PDA

View Full Version : spirulina

Scrapes
11-28-2008, 23:45
http://spirulina4nutrition.com/

Anyone familiar with this stuff? You can get it in pill form and use it as a veg supplement. Or is it similar to yerba mate?

Feral Bill
11-29-2008, 00:11
Most consider this to be of no nutritional value.

sarbar
11-29-2008, 01:11
Ewwwwwww....suffering painful memories of the god awful "shakes" my mom's friend made us drink when I was around 8 or 9 when she baby sat us.

Of all the foods I have been forced to consume in my life, Spirulina Shakes were the most gag inducing concoction ever thought up.
:eek:

It should have been child abuse. Spirulina is something I have yet to understand why anyone would want to consume. If you take it...just hope you don't get heart burn or burping after you take it.

budforester
11-29-2008, 01:18
There was much interest back in the olden days... maybe 1970s. As the write- up stated, spirulina is a source of protein and vitamins. Maybe somewhat useful as a suppliment, but I seem to recall that consuming meaningful amounts, i. e. food- size portions, would cause abdominal distress.

Serial 07
11-29-2008, 14:05
no nutritional value? :confused: i beg to differ...spirulina is a great source of a TON of different nutrients...they call it a "superfood" because of all the benefits it has...the chlorophyll itself is a tremendous cleansing agent...there's a boatload of B vitamins (maybe the most important vitamin to consume on a regular basis), a wide variety of minerals and trace minerals (in a synergystic ratio, i might add), proteins, carotenoids, and some essential fatty acids...and i'm sure much more, i just don't feel like doing the google research right now...this is what I know to be fact...i have packed out spirulina on the trail because it is a great source of nutrients...

i'm not sure why anybody would say this has no nutritional value...let's at least do our best not to spread false information... :-?

spirulina is a blue-green algae, which people take to fight back some of the tougher viral infections the body can acquire, ie herpes...

yerba mate is more comparable to green tea...the south americans drink it up down there for a number of reasons, including energy (great source of natural caffeine), vitality (sex) and for just overall health...

Scrapes
11-29-2008, 17:47
Ewwwwwww....suffering painful memories of the god awful "shakes" my mom's friend made us drink when I was around 8 or 9 when she baby sat us.
I have these very memories of being forced to take cod liver oil, mmmm mmmm.

From what I can research it seems to have a good deal of nutritional value and may be a food supplement to a hikers diet lacking in greens.

Sarbar I think I have to look into freezer bag cooking, seems the way to go.

Dogwood
11-30-2008, 03:31
no nutritional value? :confused: i beg to differ...spirulina is a great source of a TON of different nutrients...they call it a "superfood" because of all the benefits it has...the chlorophyll itself is a tremendous cleansing agent...there's a boatload of B vitamins (maybe the most important vitamin to consume on a regular basis), a wide variety of minerals and trace minerals (in a synergystic ratio, i might add), proteins, carotenoids, and some essential fatty acids...and i'm sure much more, i just don't feel like doing the google research right now...this is what I know to be fact...i have packed out spirulina on the trail because it is a great source of nutrients...

i'm not sure why anybody would say this has no nutritional value...let's at least do our best not to spread false information... :-?

spirulina is a blue-green algae, which people take to fight back some of the tougher viral infections the body can acquire, ie herpes...

yerba mate is more comparable to green tea...the south americans drink it up down there for a number of reasons, including energy (great source of natural caffeine), vitality (sex) and for just overall health...

I would add: I don't know who "Most" is that FeralBill refers to, but it's not the "Most" in medical and nutritional journals. Because they attest to Spirulina having a host of of nutrients and potential benefits. Spirulina also alkalizes the body, and can contain phytonutrients, and living enzymes. Several body building formulas contain Spirulina.

To be sure, some raw pure forms of Spirulina can taste and resemble freshly ground mowed grass(think freshly squeezed wheat grass juice), but it can be found as a dried ingredient in certain types of shake mixes that resemble and taste like a milkshake.