PDA

View Full Version : raingear help?

walkin' wally
12-03-2008, 19:57
I don't want to get completely soaked during cold rainy weather early on during my thru so can anyone tell me about any differences in performance between the Frogg Togg raingear and the Marmot Precip raingear?

I just saw some reviews on Outdoor Review dot com and the Precip Jacket was thoroughly trashed by several people. I've never visited that site before so I don't know about the integrity of it but was surprised by the many negative comments.

Any other brand suggestions for good lightweight raingear?

Thanks

ww

Blissful
12-03-2008, 19:59
Not sure why precip was trashed. It keeps you dry just fine in camp. Used it my entire hike in '07. I mean I wouldn't hike in it unless it's windy and cold rain or sleet or you will sweat in it. But I'm sure you would sweat in Frogg Toggs too.

KG4FAM
12-03-2008, 20:11
Frogg Toggs aren't very durable. They don't breathe just like Gore-tex or Precip doesn't breathe. The Precip will hold up longer and has pit zips and has wrists that can open up and pockets that try to vent as well.

Blissful
12-03-2008, 20:14
True on Frogg Toggs as my son ripped his pants out the seocnd day he used them. But the jacket held up the entire hike.

taildragger
12-03-2008, 20:28
I prefer a synthetic, windshirt, or wool layer in light rain. If its raining enough to soak me and I'm getting cold, the precip seems like it'd be nice. I have the precip plus (no pi t zips), I would get sweaty in this thing if I zipped it up, but I don't expect to stay dry in rain gear, just warmer, and maybe less wet...

Frogg togs have a good following, I might look into them for pants.

Strategic
12-03-2008, 21:51
I use the DriDucks rainsuit from Frogg Toggs and love it. It's reasonably breathable (it's not exactly Gortex, but it does breath) and it really does keep you dry. Haven't had any durability problems myself, but I'm reasonably careful with my gear and I'm a section hiker, so YMMV. I also use a trekking umbrella, which is my really preferred raingear, but in a good downpour (or in cold or wind) I use the DriDucks in addition.

Lyle
12-03-2008, 21:59
I use Frogg Toggs (actually a generic version - no longer available. I will replace with Frogg Toggs eventually). I've used the same set for several years, probably 500 miles of hiking including the PA floods of 2006, and several days of all-day downpours this past May. Have even used them a couple of times doing some relatively light trail building in the rain. They keep me as dry as anything I've ever used and breath better than anything else I've used.

I stayed comfortable with a wicking layer underneath. I seldom use the pants. The set I have is still in excellent condition, no rips or tears. I paid $29.00 for the set, can't beat the price.

I have no experience with a Precip, other than looking at them.

Lone Wolf
12-03-2008, 22:02
frogg toggs. all you need. frig precip and all the other tech crap

Serial 07
12-03-2008, 22:09
i saw that same trashing of the marmot...made my frogg togg decision easier...i'm going for cheap on this one...

verber
12-04-2008, 00:07
People complain that Frogg Togg or their lighter cousins DriDucks are fragile. It is true that they aren't appropriate going cross country in the Australian scrub or climbing, but they are plenty durable for the AT. There are some people who have gotten down the fine art of ripping them the first day they get a pair, but there is a large number of people who have thousands of miles on their pair. They are easily repaired with duct tape, and they are CHEAP!

In terms of breathability... DriDucks are actually better that Gore-Tex and way better than Precip. They aren't as good as eVENT and maybe Montbell's BreezeTec... but they are an order of magnitude cheaper.

Some notes and links to real data on my recommended rain gear (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#rainshell) page.

--Mark

Spirit Walker
12-04-2008, 00:25
The Precip seems to have some sort of quality control issue. Some people have great experiences with it, other get soaked right away. I was one who had a bad jacket, wet through straight away, but I've read enough people who loved the jacket to accept that it may just be that some are better made than others. I did use it on the CDT though and didn't freeze to death, so how bad can it be? (I also rewaterproofed it several times after my initial soaking.)

I wore Frogg Toggs on the PCT and thought they were fine for that trail. I'm not so sure about the much wetter and colder AT. In sleet I froze, which is why I"m not so sure about wearing it in early season on the AT. It was good for wind though and for wearing.

I'm wearing a Patagonia jacket now - and it works for me, but it was more expensive than Frogg Toggs. I haven't tried it for a long hike though, just short trips.

verber
12-04-2008, 00:44
I wore Frogg Toggs on the PCT and thought they were fine for that trail. I'm not so sure about the much wetter and colder AT. In sleet I froze, which is why I"m not so sure about wearing it in early season on the AT.

My perspective is that I don't want my rain shell to be warm. I want it to keep me dry for external moisture and breathable enough that I don't get damp from internally generated moisture. My insulation layer will be much more efficient keeping me warm than a heavier shell.

--Mark

mudhead
12-04-2008, 07:33
Dick's Sporting in Bangor had Frogg Toggs last time I was in there. This was awhile ago. Augusta has a Dick's.

Frogg Toggs makes a slew of types, not sure which I saw. You should try them on before ordering. They are sized odd.

If you get them, I would be curious how they handle Maine woods.

hnryclay
12-04-2008, 07:51
I have both Dri Ducks, and a Precip jacket. They both have good qualities. The Precip is more of a shell, has a better hood, looks better, is more durable, but is a little heaver, and a little less breathable. The Dri Ducks are super light, cheap, water proof, breathable, but fragile, and they fit weird. In the winter I prefer my precip with the Dri Ducks pants, in the summer the Dri Ducks jacket is all I take. YMMV

tuswm
12-04-2008, 12:25
I am new here and have never done a thru hike but I have spent alot of time backpacking and I never leave with out my mountain hardwear xenon, its Gore-TeX PacLite. I can not comment on warm weather use since I mostly only go out in winter weather. It has one CON, I found it on Clarence for $100. The Pros are that I have never bothered to wash it after 2 years. Its under a pound. You can wear it around town. It does have nice things like water proof zippers, pit zips and pockets. It also packs small, I can fit it in a 1/2 liter water bottle when rolled up. Its durable.

Deadeye
12-04-2008, 14:26
my precip is neither waterproof nor breathable

I prefer an umbrella combined with wind shirt