PDA

View Full Version : quick question about aluminum cookware

mudtoy1986
12-01-2008, 22:18
well as in an earlier thread i put up im hiking the AT in 2010 and i have an old aluminum pot with a cover from an old military pack stove (not taking the stove to heavy) and it comes in a little aluminum pot with a twist on cover
i know for yrs they used to make back packing and camping cookware out of aluminum is it safe to cook with or should i go with titanium or stainless is aluminum safe to cook with ?

Skidsteer
12-01-2008, 22:27
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99

The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present (Massey and Taylor 1989).

weary
12-01-2008, 23:09
well as in an earlier thread i put up im hiking the AT in 2010 and i have an old aluminum pot with a cover from an old military pack stove (not taking the stove to heavy) and it comes in a little aluminum pot with a twist on cover
i know for yrs they used to make back packing and camping cookware out of aluminum is it safe to cook with or should i go with titanium or stainless is aluminum safe to cook with ?
I only cook out of aluminum pots while backpacking. Whether the use of such pots day after day for a lifetime is harmful is an unanswered question. The fact that it is unanswered after decades of discussion and research suggests to me the danger, if any, is very slight and a meal or two a day for six months will be harmless.

All my trail pots are aluminum and will remain aluminum, pending far greater evidence than any produced to date.

Weary

JAK
12-01-2008, 23:20
I dropped Bisphenol A containing plastics a few years ago, and would definitely avoid aluminum containing antacids unless I really needed them, but aluminum pots don't scare me in the slightest.

Aluminum beer can pots do have a thin coating of Bisphenol A containing epoxy.
It's pretty thin, but its there. They do that to cans for taste reasons, not safety reasons.
I don't know if you can burn it off, or if that might be worse.

4eyedbuzzard
12-01-2008, 23:40
Aluminum is the third most common element in the earth's crust and it isn't water soluable, and it's very lightweight. It's quite simply the ideal backpacking pot material, though I'm sure the manufacturers making $40+ Titanium pots would tell you differently...

Seriously, you ingest far more Aluminum in food colorings, medications, etc than you'll ever get from water in an aluminum container. Just don't cook highly acidic foods(such as tomatoes, citrus, etc) in Aluminum as it may leach into the sauce/food due to the acid/metal reaction. Of greater concern regarding Alzheimers would be the long term ingesting of aluminum compounds such as antiacids, food coloring, and possible skin absorbtion from anti-perspirants. The jury is still definitely out on these.

Some people are allergic and or hypersensitive to Aluminum, but it's pretty rare.

Bare Bear
12-01-2008, 23:55
$$$ Titanium is lighter and stronger. I found a nice set with two pots and two lids. The 2 cup pot is used to make my drink, then the big pot for the meal, then I make a second drink with what ever alcohol flame is left. Throw away the little lid and stack the two while cooking, saves fuel by using otherwise wasted heat.

mudtoy1986
12-02-2008, 07:50
well thanks guys for all the info i apriciate it