PDA

View Full Version : any info apriciated

mudtoy1986
11-30-2008, 23:11
hello people i am planing to do a through hike from GA to ME in 2010.
i may not be in the correct place to be asking these questions.
i need info on what i am needing to compleate the trail i know everyone has diferent ideas and views as to what is best to suit there hiking abilities and style.
i am asking for advice as to what ill be needing for food what to bring so that i am not under nurished i like to eat and eat alot .
well i started to hike the trail about 6 yrs ago.
and since i didnt have the proper gear for the time of the yr that i had left i was forced to get off the trail i have been hiking and camping pretty much most of my life .
now that 6 yrs have passed i plan to hike the trail once again this time with more thought and concideration in mind verses a spure of the moment deal.
i do have most of my gear wich i had bought back in 2001 .
well excuse my spelling and my puncuation
so any info would be great hints tricks links anything that any of you guys would think could be of any use and i will take in concideration anything

A-Train
11-30-2008, 23:22
You're gonna need about 2lbs of food per day. Do research on this site, look under the articles section, specifically on resupply and search the archives and ask questions.

Go as light as you can afford to and feel comfortable doing.
More than anything a positive attititude and resiliency will be the most valuable tools.

emerald
11-30-2008, 23:22
It would likely be helpful to those who would help you were you to ask specific questions.

I suggest you begin by asking yourself what you learned from your first hike and what you believe you will need to do differently based upon your earlier experience.:-?

mudtoy1986
11-30-2008, 23:38
well thanks guysi do know what ill be doing diferently interms as to what i did wrong in the past failed trip and the food weight part thank you as well .
i have heard to tak peanut butter and cheese but what else would be a good choice in terms to high calorie to weight ratio foods

Serial 07
11-30-2008, 23:41
little debbie has a knack for fatty fat fats...

mudtoy1986
11-30-2008, 23:44
lol thanks i eat those bye the box not to bad for 140lb little guy

A-Train
11-30-2008, 23:50
lol thanks i eat those bye the box not to bad for 140lb little guy

If you're struggling to maintain weight you should be eating a high fat/protein diet. I would suggest large quantities of olive oil and butter with your dinners, and lots of nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc.). Jerky, tuna, sardines and foil pack chicken is good too. Cheese is excellent.

Obviously supplement with as much fatty foods as you can in town.

emerald
11-30-2008, 23:54
i have heard to take peanut butter and cheese but what else would be a good choice in terms to high calorie to weight ratio foods

Packing a week's supply of multi-vitamins and ingesting one daily would be effort and money well-spent on nutrition.

Are you intending to eat only cold meals?

mudtoy1986
12-01-2008, 10:41
hot meals preferably

4eyedbuzzard
12-01-2008, 11:44
i need info on what i am needing to compleate the trail

4 to 7 months free time, 3 to 6 thousand dollars, and a whole lot of willpower.

mudtoy1986
12-01-2008, 14:41
well i have all but the cash at the moment but ill have it by spring of 2010

emerald
12-01-2008, 22:42
So, what else do you want to know? Surely we haven't answered all your questions!

emerald
12-01-2008, 22:45
hot meals preferably

How do you figure you'll make fire?

Bare Bear
12-01-2008, 23:57
Read trailjournals of those that finished...........most post a list of gear they used. Weigh every single item you plan on carrying, it makes it a lot easier to eliminate WANTS vs NEEDS.

Blissful
12-02-2008, 20:27
well i started to hike the trail about 6 yrs ago.
and since i didnt have the proper gear for the time of the yr that i had left i was forced to get off the trail i have been hiking and camping pretty much most of my life .
now that 6 yrs have passed i plan to hike the trail once again this time with more thought and concideration in mind verses a spure of the moment deal.
i do have most of my gear wich i had bought back in 2001 .

If you say your gear was partly at fault for the failed hike in 2001 yet you say you have all your gear from then, perhaps you need to check on that and make some changes - ?

mudtoy1986
12-02-2008, 20:53
well in terms to gear wasnt that they failed is that i didnt have adiquate rain gear and proper foot wear plus the time of the yr in vt where i had started was a bad choice on my part
my pack sleeping bag and tent where fine i also had way to much weight so with the gear i have is as folows
msr dragonfly i like the simmer and full heat capabilties 2001
if i decide to use it i have an old aluminum pot that came with my military pack stove that was made in 1968
sierra designs clip flashlight cd 2001
gregory acadia internal frame pack 2001
and a brand new northface aleutian 20 degree sleeping bag
and a therma rest sleeping pad self inflating
so tell me what you guys think maybe i could change a couple of things
next on my list is boots and socks all i have is cotton socks right now

buz
12-03-2008, 09:42
Most of the things you have now will work fine. The pack however, is no doubt really heavy. I would think about a new one. ULA packs, and many other brands are probably 4 pounds lighter, about $250 for a new one, maybe you could spend less searching for a used one, u have plenty of time.

mudtoy1986
12-03-2008, 18:43
oh ok thanks i think the pack weighs around 5 or 6 lbs but its a realy good pack i like it alot but i was thinking about getting a newer/lighter one

verry
12-03-2008, 20:39
well thanks guysi do know what ill be doing diferently interms as to what i did wrong in the past failed trip and the food weight part thank you as well .
i have heard to tak peanut butter and cheese but what else would be a good choice in terms to high calorie to weight ratio foods

I suggest you to bring a lot of water and a light snack bars (protein bars) and the other thing you might want to check this site www.hikersvoice.com (http://www.hikersvoice.com) the site have so many detail information about how the hiker should do or bring

have fun and take it easy

Marta
12-03-2008, 20:45
A thru-hike is pretty much like a weekend hike, but much longer. You've got quite a few weekends--and holidays and vacations--between now and then. If I were you, I'd spend as much of my free time as possible backpacking. Take a notebook and make notes about things that work well and things that don't. After each hike, take out the stuff you didn't use (except for the emergency gear) and leave it behind next time. Jot down ideas for making your next hike easier or more comfortable.

As far as the food issue...have you tried counting calories? Count how many calories you take with you for a weekend hike. If you come home thinner, increase how many calories you take the next time around.

mudtoy1986
12-03-2008, 20:51
thanks guys the info is great