PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes in Georgia

Mortician
11-29-2008, 11:47
Whoah and I encountered a full blown Coyote pack hunt about 8 miles NE of the Springer Mtn. AT terminus near Dahlonega GA. About 2am on Election Day 2008 we were awakened by the blood curdling howls of the hunting Coyotes; if I had not been zipped up tight in my tent I know I would have jumped up into the loft of the shelter and screamed like a little school girl!

We estimate they were within 100 yards of us; it seemed to last forever but probably 30 to 45 seconds and it was over.

kanga
11-29-2008, 12:01
pretty common nowadays. we had a few check us out on the chunky gal hike, but we were too tired to really care. they're just curious, but they do creep you out.

Spock
11-29-2008, 12:25
Lucky you! They're fun to listen to. Sometimes two groups will talk back and forth. Sometimes they just serenade. And sometimes they sound like the tortured souls of the damned. They usually do that to wake hikers up. Coyotes are the wiseass jokers of the woods, but otherwise harmless.

various
11-29-2008, 12:44
trixters not jokers big difference. seems to have worked on you.

MoBill122
11-29-2008, 12:49
We live between Woodstock and Roswell, GA.... not unusual to hear coyotes on a weekly serenade through the subdivision.
Bonus...they keep the population of stray dogs and cats down in the area !

various
11-29-2008, 12:50
yeah so why fix your animals now. weve got coyotes

Two Speed
11-29-2008, 14:36
Saw my first coyote four or five years ago just outside of Vogel State Park. Now we have them in the middle of Marietta. Heard them frequently on the Alabama Pinhoti two years ago. Nothing unusual about seeing them around here these days.

gaga
11-29-2008, 15:32
yep they congregate around good water sources , where other small prey stays also Hawk mountain shelter is a hot spot

daddytwosticks
11-29-2008, 15:49
Last time I stayed at Hawk Mtn shelter, the coyotes sounded like they literally ran through the tenting area...freaked out everyone that night.

MoodyBluer
11-30-2008, 00:47
Saw a pack of Coyotes and their pups (kits?) on the AT just north of Doll Flats on the descent down to Hwy 19E after spending the night at Overmountain shelter back in Aug.

I heard them yapping below me as I descended on switchbacks and turned the corner and there they were...they were surprised to see me and scattered fast. About 10-15 of them...I must've been downwind or something as I thought they would hear/smell me coming. Kind of unnerving to see that many at once.

Mortician
11-30-2008, 13:32
That was the shelter where we heard those beautiful, frightning, life changing sounds of the Coyote pack hunt; confirmed with Whoah we were at Hawk Mtn. Shelter. Only 4 of us there that night; 2 were locals from Dahlonega and the surreal sounds of the hunt was their first experience 'up close'.

Incahiker
01-21-2009, 15:01
On my 1st backpacking trip on the AT I hiked from walasi yi (the parking lot right down the road) to Cowrock mountain and set up camp there. I was with my dog and after I was through sitting by the camp fire I went to bed. I had my little dog with me and she slept in the tent with me. Well, I was woken up at about 1 in the morning by a blood curdling howl, was really creepy and my dog shot up from sleepin with her ears perked up. It sounded like it was about 100 yards away. Kinda freaked me out and I started to try to go back to sleep about 10 minutes later after I heard that howl. Then all of a sudden I heard animals run by my tent, and my dog again perked her ears up and I was hoping to god that she didn't try to bark or growl, luckily she didn't. Anyways a Whole chorus of those suckers broke out into a haunting symphony right beside my tent, scared the crap out of me because I thought that they weren't pack hunters. But there were at the least maybe 5 and at the most 10, I couldn't tell because their were other coyotes howling further away and it was all mixed together.

They would do this and then run off for about 30 minutes and then regroup close to my tent and start their song again. Finally I got so damned tired that I didn't care about it much any more and just laid my head down and got some good sleep. It was scary at 1st and for some time after, but I got so damned tired I didn't give a damn about it anymore and just went to sleep listening to them howl right outside my tent. When I say right outside I mean it, could not have been more then 10 feet away from it as I could hear their claws rasp the rock when they walked on the granite rock that overlooks the valley and Wildcat on Cowrock. I was camped right next to that rock. I must have been in the middle of their hunting grounds.

