PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola Falls Approach Trail?

lgr1978
12-01-2008, 10:41
What are the benifits to starting the trail at the approach trail verses Springer?

Lone Wolf
12-01-2008, 10:47
a buffet meal at the lodge. blisters and sore muscles

bigcranky
12-01-2008, 10:53
You get to start at the Arch at the visitor's center. A very pretty trail and a good climb to the top. A feeling of accomplishment when you see the first white blaze. Another day on the trail (rather than at work...)

You can start wherever you want. I liked the Approach Trail, and there's no real downside to hiking it.

scope
12-01-2008, 12:02
IMO, take a picture at the Arch, then drive to the top of the falls and 'put in' there. That first half mile after the Arch is all switchbacks and the next half mile is all uphill on gravel. The next 7 miles of approach trail (above the falls) is normal hiking, though it is an extended uphill with ups and downs along the way.

Unless you've got plenty of hiking under your belt, then I think that first mile makes the next 7 worse than it actually is.

Serial 07
12-01-2008, 12:04
another day on the trail!

Lyle
12-01-2008, 12:08
Get to sign in at the Visitor Center, then start hiking. Just seems the "right" way to do it, for me anyway. :D

Don't be scared off by the horror stories, it's no worse than any of the other "tough" sections, and it's not all that tough.

Even the steps are very doable as long as you don't think you have to do them all non-stop. Take some photos, talk to some of the other folks resting at the benches, you'll be at the top of the steps in no time. When I got there, I was AMAZED at how tiny the stream was that fed the falls. Never would have guessed that looking at the beauty of the cascade. Enjoy the Approach - it's part of the experience.

Just my opinion, it's worth what you paid for it.

wahoo
12-01-2008, 12:26
It's not as hard as some make it out to be. The arch is a great photo op and makes a great memory.
I agree with Lyle, it just seems "right".

ChinMusic
12-01-2008, 13:00
IMO, take a picture at the Arch, then drive to the top of the falls and 'put in' there. That first half mile after the Arch is all switchbacks and the next half mile is all uphill on gravel.
You can still go that way but they have re-routed the trail up the stairs.

dan8794
12-01-2008, 13:02
I say do the Approach...just seems to be a part of the trail.

Also, it doesn't seem natural to start 0.9 PAST Springer and reroute. Seems like it's a better experience to start at the actual first white blaze.

But, HYOH of course!

ChinMusic
12-01-2008, 13:25
The more I think about it, the idea of taking a pic at the arch and driving to the top, just doesn't seem right to me. For me personally it would be akin to skipping a section of the trail itself. If I decide to hike the Approach Trail, I'm going to hike the Approach Trail.....unless I'm getting a late start and plan a night at the Len Foote Hike Inn.....heheh

That's just my take for myself only. HYOH.

weary
12-01-2008, 13:48
What are the benifits to starting the trail at the approach trail verses Springer?
Well, I'm into climbing mountains, and the approach trail goes up a mountain -- actually a couple of mountains if I remember rightly.

SweetAss03
12-01-2008, 14:03
I would do the approach trail again. The pionts made above are good, the arch is a good photo op and really the arch makes a great place to start. The eight miles ahead will give you a pretty good idea of what the next month has in store for you. However after about the first week the trail will "get" easier as you fall into trail mode. The eight miles will also give you a time to enjoy what you are about to do. It is not an easy 8 miles but it isn't that bad.
Do what you what to do, however you don't want to get done and think back to yourself "Maybe I should have done the approach."

buff_jeff
12-01-2008, 14:17
It's only 8 miles. If you're going to commit to hiking the whole thing, the Approach is a pretty marginal commitment. Like someone else said, it would suck to hike the whole thing and regret not seeing the Arch or the rest of the Approach Trail. It's honestly not bad at all, and it gives you a solid indication of where you stand as far as hiking shape goes. Between the Visitor's Center, Arch, Falls, and some of the views it's definitely worth it.

It makes it even more exciting to get to the first white blaze, too.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2008, 14:20
theres hundreds of other side trails on the AT. might as well do those too. the approach trail is one of the more bland ones though

SweetAss03
12-01-2008, 14:24
I meant to add that in there as well Lone Wolf, the trail is rather bland, don't expect great things while hiking it.

