If your using the iphone just as a phone, replacing it with a low end phone, preferably one with a removable battery, will give much longer life between charges. If however, your using the phone to do other things, like MP3 player, take photos, keep a journal, check your email, etc, then you will run the battery down fairly quickly. If it will run say 30 or 60 minutes a day for 3 to 5 days, you likely will only need the AC charger. The AA powered charger could also be carried as a back up if needed to keep the thing running for an extra couple of days before getting to a town, but I would not count on it as my only source for charging.

Turning off the phone helps a lot. What many people don't realise is cell phones periodically try to connect to a cell tower and say "here I am", so the network knows where to route an incomming call to. This runs the battery down. I would also study and implement any and all power saving features in the device, which usually involes turning off unneed features and programs.

As to where to find an AC outlet, I guess this has been pretty well covered.

Mags
11-28-2008, 22:34
The OP said he has a iphone. T

While the OP said he was carrying an I-Pod, no mention of any specific phone.

So my basic question is if you carry a phone or ipod, how do YOU charge it on the trail?

I think the overall consensus of just carrying the charger should work for a normal phone....

Cheers...

Toolshed
11-28-2008, 22:40
Before I forget, you could also look into a larger battery with an extended life - This caused us to stop using out AA charger. My wife went this route and the cellphone X-life battery easily last 10 days if we are only making several 2-3 minute calls every night.

bigcranky
11-28-2008, 22:43
The OP said he has an iPhone 3G. As slo-go-en points out, using it for music, photos, journal, etc., will quickly run down the battery.

If you do want to carry the iPhone, turn it all the way OFF to preserve battery power.

Slo-go'en
11-28-2008, 22:44
It'd be for the iphone 3g.

Nope, he said its for an iphone. But rereading he also says its just to use as a phone, so I'd now suggest he get a cheap tracfone and leave the expensive iphone home. And I guess we all agree the AC charger is the way to go.

Deadeye
11-29-2008, 01:27
When my cell phone is turned off, it will keep a charge for weeks. If the phone is just for a twice-weekly call home, it will still likely keep a charge for two weeks or more. Why not test it out at home to see?

How about carrying a spare battery (1 ounce? less?) and put the charger in a bounce box?

Panzer1
11-29-2008, 01:52
My cell phone only weights 4.3 ounces so weight is not a big issue especially for a physically fit 20 year old.

There's nothing wrong with calling home every once in a while, also you can call friends and stay in touch, you could also order new gear over the cell phone. There are even places you can order pizza delivered over the phone. Plenty of good reasons to carry a phone.

As others have said, when you recharge your phone, if your not paying for the electricity then your stealing.

Panzer

CherrypieScout
11-29-2008, 08:03
I use a small charger ( at the most 2 oz.) that you plug your phone into and turn a crank. 60 turns on the crank = about 6 minutes of talk time. It does work. It is similar to the hand crank flash lights or weather radios.
As a mom of 2 boys - take your cell phone and call home. We worry.

Toolshed
11-29-2008, 09:25
My cell phone only weights 4.3 ounces so weight is not a big issue especially for a physically fit 20 year old.

There's nothing wrong with calling home every once in a while, also you can call friends and stay in touch, you could also order new gear over the cell phone. There are even places you can order pizza delivered over the phone. Plenty of good reasons to carry a phone.

As others have said, when you recharge your phone, if your not paying for the electricity then your stealing.

Panzer

Way to Bring it back to common sense basics!!!!!! you're talking less than half pound for a 20 year old. :sun
PS Why am I here???? I'd rather spend my time reading (and thinking - mostly thinking) about the Front hook bra question on the Woman's thread :D

napster
11-30-2008, 00:48
Wrangler ask you parents to get you this for christmas. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73160

Dogwood
11-30-2008, 02:03

There U go! Smack em into adulthood Wolf! LOL!

