PDA

View Full Version : Overmountain

Joey
12-04-2008, 00:24
Headin up to the "Highlands" saturday. Gonna head NB toward Overmountain. Never been to that shelter before. I know that alot of people go up to that shelter especially on weekends and I have seen some bad reviews of Stan Murray shelter. Friend of mine said the "barn" was the best by far especially in winter. So I am taking a poll on this! Which is better? The "barn" or Stan Murray? In case anybody up there this weekend come by for a hot drink!

KG4FAM
12-04-2008, 00:28
Barn. great view, plenty of camping

stan murray is nothing to talk about. if you were going to stay near stan murray and the weather was nice you could camp up on top of the grassy ridge.

Joey
12-04-2008, 00:32
I have camped a couple of times on Grassy Ridge and it was wonderful. Just not in the mood to carry the tent this go around and plus I would like to stay in the OM shelter. The thing I like about camping on Grassy is the view at night of Erwin and the otehr cities in the distance. Can you see that from OM? Was going to go to the SMokies but dont have time to zoom up to Tri-Corner with limited time.

Mocs123
12-04-2008, 00:40
Here is the view from Overmountain
http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/10105/2087628150086983979S600x600Q85.jpg

Joey
12-04-2008, 00:44
Thanks Mocs!! Looks like some more snow headed in Saturday. Bet this scene will be super!! One of my buddies was caught there in the blizzard of 93 and they were pinned down for 4 days in the barn. They took the Forest Service road out and wound up at some small house nearby. They had to get someone from Columbia (SC) to come up and get them. They could not even get to their truck at Carvers Gap. Bud said the winds were at least 80-90mph up and snow was really deep.

Tennessee Viking
12-04-2008, 01:21
Headin up to the "Highlands" saturday. Gonna head NB toward Overmountain. Never been to that shelter before. I know that alot of people go up to that shelter especially on weekends and I have seen some bad reviews of Stan Murray shelter. Friend of mine said the "barn" was the best by far especially in winter. So I am taking a poll on this! Which is better? The "barn" or Stan Murray? In case anybody up there this weekend come by for a hot drink!
Overmountain Barn under a full moon....can't beat it. During the winter, it gets a bunch of hunter traffic. And kids from Roaring Creek and Minneapolis love to party there. There is a good size camp site at the trail junction. And another one down at the forest gate at an old cabin foundation.

Stan Murray is a bit of a last resort if you can't make it to the barn before dark. Its some what in the open and the winds coming over Roan can keep you up all night.

Joey
12-04-2008, 15:25
Thanks buliwyf. I guess maybe I should carry the tent after all. Hopefully it wont be too crowded. Looks like its gonna be cold and snowy though!!

JumpInTheLake
12-04-2008, 18:29
The Stan Murray shelter is too close to the Barn to bother with. It's also just a small three sided lean to. The Barn is a much better choice, and it has good level ground for a tent if that's what you want.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/EagerJeeper/Barn.jpg?t=1228089613

Doctari
12-04-2008, 19:22
Stan Murray vs Overmountain is like pitting a pro football* team against a JR varsity highschool team, The pros will win "No contest!"

If nothing else, the view at OverMountain is, well, you can see in the pictures. There is no view at stan murray.

*Well, unless it's the Bengals, then the JV team will "MESS THEM UP" but that's a different story. :D

dmax
12-04-2008, 19:31
I always take a tarp for staying in the shelter during winter. It gets pretty drafty in there.

rockdawg69
12-04-2008, 19:43
If you have stayed on Grassy Ridge in the past, you already got the best views. No way to see Erwin or other TN lights from OM as it sits down below a saddle. First pic above gives best view, to east, from OM. Forget Stan Murray, go for OM.
Then again, if it doesn't snow and the wind don't blow (fat chance), Grassy is the best view in the southern Apps IMHO.

Christopher Robin
12-04-2008, 19:56
Is the Barn far from the AT trail ? If not I would like to stay there on my thru-hike next year.

KG4FAM
12-04-2008, 20:02
Is the Barn far from the AT trail ? If not I would like to stay there on my thru-hike next year.It not far, but if the weather is nice Grassy Ridge may be a better choice.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-04-2008, 20:12
Stay at OM you want regret it -if you stay on the top level there are gaps in some of the boards so lay down a tarp -I have always stayed on the bottom level -you get a great view from your sleeping bag in the morning

Hillbilly

Joey
12-04-2008, 22:42
Raysweather is calling for 50+mph winds, some snow flurries and extreme cold! So I can assure you my butt will not be out on Grassy Ridge even though I have a MountainHardwear expediton tent. I will just set up at the barn and make a great trip out of it. Thanks for all of the input each one of you have given! If anyone is int he area, I'll make some good hot drinks and you are welcome to join me!

Alligator
12-04-2008, 22:57
I always take a tarp for staying in the shelter during winter. It gets pretty drafty in there.I agree. I stayed on one of the platforms (fall) and ended up rigging my tarp as a windbreak. The inside looked a bit breezy as well.

