PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runner Question

ATX-Hiker
12-03-2008, 19:10
Does anybody make a trail runner that has some form of shank in it for going over rocks with out wearing out your feet? Is the trail even rocky enough to need them?

Serial 07
12-03-2008, 19:33
yes and i can't remember the name of this particular brand...there were some trusted folks who swore by'em...i know zapatos is shoes is spanish, but the brand started with a Z...can't remember, only posted that to maybe jog someone else's memory...:-?

i could see using them in the middle section of the trail...

Blissful
12-03-2008, 20:01
The trail is rocky in places and your feet can hurt for a time, but good insoles helped me out, esp at the end in PA. And a few days rest in NY.

rafe
12-03-2008, 20:26
Trail runners will work anywhere on the AT -- except maybe wet rocks. I've done my last 800 or so AT miles in glorified sneakers. Toughest time I had with those sneakers was on a blue blaze in the Whites, about six weeks ago, after a rain. I guess some sneakers have stiffer soles and better tread than others.

Boudin
12-03-2008, 23:00
Trail runners can work great even without a stiff shank for the rocks. Remember that they aren't designed to great a lot of weight....so keep your pack weight in mind. I you are way over weight yourself, and your pack is less than 35 pounds, they should be fine. Starting off in the cold weather I would use a pair made with goretex. After the weather warms up, change over to a pair with flow through ventilation. I have hiked for years in Solomon XA Pro. I love them. I never get blisters. You do need to keep an eye on your tread and your insole. Once they start to get thin get another pair.

Tinker
12-03-2008, 23:27
I did the last 20 miles of the Hundred Mile Wilderness in these:

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product.aspx?sku=510230 after my low top Keen trail runners stretched out too much. I also climbed Katahdin in them. I weigh 210+ lbs.
I used Smartwool socks and Sealskinz with them. No blisters. Coming down the big K with the sandals made my arches ache, though. It's like a near-vertical Mahoosuc Notch.
As mentioned above, a good pair of stiff plastic orthotic-type inserts works wonders to isolate your feet from the rocks. I used to use Superfeet, but am currently trying to wear out the two pair of inserts that came with my Chaco boots.

Compass
12-04-2008, 00:44
Superfeet are real popular but for me the arch is at the wrong place just enough to be uncomfortable. I use Asics Trail Runners with an after market "Sofsol" brand. Their "Adapt" line that has you bake them at 250* and then stand in them for 10 minutes but I skip that and after 5 miles they fit great and last about 600 miles. Did great through PA.