The Solemates
12-01-2008, 14:42
the benefit for us not doing the approach was that family and friends came to the summit to see us off. of course, they could have sent us off from the arch, but it was nice to have them on the summit for a celebration. we had alread done the approach trail anyways, so it didnt really matter to us to do it again. the night before we stayed at the lodge, visited the falls, and had the breakfast buffet so we wouldnt miss that part of it :)

Hikerhead
12-01-2008, 14:48
If I was to do the approach trail again I would do the spur trail to The Hike Inn. Better trail, crosses 2 or more streams, visit The Hike Inn (if it's open). The trail then continues northward and comes back to the approach trail on top of Frosty Mtn.

Tilly
12-01-2008, 15:36
There's also 700 miles of IAT after Katahdin.

Blissful
12-01-2008, 16:06
I was not going to do the Approach trail but glad I did. We met two great hikers that day at the arch and at the falls. They helped us tremendously and became friends the first week of our hike. Great way to start a long distance hike.

ChinMusic
12-01-2008, 16:29
I stayed at the Len Foote Hike Inn last month for the first time. It is a great place. When I do get a chance to do a thru, I would strongly consider a late start from AFSP and spend the first night at the Hike Inn. Then do a shortish first REAL day to maybe Hawk Mt.

jesse
12-01-2008, 16:53
Start at the arch or start at Springer, your choice. To take a picture at the arch, then drive to the top, seems candy-ass to me.

Lone Wolf
12-01-2008, 16:54
it's a freakin' man-made arch on a blue-blaze. whats the big deal?

TrippinBTM
12-07-2008, 23:19
The big deal is that it's pretty. Looks good in a photo.

I did it. Glad I did. There were some good views on the way up, at a few points early on the approach, which was nice. I never saw the falls, though; I went up some way that didn't go near them. Looking back, I'm lucky I didn't end up getting lost completely. To this day I don't really know what trail I was on.

I will say this, to the person who said the 8 miles isn't a big commitment. For the first week on the at, a 7-9 mile day was a full day of hiking. Took me a while to get in shape. So, it was as much a challenge as the next few days on the AT itself was. After doing the whole AT I can look back and say it's nothing, but at the time, it really was.

KG4FAM
12-07-2008, 23:45
The big deal is that it's pretty. Looks good in a photoNot right now. They have port-a-pottys lined up all down the rock wall starting at the arch. If you took a picture right now you would be sharing it with a handicapped size one on your margin.

10 o'clock
12-08-2008, 00:07
I did the Approach and would do it again. It really isn't all that difficult and makes getting to the summit of Springer that much better. The steps were the hardest part of it.

mts4602
12-08-2008, 00:51
I don't see why this is such a big deal. It's 8 miles. It' s not part of the AT. Do it if you want to.

If I were thru hiking, personally, I guess I'd probably do it. It would be cool to hike up to the start of the AT. I would be hyped up for my thru hike and it would be fitting start to the adventure.

But this March I am going to be sectioning Georga during my spring break. I am definitly Not doing the approach trail: Why? I only have a limited number of days to complete Georga. I'm not going to hike 8 miles that isn't even apart of the AT.

By the way, this is nothing against you...it's just, there are 50 million threads on this topic and I feel like people just stress out about it too much.

Have fun out there.

MTS

buckwheat
12-08-2008, 09:07
I did the Approach and would do it again. It really isn't all that difficult and makes getting to the summit of Springer that much better. The steps were the hardest part of it.

How many steps are there?

papa john
12-08-2008, 09:26
http://www.takemytrip.com/06appalachian/06_01a.htm

425 steps. It is broken up into small chunks with rest areas every so often.

Lyle
12-08-2008, 09:34

Actually, isn't it 425 steps from the bridge? It was something like 200 steps from the Visitor Center to the bridge. I know it was very misleading on their signs, and was much more climbing than the original sign at the base indicated.

KG4FAM
12-08-2008, 09:35

Thats from the middle to the top. If you start at the bottom there is 175 more steps to get to the middle. So 600 total.

jersey joe
12-08-2008, 09:35
One benefit of hiking the approach trail is that you can weigh your pack at the Visitor Center.

