PDA

View Full Version : What tarptent is best for a thru?

atsent
12-03-2008, 11:03
I've heard so many good things about tarptents! I've looked at several of the models but don't know which to go with. I'm going SOBO with a partner. He is 6ft 4inches, which is a consideration in choosing tents.

I'm leaning towards the Cloudburst2.
http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst2.html

Would love to hear some opinions. Is it long enough? How's the head space? Is there another model that might work better for us.

Thanks

KG4FAM
12-03-2008, 11:16
I have never used a tarptent, but have seen a few of them in the field and would if I was going to buy one I would get the rainbow. The double rainbow is only one ounce heavier than the cloudburst2. The rainshadow also has more room, but sometimes good flat ground is harder to find in the north and the extra width would be cumbersome.

rafe
12-03-2008, 11:41
There's no "best". Some are a bit lighter than others. Some require trekking poles for support while on others (eg. Rainbow) the poles are optional. I can vouch for the Rainbow as a very roomy, reliable tent that sets up quickly. As with all single-wall tents, condensation can be an issue. Careful site selection can help with that issue.

bigcranky
12-03-2008, 11:50
We have a Double Rainbow (2-person), and we owned a Rainshadow (3-person). The DR has two doors, two vestibules, and is thus easier to use for two people. The Rainshadow has far more interior room. They weigh about the same, and are easy to pitch. If I had to share a single tarptent with another person who was not my spouse, I would choose the Rainshadow -- the Double Rainbow is small enough inside that you'll be quite close together.

The only other thing to consider is carrying two solo shelters. There are advantages to this (unless you are a couple.)

Ender
12-03-2008, 11:53
There is no best one, it's all personal preference, but the one I want to get, and would suggest looking at is the Gossamer Gear Squall Classic...

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Squall_Classic.html

Very light, huge inside.

bulldog49
12-03-2008, 12:27
I would also check out Six Moon Designs. Very good selection of light weight shelters.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

Johnny Swank
12-03-2008, 12:51
There's a ton of good ones out there, but I second BigCranky's suggestion of taking 2 shelters. I've seen way too many hiking pairs split up on the trail, even if just for a couple of days at a time. Tarptents have gotten so light these days that there's not nearly as much weight penalty for carrying 2 smaller shelters.

Johnny Thunder
12-03-2008, 13:14
Go with a Double Rainbow...I hiked from Springer to Glencliff with a single person version of the Rainbow and found it to be my best pre-hike gear purchase. Each vestibule is big enough for gear and provides enough space for butt-first entry and wet boots. From Glencliff to Katahdin I had a Cloudburst 2 lent from Shires. It was good for one person and I even squeezed three people during a cold snap. The problems with the Cloudburst (at least that I found) were...

You have to crawl in feed first in a way that leaves the inner tent body open to the elements. So, when it rains you have to slide on the ground to keep water out.

The vestibule is not full cover. Meaning, it only comes down half way and doesn't provide enough room for two backpacks and boots with room to crawl in.

You can't fully sit up in the Cloudburst. I'm 6' 1 and could sit up i the Rainbow. Also, the livable space in the Cloudburst is trumped by the Rainbow. When the Rainbow gets condensation the walls are taught and away from you. Conversley, when the Cloudburst gets moist it is like sleeping in a wet condom.

Oh yeah, the Cloudburst (and other tube-style tarptents) has velcro to close the vestibule. Groan.

Ender
12-03-2008, 14:27
Just reread the OP and saw that you're planning on sharing a shelter. I would also mirror BigCranky and Johnny Swank in saying that you should each carry your own shelter, or carry one shelter and bounce another ahead. I know of even married couples that have taken a couple days hiking seperate from each other, so you should both be able to hike independant of each other if the need or want arises.

BrianLe
12-03-2008, 14:58
While I agree for the most part with the emerging consensus on "two shelters", one alternate way of viewing this is to consider that singlewall tarptents are light enough that if one partner left the trail, it wouldn't be all that terrible for the remaining hiker to use a two-person tent as a solo. I met several people on the PCT this year doing just that, some intentionally ("I'm a big person" and/or "I like to spreak out" and/or "this is a trail luxury for me worth the weight" and/or "I get claustrophobic in little tents" ... etc) --- and one or two cases where one partner bailed and the other kept going with.

The downside of that approach is the case where the partners split up but both stay on the trail --- and I think that depending on the relationship of the two people, there's a significant percentage chance of that. Married or otherwise closely joined couples or just any couple for which staying together is a higher priority than other trail dynamics, these will likely stay together --- or one of that pair will leave the trail. A more loosely formed partnership is easier to break due to differences in pace, hiking style, getting annoyed at or tired of each other or whatever.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle

garlic08
12-03-2008, 15:46
My partner and I have used two Tarptent Contrails for the last couple of seasons. Two grown men shouldn't have to share a tent. They're 24 oz each. We ended up always hiking together, but it was nice to have the flexibility to split up. And sometimes we didn't agree on the best site or the best direction to pitch--problem solved. The Contrail has plenty of room for a 6'-4" person.

rafe
12-03-2008, 15:59
I'll weigh in with the others -- go with one tent per hiker, for all sorts of reasons.

skinewmexico
12-03-2008, 16:13
I'd each get a Tarptent Sub-lite. Or a Squall 2 while they're on sale for 20% off.

atsent
12-03-2008, 16:42
Thanks for the suggestions. We are indeed a couple and plan on sharing a tent for several reasons-- if one of us needs to slow down/take a zero the other will also so we're not going to be seperated, and call me a wuss but I feel safer sleeping right next to my partner vs in seperate tents or hammocs...it's all in the mind, I know! ;)

atsent
12-03-2008, 17:09
It looks to me that the Double Rainbow will suit our needs best. I know single-wall tents have some issues with condensation so having mesh walls will help a great deal. Johhny Thunder, I hear ya on the wet condom...doesn't sound fun to me. Plus, it can be set up free-standing so that's a plus.

bigcranky
12-03-2008, 17:14
Thanks for the suggestions. We are indeed a couple and plan on sharing a tent for several reasons-- if one of us needs to slow down/take a zero the other will also so we're not going to be seperated, and call me a wuss but I feel safer sleeping right next to my partner vs in seperate tents or hammocs...it's all in the mind, I know! ;)

That's fine -- it wasn't clear from your original post, that's all. You'll be fine sharing a tarptent. My wife and I love ours.

Big Sky
12-03-2008, 18:56
My boyfriend and I use the rainshadow (3-person) and love it. I mean seriously love it. We would have gone with a 2-person (most likely the double rainbow) but we eventually want a dog in there with us, so we got the one with extra room. It's a mansion.

I know a lot of people dislike the small-ish vestibule but honestly, I don't miss it. There is more than enough room inside for gear if it's just the two of you.

Have fun out there :)

Madmax
12-03-2008, 19:48
Human rights = One tent per hiker :sun

skinewmexico
12-04-2008, 02:39
I just bought a double Rainbow, but I was really tempted by the SMD Lunar Duo.

Sailor (The other one)
12-04-2008, 05:53
If you're going with the DR...Henry sells an inner liner that is very light, clips right in and helps a great deal with condensation. It's almost like a double wall. Plus, it adds warmth in winter and coolness in summer. We've had a DR over a year for two trips on the AT and many in Florida and have had no condensation problems.

We also bought the Tyvec footprint. We set up late one night and the next AM I found a root pointy end jutting up under the tent about an inch. If the Tyvek hadn't been the it would have holed the floor.