PDA

View Full Version : hiking june 09

fta
12-03-2008, 15:05
just wondering if anyone else will be on the trail starting as soon as the weather turns nice? hope to start mid june or so well see.

cabana
12-04-2008, 12:10
I am hoping to thru this summer if possible. I have to see if I can arrange the time off of work.
Best Regards,
Cabana

Low Impact
01-10-2009, 01:47
Hey All -

I will be starting my SOUTHBOUND CT THRU-HIKE on June 21st 1009. I figure it'll be an awesome way to spend my 25th Birthday. Still doing research, making arrangements, etc.

I'm super excited. It'll be my first time in CO.

Counting down the days... :D

tom_alan
01-10-2009, 02:14
Hey All -

I will be starting my SOUTHBOUND CT THRU-HIKE on June 21st 1009. I figure it'll be an awesome way to spend my 25th Birthday. Still doing research, making arrangements, etc.

I'm super excited. It'll be my first time in CO.

Counting down the days... :D

:-? That was a 1000 years ago.:eek: Sure you are not starting in 2009?:D:D:D

Egads
01-10-2009, 08:08
Have fun. Expect to deal with some snow in the passes

Low Impact
01-10-2009, 09:47
:-? That was a 1000 years ago.:eek: Sure you are not starting in 2009?:D:D:D

Yup - I'm hiking June 2009. I think I see "Hiking June 09" in the subject line above - that's why I answered.

Super Psyched!

highfisher
02-12-2009, 21:50
I'm starting in late June also, probably going slow, my step son wants to go, he's 12 pretty good in the woods, pretty wiry. Any thoughts about this?

Surlylht
02-13-2009, 08:59
Hoping to be on the CT again this year mid to late June. It will be my third in the last five years. Usually I start in early July but thought I'd try something different this time. Enjoy everyone, it is a great trail.

CrumbSnatcher
02-13-2009, 11:48
mid to late august to late to start a thru on the CT?

fta
02-14-2009, 18:19
we were between silverton and durango early last september and got snowed on so if you dont mind being wet it was not bad. it was just really wet with rain for like a week

Quoddy
02-14-2009, 18:39
mid to late august to late to start a thru on the CT?
Check She-ra's Trail Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=213661) of her 2007 hike.

jnflas91
02-28-2009, 22:11
yea man 09, im starting june 25 after i grad highschool

jnflas91
02-28-2009, 22:12
see you all out there, any one up for the JMT after

Low Impact
02-28-2009, 22:57
Dude!

I'm planning on starting the CT on the 21st. Planning on being done by August 1st and getting over to talk the JMT.

Gonna be a killer summer!

jnflas91
03-03-2009, 17:09
well see you out there than, sounds like we are doing the same thing. MA huh, im hiking MA the AT in a few weeks when im off from school.

echoes
03-04-2009, 01:07
I'll be starting on June 29th and hoping to finish around August 1st.

Cannibal
03-09-2009, 17:33
Don't know when I'm starting; still have to make work arrangements. But, I will be out there this summer. Hoping to get 4 weeks off to give myself time for a thru, but even if I can only get the standard 2 weeks it's beats the snot out of sitting in the office!

UGASlotMachine
03-24-2009, 22:40
Stretch & I are looking to do the CT this summer as soon as it is possible this summer. We want to start early-mid June, but obviously a lot depends on the snow season in CO (which obviously isn't over just yet). Does anyone that lives around the trail know what the snow year has been like (or knows where to find that info)? We're trying to see if it is possible to get out maybe June 10th or so. Thanks!

fta
03-25-2009, 01:37
alot of time between now and june 10th it has been warming up but now cold so who know yet?

fta
03-25-2009, 09:36
im looking to be out in as early as june as i can. i can try and let you know about the snow conditions here as it comes closer.

dallas
04-08-2009, 21:16
Highfisher,
My 11 year old and I are going to do a few sections (probably 3 thru 7) starting June 30th. Maybe we'll see you out there.

