PDA

View Full Version : Ridgerest vs Z-Lite

88BlueGT
12-01-2008, 03:06
I'm looking to buy a new pad system to shed some weight; right now I have a BA Insulated Air Core... I love it to death but I cant justify carrying it in the summer when its really not needed. I was considering the Z Lite, Gossamer Gear NightLight, and the ridgerest. The Gossamer gear just didnt seam as comfortable as either the thermarest pads. Any truth to this?

I did some research for reviews and such on both the thermarest pads. Basically, I found alot of people tended to complain that the ridgerest was not that comfortable due to the thickness I'm guessing? The Z-Lite is 2oz's more but if its a big difference in comfortable, I'll sacrafice (especially since I'm comming from a air matress :/

Another issue that I'm concerned about is the pack size of both pads... does anyone have any complaints on either of these pads? Once again, bad news about the ridgerest, I have heard a few times that it can get in the way. I use a Packa (thepacka.com) for my rainjacket so it can make strapping pads on the back pretty difficult.

Any advice or comments on either pads would be great. Also, please feel free to recommend something else :) Thanks guys!

Dan

Marta
12-01-2008, 07:50
IMO neither CCF pad comes anywhere close to an inflatable for comfort. The Z is possibly a shade less uncomfortable than the Ridgerest. The Z is definitely easier for me to pack, and is the one I use when I need to go so light that I don't bring an inflatable. The Z flattens out with time, and will need replacement. That said...I have never discarded any of mine, but continue to use them as auxiliary pads, situpons, and whatnot.

bigcranky
12-01-2008, 11:00
I think a lot of the perceived comfort (or lack thereof) for the Z-Rest is due to the weight of the user. The Z-Rest (or Z-Lite) is a very thin pad that is molded into an egg-crate shape. At 200+ lbs, my weight crushes the pad flat, so all I have is that very thin pad under me. My wife and daughter have used the Z, and found it comfortable, as it retains its egg-crate shape.

The Ridgerest pad is thicker, warmer, and doesn't lose its cushioning as quickly. But it doesn't pack as small as the Z-Rest pad.

Neither of them is as comfortable as an inflatable. I just suck it up and carry a full-length Prolite 4.

yappy
12-01-2008, 11:08
i like my ridge rest.. or maybe just used to it. But, i can't sleep on an inflatable anymore.

Lyle
12-01-2008, 11:47
I use the torso length Night Light from Gossamer Gear. It is thicker than either the RidgeRest or Z-Lite (I have them both), thus it is more comfortable for padding. I find that in the summer, the torso length is plenty and LIGHT! It also comes in a 3/4 length.

The torso length folds like the Z-Lite, but only into three sections - works great for a frame sheet in my P2. Would probably be great in others as well. Fewer folds makes packing much easier than trying to use the Z-rest in my experience.

Ridge Rest and Z-Lite both tend to flatten with heavy use, I've not experienced this with the Night Light.

One tip, The Night Light has one side smooth, the other side is egg crate, some folks find it more comfortable smooth side up, others like it egg crate up - try it both ways.

None of these options will touch the Air Core for comfort at night, but will add comfort all day. :D

KG4FAM
12-01-2008, 12:01
you are going to use this in the summer so a higher R value is practically irrelevant. those ridgerest and z lites are pretty much just as hard as sleeping on the ground so just go get a 1/8th inch thick pad and be done with it. get used to sleeping on the ground like the rest of the woodland critters. the ones that gossamer gear sells weigh 2 ounces. that is a 13 ounce savings over a z lite. 12 ounces saved over a ridgerest.

yappy
12-01-2008, 12:07
I am gonna look into to that Kg.. thanks.

yappy
12-01-2008, 12:25
just looked, they are having a good sale right now if anyone is interested.

Lyle
12-01-2008, 12:31
you are going to use this in the summer so a higher R value is practically irrelevant. those ridgerest and z lites are pretty much just as hard as sleeping on the ground so just go get a 1/8th inch thick pad and be done with it. get used to sleeping on the ground like the rest of the woodland critters. the ones that gossamer gear sells weigh 2 ounces. that is a 13 ounce savings over a z lite. 12 ounces saved over a ridgerest.

I'll stick with the Night Light, only 4 oz and increased comfort. Especially if you plan on any shelter sleeping, it will make a big difference - not so much on the duff. And if you are used to an Air Core...

Decisions, Decisions!!!! It's just hiking isn't it? :D

Tinker
12-01-2008, 20:04
I have a BA air core mummy (non-insulated) that I use in the summer when hiking with another person (unless they have a hammock also). It's lighter than the insulated version and much cooler than a Thermarest, Z-rest, closed cell 3/8", or Ridgerest pad. The R value is very high in all of those, and the comfort value is very low (excepting the T- rest). I hiked the Ga. section in 2006 using a ccf 3/8" pad. I picked up the Ridgerest pad after it was discarded. Both together weren't enough to soften up a shelter floor (yes, I stayed in a shelter one night). In my tent on hard ground they weren't much better.

johnarthur39
12-01-2008, 20:28
I vote for the Ridgerest, particularly the deluxe models which I use. I have both the large and regular additions. I particularly like the extra roll around room of the large model but will use the regular version when space and weight are at a premium. I have tried the z light but didn't care for it as it didn't have the cushioning of the Ridgerest deluxes. They are light, insulated well, relatively comfortuable, and are very durable.