PDA

View Full Version : Best shoes for PCT

Just Jack
12-04-2008, 20:43
Trying to get everything organized to do the PCT in '09. Still trying to
decide which shoes--trail runners to wear. Would be interested in hearing
what Brand-model seemed to work the best this past year.Would be interested in hearing
about comfort, traction, and durability. I guess the question would also apply
to the AT. Thanks for the help.

Screech
12-04-2008, 20:56
I hiked the first with a set of boots the first half and just regular DC skate shoes from then on. I preffered the skate shoes. If I had the money I would have bought some nice goretex trail shoes, but whatever works.

It depends on your feet, but if you think you wouldnt like boots, just use shoes.

Screech
12-04-2008, 21:01
im sorry I read to quick and thought this was a boots VS shoes thing.

A lot of people like a lot of different thing.

One thing I consistently noticed on the AT this year was that everyone hate their salomon's because they shedded too quickly.

taildragger
12-04-2008, 21:19
Ventilated trail runners that fit properly (make sure that they don't have too much slide in any direction).

Some wear boots, I don't think my feet could have taken the heat though.

garlic08
12-04-2008, 21:35
The New Balance 8XX series is a favorite for many, since they are sold in three different widths, and are very light. The current model is the 811, I think.

TwoForty
12-04-2008, 21:50
I went into a large sporting goods store and tried on every running shoes with a lot of mesh that I could find. I bought the one that fit best in a full size larger. They worked great for the first 265 miles until I quit. Trust me, you want a lot of mesh. Of course, this means more sand and prickly things, but oh well. Beats blisters.
I would say that after 350 miles or so, I would have wanted a new pair of running shoes. The support structure starts to break down and they start to flex a little too much.

Out of the desert, trail runners work great.

Sly
12-04-2008, 21:56
Light and airy. Through the Sierra you may want a stiff sole to kick steps in snow.

A-Train
12-04-2008, 21:56
The lightest most comfy breathable running sneakers you can find for the first 700 miles (Asics, New Balance, Mizuno, Brooks are most popular on the PCT). Inov8's are also very light and breathable.

Some use trailrunners like the Montrail Hardrocks but I'd hold off until Kennedy Meadows. The desert can do a number on your feet. Take care of them!

rafe
12-04-2008, 21:58
So with those light, airy shoes and that Sierra dust, your feet turn black, right? I just wanna know if that's MO on the PCT.

Sly
12-04-2008, 22:00
So with those light, airy shoes and that Sierra dust, your feet turn black, right? I just wanna know if that's MO on the PCT.

Not black, but plenty dirty. (it's a hiker thing) Better than hot feet, or worse, blisters

taildragger
12-04-2008, 22:38

If you spit on the dirt, thats about the colour that my feet would look like at the end of the day

mts4602
12-04-2008, 22:41
The lightest most comfy breathable running sneakers you can find for the first 700 miles (Asics, New Balance, Mizuno, Brooks are most popular on the PCT). Inov8's are also very light and breathable.

Some use trailrunners like the Montrail Hardrocks but I'd hold off until Kennedy Meadows. The desert can do a number on your feet. Take care of them!

So are you saying you would recommend running shoes in the desert and then maybe trail runners from kennedy meadows on?

mts4602
12-04-2008, 22:46
I don't mean to keep changing the topic, but I'm looking for the same thing.

The shoes, for the PCT, how much bigger of a shoe should you get?

Mags
12-04-2008, 22:46
So are you saying you would recommend running shoes in the desert and then maybe trail runners from kennedy meadows on?

Be it trail runners or sneakers, make sure the shoes have enough ventilation.

Running shoes do tend have enough ventilation and work well for the desert environment. When I did the PCT, I used Nike Air Pegs FWIW well into the Sierra.

A-Train
12-04-2008, 22:52
I don't mean to keep changing the topic, but I'm looking for the same thing.