Hoped to do a thru but too many conflicts.

Ox97GaMe
04-09-2009, 09:55
Mid June might be a tad early to be hiking. There is likely to still be snow at the higher elevations. The prime time for hiking this trail is actually July/August. They have had heavy snow fall this winter, which means snow is likely to linger longer than normal as well.

Also, I highly recommend that you build in some extra time on your schedule to do some peak bagging while you are there. The trail goes very close to 10 different 14,000 ft peaks. Take the opportunity to go up and see the world from the top. Mt Elbert and Mt Massive are the easiest to summit, and the side trails are right off the CT, near Half Moon campground. I took 8 weeks, but that included several side trips and summits of 10 14ers.

The other issue will be aclamating to higher elevation. Before I went out there, I spent time in the Smokies and Mt Mitchell area. Getting aclamated to 6,000 ft really helped with the transition to 10,000 ft and above. You will be hitting some high elevation about the end of week one.

I also LOVED the camping at Porcupine Lake, just before coming into the Turquois Lake area. Great view of the divide and I got an awesome sunset/sunrise combination from there.

Two Tents
04-09-2009, 10:16
Hey! I am starting in Maine 15 june 09. Happy Trails! Two Tents.

fta
04-10-2009, 08:54
maine is sure a long way from colorado?

cmcdonal2001
06-01-2009, 23:37
A couple buddies and I are starting a SOBO in Denver on June 11 (I'd prefer to start later, but this is the only time we can do it). I know we'll probably be dealing with some snow once we get to Georgia Pass and points beyond, but it has been pretty warm and I've been hearing something about dust storms causing a quicker melt this year, so hopefully it won't be much worse than some post-holing by the time we get to the high country.

Bearpaw
06-02-2009, 00:07
I started June 7, 2006 in Waterton Canyon. There was above average snow that year, but a late May/early June heat wave evened out the snow pack. (It also made for a 100+ heat index in the open sun of Waterton Canyon, but you can't have it all).

I encountered a reasonable bit of snow in the treeline before Georgia Pass, but the pass itself was clear.

The heaviest snow I encountered was the pass between Breckinridge and Copper Mountain, and even that wasn't bad if you were willing to take it slow and kick some decent steps. That was the only spot where an ice axe would have been good for comfort, but even then wasn't truly necessary.

I don't know what the snow conditions have been like this year, but if you check up this site (http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/depth_co.html) , and select areas on or near the CT, it will give you an idea how much snow you may still expect. Copper Mountain has had no snow. The Fremont Pass area has over 2 feet, etc.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 00:09
I'm starting late June maybe 21 or 22 or I might wait till the 30th just so I can make a few extra bucks first

UGASlotMachine
06-04-2009, 16:07
Thinking about getting out to the trail in 10 or so days...anyone from the area have insight on how the snow will be this early in the season? It seems as if things are below average this season, but I'm thinking someone that actually lives in the area might have a better idea how the conditions will be, especially heading into the higher elevations around June 20 or so...thanks!

Mags
06-04-2009, 17:37
It seems as if things are below average this season,

Low snow years does not equal (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50658)no snow year. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50658)

I just like to repeat that over and over again because no one believes CO residents when we say that. ;)

Having said that, June 20th is a generally a good start if you are starting from Denver (Durango? Not so much). Esp this year. I was in the higher elevations of Lost Creek Wilderness this past weekend (the CT passes through there) and there was no snow.

I suspect you'll do fine as you do not hit 10k ft until Kenosha Pass and that is 70 miles in.

Have fun!

fta
06-04-2009, 23:52
mags i respect you definatly and your info but i am leaving monday for the ct an dont mind dealing with some snow but as you said in 4 days after i leave ill hit snow at gorgia pass but i honestly dont mind dealing with some snow part of the adventure so i do thank you for all the great info on your site and either way ill have a great hike. wish me luck maybe a yoyo just cause no one else has that i know of on the ct.

