PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight rain shells ... marmot?

darkage
11-30-2008, 15:50
Wife asked me what i wanted for christmas ... and all i could think of was i needed a new rain shell ... I keep looking at the marmot precip ...

She says i over think things way too much ... well, here i am doing it again .. i've read 100's of reviews and all mixed messages on damn near every shell i look at ....

Here's the deal, I'm hiking 2 weeks from tn/va during the month of march ... MAYBE june, but the point is the rainfall is on average of 5 inches down south in march ... i want a good breathing/waterproof shell ... I stick to trails so the durability isn't highly needed ... I'm gonna be backpacking in it, not wearing it around town or to events ... its for backpacking, keeping me dry and sheding the wind ... I currently use driducks, and i've yet to rip um ... wanted something abit more quality but without spending 250+ for something with event ... Will this breath "enough" for what i plan on using it ... I won't be "running" in it ... Help me save my sanity ... and the wifes. =P

toddhiker
11-30-2008, 16:15
I have no experience w/the Precip. However, I am mostly pleased w/my Oracle by Marmot. My only complaint: It isn't nearly as breathable as my FroggToggs (similar to your Driducks).

To be fair, the pit zips help this, but as I pack lighter and lighter, the Frogg Toggs find their way in my pack nearly every hike.

All that said, the Precip is a very nice, lightweight option.

Good luck!

aaroniguana
11-30-2008, 16:25
I use the precip and it does come up short as far as ventilation is concerned. The upside is that I can hike in poly-pros and my precip pants and jacket (zips open) down to 20F or so and am comfortable.

Lyle
11-30-2008, 16:34
I use a generic version of Frogg Toggs. Have no experience with Precip, but these Frogg Togg knock-offs are the most breathable raingear I've ever used. You can't beat the price, especially when they go on sale.

darkage
11-30-2008, 18:27
I'm gonna order something tonight, i'm prolly gonna give the precip a shot ....

verber
11-30-2008, 18:44
Over the years I have tried numerous rain jackets (some notes (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#rainshell)). I got to tell you that the jacket you are using right now, DriDucks is what I use most of the time when I am on developed trails. You aren't going to find a more breathable jacket without spending $200 and you will be hard pressed to find something that is lighter and still waterproof. Other than durability and "style" the Precip will be a step backwards. My recommendation is to stick with your DriDucks and spend money on something else fun.

Jerk
11-30-2008, 18:54
Got to agree with verber....if you are only going to use it as a rain jacket. I use my precip for so many situations I find it indispensable.

darkage
11-30-2008, 19:05
Gah, its alittle bit about durability ... i mean, i don't snag the driducks and be ducktaping the thing together for 2 weeks ... backcountry has a 100% refund if your not satisfied ... With the driducks, the elastic wristbands annoy me ... the material feels if i pull on it it'll rip ... I've only had to use it 2 times this past summer and not for an extended period of time so i don't know how it would of held up ... When i bought them, they were to be something cheap and used over the next few trips till i bought something better ...

I like the pit zips and velcro bands and hood adjustment ... the driducks just kinda flop around ... not only that but i was looking at something with some "red/orange" color for cloudy/rainy "hunter" season type reasons ... /sigh ... i guess i'll give it more thought and go thro my gear and see what else needs replacing ... Something about driducks just doesn't leave me safe minded in case of a heavy storm ...

Deadeye
11-30-2008, 19:28
I've got the Precip -- IMO it's the worst of both worlds. It's neither waterproof nor breathable.:mad:

verber
11-30-2008, 20:11
Dri Ducks are funny. Almost everyone is very concerned about durability... and there are a few people who manage to destroy them the first time out. But just about everyone I know who has given them a shot for trail hiking ends up using them and get a lot of millage out of them. My current pair has been worn as a wind / warm-up jacket >75 days, and worn while it rained on my maybe 15 days (doesn't rain that much in the central sierras). So far, there are no patches and they look pretty good except for some pine sap stains. My previous Propore jacket was more battle scared after this much use.. but was still plenty usable. There are a number of people who have completely full thru hikes using just one pair of Dri Ducks or their near relatives.

You are right... the fit sucks with the DriDucks. You might want to think doing a bit of surgery on the wrist bands but that won't help the hood. Honestly, I just grin and bear with them. I have a Montbell Peak Jacket which is what the Precip wishes it was. Like I said, on backpacking trips on establish trails the DriDucks is what I take. If I am going off trail, or around two the Peak Jacket comes out.

