PDA

View Full Version : Compliments to PA reroute above Palmerton

cburnett
12-01-2008, 12:35
Hello,

I ran Little Gap, PA- AT south- to Blue blaze into Palmerton, PA this past Saturday. I really appreciated the reroute (others I saw who were out for weekend complimented the changes as well). If the reroute is temporary below the Superfund site, my recommendation is keep it. I found the current ~3 miles of reroute much more enjoyable tread and view than I remember the route across the top.

Major compliments to the trail maintainers and trail visionaries.

Thanks
Casey Burnett

AT 2004

jhick
12-01-2008, 12:42
One of my favs places in PA... I haven't been there in a little while, I gotta check that out.

Sly
12-01-2008, 13:11
There's a blue blaze into Palmerton? Actually into the town? Does the AT still come out where it did years ago between Palmerton and Slatington?

rafe
12-01-2008, 14:05
I met a young lady while hiking sobo on the ridge above Palmerton. I continued south along the AT, got to the bottom and started walking along a side trail towards Palmerton that ran parallel to the road. I'd gone about 1/4 mile on that trail when I ran into the same young lady again (trail name Mordecai) walking the other way. She knew about the blue-blaze and the crazy-a$$ed AT scramble off the ridge, and chose the former.

I had a pleasant stay in Palmerton, and one of the easiest hitches ever, into town. Lehigh Gap was the end of my 2006 section hike and the start of my 2007 section. Funny how these things go.

darkage
12-02-2008, 12:16
One of my favs places in PA... I haven't been there in a little while, I gotta check that out.

Same here

lonehiker
12-02-2008, 13:00
I enjoyed the "scramble" up the ridge to the top. Reminded me, ever so slightly, of hiking out west. I hiked along the top in fog. It was surrealistic what with the damaged landscape and the fog.

Very easy hitch into Palmerton. Had a ride within 5 minutes.