UGASlotMachine
06-06-2009, 23:22
fta - i'm thinking of leaving in the next few days and expect to (obviously) hit snow...what snow gear were you planning on bringing? i'm not thinking an ice axe is necessary, but maybe i'm completely off base? thanks

fta
06-06-2009, 23:41
im definatly not taking an ice axe but dont get me wrong if georgia pass is to snowy ill go around

fta
06-07-2009, 09:15
ugaslotmachine- it seems like we are on the same page hope to see you out there ill be leaving tommorow.

highfisher
06-08-2009, 12:19
Looks like my planned june 21 thru has been changed not by me but my ticker, nothing to serious ,but enough to change my plans until fall or next spring, so I'll be reading your journals and waiting for my turn. Like most hikes you have to be flexible!! Hope you guys and gals have a great adventure out there..Thanks to fta ,Mags , bearpaw, and the others for the info an help, also for Mags and the other Golite guys I requested all titanium parts put in me.. to keep the wieght down LMAO!!!

truckindust
06-08-2009, 13:09
Son and two friends will hit Katahdin June 19th and go SOBO. Two just graduated last weekend from high school and are eager to get started. Spoke to someone in Monson Maine last week...bugs coming on as expected, certainly in the deep woods, but up to that point very little rain for the year or swelling of streams. Weather seems relatively "polite" but anything can happen during the Whites. Just took note that there was still snow in higher elevations...which is useful info indeed.

Mags
06-08-2009, 14:17
Son and two friends will hit Katahdin June 19th and go SOBO. Two just graduated last weekend from high school and are eager to get started. Spoke to someone in Monson Maine last week...bugs coming on as expected, certainly in the deep woods, but up to that point very little rain for the year or swelling of streams. Weather seems relatively "polite" but anything can happen during the Whites. Just took note that there was still snow in higher elevations...which is useful info indeed.

Hi Truck,

This is actually the Colorado Trail forum. I know it is easy to post in the wrong forum (I know I've done it! :D), just thought I'd give you a heads up.

The higher elevations of Colorado are definitely snowy right now.

Good luck to anyone out there right now.

Not that you can't do it...just if you are wus like me it is probably not much fun. :)

Mags
06-08-2009, 14:18
Looks like my planned june 21 thru has been changed not by me but my ticker, nothing to serious ,but enough to change my plans until fall or next spring, so I'll be reading your journals and waiting for my turn. Like most hikes you have to be flexible!! Hope you guys and gals have a great adventure out there..Thanks to fta ,Mags , bearpaw, and the others for the info an help, also for Mags and the other Golite guys I requested all titanium parts put in me.. to keep the wieght down LMAO!!!

The trail will be there. Good luck on your summer!

(I'm a dirtbagger..I'd probably do some odd thrift store design. ;) )

cmcdonal2001
06-08-2009, 18:45
Hope you're up and trucking soon, Highfisher.

For everyone else, my friends and I are starting come hell or high water (snow?) in a few days. We'll see some of you along the way, I'm sure!

Mags
06-08-2009, 18:48
Please read these posts for some interesting info:

http://trailforums.com/detail.cfm?EntryID=125800#125800
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/2009-June/002953.html

truckindust
06-08-2009, 21:44
Oops! Thanks!

tom_alan
06-12-2009, 02:50
A couple buddies and I are starting a SOBO in Denver on June 11 (I'd prefer to start later, but this is the only time we can do it). I know we'll probably be dealing with some snow once we get to Georgia Pass and points beyond, but it has been pretty warm and I've been hearing something about dust storms causing a quicker melt this year, so hopefully it won't be much worse than some post-holing by the time we get to the high country.

I have been doing some fly fishing and the rivers seem high for this time of the year. Usually see them running high towards the end of the month. Looks like the melt is a little faster; however, Pikes Peak (14,110ft) looks like it still has a lot of snow above 12,000ft as viewed from Pueblo. Good Luck ~ Wish I could be out there

Tom