PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Hammock

ibigler5
11-29-2008, 02:30
So i am still looking for a tent. And in my journey to find one, i came across the Hennessy Hammock. In your opinion, do you think they are good for a backpacking trip or do you think a tent is better? Why or why not.

Thanks

River Runner
11-29-2008, 02:47
It's really a matter of personal choice. I sleep much more comfortably in my Hennessy Hammock than I can on any sort of pad. Some people don't seem to find them comfortable. The people who do generally love them (like me).

Your best option might be to either try to find someone to borrow one from to test for a night or two, or to buy a used one and give it a try. With the Hennessy you might need 2-3 nights of trail to really get a feel for it, as you sleep on the diagonal and learning how best to set the hammock up (feet slightly higher works best for me) and exactly where to lay to hit the 'sweet spot' may take a little practice.

papa john
11-29-2008, 09:01
Also, come see us at hammockforums.net which is run by the same peeps that run whiteblaze.net.

take-a-knee
11-29-2008, 10:19
So i am still looking for a tent. And in my journey to find one, i came across the Hennessy Hammock. In your opinion, do you think they are good for a backpacking trip or do you think a tent is better? Why or why not.

Thanks

Above freezing the hammock is a no-brainer, staying warm in a hammock is the challenge, and of course, the colder it becomes the harder that is to do. Wide evazote pads, Speer SPE's, underquilts, Hennessy Supershelters are all different ways to do that. Check out hammockforums.net. Most also wind up with a larger tarp than the stock hennessy.

Joe8484
11-29-2008, 16:23
I'll be using the Hennessey Ultra lite backpacker on my 09 thru.

When you go to the other side (hammock forums) don't be intimidated by the weird language they use. You will pick it up quickly...took me about a week. :rolleyes:

B.Woods
11-29-2008, 20:46
Do you plan on hiking solo or with a partner? If hiking solo, then a hammock is the way to go. I also sleep better is a hammock then a tent. As I get older the ground (and chelter floor) seems to get harder.

Staying warm is a hammock in the winter is a little tricky that takes practice. I tend to hang my hammock closer to the ground in the winter. I am alos a little more selective about my hanging spot in the winter. In the winter I look for a protected spot that will minimize the wind on the underside of the hammock. In the heat of the summer I look for a breezy hanging spot.

Bobby