I can understand the hunter season issue. There are some low cost options. I use a high visibility mesh vest designed for biking. The other option is that I believe there are several rain jackets in bright yellow made from porpore which would be much cheaper than the precip.

I think the precip is a decent jacket for around town or standing around the rain... but it just isn't breathable enough to do any amount of real work without getting really damp on the inside.

--Mark

Mrs Baggins
11-30-2008, 20:15
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0042848922933a.shtml

If this is true about Driducks (read the link) then I'd spend the money on something that would last, not something that is meant as a "short term" solution to rain and meant to be thrown away after one trip.

aaronthebugbuffet
11-30-2008, 20:30
Ive had a couple of precips.
They are hot as hell to wear while hiking in anything but the windiest conditions or temps over 35 degrees.
I also never found them to be very waterproof over an extended wearing time during heavy rains.

darkage
11-30-2008, 20:41

If this is true about Driducks (read the link) then I'd spend the money on something that would last, not something that is meant as a "short term" solution to rain and meant to be thrown away after one trip.

Thats the exact set i have now ... The jacket itself is very decent expect the cons i listed earlier ... the pants ... gah, i found them to be really annoying so i plan on getting better fitting rain pants ...

This is exactly why i post on the forums because what companys advertise can be very mis-leading ... I'm giving up the idea on the precip and will continue to look around for something better than the driducks ... If i gotta spend the money, so be it ... i guess i just almost fell into the "winner of 2008 award" logo .. this is why open forums are invaluable .... real world experiance will always out perform some companys idea's of how there products should work.

Rainman
11-30-2008, 20:55
I have the Precip. It does what it is supposed to do. It keeps you warm and dry in a cold rain.

Don't wear any rain gear in the rain over fifty degrees; just walk faster.

Under fifty degrees, a single light wicking layer and the Precip will keep you warm and dry with the pit zips open as needed.

Under forty degrees, a single light wicking layer and a light thermal layer will keep you warm and dry with the pit zips open as needed.

Under thirty degrees it is snowing and you add another thermal layer.

Under twenty degrees, no problem being too warm.

Under ten degrees stop, pitch camp, and get in your sleeping bag.

Egads
11-30-2008, 21:00

My driducks are on their second year of use.

Red Hat
11-30-2008, 21:14
I have the Precip. It does what it is supposed to do. It keeps you warm and dry in a cold rain.

Don't wear any rain gear in the rain over fifty degrees; just walk faster.

Under fifty degrees, a single light wicking layer and the Precip will keep you warm and dry with the pit zips open as needed.

Under forty degrees, a single light wicking layer and a light thermal layer will keep you warm and dry with the pit zips open as needed.

Under thirty degrees it is snowing and you add another thermal layer.

Under twenty degrees, no problem being too warm.

Under ten degrees stop, pitch camp, and get in your sleeping bag.

But I stop, pitch camp, and get in my sleeping bag under 20 degrees.

darkage
11-30-2008, 21:29
Still thinking it over ... 100% refund by backcounty if from now till the day i die, i don't like it i can send it back no questions asked.

I'm not gonna be using it for sure over 70 degrees, rain feels good above that temp ... i want a shell that just keeps my layers dry ...

Blissful
11-30-2008, 21:35
Precip worked fine for me in camp. Used it the entire trail.

Nothing is breathable while hiking.

Mrs Baggins
11-30-2008, 21:42
For backpacking I wear the REI version of the Precip - keeps me dry. For day hikes, trekking all day overseas and just errand running I wear my EMS Gortex jacket - 7 years old now and as waterproof as the day I bought it.

RedneckRye
12-01-2008, 01:08
Still thinking it over ... 100% refund by backcounty if from now till the day i die, i don't like it i can send it back no questions asked.

I'm not gonna be using it for sure over 70 degrees, rain feels good above that temp ... i want a shell that just keeps my layers dry ...

Nor you're thinking like a true thru hiker.
Buy it. Use it for 2000+ miles. Send it back.

One thing you will get used to on an extended AT hike is being wet, or damp, or moist, or clammy, or humid. Eventually it stops bothering you. At least that is what I've found.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-01-2008, 01:30
I have used the precip which did not breathe well then the oracle which did better in terms of breathability both kept me dry in extended rainstorms they never wet out on me I now use an Integral Design rain jacket which is an Event product that breathes better than any product I know on the market today Backpackinglight did a review on the Event rain jacket by Integral Designs check it out or go to the Integral Designs Website-it was more expensive but well worth the price.. Hillbilly