PDA

View Full Version : NJ AT Hikes and Campsites

funkyfreddy
04-06-2004, 00:44
Hi, I'll probably be overnighting on the NJ AT next weekend for a day or 2 and am looking for some good hiking and camping suggestions. Anyone have any nice places they remember along the NJ AT? What was your favorite part of the NJ AT? Thanks, Fred

Blue Jay
04-06-2004, 07:56
Hi, I'll probably be overnighting on the NJ AT next weekend for a day or 2 and am looking for some good hiking and camping suggestions. Anyone have any nice places they remember along the NJ AT? What was your favorite part of the NJ AT? Thanks, Fred

My favorite part is from Highpoint State Park to the Secret Shelter. I also love the very start just north of the Water Gap, you walk a long way next to a beautiful waterfall.

Toolshed
04-06-2004, 10:00
Funky -
My favorite part is from the AMC Mohican Outdoor Center heading Northbound. The first 40 miles are mostly ridgline hiking and are lush with views in many directions at times. There's also more bear than people. you'd finish off at High Point State park (or a bit shorter hike brings you to US Route 206)

Steve W
04-06-2004, 11:34
For a 2 day trip you have several good options. As mentioned above, from Delaware Water Gap to highpoint is a nice ridgewalk. The only part that might have crowds would be at DWG. The whole stretch has plenty of good campsites, some with great views. For 2 days you could easily go from DWG to Rt 206 (Stokes State Forest), or from the Mohican outdoor center to highpoint. For something different, you could go from highpoint to Waywayanda State Park. This would take you through lots of farms, swamps, and lowlands. Unfortunately, at this time of year it would also mean lots of mud. From Brink Rd. shelter north, all of the shelters are spaced about 13 miles apart, an easy day's hike. If you need more detailed information let me know, I would be glad to help.
Steve

MOWGLI
04-06-2004, 11:54
Funky:

DWG is a nice hike. It's 43 miles (or so) between DWG and High Point. It'd be a pretty good haul over 2 days. I did it in 1.5 days during my thru-hike, but if I was section hiking it, I'd do it over 3-4 days.

I like the area around the NJ/NY State line. You could start at Route 94 where there is a good - safe parking lot. The first 1.5 miles is the toughest climb in NJ. It's short and sweet though. Then you pass through fairly nice terrain including some big Hemlocks. Take a good look. The Hemlocks won't be there in another 5 years with the Wooly Adalgid.

You could spend the night at the Wawayanda Shelter. If you get there early, you could walk some of the trails in Wawayanda State Park. It's a nice park, and a great place to see bears.

The next day the walk would take you on the ridges above Greenwood Lake. The geology along the Bearfort Ridge is really unique.
http://www.purdes.com/njhiking/bearfort/
The conglomerate rock is know as "puddingstone". If you look carefully, you can see striations in the rock from the last glacial episode.

Your hike would end at Route 17A. You would have the option of hiking another 2.5 miles to stay at the Wildcat Shelter (in New York State). You could walk back out in the morning and use the free phone that is affixed to a utility pole (about 50' from the trailhead at the south end of Route 17A). You could call a taxi and have them shuttle you back to your car in Vernon. I suppose you could hitch too. Route 17A is a tough place for cars to pull over. Its a fast, steep and winding road with little to no shoulder.

There is a Whiteblaze member from Warwick http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=679

If you ask him nicely, maybe he'd shuttle you.

snowshoe
04-07-2004, 12:54
My faverite stretch is from Mohican to High Point as well. A great spot to camp is the Buttermilk Falls trail junction. You cant miss the stretch through the Northern Water Gap and Southen Stokes. Very secluded. I also like the Southern DWG but that section is better for day hiking because then you can hit the Dunnfeild Creek and Mt Tammany trails as well as the Fire road.

The section that goes between High Point and Wawayada is very nice, different though. I would recomend that as a day hike. The Mud in the Kittatinny's is not too bad for Spring. More like June conditions in most spots.