PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Newsletter update??

A-Train
04-06-2004, 17:45
I was wondering if the AT news letter that is put out a couple times a year has yet released the issue with all of the thru-hiker completions from last year (03') ? I know it comes out sometime in the spring and I don't recieve the newsletter. I'm looking for it so I can get in touch with some friends whos names I've forgotten and also to see what folks behind me finished. Whether or not anyone knows if this came out yet, do you know where I can get a copy without getting the whole subsription? ATC archives?

Minerva
04-06-2004, 18:51
A-Train,
Check out this url:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/index.html

It's a PDF file. The May/June issue will list the 2003 two-thousand milers that have checked in with the ATC.
Cin

A-Train
04-06-2004, 19:47
Thanks a lot Ms. Gorp. Hope to see you on or near the LT this june!

Minerva
04-06-2004, 21:09
June! I'll keep an eye out for you
Cin

weary
04-06-2004, 23:12
I was wondering if the AT news letter that is put out a couple times a year has yet released the issue with all of the thru-hiker completions from last year (03') ? I know it comes out sometime in the spring and I don't recieve the newsletter. I'm looking for it so I can get in touch with some friends whos names I've forgotten and also to see what folks behind me finished. Whether or not anyone knows if this came out yet, do you know where I can get a copy without getting the whole subsription? ATC archives?

It's not a newsletter, it's a magazine and it's free to those who join the Appalachian Trail Conference, which is the minimum that people who have gained from the trail should do.

The trail is not a magical thing that just arrived without human help. It was built by humans through the efforts of ATC. It will remain only as long as those who benefit continue to contribute.

Weary

A-Train
04-06-2004, 23:27
It's not a newsletter, it's a magazine and it's free to those who join the Appalachian Trail Conference, which is the minimum that people who have gained from the trail should do.

The trail is not a magical thing that just arrived without human help. It was built by humans through the efforts of ATC. It will remain only as long as those who benefit continue to contribute.

Weary

Woah, all i did was ask a question. I'm well aware and totally grateful for the thousands and thousands of hours that volunteers of local trail clubs as well as the ATC has done for the AT. I'm planning on joining the ATC and probably the GMC as well. I'm currently an ALDHA member. I'm also planning to do a lot of Trail work in my life, starting this summer. Since finishing my hike I just jumped back into college life but I figure all the time I use on the internet to give information and to help prospective thru-hikers is all I can handle right now. I care about the Trail as much as you or anyone else does, Weary

Lugnut
04-07-2004, 00:43
A-Train, I just knew you were going to get one of "those" posts. You made a reasonable request and I'm glad you got two or three reasonable answers. I have noticed that it is getting easier to get called to task than it used to for a comment, or question. Is this site getting more testy or do people have too much time on their hands. Maybe we would all rather be hiking. :-?

Chappy
04-07-2004, 06:59
Woah, all i did was ask a question. I'm well aware and totally grateful for the thousands and thousands of hours that volunteers of local trail clubs as well as the ATC has done for the AT. I'm planning on joining the ATC and probably the GMC as well. I'm currently an ALDHA member. I'm also planning to do a lot of Trail work in my life, starting this summer. Since finishing my hike I just jumped back into college life but I figure all the time I use on the internet to give information and to help prospective thru-hikers is all I can handle right now. I care about the Trail as much as you or anyone else does, Weary

Ask a simple question and get a lecture!

ATrain, I can say I've benefited from your input about thruhiking and I appreciate the manner in which you share your experience. Wish I could say that about many others who frequently post here. I don't think you need to justify yourself to anyone.

weary
04-07-2004, 12:42
Ask a simple question and get a lecture!

Well, it wasn't a very long lecture -- maybe 60 words. The question had already been answered. Sorry, if I came off as a bit too blunt. But, I do think it useful to remind folks from time to time that the trail is not something to simply be used. It began as a volunteer effort. It remains a volunteer effort.

And don't tell me that we all know and act on that already. Though there are 3,000 new thru hike attempts each year, ATC membership is pretty stagnant. MATC membership is going down not up.

This trail has always been, and now more than ever, is a fragile institution.

No where is the trail more fragile than in Maine, which most think of as being, the wildest, prettiest and most protected. The paper company lands that give the trail it's sense of remoteness are all on the market for sale to the highest bidders.

Four or five of us spent the morning trying to devise a way to protect Abraham, one of a cluster of high peaks between Saddleback and Bigelow, abutting the AT corridor.

As we seek a strategy for protecting a few of the more critical lands, I'm reminded of the ignorance of trail history and needs.

