PDA

View Full Version : quick 0 degree bag comparison: Marmot never summer or NF snowshoe?

Big Sky
11-30-2008, 16:59
Hello everyone. I am going on a section hike in mid December and it's come to my inevitable conclusion that my UL 20 degree bag probably isn't going to cut it for a variety of reasons. Needless to say, I am on an extremely tight budget due to my car unexpectedly blowing up this weekend and plans on becoming a broke student again in January...so I had to scrap my original plans for splurging on the WM 10 degree (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=20) that I have been lusting after and instead I have been looking around for deals and comparing bags.

I figure I'd be okay in a 10 degree but it seems like those are rare, so I'll just drop down to zero. The two bags I've narrowed it down to are the Marmot Never Summer (http://www.rei.com/product/762533) (on sale) or the North Face snowshoe. (http://www.rei.com/product/763629) They are both much heavier than I'd like to go but I really cannot spend more than $200 right now. Plus, I figure with both I get the water resistant shell which might come in really handy if the weather turns very nasty.

So any advice on which to pick is appreciated. It seems to me that they're both almost the same with minor pros and cons for each. I am leaning towards the snowshoe because it comes with a compression sack (where the Marmot only has a stuff sack) and is a measly 1 ounce lighter :)

Also, if you have another bag 0-10 degree in the 3 lbs to 3 lbs 12 oz range or thereabouts which is also less than $200 I am all ears! (Also, I am a 6 foot tall woman so women's bags do not tend to fit me due to them usually being shorter...and ugly colors...)

Thanks so much everyone!

SteveJ
11-30-2008, 17:24
I have a marmot never summer that I'm happy with. Doesn't get a lot of use because of where I live, but I have used it several times in my hammock in the teens.

You really have to stuff it in to get it in it's stuff sack. I'm not sure I'd want to put it in a compression sack to get it smaller than it is in the stuff sack that came with it because of potentially damaging the loft.....

coldspring
11-30-2008, 17:37
Do you think you are going to have issues with getting your bag wet? If not, out of those two, I think I would definitely go with the down filled Never Summer. That's not a bad price for a new bag w/ that much down-fill. I think they have like 30 oz of down.

mudhead
11-30-2008, 18:42
I have been in the snowshoe. I would not trust it to 15*F. My opinion.

Big Sky
11-30-2008, 19:30
Also I should have noted that I sleep very, very hot. To answer coldspring, I doubt that it would get wet but you never know...I plan on taking my double wall tent instead of my tarp tent for this trip.

bigcranky
11-30-2008, 20:18
No question, I would go with the Never Summer over the TNF bag. It'll be more durable in the long run, and have a wider comfort range (you say you sleep hot.) It should also pack smaller.

taildragger
12-01-2008, 02:08
What about campmor's 0* bag?

Big Sky
12-01-2008, 08:48
What about campmor's 0* bag?

I am not sure. I have never used that brand before. It's pretty light for this temp rating at 3lbs 5oz, but it uses only 550 down. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40067)Anyone know if it stays true to temp rating? With that type of down I'm not sure...the price is right though ;)

buz
12-01-2008, 10:03
Regarding campmor bags, I can only comment on the "20" degree rated bags. I am scout master in big troop and we recommend them for best overall value for parents looking to spend money wisely on one bag for their scouts, for his entire scouting career. But IMO, the rating on this particular bag is not correct. We have camped enough for me to call these bags a "warm 30" rated, not 20, if comfortable sleeping in a regular light base layer and hat is your normal sleep wear. That being said, they are still very nice bags for the price, light and warm, just not really to their published number, IMO. You could get to that number by layering up, thou, without much effort.

Johnny Swank
12-01-2008, 11:18
For what it's worth, you might just as well be off packing a space blanket bag, a extra set of cheap thermals, and an extra blue pad instead of buying a sleeping bag you really aren't 100% jazzed about. Assuming you wear a hat (and other clothes), heat up a water bottle or 3, and a 20 degree bag should get you down to at least 10 degrees if need be.