The shoes, for the PCT, how much bigger of a shoe should you get?

One could switch to trail runners. The lug soles will do a little better if the Sierra snow is high. My year there was virtually none, so I continued using Brooks trail runners.

Many hiked the whol trail in runners and were fine. If something is working, stay with it.

The size thing is difficult. Some people's feet don't swell as much as others. I'd hate to buy a size up and be swimming around in them. You may have to adjust from the trail. Have extra money for shoes, you'll thank yourself later.

taildragger
12-04-2008, 22:54

Depends on your foot and snow. I used the NB 790 series for about a week this summer on the trail, and then back here. I personally prefer the Salomon X pros for warm hiking where there isn't too much rock, but real rocky areas left my wanting more in these shoes (I blew them out before I hit the PCT).

I'd just use a running shoe or a trail runner with good inserts. If its going to be a high snow year, maybe something with a stiff sole for the sierras like sly said (kicking steps with running shoes sucks)

Dogwood
12-04-2008, 22:59
Trying to get everything organized to do the PCT in '09. Still trying to
decide which shoes--trail runners to wear. Would be interested in hearing
what Brand-model seemed to work the best this past year.Would be interested in hearing
about comfort, traction, and durability. I guess the question would also apply
to the AT. Thanks for the help.

I'm going to give U a good piece of advice and I don't want U to take it the wrong way. The more focused U can make your question the more directed the replies will be. Not trying to make things complex or be an a hole.

What worked best for one might may not be right for another. I can think of no other time when this is more true than when selecting hiking shoes. Hiking shoes R such an individual piece of gear. No two pairs of feet R the same. For example, it makes it easier and less time consuming for all involved if U could share info like what type of feet U have(flat feet, high arch, wide forefoot, pronate, supinate, etc). It makes no sense to recommend a pair of trailrunners for the desert sections of the PCT that worked great for me if those shoes R not made to properly fit your type of feet. It makes no sense of recommending a waterproof shoe for Washington if U have already decided U don't want or need WP shoes. See my pt.?

I tell U all this because I want U to have the trailrunner that serves U best. And, despite having dialed in your pack, shelter, sleeping system, clothing, etc, if your dogs aren't happy U R not hiking happy!

fiddlehead
12-05-2008, 00:25
Montrail Vitesse is the one for me.
I get them 2 sizes too big and they last 1500 miles.
Have fun!

Just Jack
12-05-2008, 00:38
Thanks for asking for the question to be more focused. Guess I was hoping that there
was a magic answer. At the very least I was looking for several brands/models of
trail runners-hiking shoes-low cuts to begin the search with. Or in the alternative--
several brands to definitely not buy. There are just so many brands with all their different models that I was trying to simplify the search. I live in a small town that doesn't have a large selection. I do have high arches and a problem with pronating.

Sly
12-05-2008, 01:29
I do have high arches and a problem with pronating.

You'll probably want to look at custom or moldable insoles.

http://www.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/softec/ultra/

What size foot you have? I have a size 11 that are new.

neighbor dave
12-05-2008, 06:47
:-?i used montrail hardrocks, 1/2 size bigger in the "wide" version. plenty of room, and plenty cool enough for me. switched to some nb806's in siead valley because there were no montrails available anywhere. the 806's went the 1000 miles to the swath:-?

neighbor dave
12-05-2008, 06:54
:-? p.s. i usually wore my shoes loose enough where i could just slip 'em on and off with 'em tied. too tight and you'll get blisters for sure. i find that with a pack on, normal size shoes can feel tight. :-?

yappy
12-05-2008, 10:06
I gotta 2nd the montrails. i have had really good luck with them. Nb makes a great shoe too though.

Just Jack
12-05-2008, 12:54
Let me add a bit more to my can of worms. In '07 I started the AT at size 9. By the time I got to Franklin I had to buy size 10--which was the finishing size. My question for those of you that have done numerous thru's or a lot of long distance hiking--do your feet continue to grow-expand or do they just swell and come back to a constant size?
I realize everybody's feet are different. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect.
Thanks again for your time.

