PDA

View Full Version : In search of partner

alilee12
12-02-2008, 03:03
Hey I am a 24 yr old female who will be thru-hiking this spring ( starting March 14th-ish) My friend is starting with me but will be leaving after one week. I am not super-psyched about the idea of hiking alone for safety reasons as well as sanity. I am hoping to average 12-15 miles a day but know in the first week or two it will be more like 8-10 and I will probably do 15-20 once the trail begins to level. Anyone interested? Let me know.

Serial 07
12-02-2008, 03:19
i'll be out there, prolly around march 15 (my birthday, holla!)...i'm sure you'll see me and many, many more like me (though they will only be kinda like me)...you'll meet plenty of folks...having a partner the first week will help you get over your fears and adjust to your new lifestyle/surrondings...after a couple of nights hangin' out, you'll get used to/more familiar with how things go...no reason to limit yourself to hiking with only one person...

Bare Bear
12-03-2008, 00:22
You will find hundreds of hikers your age out there in March-April. Within a few weeks you will have settled in with a hiking 'family' if you want to and will continue until you do not wish to. Perhaps to K? Enjoy the hike.

Mags
12-03-2008, 15:22
As others said, there will be PLENTY of people at a similar pace for mileage. You will not be alone on the AT unless you work at it.

IT is very difficult to find a partner before a trip, esp if you have not hiked together before.

Better to start, find some cool people to hike with and form some loose partnerships.

If you find your partner wants to go into town, but you'd rather keep on hiking..no worries. You'll find someone else to hike with.

Or perhaps you'll find you enjoy hiking solo after all. :sun

jersey joe
12-03-2008, 18:03
There are so many people starting out in GA in March and April. One thing that surprised me when I started my thru hike was how many women were out there hiking, and how many started out alone.

Bare Bear
12-03-2008, 20:58
April 1 leaving Neel's Gap I counted over 150 people before I got to camp that evening!

catfishrivers
12-03-2008, 21:42
April 1 leaving Neel's Gap I counted over 150 people before I got to camp that evening!

How long till it thins out with numbers like that starting on the same day? It's kinda insane...