PDA

View Full Version : Help with Montbell sleeping bags

snaplok
12-04-2008, 07:06
I've finally decided that I want to invest in a MB UL Super stretch bag. My problem is that I'm torn between the #2 at 25 deg or the #3 at 30 deg. Is there really a difference between the 2? My main concerns are the difference in price and versatility. I mostly backpack in the early spring to late fall but also like to hike in the winter and I stay in a tent. Weight is becoming more of a necessity these days, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Egads
12-04-2008, 07:50
I think you answered your own question. Get the #2.

Tagless
12-04-2008, 10:29
My wife and I have used both the SS #3 and #2 and found the #2 more comfortable in the winter. It can be partially unzipped in on warmer nights - allowing some versatility.

I agree with Egads. Based on your seasonal camping preferences, and my personal experience, the #2 is a safer bet, unless you are an excessively "warm sleeper."

buz
12-04-2008, 10:49
Ha, finally the perfect thread for me to give personal, tested out advise to.

I purchased the #3, and slept in it at exactly 30 degrees on my garage floor, nice TRest pad. Kept door closed, no wind lol. Regular light base layer, light fleece hat. Wasn't cold, but not warm enough for me, just not warm enough during the night. Returned and got the #2. Same test, was slightly colder, 27 was low. Same clothes, garage, and Trest, lol. Was toasty warm.

The difference in these bags is more than 5 degrees of warm IMO. On the #2 long, the fill weight is over 4 ounces more in the 2 than 3, which is more filling than in the MB Alpine light down parka, a big difference. The 2 has a draft collar, and a much thicker hood, both important for warmth. I like the bag and have camped in it repeatedly in the low 20s and have no warmth issues. For me, was good choice. Big difference in these two bags, temp wise IMO, like 10 degrees.
Also, size on these bags is small, length wise, IMO. I am 6' even, and the long fits perfectly, you could be maybe 6' 2" max for the long. If you are 5'10" or shorter, the regular would be OK, maybe. It is a short bag in regular.

ChinMusic
12-04-2008, 11:39
Anyone got the #0 bag?

I'm looking for a zero and like the idea of the stretch. I have wide shoulders and can feel claustrophobic in most mummy bags when I have to zip them all the way up. I roll over a LOT while sleeping and when the zipper gets under me I get a little "panicky".

JAK
12-04-2008, 11:56
I always get a bit freaked when I can't find my drawstrings in my TNF bag. There are two of them, which is quite common I think, one for the hood and one for the neck. Anyhow its not the biggest hazard in the woods, but it always freaks me out a bit.

While good, I'm not sure the above comparison is objective enough, or is only half the story.
I think people need to figure out two things for themselves...

1. How many inches of loft do I need at 30F, given the clothes/pad/shelter I use normally.
2. How much extra loft do I need for every 10F drop in temperature.
3. How much colder can it be if I wear extra clothes for below normal conditions.
4. How much colder can it be and still eventually get a good nights sleep.
5. How much colder can it be and still survive the night, perhaps without sleep.

OK, that was 5 things, but the first 2 are a good start.

buz
12-04-2008, 12:33
Just farting around on internet, and Backcountry.com has the #2 long on sale for $268, which I think is a really good price.

snaplok
12-04-2008, 12:58
Just farting around on internet, and Backcountry.com has the #2 long on sale for $268, which I think is a really good price.

Thanks all so far for the advice. And thanks for the farting around ;) but I'm going thru Prolitegear.com it's like $10 more but the shipping is free.

I've read on some other forums that there's been stuffing issues with the MB bags, ie not enough or empty baffles. Anyone have any of these issues?
And btw, unless someone can convince me different, I'm going with the #2.

optimator
12-04-2008, 13:01
I have the #2 and love it. I do alot of winter camping so getting the #2 was the way to go for me.

rp1790
12-04-2008, 13:24
I have a #2 and have slept outside in 28 degrees with a micro weight Smartwool top on (no long pants or socks), it was a bit warm so it's 25 degree rating is pretty good. I have also slept in the same bag in 60 degrees and because it opens out well found it to be quite comfortable. Didn't actually sleep in it, kinda draped it over myself.

FatMan
12-04-2008, 13:41
I have the #2 and find the temp rating to be pretty fair. In warmer seasons I open the zipper and use it as a quilt.

JAK
12-04-2008, 14:42
I like the idea of the superstretch, but I would like to crawl into it and see exactly what its like, with and without some clothing. Are the little rubber bands or what?

#1 16oz shell + 20oz x 800fill for $379list
#2 14oz shell + 14oz x 800fill for $324list

I would take either, depending on the best deal I got. The #1 is 6oz heavier, but the #2 seems like it should be adequate. I'm not sure I really like what the superstretch does to the outside shape though, but on the other hand that might make it even better in a bivy sack. I also noticed their regular bag is for 5'10" and their long is 6'4", so at 6' 1/2" I presume would have to move up to their long, even though I get away with regular bags from others. I think its pretty important to keep the surface are minimal, as long as the bag still fits. I would have to try it on of course.

Quoddy
12-04-2008, 16:25
I have 3 different UL Super Stretch Montbells right now... #7, #4, and #0. I consider their temperature ratings spot on. In each I can easily sleep at or slightly below the listed rating while only wearing shorts and a T shirt. They're extremely comfortable and the quality is good, too. BTW, I'm 6'1" and there's no question that I need a long.

buz
12-04-2008, 18:15
snaplok,

My number 3 I returned had some issues, I think, but it is hard to tell. There were a lot of them on top of the bag that seemed very skimpy. My #2 i have now has for sure different fill amounts in some of the pockets, some more, some less. Not real sure it makes a difference, haven't felt it, temp wise anyway. And two of the less filled pockets are right in the middle of the top of the bag, chest zone. If its' really cold, I make sure to move the down from the nearby pockets closer to them, but I think that is just to ease my brain, rather than doing anything constructive, lol.

JAK
12-04-2008, 22:54
I think its good to see a manufacturer that makes 5'10" and 6'4" rather than 6' and 6'6" like everyone else. If they all made the same sizes we wouldn't have as much selection. I like to have a little extra room but not much.

In theory, if you have just 5% more length than you need, and 10% more girth than you need, then you will have to have 15.5% more loft to make up for the extra square footage, and so you will have a bag 25% heavier than it needs to be for the same warmth. Think about that before your next purchase. :)

Egads
12-05-2008, 07:32
Anyone got the #0 bag?

I'm looking for a zero and like the idea of the stretch. I have wide shoulders and can feel claustrophobic in most mummy bags when I have to zip them all the way up. I roll over a LOT while sleeping and when the zipper gets under me I get a little "panicky".

Got a #0 and love it's freedom of movement. I've used it between 11* and 40* w/o any complaints.