PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's Tooth and Croquet?

Frau
11-29-2008, 21:20
Saturday's Dragon's Tooth hike taught me two things: 1.) hiking is a breeze compared to schlepping myself up and down rocks with a 3 week old surgical scar on my left wrist (DUH, Frau!), AND 2.) There are 3 guys who backpack with CROQUET equipment in their packs--no kiddin'!

The three young fellows were in the 311 parking lot preparing for the climb. I noticed croquet mallets lashed to each pack. One fellow was carrying a croquet ball in his hand. Nessmuk had to know what was going on, so asked them. They answered that that was what they do---play croquet and hike.

Anyone else ever seen these fellas? Hikerhead?:-?

Frau

Blissful
11-29-2008, 21:51
That's pretty interesting. Wonder where they planned to play?

Frau
11-29-2008, 22:27
Nessmuk neglected to ask where they play. We just shook our heads and smiled. They passed us and were no longer at the top when we got there. They were headed south bound with full packs.

Fr.

Hikerhead
11-29-2008, 23:06
That would be a strange site. No, I've never seen them. I would guess their closest playing field would be the field you cross to get to the Pickle Branch shelter.

Dances with Mice
11-29-2008, 23:31
Probably eXtreme croquet players.

No, seriously, eXtreme Croquet. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_croquet)

Monkeyboy
11-29-2008, 23:34
Do you croquet, DWM????

If so, I could use a new scarf or sweater.......thanks so much! :)

Bare Bear
11-30-2008, 01:21
I'll check with Brier Patch (01) who lives just down hill from there and see if he has been finding big colored balls in the horse pasture. :)

mudhead
11-30-2008, 08:01
Probably eXtreme croquet players.

No, seriously, eXtreme Croquet. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_croquet)

Did Frisbee golf with summit posts being the pin once here in Acadia.

Key word is once.

Frau
11-30-2008, 18:19
That has to be it--eXtreme Croquet! Far out!--altho not for me.

Thanks, DWM!

twoshoes06
12-03-2008, 12:00
Maybe someone should start setting up some frisbee golf "holes" and the A.T. can become the world's longest extreme croquet field and frisbee golf course!

Frau
12-04-2008, 20:42
Seems like those young fella's arem well on the way to the extreme croquet half of it!

rafe
12-04-2008, 21:41
IIRC, Dragon's Tooth proper (via short blue blaze) felt like an enclosed courtyard, with a surprisingly large, flat area. I half considered camping there, but figured it was probably taboo and in any case way too open and obvious. Not to mention hard, dusty ground (probably too hard for tent stakes.) But croquet would definitely have been possible.

Blissful
12-04-2008, 21:57
I prefer bocci.

:)

Frau
12-05-2008, 00:30
I've never played bocci ball. But did get so tired of tennis I will probably never play again, after coaching for 15 years.

Things change. Nessmuk is urging cross countgry skiing. Hmm...

Fr.

superman
12-05-2008, 00:40
I've never played bocci ball. But did get so tired of tennis I will probably never play again, after coaching for 15 years.

Things change. Nessmuk is urging cross countgry skiing. Hmm...

Fr.

It's time to try kubb. :)

sheepdog
12-05-2008, 09:21
IIRC, Dragon's Tooth proper (via short blue blaze) felt like an enclosed courtyard, with a surprisingly large, flat area. I half considered camping there, but figured it was probably taboo and in any case way too open and obvious. Not to mention hard, dusty ground (probably too hard for tent stakes.) But croquet would definitely have been possible.
If you can't drive a tent stake, those little wire hoops would really be hard to put in the ground.

Dances with Mice
12-05-2008, 09:50
If you can't drive a tent stake, those little wire hoops would really be hard to put in the ground.Hoops can be done, it's those stakes at each end behind the double hoop thingy that's hard.

I hope y'all can follow all that technical jargon.

sheepdog
12-05-2008, 09:54
Hoops can be done, it's those stakes at each end behind the double hoop thingy that's hard.

I hope y'all can follow all that technical jargon.
They obviously are not crow quet officionados like us. Kind uv makes me feel smug.:D:D

Frau
12-05-2008, 20:26
I may need to find a set at the flea market. The folks had a great old set, but it disappeared long ago.

Wasn't Wimbledon originally a lawn tennis and croquet center? Sticky wicket, no?

Frau

Frau
12-05-2008, 20:31
Kubb sounds interesting. I am trying to figure out what GUTNISH is right now. A perplexing question for a language teacher.

Fr.

Blissful
12-05-2008, 20:46
But I also love croquet. :) Come up here some time, Frau, we can do a day hike then come to my place and play croquet on the front lawn. Though right now you'd have to dodge aorund the manger scene, deer, trees, polar bear, seal, penguin, etc. :)

superman
12-05-2008, 21:08
Kubb sounds interesting. I am trying to figure out what GUTNISH is right now. A perplexing question for a language teacher.

Fr.

Kubbs is a great game. It's available in IKEA. I predict it will sweep the country.
I'm not a language teacher. Most of the Swedes I met spoke many languages, including english better than me.

Frau
12-07-2008, 19:11
I would be delighted to do a day hike and then croquet!

Next trip to IKEA (next trip to DC to see my sis or pop) I will check out kubb.

Frau

superman
12-07-2008, 20:02
People have carried all kinds of crazy stuff hiking but Kubbs makes more sense that Croquet.
I'm not an expert. It was my son who married someone from the land of the blond people. However, it seems that if you don't know what to say, you just say Kubbs and they smile. I'd never played it before this summer when they invited me to play in Sweden. They stopped smiling when I informed them that I was the 1967 world champion Kubbs player. That made them nervous until the game started.:)

Frau
12-07-2008, 20:32
;)

Fr.

Doctari
12-07-2008, 21:26
A.T. Frisbee golf. Sounds like fun!

What to use as "holes":
Double blazes?
Shelters?
AT signs (at road or trail crossings)?
Rocks shaped like the state you are in?