KG4FAM
12-08-2008, 09:37
One benefit of hiking the approach trail is that you can weigh your pack at the Visitor Center.I can do that at my house.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2008, 09:38
One benefit of hiking the approach trail is that you can weigh your pack at the Visitor Center.

so?

jersey joe
12-08-2008, 09:47
so...you can see what your starting pack weight is and have a reference point at neels gap for how stupid you were just 30 miles ago.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2008, 09:49
so...you can see what your starting pack weight is and have a reference point at neels gap for how stupid you were just 30 miles ago.

then you get more stupid by spending a ton of money when you get there

papa john
12-08-2008, 09:52
Actually, isn't it 425 steps from the bridge? It was something like 200 steps from the Visitor Center to the bridge. I know it was very misleading on their signs, and was much more climbing than the original sign at the base indicated.

Yes, you are right. A total of 600 steps. I think it took me about 45 minutes to haul my carcass up to the top. There is a side trail you can take that is less strenuous and brings you out at the top of the falls parking lot.

jersey joe
12-08-2008, 09:53
then you get more stupid by spending a ton of money when you get there
True, I did a bunch of people spending a ton of money there. I spent money on postage to send 8lbs of crap home.

TrippinBTM
12-08-2008, 09:56
I didn't spend any money, and I was there for an entire afternoon and night.

briarpatch
12-08-2008, 15:32
Thats the section I maintain - Visitors Center to the top of the falls. Not a lot of water bars to worry with, but I do have to keep an eye out for termites in the steps :)

Rainman
12-08-2008, 16:53
I hiked the approach when I sectioned the southern end of the trail. It's part of the whole experience for me. Plus, you go hiking to hike, not get rides further up the trail. If you don't want to walk, then why walk at all.

Dances with Mice
12-08-2008, 18:27
Thats the section I maintain - Visitors Center to the top of the falls. Not a lot of water bars to worry with, but I do have to keep an eye out for termites in the steps :)How often is it blazed?

traildust
12-08-2008, 18:32
What benefits one does not benefit another. HYOH!

Pootz
12-08-2008, 18:37
Why not hike the approach trail. I skipped it during my thru hike and wonder what I had missed. When I had a chance to go back and hike it I meet some really nice people. What is another 7 miles when you plan to hike 2175.

Lone Wolf will give me crap for this but it also gives you bragging rights over those that skip it. Enjoy your hike!!!

Lone Wolf
12-08-2008, 18:42
Lone Wolf will give me crap for this but it also gives you bragging rights over those that skip it.

no i won't. i could care less. braggin' rights? nah. it's just one of hundreds of side trails off the AT

Marta
12-08-2008, 20:21
One reason FOR hiking the Approach Trail is just that it can become part of your commitment to your Hike. Maybe you don't think you'll have any problem completing your mission, but I did a bunch of things to make it harder for myself to quit. Had I been going NOBO, I would have signed the book at the Visitor's Center, weighed my pack, and hiked the Approach Trail.

There are a lot of ritualistic aspects to a thru-hike. For me, that would be one of them.

KG4FAM
12-08-2008, 20:32
Lone Wolf will give me crap for this but it also gives you bragging rights over those that skip it.And while you are being all high and mighty other people are thinking in their heads: "Man this guy is a dick"

The AT is not a competition. No records are kept. If you are obsessed with being better others go find a sport where they keep records. No one gives a **** if you hiked the aproach trail.

Sly
12-08-2008, 20:43
I'm doing the Approach Trail in sections. I've done from the Lodge to Springer. Next up, the Arch to the Lodge. :dance

Blissful
12-08-2008, 20:53
The AT is not a competition. No records are kept. .

But there are some that still try to beat records - ie the fastest pace, etc. Jen Pharr had one this year for the fastest woman in honor of Meredith Emerson. The Speedgoat was trying for one as well and the thread on him was one of the more popular ones on WB.
So there are competitions, so to speak.

But as for braggin rights - "I" did the Approach Trail. :D Yeahaw.
(And it was tough for us that day, BTW... Still glad we did it. Part of the AT experience for us.)

Pootz
12-08-2008, 21:01
And while you are being all high and mighty other people are thinking in their heads: "Man this guy is a dick"

The AT is not a competition. No records are kept. If you are obsessed with being better others go find a sport where they keep records. No one gives a **** if you hiked the aproach trail.

