PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather clothing NOBO starting mid Feb.

ATX-Hiker
12-02-2008, 10:26
I'm looking into clothing for my early start NOBO trip coming up in a few months. I plan on leaving February 14-25, and I'm trying to decide how much clothing I'll need to stay warm. I already have a thin wicking base layer. I was thinking in addition to that.

mid weight long underwear top and bottom
fleece, down or synthetic jacket?
rain pants and jacket
gloves
balaclava
and a beanie

does that sound like enough?

I'm also trying to decide on a new bag, is a zero rated bag necessary or can I get away with a 15 or 20 degree bag?

Thanks to everybody in advance.

KG4FAM
12-02-2008, 10:52
I'm also trying to decide on a new bag, is a zero rated bag necessary or can I get away with a 15 or 20 degree bag?As long as you get a good 800 fill down 15 deg bag you should be fine. If you buy a cheap one you will probably want the 0 deg.

stumpknocker
12-02-2008, 11:29
You may also want to think about the shell of the sleeping bag. I have used a Western Mountaineering 10 degree Versalite down bag a lot, but was never totally happy with it. It has a light weight shell and it just seems to suck any moisture out of the air....it always feels damp after a few days on the AT.

I got a new WM down bag last year with a Gore DriLoft shell. (At least I think that's what the shell was called) The moisture from the damp night air that you'll find on the AT just beaded up on the outside of it. The down stayed nice and lofty the whole time I used it.

It does weigh more with that Gore shell...maybe 5 ounces if I remember right, but I never had that damp feeling inside my bag and it never lost it's loft.

One other thing that I did was with gloves. I've tried lots and lots of gloves and found that my hands stay warmer in the cheap little $10.00 to $15.00 wool mitts with the thicker felt inside the flip open finger box than any other gloves I've used. I even have a pair of $130.00 Black Diamond -30 degree mitts that don't keep my hands as warm as those wool mitts. My hands were always the things I had the most trouble keeping warm on really cold days.

Hope that gives you a couple things to consider.

Have fun on your walk. :)

corialice81
12-02-2008, 11:31
[quote=ATX-Hiker;733206]
mid weight long underwear top and bottom
fleece, down or synthetic jacket?
rain pants and jacket
gloves
balaclava
and a beanie
quote]

I am planning on bringing these items as well as a top layer that had a hoodie . I enjoy how hoodies keep my neck warm in fierce wind. Just a personal preference.

As far as sleeping bags...I agree with KG4FAM, I have a down 15 bag and have had no problems with temperatures dropping in the teens.

Lyle
12-02-2008, 12:15
I'm looking into clothing for my early start NOBO trip coming up in a few months. I plan on leaving February 14-25, and I'm trying to decide how much clothing I'll need to stay warm. I already have a thin wicking base layer. I was thinking in addition to that.

mid weight long underwear top and bottom Good, this is in addition to the thin layer right? I would keep one set for camp/sleeping so that it remains good and dry.
fleece, down or synthetic jacket? I would bring at least one insulating layer that you can hike in. fleece or synthetic would be good as long as it isn't too heavy. Down would not be good to hike in. Maybe a mid-weight fleece and a down vest to supplement it in camp for the extra comfort.
rain pants and jacket I've decided to stick with Frogg Toggs after a lot of research. The good eVent shells are SOOOO expensive, and the lower priced shells do not breath as well as Frogg Toggs. I just decided if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
gloves I like a thin or med weight wool liner with a nylon overmitt. Very versatile and warm, even below 0*. This is from experience. Fact: Mittens are WAY warmer than gloves. Even just having the mitten shell doubles or triples the warmth of the gloves alone (my guess). Yet having gloves allows you to cook and do camp chores with some dexterity.
balaclava Good, get a warm one.
and a beanie I like a hat with a brim to keep rain/snow off my glasses. If you aren't a four-eye, then it's probably not as important, but cold rain on your face is still a pain.

does that sound like enough? As long as you have a good bag and a dependable shelter to assure it stays dry.

I'm also trying to decide on a new bag, is a zero rated bag necessary or can I get away with a 15 or 20 degree bag? I agree with what was posted above. A good quality(true to rating) 15* bag would suffice, a good 0* will add a margin for safety and turn some "tolerable" nights into "cozy" nights. Don't forget, if the sh@# hits the fan, this is your last line of defense in what could possibly be a survival situation.

