PDA

View Full Version : Fall Gathering or whatever

BumpJumper
11-30-2008, 08:29
We are booked at Juniper Springs for Dec 5-7th. I am coming in sometime around noon on Friday. My paddle club will be kayaking the run on Sat morning at 8 am then that afternoon some of us will be doing a hike. Fireside drinks and eats at dark with lots of BS stories and such.
Slow, keep your teddy bear at your site PLEASE...:D:D:D
Anyone is welcome and it will be great to see yall again.
I am on lot 60 in the "Wildflower" so any of you tenters better make reservations.
If you cant come to camp, come to paddle or hike or sit around the fireside. Just do it.

Hammock Hanger
11-30-2008, 08:54
I am out of town on vacation. We won't be back until Sunday night.... One of these days I'll be around, maybe next year.

JaxHiker
11-30-2008, 10:12
I'm out too. Hope you guys have a good time.

BumpJumper
11-30-2008, 10:40
Slackers....:cool:

Slosteppin
11-30-2008, 14:50
Can I intrude with a question?

I plan to drive from Largo up to Juniper Springs Monday (12/01/08). I want to hike from Juniper Springs to Hopkins Prairie, camp over nite then hike back. I'm not sure if I have enough daylight to hike to Hopkins Prairie before sundown.
I've not backpacked in Ocala (or Florida) before but lots of experience 1200 miles north. I'm visiting from Michigan.
Can anyone suggest options?

Slosteppin

trailtalker
11-30-2008, 17:40
Depends on how "slow steppin" ya are. I think it's about 10.6 miles, give or take. The section from FR 10 to Hopkins is sunny and kinda sandy, but very doable in a day.
Enjoy!

trailtalker
11-30-2008, 17:45
If that seems a little far, hike north to Hidden Pond for the night. It's about 6 miles. Go to the other side of the pond around the corner and there are lots of nice spots along the prairie.

Gray Blazer
11-30-2008, 18:01
Look out for Big Foot.

BumpJumper
11-30-2008, 18:12
Gray....are you the one that left the flyer up at Rogers BBQ?:eek:

And are you coming to Juniper or not? All that belly achin and time is a wasting...

Slosteppin
11-30-2008, 18:56
If that seems a little far, hike north to Hidden Pond for the night. It's about 6 miles. Go to the other side of the pond around the corner and there are lots of nice spots along the prairie.

Thanks, that was the kind of answer I wanted. My book lists Hidden Pond but not the distance to get there. This gives me the option I needed.

With sundown at about 5:30, I want to get to a camping spot by 4:30. If I can get to Hidden Pond by 2:00 I will push on to Hopkins Prairie. Ten miles is an easy day on a well marked trail.

Slosteppin

BumpJumper
11-30-2008, 19:00
With sundown at about 5:30, I want to get to a camping spot by 4:30. If I can get to Hidden Pond by 2:00 I will push on to Hopkins Prairie. Ten miles is an easy day on a well marked trail.

Slosteppin

70 years old and hiking 10 miles EASY days.....
Damn, I am doing something wrong with this 50 year old body...:mad:

Slosteppin
11-30-2008, 22:38
Damn, I am doing something wrong with this 50 year old body...:mad:

I'm retired - hiking and trail maintenance are what I DO. That is besides travel to visit family around the country. My wife worries but I hike anyway, usually alone. Wish I could join you next weekend but my wife says we have family to visit here too.

Slosteppin

JaxHiker
11-30-2008, 22:39
Hopefully the trail crew got in there in Oct and cleaned things up from Juniper to Hidden Pond. We had a rough go of it back in Sept with all the debris cluttering the trail. The crew was supposed to be cleaning it up the following week. If so it shouldn't be bad.

If you want to see my write-up just visit my site. Click on the link for Sept and look at Juniper Day 1 & 2.

Gray Blazer
11-30-2008, 23:14
Gray....are you the one that left the flyer up at Rogers BBQ?:eek:

And are you coming to Juniper or not? All that belly achin and time is a wasting...

I'll be watching to see what happens. The wife and I have the weekend together. Maybe we'll drop by. If not have a good time.

I did not leave any flyers. Did someone see Big Foot?

BumpJumper
12-01-2008, 05:44
I dont know Gray. Trailtalker read it. Guess you will have to come to Juniper and read it!!:D

GeneralLee10
12-01-2008, 18:03
I will try and get out on this weekend do some hiking maybe from the N. trail Head though. I am a new member of the FTA now well me and the family. Just need to get my daughter not to be scared of the dark, last time we went to Juniper she maid me come home @ 11 in the night because she was scared. I did my best to convince her every thing was OK, but no way had to go.

Bare Bear
12-01-2008, 18:12
Count me in but I will be tenting. See everyone Friday!

BumpJumper
12-01-2008, 18:34
SLOW....where you at STEAK buddy!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Ind...the more the merrier.
I dont know if MedicineMan is coming our not yet. He said he may have to back out.

slow
12-02-2008, 00:25
SLOW....where you at STEAK buddy!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Ind...the more the merrier.
I dont know if MedicineMan is coming our not yet. He said he may have to back out.

Last weekend i had all the steak you wanted...but it went to my buddy Teddy.:D

Hands down the biggest black i seen in fl in 30yrs.

BumpJumper
12-02-2008, 05:38
Ok, how about just showing up then? This way, we can make you our "Bear Bait" and we can relax about ole Ted..:D

BumpJumper
12-02-2008, 19:57
Here is a list of who is coming so far. Some folks may have to make some last minute adjustments but so far...this is it.

BumpJumper
Trailtalker
Bluegill
MedicineMan
BareBear
Cali (paddler)
Michael (paddler)
Ed (paddler)

and a few possible "strays":D

BumpJumper
12-02-2008, 20:02
Barry, are you bringing your kayaks and RV or did I mix that up?:-?

BumpJumper
12-07-2008, 17:56
Just got home and unpacked. Had a great time. We all had a blast. Paddling was great and beautiful as usual. The RV was a treat. It was chilly but not so much that we needed more that a blanket.
The guys faired well after they got rained on the first day. ( Medicine man likes how I wake him up!:D)
IF yall missed this one, its never too late to plan the next one....:sun