Jim Adams
12-05-2008, 15:48
Vasque Breeze in non- goretex. Coolest, lightest, most ventilated boot that I've ever worn. Lasted 1,000 miles of the PCT and still looked and worked great. Not one blister or hot spot in 1,000 miles.
My Salomon's work great also as did Boudin's...he didn't even have to tie his Salomons and had no blisters.

geek

fiddlehead
12-05-2008, 16:47
Let me add a bit more to my can of worms. In '07 I started the AT at size 9. By the time I got to Franklin I had to buy size 10--which was the finishing size. My question for those of you that have done numerous thru's or a lot of long distance hiking--do your feet continue to grow-expand or do they just swell and come back to a constant size?
I realize everybody's feet are different. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect.
Thanks again for your time.

I did thru-hikes most years between '95 and 2002.
My feet grew in 2 years to size 11 1/2 or 12. (from a 9 originally) (although i wore 13's cause i like em plenty big)

Now, i haven't hiked since 2004 except for a few short hikes so my feet went back and now i wear a 10 1/2.

I would not call it feet swelling. More like feet growing (i believe the bones and everything gets bigger)
(My feet didn't swell after the 1st thru-hike)

Hope that helps answer your question.

rafe
12-05-2008, 17:30
Vasque Breeze in non- goretex. Coolest, lightest, most ventilated boot that I've ever worn. Lasted 1,000 miles of the PCT and still looked and worked great. Not one blister or hot spot in 1,000 miles.
My Salomon's work great also as did Boudin's...he didn't even have to tie his Salomons and had no blisters.

geek

They're good, comfy boots -- I used 'em on my AT section in 2006 and they're still in use, from time to time. One problem: they're wet. Walk for 5 minutes in dewy grass and they're soaked through.

yappy
12-05-2008, 18:58
I like em plenty big too. I usually go about 1.5 sizes up.My feet don't change much either anymore. They now look like little fins.. ah well..

handlebar
12-05-2008, 23:03
I thought I'd make my case for boots. Almost everyone hikes in trail runners - Montrail Hardrocks, New Balance,Brooks, and Solomon are common brands. A few hikers still swear by boots.

Whatever you hike in, make sure it fits you at the heel and has lots of room in the toebox. Then expect that your feet will swell in the first 500 miles or so up to Kennedy Meadows. You're going to need a shoe 1 full US size or more bigger than you normally wear. Be sure to try on boots/measure your feet at the end of the day when your feet have swollen. My hiking buddy from Campo to Cajon Pass, Hatchet, had a pair of mid-height trail runner/boot things that were sized to fit him before he hit the trail. He was miserable for weeks and by the time we came into Big Bear City, he was hiking in flip-flops. He got new shoes at Big Bear Lake a size and a half bigger and was in heaven. I found my feet grew on the AT about a full size, but did not grow any more on the PCT.

My boots were definitely an aberration. I hiked in big, relatively heavy hiking boots (LaSportiva Makalus) which I got on Ebay for $75---virtually brand new. (Of course I knew what size to buy; I've been backpacking in these for years.) My Makalus made it all the way on the AT and the second pair made it all the way on the PCT except for Ashland OR to Sisters OR when I tried hiking in Montrail Hardrocks (though I hiked with a hole clean through the Vibram sole about 1" x 2" for the last 150 miles.) I got that same pair of boots resoled by Dave, the Cobbler in Seattle at the end of my hike and am planning to use them again when I tackle the CDT. To me they are comfortable, even for 32 miles which was my longest day. When I switched to the Hardrocks, I got major blisters on the outside edges of both heels, but after about a week, they callused over and were OK except that my feet really ached after doing only low 20 mile days. I did notice my feet felt lighter, but I was so glad to get my boots back out of my bounce bucket in Sisters! I don't think the aching was due to overweight pack, though, at best, I'm a light weight backpacker. My total pack weight coming out of towns was about 30-35 pounds with 5 days food, alcohol and about 2 liters of water. I carried up to 6 liters of water in the desert sections as I went through early and couldn't count on caches or out-of-date water reports. I did use all that water more than once.