This is what I dislike. What can be relatively simple is made into something much more complex than what it needs to be. Solar panels, iPhones, specialized batteries, hand cranking chargers, blah, blah, blah. If U R hiking the section from Harper's Ferry to GSMNP U R going to have to go into resupply pts. Yes? Just bounce, by priority mail, a cell phone battery charger to the places U R going to resupply or to places, like hostels/hotels, where U plan to stay and charge the cell phone battery. IF, I do decide to carry a cell phone, I still bounce the charger ahead because I'm a gram counting weenie. The battery charger that my cell phone came with weighs 2 1/2 ozs. Or, buy a cell phone battery charger, and carry the %$#@ thing. Leave the phone off unless U R making a call. If U don't live with the phone attached to the side of your face U will find the battery to last sufficiently between resupply pts, maybe even between every other resupply pt. And, if U R only going to call in to your Dad every few days like U said, why not, just carry a prepaid calling card and call when U get near a phone??? KISS! Or, maybe, best of all, leave the cell phone at home, use the calling card when opportunity presents itself, and inform your Dad that he needs to get over his irrational fears! Of course, if he's financing the hike, break this news to him gently!

Dogwood
11-30-2008, 02:07
Please, Please, let's not turn this into a discussion concerning the morality of charging a cell phone battery! It's all too easy to ask and get permission.

mudhead
11-30-2008, 07:53
Wrangler ask you parents to get you this for christmas. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73160

Saw an ad in the local paper, $99. Word must be out, at least in Maine.

BumpJumper
11-30-2008, 08:23
Where is Wrangler at on this post?

Hey if you are reading but not replying, take it from a mom. I dont care if you are 20 or 40, a parent worries if they love you. Call as often as you can. :D

Wrangler88
11-30-2008, 15:26
Okay okay. Yes I am 20 years old and I understand I can make my own decisions about carrying a phone or not. I'm paying for my own hike. Both my 09 section hike and my 2010 thruhike. But I respect my parents. Enough to ease their minds a little about my safety. I'm not going to be on my phone everyday. I will keep it turned off until I'm ready to use it. I'm not worried about carrying the extra weight. My base pack weight is about 7 lbs. so I'm sure an extra half lb. isn't going to hurt me. I am in good shape. This had nothing to do with the weight. I was wondering about functionality. I just wanted to know what was most efficiant and who uses what. I've never been long distance backpacking. So I really don't know about things of this sort. Just asking for opinions about charging the phone. Not whether I should bring it or not. I've already read the debates on other threads. I'd rather not bring it. But maybe this one thing will make them feel 100 times better. And maybe the phone calls will become less and less frequent as my hike continues. To the point of where I won't be carrying one at all in 2010. Thanks for your comments. But as a couple people have said, I don't think this has anything to do with your age. If I was 50 and my parents or wife wanted me to carry a phone to make them feel a little better, considering being away from people who I am generally in contact with once a week or so, I would.

To reply to the suggestions about how to charge the phone ...
It obviously seems like charging in town is the way to go. But I'll still be looking into other possibilities. I'm planning on trying to stay out of hostels and motels as much as possible but I'm sure I'll be there enough to keep my phone charged. Thanks for the advice.

Wrangler88
11-30-2008, 15:29
Okay I just realized that I said something in my original post about weight. But it really isn't THAT big of a deal. I'm trying to go as light as possible but an extra pound or two isn't going to kill me.

Wrangler88
11-30-2008, 15:44

This product looks interesting. And I like what I've read. Thanks for the idea.

renais
11-30-2008, 18:47
Over many years of camping, I have also found that post offices are almost always a good spot to recharge batteries. The folks at these offices often even go out of their way to find you a comfortable spot to sit, repack, etc. while the charging occurs. I have even had folks offer snacks as I do my thing. I am now also using a usb device AA-based charger from Boxwave that also has a very good led flashlight built in. It gives me the ability to charge all my electronics (cell phone and GPS), as well as the ability to power usb electonics like my phone directly from AAs when they are hooked up to the charger. There are also quite light and fast AC chargers on the market for AAs, so I can use rechargeable batteries in my setup, and recharge them at periodic stops. I have tried the cranking chargers, and found the ones that I used to be very unreliable, fairly heavy, and short-lived.
Renais

dan8794
11-30-2008, 18:50

Lone Wolf,

Why are you always so rude? I hate seeing you put in your two cents.

Obviously he is not asking your opinion about whether he should or shouldn't listen to his parents.

Why can't you ever just answer the questions asked without such rude comments?