Tennessee Viking
12-04-2008, 23:07
Grassy Ridge is fun in the spring and summer, especially during the berry season. Winter time...its off to the barn or Roan High Shelter.

Let me know how the Barn looks, there has been some small trail vandalism further up, and just wanted know how the barn looks now.

Flush2wice
12-04-2008, 23:15
I have camped a couple of times on Grassy Ridge and it was wonderful. Just not in the mood to carry the tent this go around and plus I would like to stay in the OM shelter. The thing I like about camping on Grassy is the view at night of Erwin and the otehr cities in the distance. Can you see that from OM? Was going to go to the SMokies but dont have time to zoom up to Tri-Corner with limited time.
You can't see Erwin from Grassy Ridge. You can see the town of Roan Mt. from GR. You can see Erwin from Beauty Spot.

Thanks buliwyf. I guess maybe I should carry the tent after all. Hopefully it wont be too crowded. Looks like its gonna be cold and snowy though!!

Raysweather is calling for 50+mph winds, some snow flurries and extreme cold! So I can assure you my butt will not be out on Grassy Ridge even though I have a MountainHardwear expediton tent. I will just set up at the barn and make a great trip out of it. Thanks for all of the input each one of you have given! If anyone is int he area, I'll make some good hot drinks and you are welcome to join me!
Yes, you may want to set up your tent in the barn since it will be so cold and windy. Ray says 50 mile gusts and a low of 13. The wind blows right through the barn. Sunday may be tough too if your hiking over the Humps. High of 18 and more wind.
Give us a trip report when you get back.

Joey
12-05-2008, 00:21
Just packed the sub-zero jacket, crampons, balaclava, toboggan, goggles, 2 pr gloves, shell mitts, zero degree bag, windstopper pants and jacket and so on and MH bivy sack. Ya'll reckon the bivy sack will be enough or should I pack my MH bunker tent (1 man expedition style)? Just have never stayed at OM and from the pics I see alot of space between the boards and especially the platforms on the outside look exposed as well.

dmax
12-05-2008, 10:52
When I stay in the loft, I will use my tarp for the wall. Take some string and there is plenty of options. If nobody is there, I will set my tent up on the lower platforms. No matter what, the wind will be coming right up the hollow. At least it always seems that way. You can usually set a tent up in the grass at the shelter. The wind seems to go right over the tent.

I was going to suggest taking a sled. There is some good hills around there. I always end up having to take more clothing when I take a sled.
More weight for more fun, I guess.

Joey
12-07-2008, 21:30
Just got back from my trip to the Roans and what a trip. High winds, blowing snow, below zero windchills. Overmountain Shelter was everything you all said it would be and more. Despite the wind and the tarp that someone put up flapping. Was not a bad trip at all. (except for the SOB who pooped in the loft of the shelter and left it there!!) Sunrise was beautiful this morning and you could see the wind and snow hammering the Humps pretty bad. Today brought extremely cold temps and high winds up high but by the time I got up to Jane Bald you could see for ever!! Had to use the crampons most of the way, the trail from Carvers to Stan Murray was a solid sheet of ice. Look forward to headin back real soon.

KG4FAM
12-07-2008, 21:33
Had to use the crampons most of the way, the trail from Carvers to Stan Murray was a solid sheet of ice.Were you using real crampons or yaktrax/microspikes?

Joey
12-07-2008, 21:42
10 point Stubai's!! Made the going a little slow because when you got beyond the split int he trail headed to Stan Murray you really had to be careful placing your steps. Almost twisted my ankle a few times going in and out.

Joey
12-07-2008, 21:43
Were you using real crampons or yaktrax/microspikes?
Dont play with the "little stuff" I gots da real deal!! LOL

Tennessee Viking
12-07-2008, 23:49
Just got back from my trip to the Roans and what a trip. High winds, blowing snow, below zero windchills. Overmountain Shelter was everything you all said it would be and more. Despite the wind and the tarp that someone put up flapping. Was not a bad trip at all. (except for the SOB who pooped in the loft of the shelter and left it there!!) Sunrise was beautiful this morning and you could see the wind and snow hammering the Humps pretty bad. Today brought extremely cold temps and high winds up high but by the time I got up to Jane Bald you could see for ever!! Had to use the crampons most of the way, the trail from Carvers to Stan Murray was a solid sheet of ice. Look forward to headin back real soon.I saw Hump from 19E today, it was WHITE & COLD!

Joey
12-08-2008, 21:49
I saw Hump from 19E today, it was WHITE & COLD!
You should of been up there!! It was COLD yesterday coming across Jane and Round Bald. I had to put my goggles on because my eyes were actually hurting from the cold. But I got some really great pics and it was actually the most beautiful scenery I've ever experienced in my 20+ years of hiking. I now see why the Roans have always been my favorite.