WOW !!! You need to step away from the computer and take a walk.
Come back when you get a better attitude. This is supposed to be fun.

briarpatch
12-08-2008, 21:50
How often is it blazed?

It hasn't been re-blazed in a while. We may blaze it during the Appalachain Trail Festival in the early spring, we are going to try to organize some maintenance in the park during the festival this year.

BTW, we missed you at the GATC Holiday Luncheon last weekend.

Kirby
12-09-2008, 21:24
I did it. Made Springer feel legit, tough to do with a seemingly random mountain in the protected forests of North GA.

Kirby

Johnny Thunder
12-10-2008, 00:49
I hiked it last year for no other reason than to make my ride's trip home easier. Walked right past the arch and the scale. I did meet an interesting hiker at the Amphitheater who provided campfire stories for my group of hikers in the South. So, I guess I'm glad I gained a reference point for all the tales. Otherwise, the only true benefit I noticed was that once I passed over Springer I realized how busted the proper AT is compared to the last 2 or 3 miles of the Approach.

robmurphy
12-10-2008, 02:58
I hiked from the arch and visitors center to about half the way to Springer and back in October. Yes, the metal steps at the falls are crowded, but after that the trail clears up greatly. To each their own decision, but this one approach trail seems to be an integral part of the AT experience. Going north you don't notice it, but if you pay attention you'll see a sign when you leave or enter Amicolola State Park.

http://http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/robmurphy1969/CIMG0423.jpg

robmurphy
12-10-2008, 02:59
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/robmurphy1969/CIMG0423.jpg

TrippinBTM
12-11-2008, 20:57
Why does the AT have to start on a mountain top, anyways? It makes more sense to make it start from a place like Amicalola Falls NP; that is, a place with access. I can understand making Katahdin an endpoint, because it's a spectacular mountain. Springer isn't. They may as well have picked a random mountain.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2008, 21:04
Katahdin an endpoint, because it's a spectacular mountain. Springer isn't. They may as well have picked a random mountain.

that's your opinion. katahdin is overrated. it shouldn't begin/end in a heavily regulated state park. this is my opinion

Dances with Mice
12-11-2008, 21:37
Why does the AT have to start on a mountain top, anyways? It makes more sense to make it start from a place like Amicalola Falls NP; that is, a place with access. I can understand making Katahdin an endpoint, because it's a spectacular mountain. Springer isn't. They may as well have picked a random mountain.The AT didn't always end/start on Springer. Once upon a time the southern terminus was Oglethorpe Mtn, near the end/start of the geologic Blue Ridge. Unfortunately Mt. O wasn't on protected land and development encroached. Another terminus had to be found.

Amicalola was considered but it's a State Park (it ain't a NP, Tripp) and the state of GA couldn't be trusted back then to protect wilderness areas. That concern was verified later when the Govenor, both Senators and every Congressman at the time supported the extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way down the BR into GA destroying the AT through 4 states, including the entire Smokey Mtn National Park trail, along the way.

Springer was chosen for 2 reasons - it was located well within a national forest and thus protected as much as possible. And there's another, geologic reason. The last reason I'll leave as an exercise for the student but here are two hints:

(1) Go to Google maps, search for Springer Mtn GA and switch to the Terrain view. There is something unique about Springer that can be deduced by a careful observer of the terrain in that area.

(2) It's the reason both the AT and the BMT happen to converge on the same mountain.

TrippinBTM
12-11-2008, 21:42
ah, sorry, I meant to say SP.

gonna go look at google earth...

Bulldawg
12-11-2008, 21:43
Springer is the southern end in the Appalachians where the Cohutta Range and Blue Ridge Range meet on the long loaf shaped Springer Mountain. The Cohuttas extend north and northwesterly (with the BMT of course) and The Blue Ridge extends northeasterly (the AT on this ridge).

Right DMW?

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:46
a buffet meal at the lodge. blisters and sore muscles
Starting anyplace else will only get you blisters:rolleyes:.
I did the approach on my Ga. section hike. If I do a thru, I won't do it again.