And trust me...this is NOT the first one I've seen...I've been biting my tongue for quite a while now.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2008, 19:20
don't hold back kid

Wrangler88
11-30-2008, 21:32
Over many years of camping, I have also found that post offices are almost always a good spot to recharge batteries. The folks at these offices often even go out of their way to find you a comfortable spot to sit, repack, etc. while the charging occurs. I have even had folks offer snacks as I do my thing. I am now also using a usb device AA-based charger from Boxwave that also has a very good led flashlight built in. It gives me the ability to charge all my electronics (cell phone and GPS), as well as the ability to power usb electonics like my phone directly from AAs when they are hooked up to the charger. There are also quite light and fast AC chargers on the market for AAs, so I can use rechargeable batteries in my setup, and recharge them at periodic stops. I have tried the cranking chargers, and found the ones that I used to be very unreliable, fairly heavy, and short-lived.
Renais

Do you have a link to the one that you use?

Big Blue
11-30-2008, 21:38
Amen on the phone card. By the grace of God phones don't work that well on the trail.

Blissful
11-30-2008, 21:39
Okay okay. Yes I am 20 years old and I understand I can make my own decisions about carrying a phone or not. I'm paying for my own hike. Both my 09 section hike and my 2010 thruhike. But I respect my parents. Enough to ease their minds a little about my safety. .

This is a real sensible and thoughtful statement. Thank you (from a mother). :)

Blissful
11-30-2008, 21:45
Lone Wolf,

Why are you always so rude? I hate seeing you put in your two cents.

Obviously he is not asking your opinion about whether he should or shouldn't listen to his parents.

Why can't you ever just answer the questions asked without such rude comments?

And trust me...this is NOT the first one I've seen...I've been biting my tongue for quite a while now.

On the computer he's conceited. You'll get used to it.

:D

But if you need help in Damascus, he's there....
He's actually kinda shy.

thestin
12-01-2008, 01:29
An iPhone may not be your best choice of a phone to use on a thru-hike. You'll be on the AT&T network, which does not have great coverage for much of the trail. In much of North Carolina you will not be able to get coverage.

Also, the iPhone has a lot of features to it...and that eats battery life.

Might be better off with a cheap phone on the Verizon network.

SurferNerd
12-01-2008, 19:10
Solio Classic, or Hymini Triple Charger. I've tested both, great pro's in both. The Hymini can charge via Solar, Wind, or Handcrank

rafe
12-01-2008, 19:20

The charger for my Verizon phone weighs about 2 oz, so I carry it with me. I recharge the phone at town stops, every 3 to 5 days or so. The phone's off most of the time (it's used for outgoing calls only.)

renais
12-03-2008, 09:12
Do you have a link to the one that you use?
The USB AA charger with LED light that I use is shown at http://www.boxwave.com/products/batteryadapter/index.htm
I find the most efficient way for me to use it is to just hook it up to the phone on the (few) occasions I need it. I generally do not use it to charge the phone since that would increase my battery usage, and I don't usually leave the phone on when I am not talking. I find the flashlight to be quite useful; in fact, it is my standard light now.
Renais

brooklynkayak
12-03-2008, 10:47
A cell phone will last for weeks on one charge if you make sure to keep it off or yank the battery in some cases and only turn it on to make one short call a day. The occasional charge in town will keep it going. It may help to have your outgoing message state that you will be out of range without electricity and that you check voice mail from time to time. This will keep people from repeatedly calling and leaving voice mails.

stevie

Rockhound
12-03-2008, 19:47
if you only turn your phone on to make outgoing calls, your charge should be enough to get to the next place you can find an outlet. of course when you get there, you might not get a signal.

tom_alan
12-08-2008, 19:13
The Catalogue States "Now they can charge their music player, GPS or cell phone anywhere they roam, using solar power."

http://www.rei.com/zoom/mm/2ba0098e-7bd9-4e55-afd7-d29e00fbd347.jpg/150

Link -- http://www.rei.com/product/778226

catfishrivers
12-11-2008, 23:09
Why do so many people have to give snobbish answers? The poor guy even tried to preempt the predictable kneejerks from replying that way by prefacing out the wazoo...come on people, whatever happened to hike your own hike? He asked a question about how to charge the phone while out on the trail, not whether you approved or not...

With that said, this might be the type of product you are looking for. I doubt it charges the phone without a ton of cranking, but it might be useful.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7779723