PDA

View Full Version : Food in Shenandoah

Spider
12-03-2008, 08:14
This summer I'm planning a 11 total day trip to hike the entirety of the Shenandoah National Park. We're going to split it over two trips, a 2 day and a 9 day. Obviously we'll be good on food for the 2 day but what have people done for food in Shenandoah for longer hikes? Nine days of food would be quite a bit to carry.

Also, does anyone have the exact mileage of the Shenandoah section? I've heard numbers ranging from 100-120 miles.

THANKS!

KG4FAM
12-03-2008, 08:28
You can eat your way through Shenandoah. Waysides and camp stores all over the place.

Lone Wolf
12-03-2008, 08:30
there's lots of restauants and stores in SNP. bring cash

the park is 103 miles

yappy
12-03-2008, 10:34
plenty of food there.. spendy though. I had excellent pancakes there.

jlb2012
12-03-2008, 14:03
depends on the time of year - right now for example nothing is open and as I vaguely recall the south district does not have anything open 7 days a week until just before Memorial Day

Blissful
12-03-2008, 15:12
If you're going in the summer, no problem with resupply (at the campground stores and waysides). But it is expensive.

Doc
12-03-2008, 17:46
Do not pass on the Blackberry shakes. They are super. I felt that a day hiking in the Park was not complete without at least one.

Spider
12-03-2008, 18:06
Yeah it won't be until Summer.

So... Bring like.. 4, 5, days of food? How often will I be able to resupply?

jlb2012
12-03-2008, 18:26
resupply points - Loft Mtn Campstore, Lewis Mtn Campstore (limited), Big Meadows Wayside/Campstore, Elkwallow Wayside (limited)

not knowing your pace I would guess 3 days of food at a time is all that is needed but if you are a bit slower than that pace it could possibly be 4 days or if faster could possibly be 2 days

rafe
12-03-2008, 18:42
Do not pass on the Blackberry shakes. They are super. I felt that a day hiking in the Park was not complete without at least one.

Sad to say, I only had one of those shakes. It was wonderful. Somehow, I was foiled on my subsequent attempts.

johnnybgood
12-03-2008, 19:10
Shenandoah NP is 105miles,no worry on food as stated already,between Loft Mtn,Lewis Mtn & Big Meadows,Skyland no need to carry bulk up on food

Blissful
12-03-2008, 20:16
resupply points - Loft Mtn Campstore, Lewis Mtn Campstore (limited), Big Meadows Wayside/Campstore, Elkwallow Wayside (limited)

not knowing your pace I would guess 3 days of food at a time is all that is needed but if you are a bit slower than that pace it could possibly be 4 days or if faster could possibly be 2 days

That would be about right. Check the mileage. SNP is pretty easy with a good trail.

sly dog
12-04-2008, 13:14
I also am doing the SNP and the 50 miles or so after it in May, two weeks enough? Also I was wondering about food, 2-3 days worth is right? Is there a good resupply place after the SNP before I do the 50 mile section up to WV? Lastly, do they really do pack searches a lot there? I talked to one thru hiker last year that ran into a ranger that was doing pack searches.

rafe
12-04-2008, 14:10
Pack searches? For what? I never heard of such a thing... not on the AT, anyway.

Spider
12-04-2008, 17:18
I believe stoves are not allowed in SNP so maybe for them.

rafe
12-04-2008, 17:41
I believe stoves are not allowed in SNP so maybe for them.

??? Never heard of that. If it's true, I hiked SNP illegally... as did all the other hikers I met.

Spider
12-04-2008, 17:59
I'm pretty sure I read that in A Walk In The Woods. Though I wouldn't trust that as fact.

Hooch
12-04-2008, 18:13
Lastly, do they really do pack searches a lot there? I talked to one thru hiker last year that ran into a ranger that was doing pack searches.Um, no. That would be a blatant violation of your 4th Amendment rights. Not only that, it would be a waste of time/manpower/resources/money. Methinks someone done told you a fib.

Spider
12-04-2008, 18:17
there's lots of restauants and stores in SNP. bring cash

the park is 103 miles

So they don't take credit cards?

Spider
12-04-2008, 18:18
Um, no. That would be a blatant violation of your 4th Amendment rights. Not only that, it would be a waste of time/manpower/resources/money. Methinks someone done told you a fib.

Yes - would be a waste of resources.

No - I believe they would have the right to do that. Just like they search bags at an airport.

take-a-knee
12-04-2008, 18:38
Yes - would be a waste of resources.

