PDA

View Full Version : Practice hikes in Florida Dec-Jan-Feb 09

Bare Bear
11-28-2008, 22:08
We have a thread under Class of 2009 Thru HIkers where I am trying to get small groups out on the Florida Trail for Dec-Jan-Feb. I figure if you are interested you can keep up with that thread. :welcome

solo29
12-04-2008, 14:20
when do you plan on going?

The Professor
12-08-2008, 03:01
Let me know when you plan to get out on the FL trail. I'm in Broward. Did an AT thru-hike in 2007; I don't think I will be going in 2009 unless I win the lottery. Might hike in 2010.

jonesat11
12-08-2008, 08:19
Hello... where exactly are you planning to hike.. i'm located by ocala and ft member.. bob jones

Gray Blazer
12-08-2008, 15:16
Does anyone know if Bare Bear is out hiking this week?

Bluegill
12-08-2008, 18:33
Hey Bare Bear I'd hike with you when I can.

Bluegill

BumpJumper
12-08-2008, 19:37
Gray, you know he went with us this weekend to Juniper. He did hike some. Him and MedicineMan did the Yearling.
We sorta looked for ya this weekend....

Gray Blazer
12-08-2008, 19:48
Sounds like you had a good time. I'm going for a little hike on the FT this weekend and take in some of the FL fall colors since we're actually having a real fall this year. I was hoping to hook up with BB since I heard he was going for an extended hike.

GeneralLee10
12-08-2008, 20:24
I said that I was going after Turkey Day but was not able got busy. But do plan on doing a week just after X-Mas want to do the Suwannee section but do not have a ride back to my truck. Does anyone know of a shuttle service or maybe could work out something with someone. Think the hike from SFSP to SRSP should take 4 to 5 days or am I incorrect. If I can't figure out the ride thing than I will do the whole Ocala Forest from Clearwater to Rodman dam as it is closer to home, ride will be much easier.

Gray Blazer
12-09-2008, 08:52
I said that I was going after Turkey Day but was not able got busy. But do plan on doing a week just after X-Mas want to do the Suwannee section but do not have a ride back to my truck. Does anyone know of a shuttle service or maybe could work out something with someone. Think the hike from SFSP to SRSP should take 4 to 5 days or am I incorrect. If I can't figure out the ride thing than I will do the whole Ocala Forest from Clearwater to Rodman dam as it is closer to home, ride will be much easier.
I can prolly help you out.

Gray Blazer
12-09-2008, 08:53
I think BB is out hiking cuz he hasn't responded to pm. Does anyone know where he went?

Gray Blazer
12-09-2008, 12:03
If BB doesn't call me first, I think I'm going hiking on the Suwanee FT near Live Oak. Anyone else up for a day hike on Sat.? If 2 or more of us go, we can shuttle and take a longer hike (plus you'll get a ride in the infamous gray chevy blazer).

GeneralLee10
12-09-2008, 20:41
Wish I could get out this weekend except my job has me at Eglin AFB for the next 11 days. Gray that would be great if you would beable to help out with the shuttling for the Suwannee section. I just need to confirm with boss again that it wont be a problem to get the time off.

Gray Blazer
12-09-2008, 20:58
Wish I could get out this weekend except my job has me at Eglin AFB for the next 11 days. Gray that would be great if you would beable to help out with the shuttling for the Suwannee section. I just need to confirm with boss again that it wont be a problem to get the time off.

What would work best for me is if I knew where you were going to end up. Then I could park there and walk back towards you and meet you, even camp the last night and then walk out with you. Who knows, maybe we can do the whole thing together. We'll stay in touch thru this thread.

The Professor
12-10-2008, 16:54
I'm going to have some time in between semesters, and hope to do a decent hike - maybe the Ocala section. I'm located in South Florida, in Broward. Doing a quick overnight this week on the sea-to-lake section in Johnathan Dickenson park.

Gray Blazer
12-10-2008, 23:03
I'm going to have some time in between semesters, and hope to do a decent hike - maybe the Ocala section. I'm located in South Florida, in Broward. Doing a quick overnight this week on the sea-to-lake section in Johnathan Dickenson park.

Are Maryanne and the Movie Star going with you?

The Professor
12-15-2008, 15:12
I wish. MAryanne or Ginger? Both!

GeneralLee10
01-05-2009, 23:18
I will be getting the 15th trough the 20th off just got an Ok from the boss today. I will or want to hike the section I spoke about in this thread. Does anyone see them being able to take the time off to hike with or can someone help me with my ride back to my truck? If so please PM me or some how contact me with info if not I will do the Ocala from end to end which mite not be as much fun.

Gray Blazer
01-06-2009, 00:46
I would be glad to give you a ride back to your truck on the 20th (that is a Tuesday, right?)
I wouldn't be able to get there until after 4:30 PM.

buzzamania
01-06-2009, 01:22
I just started around the northwest (alabama) terminus and did 20 miles with my daughter in prep for an august 2009 springer to tray mountain section. Went well. kinda cold but fun. We did 6 miles at night. . . she's only 10 so she was a little spooked by that but it was still fun

BumpJumper
01-06-2009, 19:21
Buzz,
You pat that little gal on the back for me. Hell I dont even like it in the dark. :sun

Gray Blazer
01-07-2009, 11:53
I will be getting the 15th trough the 20th off just got an Ok from the boss today. I will or want to hike the section I spoke about in this thread. Does anyone see them being able to take the time off to hike with or can someone help me with my ride back to my truck? If so please PM me or some how contact me with info if not I will do the Ocala from end to end which mite not be as much fun.

You need to post if you're still going and need a ride on the 20th. If so, we can PM about details.

GeneralLee10
01-08-2009, 08:01
I am sorry about not getting back sooner I'm in Naples for the week working. The WiFi in this room is not very good so I have to use coworkers cord when he is not up. Think I can walk there and back in that time the six days that is. It is about 50 mi right if this is true from the FT map. I need to walk 16.5 mi in a day that is something that can be done correct? If not inform me of what you people know about this section that mite hinder me from doing such a thing.

Thank You

Gray Blazer
01-08-2009, 09:06
I am sorry about not getting back sooner I'm in Naples for the week working. The WiFi in this room is not very good so I have to use coworkers cord when he is not up. Think I can walk there and back in that time the six days that is. It is about 50 mi right if this is true from the FT map. I need to walk 16.5 mi in a day that is something that can be done correct? If not inform me of what you people know about this section that mite hinder me from doing such a thing.

Thank You
Sounds reasonable. I take it you won't be needing a ride?

GeneralLee10
01-08-2009, 18:34
Sounds reasonable. I take it you won't be needing a ride?

I don't think so, I do Thank You for the offer when I did ask. I want the little challenge again, Thank You