Thanks to everybody in advance.

I'm planning a Feb hike starting at Fontana and heading north, so I've been thinking about this a lot lately too.

Slo-go'en
12-02-2008, 12:39
You don't need to wear much when your hiking, but these will get damp from sweat and chill you off when you stop for the day. So, you need dry stuff to change into as soon as you hit camp.

One of the hardest things to do when winter hiking is changing out of your nice warm and dry camp clothes into your damp hiking clothes in the morning, even if the hiking clothes were stored at the foot of the sleeping bag (in a stuff sack) overnight. But you have to do it, because if you get your camp clothes damp, your in real trouble. You just have to remember that you'll warm up quick enough once you get moving.

You should also have two sets of gloves. A light pair for hiking, with nylon over shells to keep them dry and wind proof and a heavier pair for camp.

Don't forget gatters - knee high ones. No doubt you'll be tramping through snow now and again and need to keep the snow out of your boots and the bottom of your legs dry.

I'd go with both a mid weight fleece jacket and a down jacket.

What to wear for pants is a dilemma. I find the "converta" pants common today are too cold. "Dickie" work pants are reasonably warm and wind proof, and are what I usually wear hiking in the winter. Even though they have a fair cotton content, they dry reasonably quickly. Another option is nylon shorts over long johns and gatters. Put the rain pants on if it gets windy.

It will likely take some experimentation to find what combination of clothes works best for you and it will change somewhat depending on conditions. Better to have too many clothes than not enough! If you can keep your head, hands and feet warm, thats most of the battle. Good luck out there!

The Solemates
12-02-2008, 12:44
You may also want to think about the shell of the sleeping bag. I have used a Western Mountaineering 10 degree Versalite down bag a lot, but was never totally happy with it. It has a light weight shell and it just seems to suck any moisture out of the air....it always feels damp after a few days on the AT.

I got a new WM down bag last year with a Gore DriLoft shell. (At least I think that's what the shell was called) The moisture from the damp night air that you'll find on the AT just beaded up on the outside of it. The down stayed nice and lofty the whole time I used it.

It does weigh more with that Gore shell...maybe 5 ounces if I remember right, but I never had that damp feeling inside my bag and it never lost it's loft.

One other thing that I did was with gloves. I've tried lots and lots of gloves and found that my hands stay warmer in the cheap little $10.00 to $15.00 wool mitts with the thicker felt inside the flip open finger box than any other gloves I've used. I even have a pair of $130.00 Black Diamond -30 degree mitts that don't keep my hands as warm as those wool mitts. My hands were always the things I had the most trouble keeping warm on really cold days.

Hope that gives you a couple things to consider.

Have fun on your walk. :)

has anyone bought the spray on stuff and coated your bag shell with it to see if that helps? My bag always gets damp at the foot in the winter. Granted, its usually from the inside out since I sleep with wet socks. but for the outside, does the spray on stuff work?

stumpknocker
12-02-2008, 16:18
has anyone bought the spray on stuff and coated your bag shell with it to see if that helps? My bag always gets damp at the foot in the winter. Granted, its usually from the inside out since I sleep with wet socks. but for the outside, does the spray on stuff work?

WM recommended Revivex (I think that was the name) and I tried it. Worked a little, but didn't seem to last long.

I could spill coffee on my new bag and it rolls right off. :)

b.c.
12-02-2008, 16:39
I am a winter hiker of northwestern PA, western NY.

I use WM 0 degree bag: Kodiak GWS.
NIKE AGS snow pants over duoflod long underwear.
Outdoor Research crocodile gaiters.
2 Under Armor Cold Gear shirts, one compression fit, one training fit.
The North Face Hero 3 in 1 jacket.
Gordini Summit II gloves.
Polartec beanie and neck scarf.
Outdoor Research gore-tex sombrero hat.
Montrail Torre boots over hiking socks and liners.

In my sleeping bag, I do something a little different, I wear fleece socks under neoprene camp boots. Heavy but worth it - for me.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-02-2008, 16:51
Better have a full change of base and mid layer in case you get soaked.
My most versatile winter clothing are a Patagonia midweight capeline zip T and a Patagonia R1 Flash pullover. I can regulate warmth pretty well because both have pretty deep neck zips. Never underestimate the warming qualities of a pair of dry socks carry plenty