PDA

View Full Version : What is the southern end of Appalachians?

Frosty
04-06-2004, 22:03
I know that the Appalachian Mountain range goes sounth beyond Springer, but how far south does it go?

Is there a concensus "southern end" of the chain?

On the northern end, it's a little easier. If you stand on the cliff at Cape Gaspe and take one more step, you fall into the Atlantic Ocean. Okay, that's a pretty definitive end of a mountain range.

In the south though, the mountains just peter out into foothills then plains. So where do the Appalachians end?

Tom

steve hiker
04-06-2004, 22:14
I know that the Appalachian Mountain range goes sounth beyond Springer, but how far south does it go?
I believe Flagg Mountain, Alabama (near Montgomery) is the first point in the Appalachian foothills to top 1,000 feet, on the Pinhoti Trail. Of course there are similar points in Georgia, Tenn, etc.

From a less exact perspective, when I drive to the Appalachians on I-59 the land goes from perfectly flat to gently rolling around Tuscaloosa, then starts to definitely climb right after Birmingham.

So from my direction, Birmingham is the demarcation line from flat Gulf Coast plain to the Appalachians. And how great it feels, when you pass those last Birmingham exits and start to climb, and you're in the mountains now.

Rain Man
04-06-2004, 23:24
On the northern end, it's a little easier. If you stand on the cliff at Cape Gaspe and take one more step, you fall into the Atlantic Ocean. Okay, that's a pretty definitive end of a mountain range.

Actually, if I recall my Pangea geography, the Appalachians pick right back up in Scotland somewhere, don't they?

Rain Man

steve hiker
04-07-2004, 00:44
Actually, if I recall my Pangea geography, the Appalachians pick right back up in Scotland somewhere, don't they?.
They pick back up in Scotland, plow into the Urals, dive beneath the Siberian tundra, shoot back up in Alaska, run alongside the Rockies, and ride the jet stream back to Springer.:jump

Singletrack
04-07-2004, 17:27
Supposedly, the Appalachians end in the South at a Mountain named Flagg Mountain in Alabama. Flagg Mt. is located South of Weogufka, Alabama. Flagg Mt. is approximately 1000 ft. in elevation, and has an old stone fire tower that is being restored. Trail work is in the process to connect Flagg Mt. to the Alabama and Georgia Pinhoti Trails, and the Benton Mckaye Tail on to Springer Mt.

kaytee
04-08-2004, 17:21
Actually, if I recall my Pangea geography, the Appalachians pick right back up in Scotland somewhere, don't they?

Rain Man

After Gaspé they reappear in Newfoundland before they "cross" the ocean. Soon the IAT will continue up to the north end of that provice.

Tater
04-08-2004, 18:52
They pick back up in Scotland, plow into the Urals, dive beneath the Siberian tundra, shoot back up in Alaska, run alongside the Rockies, and ride the jet stream back to Springer.:jump
Now THAT would be some thru-hike.

Frosty
04-08-2004, 20:23
Supposedly, the Appalachians end in the South at a Mountain named Flagg Mountain in Alabama. Flagg Mt. is located South of Weogufka, Alabama. Flagg Mt. is approximately 1000 ft. in elevation, and has an old stone fire tower that is being restored. Trail work is in the process to connect Flagg Mt. to the Alabama and Georgia Pinhoti Trails, and the Benton Mckaye Tail on to Springer Mt.
Thanks Singletrack and Steve Hiker. Looks like Flagg Mtn.

Tom

torch
04-08-2004, 21:42
Now THAT would be some thru-hike.
I challenge anyone to complete that thru-hike without aqua-blazing!

MOWGLI
04-08-2004, 23:24
I was in Tannehill State Historical Park just south of Birmongham, AL a few weeks ago. A sign in the park said "Here lies the geographical end of the Appalachian Mountains".

MedicineMan
04-09-2004, 00:24
what is the name of the trail that will connect Flagg and the Pinhoti?

Jaybird
04-09-2004, 07:12
Is there a concensus "southern end" of the chain?
So where do the Appalachians end?Tom

Flagg Mountain, the last "mountain" in the Appalachian Range over 1,000 feet...(near Weogufka,Alabama) & has a 6.4 mile moderate hike around it.................................BUT,

The Southern Appalachian chain ends on the Cumberland Plateau which extends from East Tennessee into Alabama.