In the hot desert sections I swapped out my socks two or more times a day, hanging the sweaty pair on my pack with safety pins to dry and putting on the a pair that had dried overnight or on the pack. I noticed that the thick Vibram sole and hiking weight Smartwools insulated my feet from the hot sand. I did wind up putting on my camp shoes (crocs with bearbag cord laces) for any fords that looked like they'd overflow the boots. There were many with rocks only about 2" submerged under the water surface that I could walk across on. Many hiking in trail runners, just walked right through the fords and put up with wet feet; others did then swapped in dry(er) socks. The trail runners dry out really fast and don't absorb as much water as boots. If boots get thoroughly soaked, they hold a lot of water weight. You'd be surprised how often you can stuff a pair of socks into them and then wring them out. I was amazed at how dirty my feet got in the trail runners even in OR, while in boots they stayed quite clean. You'll need about 5 pair of trail runners to complete the trail as their support tends to break down -- that's about $500 vs. $75 for my one pair of boots.

What Dogwood said, If your feet aren't happy, you won't be happy, but there's not a one size fits all solution to the footwear issue.

George
12-05-2008, 23:23
my feet have stayed a half size larger in the last 5 years hiking in mesh runners. I gave away 6 pair of new and little used work and hiking boots in the old size

Jim Adams
12-06-2008, 01:43
They're good, comfy boots -- I used 'em on my AT section in 2006 and they're still in use, from time to time. One problem: they're wet. Walk for 5 minutes in dewy grass and they're soaked through.
You will NOT have that problem on the PCT!

geek

Dogwood
12-06-2008, 03:20
Thanks for asking for the question to be more focused. Guess I was hoping that there
was a magic answer. At the very least I was looking for several brands/models of
trail runners-hiking shoes-low cuts to begin the search with. Or in the alternative--
several brands to definitely not buy. There are just so many brands with all their different models that I was trying to simplify the search. I live in a small town that doesn't have a large selection. I do have high arches and a problem with pronating.

Wow, JustJack, U got some good feedback from the associates in the shoe Dept. at Hiker Trash Outfitters. U R fortunate to have heard from such a wide range of seasoned hikers. No joke! U should at least consider some of what they said! As I'm also an associate at the same store I'll weigh in my 2 cents.

If U R going lite/UL through the desert, which I definitely recommend, definitely be aiming for light, comfy, and breathable(sounds like an echo in this tread) for the first 700 miles or so with an awareness that U may have to hike in snow/ice over San Jacinto and Baden-Powell in them. Definitely, don't buy desert shoes with an upper entirely made of leather;they just R not going to breathe enough. Consider wearing shortie gaiters like those made from Lycra by Dirty Girl. They help keep the sand and debris out and will give a little more protection from all those sticky grabby plants that inhabit the desert. Consider carrying a small amt. of Hydropel or Body Glide anti-friction balm/lotion/cream. Think highly wicking cushony socks. I like the original, Adrenaline Mid wt. and PhD Smartwools and Durasock. Sometimes, I'll add a sock liner for better cushioning and, most of all, to increase the wicking action. Bring two pairs of socks, so U can keep switching them out.

I bought six new pairs of trailrunners (4 different models) for the PCT. I wore them all a little bit before I planned on using them on the PCT. Depending on what last minute conditions I faced I could change what type of shoe I wanted shipped to me. For the desert I used light, cushioned, highly ventilated(there it is again) Vasque Amps for my high arch/wide forefoot/neutral to slight supinator feet(under pronator). I switched to Vasque Velocity XCR just before KM because I knew I would have to walk extensively in snow/ice. I wanted warmer dryer better tractioned shoes once I hit the Sierras.

