PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Vermont?

Joe8484
11-30-2008, 23:18
I have a week long vacation in West Dover Vermont near Snow Mountain. I can only snowboard one day because I am saving for my 09 thru-hike.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am open to anything museums, breweries, famous restaurants, snow shoeing, ice fishing.....anything really.

thanks for you help

Joe8484

oops56
11-30-2008, 23:56
You can come help me shove snow then you can go in my shop pick out a stove and fire it up for coffee. I got 100 or more he. he.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_shop19.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/?action=view&current=shop19.flv)

Monkeywrench
12-01-2008, 08:25
I have a week long vacation in West Dover Vermont near Snow Mountain. I can only snowboard one day because I am saving for my 09 thru-hike.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am open to anything museums, breweries, famous restaurants, snow shoeing, ice fishing.....anything really.

thanks for you help

Joe8484

Get out and do some hiking! Stratton Mountain, Stratton Pond, and the Lye Brook Wilderness are right nearby.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2008, 08:32
factory outlet shopping in manchester center

Peaks
12-01-2008, 09:36
When are you going? Depending on the season, lots of different things to do.

Yukon
12-01-2008, 10:14
Head up to the the Long Trail brewery in bridgewater corners!!! Make sure you try the triple bag on tap :):)

Joe8484
12-01-2008, 14:01
I leave the 14th of December. I went around the same time last year and they had about a foot of snow already...I assume I would need show shoes for hiking. Never been winter hiking before.

joe8484

taildragger
12-01-2008, 14:03
I leave the 14th of December. I went around the same time last year and they had about a foot of snow already...I assume I would need show shoes for hiking. Never been winter hiking before.

joe8484

I'd think some alpine skis would be fun. Ski up somewhere then ski back down, fastest way to travel in the backcountry on snow when you can use em. Not sure if there is a place to rent them there though...

le loupe
12-01-2008, 14:15
take advantage of Vermont's gun friendly laws and strap one on while you're there!

Tilly
12-01-2008, 14:16
If you want a walk around town day, Burlington is very nice and right on Lake Champlain.

Kerosene
12-01-2008, 16:25
If you want a walk around town day, Burlington is very nice and right on Lake Champlain.Having grown up in South Burlington, that could make for a right chilly day if the wind is blowing off the lake.

If you do decide to head 2.5+ hours north toward Burlington, then consider spending a day at Shelburne Museum (http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/), just south of the city.

Closer to Mount Snow, you might visit Sugarbush Farm (http://www.sugarbushfarm.com/) just outside Woodstock, a working farm selling cheese and maple syrup.

Here's a link I found to central Vermont points-of-interest (http://www.central-vt.com/visit/points.htm).

Ahh, I love Vermont!

JohnnyBongo
12-01-2008, 16:43
If you're in West Dover, at Mount Snow... I highly recommend some snowshoeing or cross country skiing near Grout Pond (near Stratton) or any of the Catamount trails in that area. The resort rents snowshoes as well. The AT would be accessible from the same vacinity if you wanted to head up to Stratton Pond, which is a pretty easy shoe from the parking area, and would be awfully scenic. Check out live music on the weekends at the Snowbarn (on Mount Snow Property), which has some good taps. Also sample some delicious beer at the Maple Leaf in Wilmington (10 minutes south of West Dover on 100), they have some excellent food as well. If you're looking for some attractions; head to Bennington (30 miles West) and check out the battle memorial (looks alot like the washington monument), Robert Frost's grave, or Hemmings motor museum.

I lived there for two years; so honestly if you're not snowboarding, skiing (downhill or otherwise), or drinking heavily, there' not much else to do.:D

DuctTape
12-01-2008, 20:00
Don't forget The Inn at The Long Trail! Superb Irish Pub/restaurant/lodge, live music on weekends - sits right on the junction of the AT and Long Trail east of Rutland on route 4. Duh.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2008, 20:03
Don't forget The Inn at The Long Trail! Superb Irish Pub/restaurant/lodge, live music on weekends - sits right on the junction of the AT and Long Trail east of Rutland on route 4. Duh.

he's trying to save $$. that ain't the place to do it

Cookerhiker
12-01-2008, 20:15
I returned recently from a week in Vermont but did little in the way of outdoor stuff except for one day-hike outside Middlebury. Truth is, I was househunting (another story, another time). Anyway, I second the recommendation re the Long Trail Inn where you can savor their Guiness Stew while quaffing Long Trail Ale.

There's a fair amount of entertainment venues especially on weekends. During my visit, I attended 3 dramas: one about native American traditions in Brattleboro, a Shakesphere play in Middlebury at the college, and a performance of Our Town also in Middlebury by the local players. In attending these performances, I passed up live music in Brandon at the Ball & Chain and a concert by the Middlebury College Choir.

And don't forget to do the Ben & Jerry's tour. It's quite interesting and of course, free samples! But the secret, known only to Western Vermonters and Eastern Upstate New Yorkers, is that Stewart's ice cream which is available hand-dipped in all their convenience stores, is better.