No - I believe they would have the right to do that. Just like they search bags at an airport.

No, cause you don't have to get on the airplane, you can refuse the search and leave, that would be a bit hard to do on foot in the middle of SNP. Some have posted that park rangers in the Sierras check for bearproof canisters, that is the only sort of pack search I've ever heard of.

Blissful
12-04-2008, 20:13
The only thing rangers might look for is a backpack registration slip attached to your pack. We had that happen once.

And they urge you to use stoves. No open fires except at huts.

Check the SNP dot gov site for opening days of waysides and campstores in May for resupply. Some may even open in April. Resupply after leaving SNP at Front Royal (you can hitch in at Rt 522). There is a Food Lion on your right at a shopping center. And a Big Lots which sometimes has cheap jerky, etc.

jlb2012
12-04-2008, 20:43
stoves are permitted in Shen, open fires (ie a fire ring) are not permitted - campfires are only permitted in existing park approved fireplaces such as the fireplace in front of each Hut, fireplaces in picnic areas and front country camping areas.

the only time I ever saw anything approaching a search of a pack is when the backpacker admitted to carrying a weapon - the LE Ranger removed the weapon from the pack, wrote the backpacker a ticket and told him how to get his weapon back after he left the park - quite professional on both sides - the backpacker had received an OK when he called a state park and did not realize that the federal park had different regulations

Spider
12-05-2008, 09:23

What exactly does limited mean? Only snacks?

Rockhound
12-05-2008, 09:25
really? they dont even use real blackberries. just that syrup that any and every fast food chain uses. nothing special about the shakes except the $5 pricetag. The waysides offer nothing but overpriced cafeteria food and a chance to escape the peace and calm of the trail to the noise and chaos of a tourist trap that panders to a population that exemplifies all that is wrong with America. ok ok shakes werent bad and the food beat eating ramens.

Spider
12-05-2008, 09:29
Wait... so it's not the kind of food that you would take with you on the trail?

rafe
12-05-2008, 09:34
really? they dont even use real blackberries. just that syrup that any and every fast food chain uses. nothing special about the shakes except the $5 pricetag. The waysides offer nothing but overpriced cafeteria food and a chance to escape the peace and calm of the trail to the noise and chaos of a tourist trap that panders to a population that exemplifies all that is wrong with America. ok ok shakes werent bad and the food beat eating ramens.

Yeah, yeah. But as a long-term section hiker, the idea of food located so close to (if not exactly on) the AT was kind of a kick. I had a great lunch and a brew at Skyland -- it was good, healthy food, the service and the view were great, and not at all overpriced. Our National Parks are a treasure -- it's nobody's "fault" that they're crowded. They exist in order to be used. I'd be more concerned if they were empty. Not everyone can take weeks or months out of their life to section hike or thru-hike.

Alligator
12-05-2008, 09:48
What exactly does limited mean? Only snacks?This is for Loft Mountain from memory. Soups and quick meals at least. Canned goods. There were some items in the refrigerator, butter, I'm pretty sure eggs. It also had a selection of freeze dried. More than snacks. It was like a country store, imagine you are cooking, and you ran out of something, so you go to the country store hoping they will have it. I didn't resupply there but did wander around a little.

jlb2012
12-05-2008, 10:04
What exactly does limited mean? Only snacks?

not quite that bad - my use of limited is that I found the hiking resupply there to be on the order of what one would find in a gas station/small convenience store but I _think_ both Elkwallow and Lewis Mtn have some choices that are better than snacks

Loft Mtn Campstore (not the Wayside) and Big Meadows Campstore/Wayside gives the hiker more choices - on the order of a larger convenience store, general store, or small grocery store

sly dog
12-05-2008, 10:30
Trust me, there was a pack search done when I talked to the thru hiker I met in NJ. She said it was part of the whole homeland security. They searched her pack and 2 others with no probible cause. They said they could because it is a national park.

