PDA

View Full Version : Food Bag

KarenM982
12-03-2008, 22:47
What size food bag do you all recommend for a thru hike? I aim to carry between 3 and 8 days of food. I have been looking at the Sea to Summit 8L and 13L waterproof dry sacks....

Thanks!

Tinker
12-03-2008, 23:52
I carried food for 9-10 days in an 8x25" bag (Hundred Mile Wilderness). I was through it in under 8, though. I actually use old sleeping bag stuffsacks that are no longer waterproof and I burn a small hole in the bottom to let out any water that may get into them when I hang them. All the food inside is in gallon zip freezer bags anyway. I figure that a dry bag might be overkill, weight-wise (and more money spent), but it might not be a bad thing if you're not as cheap as me :D.

KG4FAM
12-03-2008, 23:58
I actually use old sleeping bag stuffsacks that are no longer waterproof and I burn a small hole in the bottom to let out any water that may get into them when I hang them. All the food inside is in gallon zip freezer bags anyway. I figure that a dry bag might be overkill, weight-wise (and more money spent), but it might not be a bad thing if you're not as cheap as me :D.I do the same thing.

I figure you should get one that is bigger than what you need so that when you put it in your pack it can work into the gear and not be another cylindrical item taking up extra space.

Compass
12-04-2008, 00:27
Get a food bag made out of a material that does not soak up water like a sponge such as silnylon. Even the morning due can wet the outside of the bag and if not dried off can make the things inside your pack damp.

If you have a drawstring top bag "hog-tie" it before hanging it up outside to keep rain from running down the string and inside the top. Cut the circle/flap of fabric off that is on some bags to cosmetically cover the opening.

As far as size of the food bag for longer sections start out with the food that does not fit in the bag that is sealed well and not smelly loose in your pack. At night use your sleeping bag stuff sack for the overflow food.

Serial 07
12-04-2008, 00:42
i foolishly bought a sea to summit for this very purpose...don't waste your time...it is a nice bag, but it's just food...i honestly used the plastic grocery bags from the store...but i don't hang normally...when i did, i used an old sleeping back sized stuff sack as well...

River Runner
12-04-2008, 13:40
I like my Sea to Summit dry bag for food. I bought a bright orange one so it's easy to spot in the mornings (even before I put in my contacts). The 8 L is fine for a weekend, but would not hold enough for 8 days.

The roll down top makes a convenient place to hang it from a bear bag rope without messing with knots in a too long stuff sack draw cord.

The Solemates
12-04-2008, 14:16
how about a garbage bag

Johnny Thunder
12-04-2008, 14:27
20L of food bag at a minimum. Mine was often too small. But, I did carry a food bag that when full was larger and heavier than the rest of my pack.

Chaco Taco
12-04-2008, 14:44
20L of food bag at a minimum. Mine was often too small. But, I did carry a food bag that when full was larger and heavier than the rest of my pack.
I got pictures to prove how freakin large his food bag was!!! Two words Thunder, Fiber Bar!

Chaco Taco
12-04-2008, 14:46
Save your money on the Sea to Summit bag, just use an old stuff sack. Spend that money on something else, or Serials idea, use a small garbage bag.

Chaco Taco
12-04-2008, 14:47
Oh yea, or the elcheapo stuff sacks you can get at Walmart. I got some when I was at Standing Bear and carried them all the way to Maine

Johnny Thunder
12-04-2008, 14:53
I got pictures to prove how freakin large his food bag was!!! Two words Thunder, Fiber Bar!

Remember when I had three full food bags and a sandwich strap-on heading into the 100 miles? Oh, and the fifth of whiskey?

Seriously, If I was to do it all again I'd get a limitless pack...buy one of those sil pack liners and write "BEARS, THIS IS NOT A FOOD BAG" on the side with a sharpie...then fill it with Cap 'n' Crunch and dehydrated milk. Just add water, close the bag, and shake. BREAKFAST!

Word to the wise...Chaco is alluding to an unfortunate incident involving an overabundance of pilfered energy bars and a maximum overload of Fiber before 10 AM.

KarenM982
12-04-2008, 15:38
Thanks River Runner and Johnny Thunder for answering my question!

I have used an old stuff sack from my sleeping bag on all my backpacking trips, but prefer to get one that will keep my food dry if hung from a tree in the rain. PLus, I do like the roll down top which makes hanging from a tree much easier. The Sea To Summit dry bags only weigh 1 oz and are only 18 bucks. Cant really go wrong with that.

Wags
12-04-2008, 16:39
i use an outdoor research hydroseal #4. orange for easier to spot, like someone else posted

Manwich
12-04-2008, 16:46
I use the Big (Green) bag from the Walmart Stuff Sack 3-pack with some 550 Paracord tied to the buckles.