I know Asics, Brooks, Vasque, New Balance, and Innov manufacture joggers/trailrunners for people with high arches that tend to under pronate. The easiest way I find to dial in support for my high arches is to add Sole or Superfeet orthotics. I rarely find the stock inserts to be any good. I look for trailrunners that R stable throughout or R labeled for stability. Some of the shoes that I like for stability and that suit my high volume/high instep feet R made by Vasque, New Balance, Montrail, and Keene. I look for a solid heel cup. My heel should be snuggly craddled, but not overly tight. If it doesn't feel right in the store while U R walking up and down the incline it probably isn't going to feel right on the trail.

Even though I had worn size 12 for many yrs. I have gone from a size 12 trailrunner in 06 to size 13-14 in 08 due to all the hiking I've done. Yes, my feet do swell, but, like already stated, I think its more that they grew since I was on them so often. Just this yr., despite having changed nothing in my hiking style the size 13 shoes that I had shipped to me in Ashland OR no longer fit. Hatchet, another PCTer(previously mentioned by Handlebar) benefitted from that situation; he got my new $125 trailrunners for $50!

CARPE DIEM! Have a Great Hike!

Just Jack
12-06-2008, 14:14
Just wanted to say a big "thank you" to all that have contributed. This has been very helpful. Anybody else have thoughts or ideas--please check in. Hope to see some of
you folks up the trail.

A-Train
12-06-2008, 15:54
I thought I'd make my case for boots. Almost everyone hikes in trail runners - Montrail Hardrocks, New Balance,Brooks, and Solomon are common brands. A few hikers still swear by boots.

Whatever you hike in, make sure it fits you at the heel and has lots of room in the toebox. Then expect that your feet will swell in the first 500 miles or so up to Kennedy Meadows. You're going to need a shoe 1 full US size or more bigger than you normally wear. Be sure to try on boots/measure your feet at the end of the day when your feet have swollen. My hiking buddy from Campo to Cajon Pass, Hatchet, had a pair of mid-height trail runner/boot things that were sized to fit him before he hit the trail. He was miserable for weeks and by the time we came into Big Bear City, he was hiking in flip-flops. He got new shoes at Big Bear Lake a size and a half bigger and was in heaven. I found my feet grew on the AT about a full size, but did not grow any more on the PCT.

My boots were definitely an aberration. I hiked in big, relatively heavy hiking boots (LaSportiva Makalus) which I got on Ebay for $75---virtually brand new. (Of course I knew what size to buy; I've been backpacking in these for years.) My Makalus made it all the way on the AT and the second pair made it all the way on the PCT except for Ashland OR to Sisters OR when I tried hiking in Montrail Hardrocks (though I hiked with a hole clean through the Vibram sole about 1" x 2" for the last 150 miles.) I got that same pair of boots resoled by Dave, the Cobbler in Seattle at the end of my hike and am planning to use them again when I tackle the CDT. To me they are comfortable, even for 32 miles which was my longest day. When I switched to the Hardrocks, I got major blisters on the outside edges of both heels, but after about a week, they callused over and were OK except that my feet really ached after doing only low 20 mile days. I did notice my feet felt lighter, but I was so glad to get my boots back out of my bounce bucket in Sisters! I don't think the aching was due to overweight pack, though, at best, I'm a light weight backpacker. My total pack weight coming out of towns was about 30-35 pounds with 5 days food, alcohol and about 2 liters of water. I carried up to 6 liters of water in the desert sections as I went through early and couldn't count on caches or out-of-date water reports. I did use all that water more than once.

