PDA

View Full Version : Fast hike GA section

brack
12-02-2008, 21:30
Hello, I am starting to plan a hike of the GA section (including the approach trail). I want to do it fast. I am an ultralighter and am training for a marathon. I want to look at doing the hike over a long weekend. Anyone ever done this section quickly or know someone who has. I did the section over a five day period a few years back. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Brack

Bulldawg
12-02-2008, 21:37
I think Phreak has done Springer to Neel in 22 or 23 hours.

Lone Wolf
12-02-2008, 21:47

that's only 1.3 miles an hour or so. not very fast

Phreak
12-02-2008, 21:50
I did Bly Gap to Springer Mountain in 22 hr 11 min.

Bulldawg
12-02-2008, 21:51
OK, I was wrong, I knew he did something that I knew was pretty damn fast! Sorry Phreak!

Phreak
12-02-2008, 21:53
OK, I was wrong, I knew he did something that I knew was pretty damn fast! Sorry Phreak!
No worries! :)

Bulldawg
12-02-2008, 21:57
No worries! :)

Hey the guy is fast, trust me, I've seen him in action!!!

Gray Blazer
12-02-2008, 21:57
I did Bly Gap to Springer Mountain in 22 hr 11 min.\

What took you so long?

(Just kidding. I was going to say I could prolly hike 1.3 miles an hour in GA.)

Egads
12-02-2008, 22:38
I did Bly Gap to Springer Mountain in 22 hr 11 min.

Phreak, I was going to post a link to your trail report, but the link is dead

Anyone looking for a rabbit?

Whistler
12-03-2008, 01:11
This link still works: http://www.hikes247.com/journals/2006_5-13_AT/2006_5-13_AT.html Great story.

I've done it in 3 and 4 days without too much stress. 2 days would be doable-ish with some effort. 1 day, well, that would take some extra work :) Sounds like a fun challenge though!

Take a look at the elevation profiles to help estimate your pace and a rough water plan (e.g. don't carry extra water uphill to Blue Mountain when there's water up there already, etc.). You already know Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap makes an easy resupply if you've got some time and aren't too picky.

-Mark

Lucinda
12-03-2008, 07:58
Which pack in particular would you use for a trip like that? And what gear would you carry for 2 to 3 days to keep moving fast?

Egads
12-03-2008, 08:03
Which pack in particular would you use for a trip like that? And what gear would you carry for 2 to 3 days to keep moving fast?

A jet pack of course:rolleyes:

Seriously, any 24-40 liter lightweight pack, bag, tarp, groundsheet and pad would do.

brack
12-03-2008, 10:48
I have the go lite ray jardine pack (I forget the name), an rei sub kilo bag, and a two person tarp tent. I am planning on doing the hike with a buddy of mine so that we can split some gear.

However I am thinking about what we will truly need if we are going to try and do it under (or around) 24 hours.

Whistler what did you carry that brought your pack weight up so much? I didn't read anything about sleeping in your trip journal. So I assume you didn't carry a shelter.

Also did you choose to go south because of the ease of pickup at Springer/Approach trail?

How often did you eat? I am thinking every two to three hours something needs to be eaten.

And finally had you done any other training besides the section hiking of the trail?

Thanks for any input.

Egads
12-03-2008, 13:38
Brack,

I think that you are confused, the link is to Phreak's website about Phreak's 22 hr GA AT hike report.

He always hikes / trains with a pack and gear. I saw a 3" hardbound book in his pack on one trip on the Duncan Ridge Trail. It's his handicap to even the field.

garlic08
12-03-2008, 15:51
Pickle and I got to the NC border in four days this year, and we were just warming up for our thru, taking it a little easy at the start. If you're ready for a fast three days and keep your base weight to 10# or under, you should be able to do it. Good luck and have fun!

Phreak
12-03-2008, 18:58
I have the go lite ray jardine pack (I forget the name), an rei sub kilo bag, and a two person tarp tent. I am planning on doing the hike with a buddy of mine so that we can split some gear.

However I am thinking about what we will truly need if we are going to try and do it under (or around) 24 hours.

Whistler what did you carry that brought your pack weight up so much? I didn't read anything about sleeping in your trip journal. So I assume you didn't carry a shelter.

Also did you choose to go south because of the ease of pickup at Springer/Approach trail?

How often did you eat? I am thinking every two to three hours something needs to be eaten.

And finally had you done any other training besides the section hiking of the trail?

Thanks for any input.

I always carry normal overnight gear for my speed hikes. Just in case something was to happen and I was stuck in the woods. I was carrying my Black Diamond Lighthouse tent during this particular trip.

Yes, I hiked SOBO for logistic reasons.

I eat continuously during my speed hikes - I take in calories every 20-30 minutes or so, even if it's just a handful of GORP, Powerbar or a GU.

No special training - I hike/backpack a lot and trail run as often as I can, so I'm usually up for a speed hike on short notice or when ever I get the itch to do one.

Bulldawg
12-03-2008, 19:11
Hey thanks for the link to Phreak's journals. I enjoyed reading them all day at work today!

brack
12-04-2008, 11:05
Thanks for all of the input. I am sure I will have some more questions as we get a little closer to the spring. But I think this is enough to get the gears turning.

Jeff
12-04-2008, 11:31
You can slack Georgia with Hiker Hostel. Break it into 2 comfortable days and have a soft bed and breakfast in between.

http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

brack
12-05-2008, 12:01
One more quick question. What is a good drop off or pick up spot that is close to Bly gap?

Lone Wolf
12-05-2008, 12:19
Blue Ridge Gap, a forest service road about 3 miles south of Bly Gap

max patch
12-05-2008, 12:44
Blue Ridge Gap, a forest service road about 3 miles south of Bly Gap

Thats true, with the caveat that the road is not always drivable. This year it has been fine. Other years not so much. Anytime I plan on using that road I ask for current info as to its condition.

traildust
12-05-2008, 14:47
In 2006 a hiker named TMAC was speed hiking the trail. He wrote an extensive journal on TrailJournals.com. Might be of interest.

Mother Nature
12-05-2008, 22:19
I am the maintainer for the section beginning at Blue Ridge Gap. I was just up there a couple of weeks ago and I can report the road is in dreadful but driveable condition with a higher profile vehicle. I drive a F150 without four wheel drive and if Granny can do it.... you can.