PDA

View Full Version : A resupply question

chris
04-05-2004, 11:59
In Jack's resupply article, he mentions a 7-11 for resupply, but notes that a mail drop would be a good idea. I'm normally not one to diverge from Jack's stands, but is the 7-11 really that bad? Usually, 7-11 means a good resupply for me. I poked around a little and it seems most people do send themselves a maildrop to HF. I would like to buy completely as I go, but don't want to have to hitch into Charlestown if I can avoid it. Anyone tried buying in HF?

For what its worth, here is where I'm thinking of resupplying this spring. I'm not sure how far I'll go, so I just planned up to Kent (no good reason for this). All are buy in-town, or hitch from town to another town and back to buy. I'm trying to minimize how much I go into town, so some of the legs are long.

Damascus (start).
VA683/I-81
Pearisburg
Troutville
Waynesboro
Linden
Harpers Ferry
Duncannon
Delaware Water Gap (maybe Stroudsburg)
Unionville
Bear Mountain Circle (I think there is a store somewhere around here)
Kent (end)

Footslogger
04-05-2004, 12:13
Chris ...I had 3 "Food" re-supply boxes on my thru-hike last year:

Harpers Ferry
Bear Mountain
Glencliff

You can hit a little convenient store in Harpers or take the shuttle bus out to the grocery store, but I really didn't want to hassle with that.

Bear Mountain isn't really a "town" per se. There's a huge lodge and nice big grassy activity area but not much else. However, there is a little (and I emphasize LITTLE) Post Office within walking distance of the Bear Mtn Lodge. I'd suggest you mail yourself a food box there. Otherwise you have to hitch a ways into a town.

Glencliff (as far as hikers are concerned) is just a wide spot in the road. There's a hiker hostel and a Post Office. The owner of the hostel will drive hikers about 15 minutes to a pizza, hamburger, hot dog place and there is a small convenient store near that little restaurant but that's about it. You can get a few items at the hiker hostel and of course, there is a hiker box full of stuff others have left behind. But I suggest you do yourself a favor and have a food resupply box sent to the Post Office, which is right across the street from the hiker hostel.

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

chris
04-05-2004, 12:25
Thanks for the HF info.

In Bear Mountain, I was thinking of Bear Mountain Circle. The Companion lists a Fort Montgomery 0.7 miles down a road, where there are a couple of stores. Anyone use this?

A-Train
04-05-2004, 12:40
Yeah there is a small town tho stuff is a bit spread out. They just built a huge Holiday Inn express there about a mile from the Trail. I believe there is a motel, a restraunt and a store there. I would probably skip this option altogether as people seem to mostly have negative experiences with this location for some reason or another. I would just supplement with a day of food here or there at the Deli's all within a half mile from the AT in NY. Especially if your putting in high mile days you'll have no problems here and you don't seem to be picky. Mtn Top Deli is a half mile off the Trail at NY52 and can definately get you to Kent. Get a good lunch or dinner at the Cafe or Restraunt at the Bear Mtn Inn but i'd ditch the Ft Motgomery IMO.

A-Train
04-05-2004, 12:50
Thought i'd explain my reasoning a bit. hitching is illegal in NY so I generally tried to keep walking to a minimum there. I really like NY52 because there wasn't just a deli, but a great pizzeria. There is no town or motel there so there is nothing really to distract you once you've eaten :) If you wanted to you really wouldnt need to carry more than a day worth of food thru this section because there are so many opportunities for meals and food. Hit Graymoor Friary for dinner if you can. I was too early in the season.

And as far as Harpers Ferry goes: I, like most, did a maildrop to the ATC office. I DID walk down to the 7-11 anyway, so I guess the theory of maildrop wasn't so great. It is literally the only show in town as far as snack foods in the evening besides a restraunt or two. If you want beer or ice cream, you gotta trek it the 2 miles or so down there. The selection is like any other 7-11. I personally could have resupplied there maybe for a 2-3 stretch but since I was going to Duncannon (5 days) I thought it would be wiser to have so more variety. HF is not exactly a "town" for hikers, tho it has a great outfitter and an excellent pizzeria.

Blue Jay
04-05-2004, 13:03
I know this is a bit off topic, but hitching is illegal in all AT states. I do not believe the police will harrass you any more in NY, than any other state. In fact in both NY and NJ I have obtained rides from State Troopers. Don't tell anyone, they saw the pack and were being extra human. The rest of your post, A-Train, is spot on.

Youngblood
04-05-2004, 14:37
If my memory is correct, the bus service to the town with the groceries was not running on the days I was there (weekends?) back in 2000 and the pickings at the 7-11 weren't as good as I had hoped for.

Youngblood

Jack Tarlin
04-05-2004, 16:07
The 7-11 Chris is speaking of is in Harper's Ferry, or to be more accurate, it's over the town line and is in Bolivar, West Virginia. And while Chris is right about there being nothing wrong with re-supplying in a convenience store here or anywhere else, one is generally limited by the depth of their selections as well as high prices. Also, this particulkar market is close to a mile walk from the Trail; most folks find it more convenient at arrange a food maildrop at either the Harper's Ferry Post Office, or better yet, at the A.T.C. headquarters, which is open 7 days a week in hiker season.

As for the other locations mentioned, a lot of folks send themselves food at Bear Mountain; others walk to a store.

smokymtnsteve
04-05-2004, 17:07
I know this is a bit off topic, but hitching is illegal in all AT states. I do not believe the police will harrass you any more in NY, than any other state. In fact in both NY and NJ I have obtained rides from State Troopers. Don't tell anyone, they saw the pack and were being extra human. The rest of your post, A-Train, is spot on.

My heart is broken ..the Blue Jay rode with da man.

the ENd of TIME is near.

A-Train
04-05-2004, 17:13
My heart is broken ..the Blue Jay rode with da man.

the ENd of TIME is near.

HAHAHAHA :)

Bear Magnet
04-05-2004, 18:02
Really? I thought it was just illegal in NY. That was the only place where cops stopped and told me it was illegal to hitch. They didn't run me in or anything, and one gave me a ride to the trail, but they did tell me hitching was illegal.

One cop in Virginia ran my license, but did not otherwise harrass me or tell me hitching was illegal.

Bear Magnet