PDA

View Full Version : Country Cafe, Harpers Ferry

TOW
11-30-2008, 14:20
When you hike thru Harpers Ferry make sure you stop in and grab a bite at the Country Cafe & General Store.

I have eaten there several times and never have had a bad meal.

Make sure you tell them you heard about the place on Whiteblaze.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2008, 14:22
Make sure you tell them you heard about the place on Whiteblaze.

why? you get 10% off or somethin'?

TOW
11-30-2008, 14:26
why? you get 10% off or somethin'?
Nope, it is just the fact that since I told Lisa that I was putting it on here about her place that anyone who came in there and said they heard about the place from here are legends in their own minds just like me...

Pacific Tortuga
11-30-2008, 15:16
Nope, it is just the fact that since I told Lisa that I was putting it on here about her place that anyone who came in there and said they heard about the place from here are legends in their own minds just like me...

TOW, your far too nice. I think a better rebuttal for LW would have been,
About the same your getting from Dots :)

Lauriep
11-30-2008, 17:22
Thanks TOW for plugging a Harpers Ferry business. As a Harpers Ferry resident, I can say The Country Cafe is by far and away the favorite spot for locals. And anyplace that can make both broccoli and cauliflower taste good without frying gets a thumbs up in my book. There's a relatively new place in town called the Canal House that is good, too. The other day they had a carrot soup. Is Harpers Ferry-Bolivar becoming cosmopolitan, or what?

Laurie P.

Jeff
11-30-2008, 18:06
TOW,

Give us directions from the ATC offices to The Country Cafe.

dovecote
12-10-2008, 18:49
The Country Cafe is on Washington Street about a mile from the ATC headquarters. Simply make a left and head west on Washington St. once you leave the ATC. You will soon pass St. Johns Episcopal Church on the right (free chilled bottled water in season under the tree). Other landmarks you will pass are the Post Office and the 7-11 store. The Country Cafe is across the Harpers Ferry Junior High School. They serve breakfast and lunch. I second the motion as a good place to eat.

Mrs Baggins
12-10-2008, 19:11
The Country Cafe is on Washington Street about a mile from the ATC headquarters. Simply make a left and head west on Washington St. once you leave the ATC. You will soon pass St. Johns Episcopal Church on the right (free chilled bottled water in season under the tree). Other landmarks you will pass are the Post Office and the 7-11 store. The Country Cafe is across the Harpers Ferry Junior High School. They serve breakfast and lunch. I second the motion as a good place to eat.

Thanks! We'll look for it next time we're up there. We didn't know where to go except Secret Six Tavern, which is good for a draft beer and a basket of fries after a hike.

TOW
12-10-2008, 19:45
Thanks! We'll look for it next time we're up there. We didn't know where to go except Secret Six Tavern, which is good for a draft beer and a basket of fries after a hike.
oh yeah.........................

MOWGLI
12-10-2008, 19:50
There's a relatively new place in town called the Canal House that is good, too. The other day they had a carrot soup. Is Harpers Ferry-Bolivar becoming cosmopolitan, or what?

Laurie P.

Make sure to extend the pinkies when you pick up the bowl of soup. :p

DAKS
12-10-2008, 21:34
thanks TOW! will try and stop by there next month when i'm in that area!
DAKS

dovecote
12-10-2008, 21:35

An option for an evening meal (if you have transportation and a hearty appetite) is the Epic Buffet at Charles Town Races and Slots. It is less than a 10 mile drive on US 340. You name it, they have it. The creme brulee and a cup of coffee tops off a good meal.

Blue Jay
12-11-2008, 11:42

I completely agree about the Country Cafe. I've eaten there on all of my hikes. However the Secret Six is another story, over priced which I don't mind if the food and/or beer is good. The sandwich was far worse than a supermarket Deli and I think they poured Bud in their own bottles. Don't get me wrong, I love Harpers Ferry from the Town's Inn, to the the great Outfitter next door, to the ATC, to the Country Cafe. The Secret Six, great story and sign out front, but that's about it.

Mrs Baggins
12-11-2008, 11:51
I completely agree about the Country Cafe. I've eaten there on all of my hikes. However the Secret Six is another story, over priced which I don't mind if the food and/or beer is good. The sandwich was far worse than a supermarket Deli and I think they poured Bud in their own bottles. Don't get me wrong, I love Harpers Ferry from the Town's Inn, to the the great Outfitter next door, to the ATC, to the Country Cafe. The Secret Six, great story and sign out front, but that's about it.

Note I said a "Draft beer" - I only order what I can see they have taps for - and "a basket of fries" - hard to screw those up. Then we go down the hill to the ice cream place that you have go downstairs under another building to get to, and get big bowls of ice cream to eat on the lawn across the street.

general
12-11-2008, 16:40
draft beer will give you a headache. bacteria and what not in the lines of the tap. best to stick to the bottles.

Jack Tarlin
12-11-2008, 19:15
Draft beer, and beer out of barrels has been around for centuries.

Properly maintained tap lines will not give anyone a headache.

Post #15 above is a bit over the top.

And while we're on the subject, I've never had a problem with either food or dink at the Secret Six. Really nice outdoor patio and a very friendly staff.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2008, 21:22

no it's not. he knows what he's speaking of

general
12-11-2008, 21:38

And while we're on the subject, I've never had a problem with either food or dink at the Secret Six. Really nice outdoor patio and a very friendly staff.

there ain't no tavern, bar, resturant, or any other watering hole on God's green earth that properly maintains tap lines.

and what exactly was over the top about post 15? common knowledge for most folks.

middle to middle
12-11-2008, 22:55
I used to frequent a place where when they changed kegs they flushed the lines with a sponge type thing that was forced through the pipes and it was the best beer I ever drank. Was high end bar tho.

middle to middle
12-11-2008, 22:57
Because the beer tasted so good I may have drunk more and gotten a hangover.

general
12-11-2008, 23:44
hey, i wonder, if a person subjected theirself to tap funk on a regular basis, would said person eventually gain immunity to said funk?

corialice81
12-11-2008, 23:47
Well...either your cells begin to tolerate said funk or die...if they tolerate, they duplicate and pass on those "tolerated" genes to the next generation of cells...so, in theory, you could gain "immunity"

kanga
12-12-2008, 08:31

the only thing that's over the top is the fact that you actually said that. you would have to run bleach water through you k lines every week to keep yeast and bacteria from building up and NOBODY is going to do that.

Mrs Baggins
12-12-2008, 09:57
draft beer will give you a headache. bacteria and what not in the lines of the tap. best to stick to the bottles.

Been drinkin' a lot of beer from a lot of taps in a lot of countries (and states) for a lot of years........never had a headache or anything else ill from it. Think I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Tin Man
12-12-2008, 10:07
Fresh tap beer always tastes better to me than bottled and has never made me sick. By "fresh" I mean, I don't buy tap beer in a quiet bar that doesn't look like it sells much tap beer. Heck, beer is beer, drink 'em as you see 'em and don't get worked up about if it came from a keg or a bottle. :cool:

Mrs Baggins
12-12-2008, 10:44
Fresh tap beer always tastes better to me than bottled and has never made me sick. By "fresh" I mean, I don't buy tap beer in a quiet bar that doesn't look like it sells much tap beer. Heck, beer is beer, drink 'em as you see 'em and don't get worked up about if it came from a keg or a bottle. :cool:

Here here! Or is it Cheers Cheers! :sun

Blue Jay
12-13-2008, 09:19

I must have just been there on a bad day.