Downhill Trucker
12-09-2008, 22:19
I am also planning a trip of the park in late May. We like to do all of our own food at home and we are lucky that we will have a friend resupply us around BigMeadow/Skyland area. Don't want to use the waysides or campstores for resupply but that might make a viable option for lunches? How do I find the location of all of these waysides? Are they off the trail a bit? Again, I'm not looking for resupply for our general campfood, but If I can utilize the waysides for a few breakfasts and lunches I can carry less food.

jlb2012
12-10-2008, 07:14
places to eat : Loft Mtn. Wayside - approx 1 mile from campstore / 0.5 mile off trail if go by Ivy Creek Maintenance Hut - grill - sit inside; Lewis Mtn. Campstore - 0.1 off trail if exit by cabins - I think they have some some stuff that they can microwave - sit outside; Big Meadows Wayside - approx 1 mile from lodge, 0.4 from Lewis Spring area - grill/served food - sit inside (served) or outside (take out); Big Meadows Lodge - 0.2 off trail - served food (scheduled breakfast/lunch/dinner) - sit inside - separate tap room; Skyland Lodge - 0.1 off trail exit by water tower - served food (scheduled breakfast/lunch/dinner) - sit inside - separate tap room (Mountain Room); Elkwallow Wayside - 0.1 off trail exit just before crossing Skyline Drive if NOBO - grill - sit outside

bulldog49
12-10-2008, 10:33
I'm pretty sure I read that in A Walk In The Woods. Though I wouldn't trust that as fact.

Nothing in that book should be taken as fact. :eek:

lonehiker
12-10-2008, 12:27
How do I find the location of all of these waysides? Are they off the trail a bit?

Use your maps. You will walk by trail markers/posts that will indicate a wayside/store. But if you reference the maps, there may actually be a closer point, from the trail, in which to get to it.

Tractor
12-10-2008, 12:59
I hiked by two pack searches in progress a couple of years ago in the SNP. Didn't stop to inquire why.

Christopher Robin
12-11-2008, 16:10
I'm planing to hike from Fomtana Dam next year & pick up a mail drop at Larry.

Jack Tarlin
12-11-2008, 19:44
I've hiked in or thru Shenandoah National Park for the last 14 years.

I've NEVER heard about random pack searches being performed, and this includes recent years as well as immediately after 09-11-01.

This is not something that anyone needs to worry about.

But then again, assuming you're not carrying anything illegal (like firearms or drugs) then you don't have anything to worry about anyway. :rolleyes:

At most, you may get asked about your Backcountry permit, but in all likelihood, you won't even see a Ranger while you're there.

People can relax on this one.

Newb
12-12-2008, 15:52
There's beer in the waysides. cold, yummy beer.

sly dog
12-12-2008, 17:21
Well i guess you missed the searches. It also not the point of carrying anything illegal, it's the fact that I am doing no one any harm and I now have to unload my perfectly packed bag so they can go thru it. Not a big fan of that!

jlb2012
12-12-2008, 20:10
as to the searches - beats me what was going on - either someone dropped the dime or it was a training exercise

johnnybgood
12-16-2008, 18:19
Ran across a Ranger at Jarmin Gap while heading sobo and decided to cool my heals on the fire road. He asked to see my back country permit but did not ask to see contents of my pack. Don't know whats up with these hot searches.

Downhill Trucker
12-22-2008, 06:23
I betcha it has something to do with the ginseng.

Crash
12-22-2008, 17:48
So they don't take credit cards?

Yes they take credit cards at the Waysides. I know MasterCard & Visa but not Discover.

Chaco Taco
12-22-2008, 18:19
I also am doing the SNP and the 50 miles or so after it in May, two weeks enough? Also I was wondering about food, 2-3 days worth is right? Is there a good resupply place after the SNP before I do the 50 mile section up to WV? Lastly, do they really do pack searches a lot there? I talked to one thru hiker last year that ran into a ranger that was doing pack searches.

It has been known to happen but with probable cause. Just use common sense. I did see a search take place but the circumstances manifested way before we got into the park. Just watch out for your fellow hiker and the authorities will let you alone

Chaco Taco
12-22-2008, 18:20
Looking back, I would have packed about 3 days worth of food for the whole park and thats it, maybe even too, but a little extra cash

Skyline
12-22-2008, 18:30
There have been rare bans on the use of backpacking stoves in SNP during periods of extreme drought--as part of a Park-wide fire ban. But 99% of the time, using backpacking stoves is legal and, in fact, expected.

There are ongoing bans on outdoor fires everywhere except Park-approved fireplaces at AT huts, picnic grounds, commercial campgrounds, etc.

If you are not going to take advantage of the restaurants, waysides, etc. you will probably want to resupply once or twice within the Park. You can do that at the campstores like Elkwallow, Big Meadows, and Loft Mt. If you want better selection, you may want to do a maildrop at Luray or Elkton post offices (Luray is more commonly used because there are more other amenities in Luray than Elkton). You can also do a major resupply at super markets in either town, but again, your options are greater in Luray.

In the off-season, all stores, restaurants, etc. in SNP are closed so town resupplies are your most likely option.