In the hot desert sections I swapped out my socks two or more times a day, hanging the sweaty pair on my pack with safety pins to dry and putting on the a pair that had dried overnight or on the pack. I noticed that the thick Vibram sole and hiking weight Smartwools insulated my feet from the hot sand. I did wind up putting on my camp shoes (crocs with bearbag cord laces) for any fords that looked like they'd overflow the boots. There were many with rocks only about 2" submerged under the water surface that I could walk across on. Many hiking in trail runners, just walked right through the fords and put up with wet feet; others did then swapped in dry(er) socks. The trail runners dry out really fast and don't absorb as much water as boots. If boots get thoroughly soaked, they hold a lot of water weight. You'd be surprised how often you can stuff a pair of socks into them and then wring them out. I was amazed at how dirty my feet got in the trail runners even in OR, while in boots they stayed quite clean. You'll need about 5 pair of trail runners to complete the trail as their support tends to break down -- that's about $500 vs. $75 for my one pair of boots.

What Dogwood said, If your feet aren't happy, you won't be happy, but there's not a one size fits all solution to the footwear issue.

Wow, hiking the entire PCT in Makalu's-that is really impressive!

Dogwood
12-06-2008, 16:16
Yeah, A-Train it's impressive, but did U know Handlebar has recently changed his name to Eight Toed Ted and has a La Sportiva tattoo across his ass?

clured
12-06-2008, 22:41
Over the course of the last few weeks I've been putting together a PCT09 gearlist, and I've been mulling this over too. I'm really, really attached to my Montrail Hardrocks (they fit my feet perfectly) - under normal conditions, I never never ever get blisters in them, but in the past people have posted on this forum that trailrunners aren't ventilated enough.

But it sounds like people have used them successfully? I'm hestitant to use a running shoe like Mizunto/Brooks/Asics; those shoes are designed specifically for the footfall of a running stride, which is very different from walking. Also, they tend to have very chiselled edges on the soles (the designers assume that you are running on a flat, artifical surface), which means that the risk for ankle injuries goes up.

My inclination is to say with what works for me - anyone know where the first shoe store on the trail is, in case I get chafed to a pulp in the first week or so?

Mags
12-06-2008, 23:14
My inclination is to say with what works for me -

That's the best advice of all.

I know people who have used Hardrocks on the PCT (even at the start).

Go with what works. Why mess with success? If you do the chunk of the CDT as planned, you may have a good test run.

If need be, IIRC there is a small outdoor store in Idyllwild. I distinctly remember buying sneakers in Big Bear City (well, the town just up the road actually reachable by a quick bus ride).

Dogwood
12-07-2008, 01:41
Over the course of the last few weeks I've been putting together a PCT09 gearlist, and I've been mulling this over too. I'm really, really attached to my Montrail Hardrocks (they fit my feet perfectly) - under normal conditions, I never never ever get blisters in them, but in the past people have posted on this forum that trailrunners aren't ventilated enough.

But it sounds like people have used them successfully? I'm hestitant to use a running shoe like Mizunto/Brooks/Asics; those shoes are designed specifically for the footfall of a running stride, which is very different from walking. Also, they tend to have very chiselled edges on the soles (the designers assume that you are running on a flat, artifical surface), which means that the risk for ankle injuries goes up.

My inclination is to say with what works for me - anyone know where the first shoe store on the trail is, in case I get chafed to a pulp in the first week or so?

All valid pts. I love the older style(I believe 06 and previous versions) Montrail Hardrocks. With Superfeet orthotics, they fit my feet my feet perfectly. I have never gotten a blister in them either. If I could find more of them in size 13 and 14 at sale prices I would buy 6 pairs. I don't wear the "improved" "newly redesigned" versions because they fit my feet differently. I believe the newer version is made on a different last utilizing different materials in the upper. This may make them a bit more breathable than the older style. Not that the older versions were particularly hot or non-breathable. I used them on several 3-7 day hikes in the hot southwest. I used them on the PCT(one of the six pairs of shoes I bought for the PCT), but not for extended periods of hot desert hiking across the Mojave Dessert. But, hey, if they work for U go for it!