The comment from my walk in 1993 that sticks prominently in my mind, follows a shelter discussion about National Park efforts to buy the trail corridor. "Why should the government buy the trail? one hiker asked. "If the Appalachian Trail Conference wants a trail, let them buy it themselves."

I was a lone voice in a crowded shelter and probably persuaded no one. But I continue to try.

Weary

Moon Monster
04-07-2004, 12:55
I'm looking for it so I can get in touch with some friends whos names I've forgotten

If I remember from past years correctly, the ATN only publishes real names, trailnames, and cities of residence. So, when you find the name, you would still probably have to phone ATC and see if that hiker checked the box that allows ATC to give out their contact info.

Are you driving to Trail Days? If you won't be going through Harpers Ferry, let me know if you need someone live to go hunt through the photo books for contact information of someone from '03 that ATC can't give info over the phone for--I will likely be through HF sometime in May or early June (before I head up to Vermont) and I probably know most of the hikers from '03 that you know.

Chappy
04-07-2004, 17:13
Well, it wasn't a very long lecture -- maybe 60 words. The question had already been answered. Sorry, if I came off as a bit too blunt. But, I do think it useful to remind folks from time to time that the trail is not something to simply be used. It began as a volunteer effort. It remains a volunteer effort.

And don't tell me that we all know and act on that already. Though there are 3,000 new thru hike attempts each year, ATC membership is pretty stagnant. MATC membership is going down not up.

This trail has always been, and now more than ever, is a fragile institution.

No where is the trail more fragile than in Maine, which most think of as being, the wildest, prettiest and most protected. The paper company lands that give the trail it's sense of remoteness are all on the market for sale to the highest bidders.

Four or five of us spent the morning trying to devise a way to protect Abraham, one of a cluster of high peaks between Saddleback and Bigelow, abutting the AT corridor.

As we seek a strategy for protecting a few of the more critical lands, I'm reminded of the ignorance of trail history and needs.

The comment from my walk in 1993 that sticks prominently in my mind, follows a shelter discussion about National Park efforts to buy the trail corridor. "Why should the government buy the trail? one hiker asked. "If the Appalachian Trail Conference wants a trail, let them buy it themselves."

I was a lone voice in a crowded shelter and probably persuaded no one. But I continue to try.

Weary

This lecture was longer!

weary
04-07-2004, 18:47
This lecture was longer!

Yup. But even more important!

Blue Jay
04-08-2004, 07:22
This lecture was longer!

How about a short one. Any thruhiker who is not a member of the ATC is a cheap SOB.

Chappy
04-09-2004, 08:50
How about a short one. Any thruhiker who is not a member of the ATC is a cheap SOB.

1. I'm not a thru hiker
2. I'm not a member of the ATC
3. I'm not cheap
4. I'm definitely not an SOB - if you care to call me one I'll be home from Korea in three months!

Me thinks you couldn't back up that statement...not to my face. There's lots of safety in digits.

Blue Jay
04-09-2004, 10:10
1. I'm not a thru hiker
2. I'm not a member of the ATC
3. I'm not cheap
4. I'm definitely not an SOB - if you care to call me one I'll be home from Korea in three months!

Me thinks you couldn't back up that statement...not to my face. There's lots of safety in digits.

Oh to be filled with testosterone again. If you are not a thruhiker how could my statement apply to you?

Jaybird
04-09-2004, 10:24
I was wondering if the AT news letter that is put out a couple times a year has yet released the issue with all of the thru-hiker completions from last year (03') ? I know it comes out sometime in the spring and I don't recieve the newsletter........................................ ......

A Train:

The March-April 2004 ATN just came out....it does NOT have the list in it.

I think the magazine comes out 6 times a year (supposed to...)
If i'm Not mistaken...i think that list you are seeking is in the next issue:
the May-June ATN.

I'm NOT gonna lecture you...but, is there a reason you're not an ATC
member?

Just curious.

weary
04-09-2004, 10:53
A Train:

I think the magazine comes out 6 times a year (supposed to...)
If i'm Not mistaken...i think that list you are seeking is in the next issue:
the May-June ATN.

ATC is in the midst of a major reorganization in an attempt to better manage the trail, and attract more membership. I understand part of that effort will be more frequent magazine issues. BTW, Robert Rubin, a thru hiker and author of "On the Beaten Path" is editor of the magazine and has improved the magazine greatly.

A shakeup of the organization is badly needed. Something is wrong when an organization devoted to a world famous trail has only a third of the membership of AMC, which is primarily New England based.

But then, maybe long distance hikers really are just "cheap SOBs" compared, say, with White Mountain hut users.

Weary

A-Train
04-09-2004, 20:44
Read my comments under the thread CHEAP SOB's, Jaybird.