There's some great hiking areas there too: Big South Fork, Stone Door, Grundy, & (my favorite) Fiery Gizzard. :D

Frosty
04-09-2004, 07:23
I was in Tannehill State Historical Park just south of Birmongham, AL a few weeks ago. A sign in the park said "Here lies the geographical end of the Appalachian Mountains".
Interesting. Not disputing their claim, but wonder how that is, with a higher ridge to the east-southeast. I wouldn't think the range would "hook" around.

You wouldn't know any more aobut it, would you? Anyone?

TOm

Singletrack
04-09-2004, 09:21
I am no expert on this, but my understanding, is the trail that connects Flagg Mt. to the Southern trailhead of the Alabama Pinhotti Trail is considered the Alabama Trail. It is a blazed road walk of approximately 50 miles to Porter Gap (Southern Trail head) The Alabama Trail is a road walk that begins on the Florida-Alabama line. It is hiked by those that trek the Key West-Cape Gaspe, via numerous other trails, incuding the AT.

steve hiker
04-09-2004, 11:27
The Southern Appalachian chain ends on the Cumberland Plateau which extends from East Tennessee into Alabama. There's some great hiking areas there too: Big South Fork, Stone Door, Grundy, & (my favorite) Fiery Gizzard. :D
Savage Gulf is outstanding.

Frosty
04-14-2004, 08:25
Flagg Mountain, the last "mountain" in the Appalachian Range over 1,000 feet...(near Weogufka,Alabama) & has a 6.4 mile moderate hike around it.................................BUT,

The Southern Appalachian chain ends on the Cumberland Plateau which extends from East Tennessee into Alabama. :D

Are you serious? Springer then is not part of the Appalachians?

Tom

Jaybird
04-14-2004, 09:10
Are you serious? Springer then is not part of the Appalachians?Tom

Tom

The Appalachians (or Appalachian Mountains System...runs from Canada to Alabama & consists of many Mountain "ranges"

ranges included in the Appalachians

Allegheny Mountains

Black Mountains

Blue Ridge

Catskill Mountains

Cumberland Plateau

Great Smoky Mountains

Green Mountains

Taconic Range

White Mountains (northeastern United States)

Technically speaking, Springer Mtn is considered to be in the
Blue Ridge Mountains. which run alongside the Black Mountains, which
run by the Smoky Mountains which......etc.,etc.,etc. .....
but, you are still correct in saying that Springer Mtn IS in the Appalachians!:D

Frosty
04-14-2004, 16:08
Tom

The Appalachians (or Appalachian Mountains System...runs from Canada to Alabama & consists of many Mountain "ranges"

Technically speaking, Springer Mtn is considered to be in the
Blue Ridge Mountains. which run alongside the Black Mountains, which
run by the Smoky Mountains which......etc.,etc.,etc. .....
but, you are still correct in saying that Springer Mtn IS in the Appalachians!:D

Thanks. I had thoght of the Appalachian Mtns as a range, but now that you point out the other mountain ranges (Whites, Green, etc) I see that what I think of as the Appalachians is more a system. (Using WHITEBLAZE.NET as an analogy, the Appalachians are a forum, the Smokies, Whites, etc are sub-forums).

Back to my original question, there may not be a definitive answer. Flagg Mtn is good using the arbitrary 1000 ft mark as the last "mountain" to prevent using bumps in the prairie as the end of the range. But you say there are other mtns south of Flagg that come down into Alabama from Tennessee vice Georgia? DO they swing west of Montgomery? Pardon my ignorance - I'm not very familiar with the southern part of the US (which I define as Connecticut on down).

TOm

steve hiker
04-14-2004, 23:17
Flagg Mtn is good using the arbitrary 1000 ft mark as the last "mountain" to prevent using bumps in the prairie as the end of the range. But you say there are other mtns south of Flagg that come down into Alabama from Tennessee vice Georgia? DO they swing west of Montgomery?
With Springer Mountain at 3,700 feet, obviously there are points south of there in Georgia that could (arbitrarily) be defined as the "beginning" of the Appalachians. In addition to Flagg Mountain in Alabama, which is just north of Montgomery.

In fact, Atlanta is over 1,000 feet, so by that standard Atlanta is in the Appalachian Mountains.

From my perspective in south Louisiana, the Appalachians begin just past Birmingham on I-59, when the land begins to rise markedly.