DuctTape
12-01-2008, 20:20
factory outlet shopping in manchester center

...but a man's gotta eat and drink after an exhausting day of shopping!

Seriously. A "famous restaurant" steeped in trailesque Vermontness - a pint of brew and stew ain't gonna break the budget, unless you glue your butt to a stool.

rickb
12-01-2008, 20:45
Southern VT. You are not very far from Williamstown, MA home of the Clark Art Institute:

http://www.clarkart.edu/

World class and free this time of year. Good artsy movie theater in town, too.

If you go a few miles into North Adams there is a Park Center that features the history of how they built a railroad tunnel through the nearby mountains. It was an engineering marvel in its day, and still interesting even if you are not an FRN. Free or close to it. www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/wghp.htm

thejackal
12-01-2008, 21:02
brattleboro is about the same distance from west dover as bennington and is much cooler. i love vermont and i love drinking beer in vermont. i don't want to plug one specific establishment but brattleboro has two brewpubs and a few other bars with vt beers on tap. lots of delicious stuff to choose from. if you want to buy beers to bring back to dover, the coop in brattleboro has an excellent selection. also, you could combine a trip to brattleboro with a short (1.5 hour) hike up and down wantastiquet mountain. very close to downtown (actually in nh).

i wish i knew more about hiking in the area but i don't. this is about all i can offer.

vonfrick
12-01-2008, 21:22
brattleboro is about the same distance from west dover as bennington and is much cooler. i love vermont and i love drinking beer in vermont. i don't want to plug one specific establishment but brattleboro has two brewpubs and a few other bars with vt beers on tap. lots of delicious stuff to choose from. if you want to buy beers to bring back to dover, the coop in brattleboro has an excellent selection. also, you could combine a trip to brattleboro with a short (1.5 hour) hike up and down wantastiquet mountain. very close to downtown (actually in nh).

i wish i knew more about hiking in the area but i don't. this is about all i can offer.

the beer at mcneills in bboro is decent

Cookerhiker
12-01-2008, 22:25
...the coop in brattleboro has an excellent selection....

That coop was outstanding - not just beer but wine, good coffee, fresh produce...lots of good stuff. I liked what I saw of Brattleboro.

emerald
12-01-2008, 22:52
The AT would be accessible from the same vacinity if you wanted to head up to Stratton Pond, which is a pretty easy shoe from the parking area, and would be awfully scenic.

Isn't The Kelly Stand Road closed beyond the left to Grout Pond in winter?

Bare Bear
12-01-2008, 23:44
AAA tour guide books. I second Manchester Center, the outfitter was excellent.

Joe8484
12-02-2008, 00:16
By the time I finish all this new beer and sober up it will be time to leave Springer :eek:. The Long Trail Ale was my beer of choice last year. :jump

thanks everyone for all these great ideas.

Monkeywrench
12-02-2008, 08:33
Isn't The Kelly Stand Road closed beyond the left to Grout Pond in winter?

No. Kelly Stand Rd is plowed to the AT crossing. From here if you want to hike into Stratton Pond via the Stratton Pond Trail, you would have to walk about a mile west along the road to the trail head. Since the road is used by snowmobiles it gets packed down and is an easy walk.

Jeff
12-02-2008, 09:45
affreeman, do you mean Kelly Stand Rd is plowed from the east to the AT???

I am pretty sure it is not plowed from Arlington to the AT !!!!

Quoddy
12-02-2008, 09:54
So far you are in luck (?) as far as snow goes. There is some, but not enough to require snowshoes in most areas. I see that most of the usual spots in Bennington have been mentioned, but I wanted to give you the name of an excellent restaurant and adjacent sports (memorabilia) pub, Kevin's Restaurant at Mike's Place in North Bennington (Main Street=Rt 67). The favorite of most area folks. Small, friendly place with excellent food, reasonable prices, and a good drink selection. If you happen to drive near Weston (30 minutes north of West Dover on Rt 100), stop at The Vermont Country Store... an interesting place to browse.

Yukon
12-02-2008, 09:56

They plow it from the east of the parking lot, heading towards the town of Stratton. The trailhead is accessible year round.

Yukon
12-02-2008, 09:59
So far you are in luck (?) as far as snow goes. There is some, but not enough to require snowshoes in most areas. I see that most of the usual spots in Bennington have been mentioned, but I wanted to give you the name of an excellent restaurant and adjacent sports (memorabilia) pub, Kevin's Restaurant at Mike's Place in North Bennington (Main Street=Rt 67). The favorite of most area folks. Small, friendly place with excellent food, reasonable prices, and a good drink selection. If you happen to drive near Weston (30 minutes north of West Dover on Rt 100), stop at The Vermont Country Store... an interesting place to browse.

You couldn't be more right John, Kevin's at Mike's place is Jackie and I's FAVORITE place to eat, we are there for dinner at least once a week. The food is great, the service is great, and the prices are great. And they have my favorite beer (Long Trail Ale) on tap :)

Monkeywrench
12-03-2008, 08:41

Yes, from the West Wardsboro side, which is to the east from the AT.