Space Blanket Bag (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RZN0SW?ie=UTF8&tag=sourctoseapad-20)

Blue Foam pad (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ETXW70?ie=UTF8&tag=sourctoseapad-20)

taildragger
12-01-2008, 11:47
Check out www.spadout.com

I just found some good things there, including a montbell on sale with coupon at $240 (I'd sell something for the extra $40 and a bag that light)

taildragger
12-01-2008, 11:52
lastly, on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/NR-Marmot-Couloir-Down-Sleeping-Bag-0-degrees-NWT_W0QQitemZ150313341340QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSleepi ng_Gear?hash=item150313341340&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Biancap
12-01-2008, 13:19
If your a female check out the Marmot Teton Long 0 degree (the reg fits women up to 5'6 and the long is for women up to 5'10)... it's a little lighter but it's the same thing as the never summer and the same price. It's on sale at REI right now. I just ordered it for myself (I'm also a student and can't splurge on an expensive bag) but one of the reasons I went with this is that it has a footbox to keep your feet warm (my feet get cold easily no matter where I am so for me this is a big plus).

Big Sky
12-01-2008, 15:37
Thanks for the extra ideas. I will check spadout. I've bought climbing gear from them before but for some reason I just didn't think of them for this--thanks for the suggestion! Also I've been looking on Craig's but not really any luck there. I wonder if I could sell some old climbing gear and get a better bag... ;)

And Biancap I am a 6' tall woman so no women's bags for me. The longest I've ever seen was 5'10'' and I haven't been that height since the 9th grade >.<

Johnny is of course right. I hate to spend money on a bag that I'm not going to be happy with just to save some money, but right now that's how it's gotta be. Just found out that the dealership is going to charge me $90 just to "look" at my car...

Blissful
12-01-2008, 16:15
Just found out that the dealership is going to charge me $90 just to "look" at my car...

(slightly off topic) That's why we never go to dealers. Try to find a good auto mechanic - ask your friends, etc.

Also, the $90 could be to hook your car up to one of those diagnostic machines.

back to 0 bags... :)

River Runner
12-01-2008, 16:29
If your current 20 degree bag is roomy enough, consider buying insulated pants and jacket (if you don't already have them) and use those to stretch its rating. That way you still wear some of your warmth when you get up in the morning, and you have clothing that is suitable to wear around camp or during rest breaks.

Big Sky
12-01-2008, 19:42
Blissful: I wanted to take it to the dealership because I wanted to see if they'd cover the problem under my warranty. Lucky for me, it was covered so that's a large amount of money I'll get to keep. Too bad they don't cover towing!

River Runner: I do have plenty of winter gear but I'd prefer not to sleep in it since it tends to get wet/dirty. I don't pack clothes for camp.

You've all been so helpful! Thanks everyone. This is why I heart whiteblaze! I am thinking that I'll go with the Marmot now.

cr113
12-02-2008, 18:40
Regarding campmor bags, I can only comment on the "20" degree rated bags. I am scout master in big troop and we recommend them for best overall value for parents looking to spend money wisely on one bag for their scouts, for his entire scouting career. But IMO, the rating on this particular bag is not correct. We have camped enough for me to call these bags a "warm 30" rated, not 20, if comfortable sleeping in a regular light base layer and hat is your normal sleep wear. That being said, they are still very nice bags for the price, light and warm, just not really to their published number, IMO. You could get to that number by layering up, thou, without much effort.

They're on sale right now for $119. This may be just what I was looking for. Have you ever heard of them having problems with the zipper sticking?

Mocs123
12-02-2008, 21:49
The Never Summer is heavy, but it looks like it will keep you warm near zero. Here are the EN ratings for it.

EN 13537 Tested
Comfort:15.8F / -9.0CLower Limit:2.48F / -16.4CExtreme:-34.78F / -37.1C
How do I read the EN hangtag?
Basically the EN hangtag shows a temperature range:
Comfort Limit – Based on a standard woman having a comfortable nights sleep
Lower Limit - Based on a standard man at the lowest temp to have a comfortable nights sleep
Extreme Rating – A survival rating for a standard woman
For example, the rating on our Pinnacle 15º Sleeping Bag shows:
Comfort Limit – 22.2 degrees
Lower Limit – 10 degrees
Extreme Rating – Minus 24.7 degrees