Blissful
12-22-2008, 23:45
I betcha it has something to do with the ginseng.

I saw an asian couple get busted for that near Meadow Spring parking several years back. They had plastic bags of it.

phishpapond
12-23-2008, 00:17
2 day worth of food and maybe an extra cliff bar or two and two liters of water will be plenty. You pass all kind of waters supplies and places to get food.
Shenandoah home of .65 beer.

Skyline
12-24-2008, 13:34
2 day worth of food and maybe an extra cliff bar or two and two liters of water will be plenty. You pass all kind of waters supplies and places to get food.
Shenandoah home of .65 beer.

An ultralighter going through SNP in three, four, even five days MIGHT get by with this. The rest of us should plan on carrying more IMHO.

In season, your comments about water sources is accurate EXCEPT in the southern half of the South District--especially during dry times. There are plenty of places to get water you don't even need to filter starting at Loft Mt. northward. In winter, of course, most of these are not available.

Now, where do you buy 65-cent beer in SNP?

Del Q
12-24-2008, 18:39
What is available in early April?

jlb2012
12-24-2008, 20:04

not too much - Skyland and Big Meadows are about it afaik - not too sure about Elkwallow but I would guess its not open yet - for sure Loft Mtn would still be closed

Del Q
12-25-2008, 07:01
Thanks "Hog", just fine with me, so..........what post offices and towns are closest to the AT from Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry. Do about 12 mile days, where would you resupply. Also prefer not to hitch-hike.

fehchet
12-25-2008, 08:56
I spent a fortune hiking SOBO in the SNP and loved every minute of it. Ducked into one of the hotels (Skyland) just as a wicked lightning storm began blasting away. Great dinner and breakfast and even live music in the bar that night. The blackberry shakes treat speak for themselves.

Freeze
12-25-2008, 14:15
Bring your own food if you don't want to spend lots of cash.

Skyline
12-26-2008, 12:09

In early April, Skyland Resort and Big Meadows WAYSIDE (not the Lodge) should be open, plus Big Meadows Campground.

Big Meadows LODGE typically opens late April--but for 2009 will delay opening until May 22 due to the depressed economy and lack of many advance reservations. The other facility open dates usually stagger between about the middle of April and pre-Memorial Day.

As of this writing, exact dates have not been established. When they are, they will be posted at: www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com), and/or you can follow links from there.

As for nearby towns between Rockfish Gap and Harpers Ferry, Luray (west on US211 from AT crossing near Thornton Gap) and Front Royal (north on US522 from the AT crossing) are the most commonly visited by long-distance hikers. Either one has what you'll need in terms of stores and services.

You can call Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service (1-877-789-3210) from Skyland's pay phone (or by cell if you can get a signal) to make a reservation for a shuttle into Luray upon arrival at Thornton Gap (about 10 trail-miles north of Skyland). Same service can get you back to Thornton Gap, or wherever else you might need to go.

Skyline
12-26-2008, 12:10
I spent a fortune hiking SOBO in the SNP and loved every minute of it. Ducked into one of the hotels (Skyland) just as a wicked lightning storm began blasting away. Great dinner and breakfast and even live music in the bar that night. The blackberry shakes treat speak for themselves.

Some of those drinks in mason jars at the bar rock, too.

Del Q
12-27-2008, 12:32
Thanmks Skyline, looking forward to Virginia. Not too excited about crossing over and over Skyline Drive. Have carried 7+ days of food, prefer far less.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2008, 13:35
Not too excited about crossing over and over Skyline Drive.

then don't fight it. walk along it. better views, easier walking and lotsa yogi opps :)

fehchet
12-27-2008, 14:02
Sounds like a plan LW. Probably do that next time through.

Bucky Katt
01-07-2009, 15:53
I've hiked in or thru Shenandoah National Park for the last 14 years.

I've NEVER heard about random pack searches being performed, and this includes recent years as well as immediately after 09-11-01.

This is not something that anyone needs to worry about.

But then again, assuming you're not carrying anything illegal (like firearms or drugs) then you don't have anything to worry about anyway. :rolleyes:

At most, you may get asked about your Backcountry permit, but in all likelihood, you won't even see a Ranger while you're there.

People can relax on this one.

Um with the new regulations concerning guns in national parks, is it still a problem to carry a firearm in SNP?

And regardless of whether or not pack searches is something to worry about past, present or future-- I'll be damned if I let anyone search my pack for any reason. Just my personal feeling on the subject.