PDA

View Full Version : Nordic Track Soft shell mid weight jacket

darkage
11-28-2008, 22:05
Hello WB ...

I was walking thro sears today during the sales of sales ... and i walked upon a softshell mid weight jacket by nordic track .. normally $100 and now on sale for $40 ... It feels alittle heavy, but i can't find specs online ...

I'm trying to find something for my spring trip in may/june for 2 weeks for at night when the temps hit the 40's or worse at 5000+ feet ... Does anyone own one, or know off hand its way too heavy even for the price and tell me to either yay, get it its a good deal or no, for more money i can get alot better mid weight .... money isn't an issue ... i just seen this for 60% off and was like eh, i'll check it out.

Thanks! Sale ends tomorrow so i'm checking stuff out online but its hard to find details, even on there site ... =/

darkage
11-28-2008, 22:10
Should of posted the link as its easier to see what i'm talking about ...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_041M0304000P?mv=rr

bigcranky
11-28-2008, 22:47
In my own personal experience, soft shells are too warm while hiking and not warm enough while camped. They are great for dayhikes in chilly weather, and active pursuits like climbing.

If you like fleece, a good combo is a 200-weight fleece jacket with a single-layer ultralight wind shirt on top. You can wear them together or separately.

darkage
11-28-2008, 23:49
I'm looking for that all around, water/wind proof with that little warmth when needed during camp ... the sleeping bag+jacket should overall be well more than enough during those months to sleep .... This is for breaks while stop'd on windy/chilly high mountain bald days ... All the fleece i've been looking at would work, but isn't wind proof and water for that matter obviously ... i wanna keep weight down, these jackets have fleece interiors ...

darkage
11-28-2008, 23:53
scratch that, i see the windproof fleece right now at REI ... i wear seperate rain gear so the waterproofing isn't needed ...

Wags
11-29-2008, 02:25
i love soft shells for dayhikes, but i don't take mine if i'm staying overnight.

darkage
11-29-2008, 02:52
kk well, i'm looking up average temps of my next 2 week trip is average highs of 77 and lows of 57 in march ... I basicly need something if it drops lower in temps, but can be used hiking to block wind shed light rain and breath ... i got my driducks rain jacket i use, and rain pants .. don't like the duck pants heh ... anyway, yeah ... i'm so confused at all the options ... different materials/companys ... a simple hint in the right direction and my headache might go away.

darkage
11-29-2008, 03:02
Should i ditch the driducks, get a good rain jacket and use a lightweight fleece along with a light merino thermal as my cool weather/rain gear ?

Something along these lines ? ... http://www.backcountry.com/store/MHW0376/Mountain-Hardwear-Cohesion-Jacket-Mens.html

bigcranky
11-29-2008, 10:44
If the average low is 57, a simple fleece pullover is plenty. Wear it under your dri-ducks jacket if it's windy. It's very unlikely to get below the mid-40s at night under those conditions, and if it does, you'll be in your sleeping bag.

A light merino wool top is great under a rain shell for cool/wet hiking.

Mags
11-29-2008, 15:39
As Big Cranky said, the softshells are more popular for highly aerobic activities (esp in winter): Trail running, snowshoe racing, ski skating, etc. Day use activities in other words. (Hey..I just realized, the jacket is called NORDIC TRACK..eg...skiing vigorously around a groomed Nordic center...)

The breathe well, repel snow and light moisture, etc. Probably not good for general backpacking.

It is not a surprise that the most popular use for this product involve activities where you can change into warm and dry clothes back home after a hot shower. :)

As for most traditional outdoor activities, layers are best:

1) Base layer to wick sweat
2) Middle layer for warmth
3) Shell layer to keep out wind, rain (or snow as I look outside!)

You can mix and match the layers depending upon conditions, your hiking style, etc.

Though there are lighter alternatives, the basic combo of synthetic or wool underwear top, 200 wt fleece and a light rain jacket works well for normal 3 season hiking (~15 at night) without breaking the budget. There are many ideas about those three layers (wool vs. synthetic, goretex vs non-goretex, fleece vs. primaloft..and so on), but the basics are pretty much the same for everyone.

darkage
11-29-2008, 16:43
mags, thanks dude ... ya pretty much summed it up and i see the light ....