Bulldawg
01-21-2009, 15:12
On my 1st backpacking trip on the AT I hiked from walasi yi (the parking lot right down the road) to Cowrock mountain and set up camp there. I was with my dog and after I was through sitting by the camp fire I went to bed. I had my little dog with me and she slept in the tent with me. Well, I was woken up at about 1 in the morning by a blood curdling howl, was really creepy and my dog shot up from sleepin with her ears perked up. It sounded like it was about 100 yards away. Kinda freaked me out and I started to try to go back to sleep about 10 minutes later after I heard that howl. Then all of a sudden I heard animals run by my tent, and my dog again perked her ears up and I was hoping to god that she didn't try to bark or growl, luckily she didn't. Anyways a Whole chorus of those suckers broke out into a haunting symphony right beside my tent, scared the crap out of me because I thought that they weren't pack hunters. But there were at the least maybe 5 and at the most 10, I couldn't tell because their were other coyotes howling further away and it was all mixed together.

They would do this and then run off for about 30 minutes and then regroup close to my tent and start their song again. Finally I got so damned tired that I didn't care about it much any more and just laid my head down and got some good sleep. It was scary at 1st and for some time after, but I got so damned tired I didn't give a damn about it anymore and just went to sleep listening to them howl right outside my tent. When I say right outside I mean it, could not have been more then 10 feet away from it as I could hear their claws rasp the rock when they walked on the granite rock that overlooks the valley and Wildcat on Cowrock. I was camped right next to that rock. I must have been in the middle of their hunting grounds.

Yeah, they like to howl off that rock at night. Not the first story I've heard about them at CowRock!!

take-a-knee
01-21-2009, 15:30
Yeah, they like to howl off that rock at night. Not the first story I've heard about them at CowRock!!

I spent a nite on Cowrock this past June, the coyotes were there in force.

skinewmexico
01-21-2009, 15:41
Sounds like every night in my neighborhood. Went to work early the other morning, one was walking down the street. May be time to start calling them.

Kanati
01-21-2009, 16:08
I spent an entire afternoon tracking 2 of them in about a 6" snow. They were on a hunting trip. The back one was stepping in the exact tracks of the first one. When they came to a briar patch or blowdown, they would split up and go on both sides so they had it covered should something go out the back door. A couple of times the tracks would indicate they had found a mouse as you could see where they had pounced on it. The snow would be all torn up.

They are plentiful around home and I have a lot of respect for their ability to survive. I've seen them eating acorns as well as shelled corn.
:sun

NatureTalk
03-04-2009, 19:40
So, what's the consensus, are coyotes dangerous to hikers?

I'm totally ignorant on the subject of coyotes, but on a gut level must report, packs of dogs creep me out more than any single predator.

I recently learned we now have coyotes here in Florida as well.

What say you?

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 19:51
No. Coyotes are not dangerous to hikers.

bigcranky
03-04-2009, 20:33
I think I can swing it to camp on Cowrock Mtn next week on our section hike. Looking forward to it.

Coyotes aren't dangerous to hikers. Just don't smear yourself with peanut butter....

Hikes in Rain
03-04-2009, 21:03

I'm totally ignorant on the subject of coyotes, but on a gut level must report, packs of dogs creep me out more than any single predator.

What say you?

Not dangerous. I've encountered them, and was summarily ignored! But yes, they're here in Florida. I can sit on my porch and hear them on occasion.

rainmaker
03-04-2009, 23:05

What say you?

Like most wild animals with finely tuned senses, they can smell fear and will take advantage of it.

sheepdog
03-05-2009, 16:06
Not dangerous to hikers but a good reason to keep you dog in at night. Was ice fishing a few years ago and saw a pack chase a deer out on the ice. The deer coudn't stand on the slippery ice and it didn't take the pack long to get their supper.

High Life
03-05-2009, 16:17
shesh they run through the streets of boston now-a-days
but , seriously on the trail thry creep me out ..
I climbed to the top of sam moore shelter one night until some sobos showed up around 10 pm ..they thought i was drunk and crazy
they were only 1/2 right

OldStormcrow
03-06-2009, 09:57
You certainly have no need to fear the coyotes. That is, unless for some reason you plan on bringing your small dog/cat/ferret/rooster/parrot etc.