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:51
that's your opinion. katahdin is overrated. it shouldn't begin/end in a heavily regulated state park. this is my opinion

Katahdin is a hard, rocky climb with nice views. Some days in September (or October, I guess) you'll be in such a hurry to descend because of the cold and wind you won't notice the views. My summit day was pretty close to perfect.
The regulations in Baxter didn't bother me (of course, I hadn't hiked 2,000 miles previously, largely without external rules intruding into my carefree life. I just did the hundred mile hike and climbed the mountain. It wasn't a quest for me, just a nice vacation.

kayak karl
12-11-2008, 21:57
i go to the Hiker Hostel, they take me to the approach trail, i hike up. nobody said there was another way:-? Oh well, i got the time:). i hike to work, whats the big deal :confused:

weary
12-11-2008, 22:23
For north bounders, the trail ends on one of the great mountains of the east in a spectacular 200,000 acre preserve that was assembled and purchased over nearly 50 years by a single perspn. Katahdin and the surrounding mountains, woods, lakes and ponds was the life work of a great man.

What better ending for a 2175 mile walk over a trail that exists through the efforts of many thousands of volunteers, than a park contributed by a man who dedicated his life and fortune to its creation?

Weary

emerald
12-11-2008, 22:42
katahdin is overrated. it shouldn't begin/end in a heavily regulated state park.

That's precisely the kind of place where the A.T. should end and I can't imagine a more appropriate location.

papa john
12-11-2008, 23:23
i go to the Hiker Hostel, they take me to the approach trail, i hike up. nobody said there was another way:-? Oh well, i got the time:). i hike to work, whats the big deal :confused:

Register at the Visitor's Center and then get Josh to run you to the top of the falls parking lot. Save you a lot of needless stair climbing!

weary
12-11-2008, 23:41
Register at the Visitor's Center and then get Josh to run you to the top of the falls parking lot. Save you a lot of needless stair climbing!
I walk the stairs everytime I visit Amicalola State Park. They provide glimpses of cascading water, streamside plants and flowers .... All and all a very delightful half hour.

papa john
12-11-2008, 23:44
I walk the stairs everytime I visit Amicalola State Park. They provide glimpses of cascading water, streamside plants and flowers .... All and all a very delightful half hour.

So I hear. The last time I walked them all I saw were my shoes!

corialice81
12-11-2008, 23:44
You know what's strange is that I took a gravel/dirt path when I did the approach trail this past april...incidentally, I missed the stairs. So, I guess I blue blazed a blue blaze!

papa john
12-11-2008, 23:48
You know what's strange is that I took a gravel/dirt path when I did the approach trail this past april...incidentally, I missed the stairs. So, I guess I blue blazed a blue blaze!

You probably walked the East Ridge Trail to the parking lot at the top of the falls. I think that is the old Approach Trail.

EAST RIDGE TRAIL (OLD APPALACHIAN APPROACH TRAIL)
1 mile. Rated moderate to strenuous. Not blazed. Leads from Visitor Center to the top of the falls.

corialice81
12-11-2008, 23:50
You probably walked the East Ridge Trail to the parking lot at the top of the falls. I think that is the old Approach Trail.

EAST RIDGE TRAIL (OLD APPALACHIAN APPROACH TRAIL)
1 mile. Rated moderate to strenuous. Not blazed. Leads from Visitor Center to the top of the falls.

Yeah, sounds about right. I passed right by a bathroom and parking lot.

papa john
12-12-2008, 00:04
Yep, if you had taken that sidewalk to the right of the bathroom, that would have taken you over to the top of the falls. Next time, maybe.

corialice81
12-12-2008, 00:06
Yep, if you had taken that sidewalk to the right of the bathroom, that would have taken you over to the top of the falls. Next time, maybe.

Yes, there will be a next time and I will gladly take the stairs (not for bragging rights but for the experience).

TrippinBTM
12-12-2008, 11:08

Ah, I did the same thing... the old approach trail, eh? Cool.

As someone said, I wouldn't do the approach again if I rehiked the AT. But then, I'd blue blaze all I wanted, too; for example, I'd skip the 3 ridges in VA and do the blue blaze around it, to see all the waterfalls. I'd probably do the BMT, too, instead of the AT itself down in the smokies and such. And I'd probably walk the Skyline Drive in the Shennies, for the views.

SawnieRobertson
12-12-2008, 11:34

I too. I walked on up to the Lodge, then back down to the cabin my family and I were enjoying. Great place to exert oneself. Loved it.--Kinnickinic