JumpInTheLake
12-09-2008, 21:30
You should of been up there!! It was COLD yesterday coming across Jane and Round Bald. I had to put my goggles on because my eyes were actually hurting from the cold. But I got some really great pics and it was actually the most beautiful scenery I've ever experienced in my 20+ years of hiking. I now see why the Roans have always been my favorite.

Did you do an out and back from Carver's Gap? I bet Roan High Knob shelter would have been nice in the snow. The forest around that shelter is incredible.

Tennessee Viking
12-09-2008, 21:51
I was driving by there around 100pm and it was white white white on the Highlands. I stoped at Boone and it was freaking cold and windy. My car was being pushed all over the road.

Mango
12-09-2008, 21:58
I agree with most of the previous posts. OM shelter was originally built as a working barn with the loft for hay - deliberately constructed with wide spaces between boards for air circulation to reduce chance of spontaneous combustion of hay. Result is that lots of wind gets in the loft. If you have room, you might set up your tent in the loft - stay dry AND cut the wind. Views from OM and the views OF OM from the ridges to the north are spectacular. Have a great weekend.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2008, 22:06
why stay in a drafty-ass barn on a wood floor when the surrounding woods offer great protection in a tent? :-?

Tennessee Viking
12-09-2008, 22:17
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/4/1/6/dscf0372.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23755&original=1&c=member&imageuser=12416)
This was supposedly was the first day of Spring...Dang it was cold

Joey
12-10-2008, 00:34
Did you do an out and back from Carver's Gap? I bet Roan High Knob shelter would have been nice in the snow. The forest around that shelter is incredible.
Yep, started at Carvers and went to OM. There was a small scout group headed up to Roan High Knob Shelter and a few others, so it would have been a miserable trip with that many in one place. The trails were all solid sheets of ice and had to use crampons which made the going a little slow

Joey
12-10-2008, 00:40
why stay in a drafty-ass barn on a wood floor when the surrounding woods offer great protection in a tent? :-?
Gotta point there LW. Actually this was the first time I've been in a shelter in about 2-3 years. I did carry my tent with me, but decided to get into the barn and see what it was like there after all I heard. Did not get disappointed, But I do like bivying out on Grassy Ridge Bald especially on a good clear and cold night. Want to go into your neck of the woods soon, up around Grayson.

Joey
12-10-2008, 00:42
I was driving by there around 100pm and it was white white white on the Highlands. I stoped at Boone and it was freaking cold and windy. My car was being pushed all over the road.
There were some snow drifts above Stan Murray that were almost knee deep. If you thought it was cold in Boone. Should of been on Grassy Ridge Sunday morning!!!!!

Spogatz
12-10-2008, 13:25
Loft poopers eh?

Just Plain Jim
12-10-2008, 16:18
I tented between the barn and the spring last May. That night I saw quite a few lights down in the valley. It looked like a large building :-?. What was I seeing?

Joey
12-10-2008, 18:55
Loft poopers eh?
Yep!! Sorry SOB!! I hope he reads this!!

Creek Dancer
12-17-2008, 10:36
Anybody been up there the last few days? I am wondering about whether ice covered trails from Carvers Gap to Stan Murray are still an issue.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2008, 10:47
shouldn't be. it's been in the 50s and raining for a few days

sheepdog
12-17-2008, 10:54
Stan Murray vs Overmountain is like pitting a pro football* team against a JR varsity highschool team, The pros will win "No contest!"

If nothing else, the view at OverMountain is, well, you can see in the pictures. There is no view at stan murray.

*Well, unless it's the Bengals, then the JV team will "MESS THEM UP" but that's a different story. :D
Not if the pros are the Detroit Lions.

Creek Dancer
12-17-2008, 10:57
That's what I was thinking too Lone Wolf. My friends and I will be starting our trip from there starting after Christmas. In fact, we are hiking into Damascus. Maybe we will see you at Dots!

Tennessee Viking
12-18-2008, 03:51
That's what I was thinking too Lone Wolf. My friends and I will be starting our trip from there starting after Christmas. In fact, we are hiking into Damascus. Maybe we will see you at Dots!Everything should be melted. But keep an eye on the weather for any sudden temperature drops and high winds.

With some good rain, you might be ok with water. Earlier this year, US321 to TN91 was dry.

Cookerhiker
12-25-2008, 13:44
Did a out-and-back day-hike from Carvers Gap to Overmountain Shelter last Saturday. We were lucky in that we avoided rain. It had rained the previous night and rained Saturday night as well. I had passed up the shelter on my section hike over the Roan Highlands back in '85 so I enjoyed seeing it and understand why some feel it has the best perspective of the whole AT. I'm not sure I'd want to stay in it (looks like mouse haven) unless it was pouring rain.

We met a young SOBO hiker who had just started at 19E, intending to hike all the way to Springer and then flipflop back and hike north. His name is Charlie - no trail name yet.

Joey
12-25-2008, 22:23
Had no trouble with the little 4 legged critters when I was there earlier this month. Actually, the most comfy shelter I have stayed in so far. Actually looking at going back there when we have some more snowy weather. Beautiful place in the snow hands down!!