long-john bottoms
beanie
gloves
Hiking shoes
Blister kit

How does that sound?

4eyedbuzzard
11-30-2008, 11:43
Without picking through what's already there, what about: toothbrush, pocket knife, map(s), minicompass, whistle, guidebook or companion, small first aid kit(a few advils, tweezers, etc), a little duct tape (maybe 6' total wrapped around hiking poles), camera, spare batteries, etc.

Just some things to consider.

tucker0104
11-30-2008, 12:28
I did leave some stuff out. Toothbrush, floss, tweezers, toenail clippers, guidebook, pocket knife, camera, and spare batteries. Maybe an mp3 player with speakers. Not sure yet.

mountain squid
11-30-2008, 13:12
Some observations:

30 ft of para cord may not be enough
as 4eyedbuzzard mentioned - maps?
hand sanitizer
one eating utensil is enough
a down jacket might be too hot to hike in
if no cell phone, a phone card and important phone #s
sun screen
ear plugs
lighter
tp (of course)
pencil/journal
bandana/buff

And, of course, don't forget ID/ATM/Credit cards.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Blissful
11-30-2008, 13:49
One canister should be fine, at least down south.
One 20 oz bottle is enough, esp with a camelback too
can get a combo lexan spoon with fork tines at the end
I am a big sock fan and think two pairs of socks are not enough to avoid blister issues. I'd add one more.
One short sleeve shirt for the start is all.
Down jacket good idea for camp at start but can send home by May
bring some vit I (advil)
dont need clippers and tweezers if you have a multi knife - scissors on it works fine and tweezers can be included

Bare Bear
11-30-2008, 17:53
The filter is 20 oz. Leave it home, take a 1 oz. Visine bottle of bleach instead (2 drops per 32 oz of water, shake well, wait min of 20 minutes).

Lone Wolf
11-30-2008, 17:55
bleach ain't no guarantee

Serial 07
11-30-2008, 21:47
no filter...be smart and you'll be fine...forget coors, the mountain strems don't need fermented wheat to taste good...

BigBlue
11-30-2008, 21:56
I'd keep the filter, they may be heavy but at least the water tastes good.
Lose the underwear, add another pair of socks for camp and a pair of immitation Crocs.

TOW
11-30-2008, 22:01
Osprey Atmos 65 pack
Marmot Sawtooth +20 sleeping bag with a sea to summit thermal liner
Katadyn pro filter
3 liter camelback
Kelty solo tent that is like 6 ounces heavier but I got it for free
Gigapower stove with two canisters
One cooking pot
One coffee mug
2-empty 20oz bottles
30ft of parachute cord
headlamp
sea to summit poncho
camp towel
antibacterial wipes for a mid-week shower
Walking poles
Lexan fork and spoon

Clothes:
North Face zip of pants
2 wick-a-way shortsleeve shirts
2 pair of underwear
2 pairs of socks
Crocs
long sleeve wick-a-way shirt
Montbell down jacket
long-john bottoms
beanie
gloves
Hiking shoes
Blister kit

How does that sound?You are ruining your hike already, don't take anything........:D

Runsalone
12-26-2008, 23:07
Osprey Atmos 65 pack Making cuts in gear=smaller lighter pack
Marmot Sawtooth thermal linerDump liner use jacket if gets too cold
Katadyn pro filter Aqua mira 4 oz.
3 liter camelback 2 liter platy no hoses use bottles
Kelty solo tent 8x10 tarp with triptease lines 15 oz.
Gigapower stove with two canisters one canaster - 6ish oz.
One cooking pot 1 liter 5-6 oz. ?
One coffee mug Use your water bottle
2-empty 20oz bottles Soda or gatorade bottles right?
30ft of parachute cord Use spectra, length sould be ok.
headlamp tikka with lithiums 3 oz.
sea to summit poncho Any chance this could be ur primary shelter?- 4-6 POUNDS!!!
camp towel Use your bandanna dump this.
Walking poles
Lexan fork and spoon Just spoon

Clothes:
North Face zip of pants
2 wick-a-way shortsleeve shirts dump 1
2 pair of underwear dump 1
2 pairs of socks Add thick ones JUST for camp\dry socks
Crocs Flip flops or use trail runners and ditch
Montbell down jacket sweet!
long-john bottoms what kind?
beanie
gloves
Hiking shoes
Blister kit Whats in it?

How does that sound?

There are some semi drastic lighter weight options. Certainly not a bad list to begin with though!!! Id have no problem hiking with what u listed. Youll be nice and snug in ur jacket and bag in your roomy tent enjoying some coffee out of a proper mug. Nothing wrong with that!!! Ditto with the others that some thing are missing/ not listed.

Lyle
12-27-2008, 08:05
I did leave some stuff out. Toothbrush, floss, tweezers, toenail clippers, guidebook, pocket knife, camera, and spare batteries. Maybe an mp3 player with speakers. Not sure yet.

Didn't see anyone jump on this yet. Leave the speakers home. Heavy and I doubt many other hikers will want to listen to your music.

Captain
12-27-2008, 11:05

you WILL not come back alive if you bring speakers

bigcranky
12-27-2008, 11:17
Didn't see anyone jump on this yet. Leave the speakers home. Heavy and I doubt many other hikers will want to listen to your music.