Ashepabst
03-06-2009, 11:06
Not dangerous to hikers but a good reason to keep you dog in at night. Was ice fishing a few years ago and saw a pack chase a deer out on the ice. The deer coudn't stand on the slippery ice and it didn't take the pack long to get their supper.

that's interesting

karo
03-06-2009, 22:08
For two years in a row they have invaded out deer hunting camp in So. Mid. TN. I have to add that is is after a deer kill and we dumped the carcasses nearby. That is what attracted the coyotes, but after they found the deer they lost all fear and invaded our camp and came around our campers and scared us pretty good. Last year one actually scratched at the camper door! I have started bringing my rifle in the camper with me since then.

Bulldawg
03-06-2009, 22:46
For two years in a row they have invaded out deer hunting camp in So. Mid. TN. I have to add that is is after a deer kill and we dumped the carcasses nearby. That is what attracted the coyotes, but after they found the deer they lost all fear and invaded our camp and came around our campers and scared us pretty good. Last year one actually scratched at the camper door! I have started bringing my rifle in the camper with me since then.

I'm wondering why you would dump the carcass? Are you talking about field dressing the deer and dumping the guts or what?

SouthMark
03-07-2009, 18:42
They are all over the Sipsey Wilderness and the Pinhoti in Alabama. Visited us last night on the Pinhoti east of Piedmont. Makes my little dog nervous and then she doesn't get any sleep all night. Sounded like they had some pups with them. They came up the trail about 25 yards from our tent and with the moon almost full, I could see them clearly. They paused and checked us out, then moved on.

karo
03-07-2009, 22:18
I'm wondering why you would dump the carcass? Are you talking about field dressing the deer and dumping the guts or what?
Both field dressing (the guts) and after processing, leftover hide, feet, and backbone or what little is left. We don't leave them much so I guess the coyotes decide to try and find some food we may have left out, which we don't.

Bulldawg
03-08-2009, 00:37
both Field Dressing (the Guts) And After Processing, Leftover Hide, Feet, And Backbone Or What Little Is Left. We Don't Leave Them Much So I Guess The Coyotes Decide To Try And Find Some Food We May Have Left Out, Which We Don't.

10-4!

weasel and bunny
03-08-2009, 01:05
Whoah and I encountered a full blown Coyote pack hunt about 8 miles NE of the Springer Mtn. AT terminus near Dahlonega GA. About 2am on Election Day 2008 we were awakened by the blood curdling howls of the hunting Coyotes; if I had not been zipped up tight in my tent I know I would have jumped up into the loft of the shelter and screamed like a little school girl!

We estimate they were within 100 yards of us; it seemed to last forever but probably 30 to 45 seconds and it was over.
Coordinated pack hunts among coyotes are extreemly rare.
They are a pack animal and gather to yip and bark and howl. It' is pretty cool. Can spook the be geezers out of you when they start yipping at such a short distance away.

Nearly Normal
03-08-2009, 03:51
Without a natual predator it has become a serious problem in some places.

oldfivetango
03-08-2009, 08:18
Threads like this one do so much to calm my anxieties.
Let's see,black bears are not dangerous,coyotes aren't dangerous,
neither are wolves,cougars,most grizzlies etc.
I am going to have to stop watching shows like "When Animals
Attack";especially the episode where the child was attacked by a
coyote.
Fear is the thief of dreams dontchaknow.
Oldfivetango

MOWGLI
03-08-2009, 12:15
Fear is the thief of dreams dontchaknow.
Oldfivetango
And the 24 hour news cycle feeds the fear. Just remember you're safe at home.... Unless you drive to the store in a car.

Spock
03-08-2009, 13:26
One of my neatest experiences on my 07 thruhike was when I went to a ridge just north of the William Brenn shelter -south of Bear Mt. State Park in NY - to make breakfast. Coyotes were caroling as the sun came up over Manhattan, clearly visible at 35 miles.

Spock
03-08-2009, 13:38
Oldfivetango,
Yeah. The media are completely unreliable and sensationalist about animal attacks. Have you ever seen "Killer Animals!" on the Discovery Channel? Pure bunk. Killer raccoons, indeed.