I was out for a section last spring, and a pair of hikers had their little speakers hooked up to their iPod at a crowded shelter. GRRRRRRRR. I got them to turn it off for a little while, but then it was back on when I came over to cook dinner.

The problem is that most hikers are nice enough not to say anything, even when they are mad as hell. If you use speakers around any other hikers, you are making a statement that you are rude and inconsiderate. Don't do it. Cell phones are bad enough.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2008, 11:20
staying in a shelter is like living in the inner city. ya gotta suck it up and deal with the noise. it's all about choices

Captain
12-27-2008, 11:26
I was out for a section last spring, and a pair of hikers had their little speakers hooked up to their iPod at a crowded shelter. GRRRRRRRR. I got them to turn it off for a little while, but then it was back on when I came over to cook dinner.

The problem is that most hikers are nice enough not to say anything, even when they are mad as hell. If you use speakers around any other hikers, you are making a statement that you are rude and inconsiderate. Don't do it. Cell phones are bad enough.

You know i have to agree with you. I went to an outfitter to try on packs. In the store the salesman fitted me up with the Osprey Argon 85. He told me it was just like the Aether just a different name, His theory?

"they jsut wanted it to sound cooler like you know something from lord of the rings or something"

i will go on record saying that viggo's character is ARAgorn not argon. So even though i was mad that he was that presumptuous i just had a bit of a chuckle like "You know you have to be right big company=big names=big profits" i ended up taking a HUGE step down from the Argon 85 to the Northface Crestone 60

Pedaling Fool
12-27-2008, 11:46
What kind of Kelty tent do you have? I use a Teton II. I also have a Crestone I http://www.rei.com/product/747989, but I can't stand one-man tents - too cramped. I used it once on a biking trip, but sent it back for my 2-man tent. Luckily I didn't spend any money on the one-man tent.

bigcranky
12-27-2008, 15:40
staying in a shelter is like living in the inner city. ya gotta suck it up and deal with the noise. it's all about choices

Yeah, I know, I shoulda just moved on. Oh well.

Johnny Thunder
12-28-2008, 15:25
Osprey Atmos 65 pack
Marmot Sawtooth +20 sleeping bag with a sea to summit thermal liner
Katadyn pro filter
3 liter camelback
Kelty solo tent that is like 6 ounces heavier but I got it for free
Gigapower stove with two canisters
One cooking pot
One coffee mug
2-empty 20oz bottles
30ft of parachute cord
headlamp
sea to summit poncho
camp towel
Walking poles
Lexan fork and spoon

Clothes:
North Face zip of pants
2 wick-a-way shortsleeve shirts
2 pair of underwear
2 pairs of socks
Crocs
Montbell down jacket
long-john bottoms
beanie
gloves
Hiking shoes
Blister kit

How does that sound?

First off...you're looking pretty good here. You've got a good base here. Just be prepared to at least consider changing everything while you are hike.

It's said a lot but you really need to consider how you're going to use every piece of gear for more than one task. That said, here's some ideas.

Keep the handywipes, but not for a weekly "shower." You're going to be so encrusted with dirt and grime that they won't even scratch the surface. What they will do is keep you clean where it counts. To take a weekly "shower" take a 2 ounce bottle of Bronners and modify a regular soda bottle cap into a shower head for your camelback. I used the MSR bag for a daily shower starting in May. Remember, for 6 months you will live in the woods, not just visit.

Once t-shirt is enough. I'd also bag the wik-a-way long sleeve shirt and go for something warmer on top...maybe the top to match your longjohn bottoms. You'll hike it a T-shirt in 40 degree weather. It sounds crazy but it will happen.

One pair of underwear is enough.

Also, if your primary warmth is a down jacket a poncho might not offer enough protection to ensure that it will never get wet. That might be more of a judgment call on your end but I personally wouldn't be comfortable.

Ditch the coffee mug. I did. All it does it hold something while you're cooking in your primary pot. Otherwise, use the primary pot for coffee or one of your water bottles.

Leave the camp towel. I used one on/off from Franklin to Duncannon b/c I had a tarptent and thought that I needed something to squeegy the condensation. You know what else is square and holds water? A bandanna! Plus, it filters crud from water, sops seat from a brow, and can be a wash cloth. And, when a bandanna gets funky (as your camptowel will) it can go in with your dirty laundry.

30 foot of cord is enough but it won't be for long once you start using it for new shoelaces, tent tie-outs, or it just gets caught by a branch. Go with 50 feet (if at all). I didn't hang after getting over the initial jitters. By Erwin you probably won't either.

KG4FAM
12-28-2008, 15:32
One pair of underwear is enough.Free Ball, one underwear under one shorts is two layers. If you need two layers to keep warm or protect from chafing then thats fine, but if all its doing is just sitting there then get rid of it.

Johnny Thunder
12-28-2008, 16:09
Free Ball, one underwear under one shorts is two layers. If you need two layers to keep warm or protect from chafing then thats fine, but if all its doing is just sitting there then get rid of it.

I hear you... Used swim-trunk style shorts to hike since they had some support. But, I never could get used to sleeping naked against nylon. So, I did use one pair of underwear.