On the other hand, grizzlies, cougars and rattlesnakes do, in fact, kill people. They are just about the only North American critters that are both scary and deadly. Scary is the problem -- unlike deer which are not scary but kill many times more people than bears and cougars - 130 to 150 per year (Insurance Institute). Interestingly, the Insurance Institute counts only vehicular deaths by deer. It does not count actual attacks in which deer gore or kick people to death. This happens two or three time per year. Moose are also more dangerous than grizzlies - whether you count vehicular deaths or actual attacks.

sheepdog
03-08-2009, 21:34
Coordinated pack hunts among coyotes are extreemly rare.
They are a pack animal and gather to yip and bark and howl. It' is pretty cool. Can spook the be geezers out of you when they start yipping at such a short distance away.
Coyotes pack up quite often in the winter and run deer. Any state that has a good snow pack will allow the coyotes to run on top while the deer sink. Packing up then becomes a good way for them to hunt.

oldfivetango
03-09-2009, 07:51
Oldfivetango,
Yeah. The media are completely unreliable and sensationalist about animal attacks. Have you ever seen "Killer Animals!" on the Discovery Channel? Pure bunk. Killer raccoons, indeed.

On the other hand, grizzlies, cougars and rattlesnakes do, in fact, kill people. They are just about the only North American critters that are both scary and deadly. Scary is the problem -- unlike deer which are not scary but kill many times more people than bears and cougars - 130 to 150 per year (Insurance Institute). Interestingly, the Insurance Institute counts only vehicular deaths by deer. It does not count actual attacks in which deer gore or kick people to death. This happens two or three time per year. Moose are also more dangerous than grizzlies - whether you count vehicular deaths or actual attacks.

Yup,deer are pretty dangerous when cornered in your car for sure.
Also,it was quite interesting to witness the buck attacking the man
on the "When Animals Attack" show.True,he admitted to being smeared
in doe musk and the buck was exhibiting overt signs of hostility and
resentment after recognizing the ruse.Made great entertainment though.
Too bad a coyote didn't come along and think he was a big fawn!

Then there are the chimpanzees you have to watch out for but the one
that creeps me out the most is the KILLER BEES.How can you even know
how to avoid them?Note,my 357 magnum will stop a chimp but is useless
on killer bees.

Unruly dogs and people are also on my anxiety list.
Oldfivetango

MOWGLI
03-09-2009, 08:05
Yup,deer are pretty dangerous when cornered in your car for sure.
Also,it was quite interesting to witness the buck attacking the man
on the "When Animals Attack" show.True,he admitted to being smeared
in doe musk and the buck was exhibiting overt signs of hostility and
resentment after recognizing the ruse.Made great entertainment though.
Too bad a coyote didn't come along and think he was a big fawn!

Then there are the chimpanzees you have to watch out for but the one
that creeps me out the most is the KILLER BEES.How can you even know
how to avoid them?Note,my 357 magnum will stop a chimp but is useless
on killer bees.

Unruly dogs and people are also on my anxiety list.
Oldfivetango

There are some fairly effective anti-anxiety drugs available. Better yet, head for the hills. A little experience not getting eaten, robbed, slashed, mugged, brutalized, stung, impaled, bitten, envenomated, dehydrated, lost, starved, and generally attacked can go a long way. ;)

puddingboy
03-09-2009, 17:47
We were hiking back to our car on friday at Yellow River State Forest, Iowa and saw a large black coyote/wolf right behind our car that quickly scurried into the woods. I seemed to big to be a coyote and I don't think coyotes are ever black but I know that wolves can be. The nearest wold population is in Wisconsin not to far away. Do you think it could have been a wolf.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/wolf_map.htm

The place we were at bordered the SW side of Wisconsin on the Mississpi River.

general
03-09-2009, 18:19
Without a natual predator it has become a serious problem in some places.

i am the natrual predator.

without population control, mother nature will eventually knock the population of anything down to a reasonable number by disease.

sheepdog
03-09-2009, 21:53
i am the natrual predator.

without population control, mother nature will eventually knock the population of anything down to a reasonable number by disease.
You're right, and going out with disease is a nasty way to go.