I know U can find hiking/gear stores(including an REI) in Northridge that can be accessed from the Saufleys in Agua Dulce. I would also imagine shoe stores geared towards hikers can be found in Lancaster.

Chickety
12-07-2008, 12:37
Clured - I went through 3 pairs of Hardrocks with no problems this past year. Though by the time we got to Agua Dulce and I put on my new pair of size 9s.......they were too small, so I ordered a pair of 9.5 Wide and they were perfect.
There are lots of shoes out there with more ventilation, but I have always been happy with the Hardrocks and wanted to stick with them, my feet were plenty dirty at the end of the day, so I know air/dirt was getting in somehow. Whatever works!!

MOWGLI
12-07-2008, 13:05
I have only hiked in the Sierra, so bear that in mind. I wore New Balance in 2006 and Brooks in 2008. Both served me well. The New Balance were less expensive, and don't seem to have as stiff or durable a sole as the Brooks.

Good luck - whatever you choose. I'm hoping to do the PCT by 2012 - or sooner.

clured
12-07-2008, 13:25
Chickety, Mags, and Dogwood-

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I'm really glad that I'll be able to wear the Hardrocks - I feel immortal in those things. Even if my feet get tender in the heat, I figure that if the shoes don't rub anywhere in the first place there can't be a problem!

-dave

handlebar
12-07-2008, 19:59
Yeah, A-Train it's impressive, but did U know Handlebar has recently changed his name to Eight Toed Ted and has a La Sportiva tattoo across his ass?

No, I don't and I can prove it. See this x-rated picture that Terri Anderson took of my derriere: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=326243:p

handlebar
12-07-2008, 20:01

I'd say if the Montrails work for you, stay with 'em. That's part of the reason I stuck with my Makalus (though I did experiment with the Hardrocks).

Dogwood
12-07-2008, 23:01
No, I don't and I can prove it. See this x-rated picture that Terri Anderson took of my derriere: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=326243:p

LOL! The last thing anyone wants to see is your pimply wrinkled tatooed arse. How much is LaSportiva paying U for the shameless advertising?

buz
12-08-2008, 10:23
I will second or third the group that is in the "if it works, don't change it" for your feet, unless there is some very compelling reason, IE heat/desert like pct beginning, and you go to is some boot with goretex in it, that would obviously be not good. For me, a perfect fit is the vasque breeze boots, 10.5 size. I wear them everywhere, and have 3 pair, one gortex. I can cover all my hiking needs, and my feet thank me.

Just Jack
12-20-2008, 12:09
I made a choice. Bought a pair of Asics Trabuco's. For you folks in central North Carolina--I went to 9th St. Active Feet in Durham, NC. That was a stretch for a guy with Chapel Hill loyalties. The people there are very professional. As I mentioned earlier, I started my AT hike in 2007 as a size 9.
Finished my hike in Dec '07 at I thought a size 10. These new shoes are a
size 11. I would have needed a size 11 in all the other brands that I tried.
Point being--it seems that my foot has continued to grow after coming off the trail. All you hikers should closely monitor your shoe size--especially if you are having foot problems. It just may be that your feet are growing. Wore the Asics for a hour on the treadmill--no break in needed. In fact-- no hot spots. I liked them mostly for the fact that they seem to have a natural "rocker" motion. I am wondering now how much bigger my feet will grow when I get on the trail this spring. Thanks to everybody for your input.

Sly
12-20-2008, 12:50
I am wondering now how much bigger my feet will grow when I get on the trail this spring. Thanks to everybody for your input.

I doubt they'll get much bigger, attleast I didn't notice after my first long hike. Since you got size 11 I'll bring the insoles, I mentioned earlier, to the SoRuck. They'll really cool. You put them in a microwave for two minutes, then in the shoes, so they form to your feet.

Erik The Black
12-20-2008, 13:57
My FAVORITE PCT hiking shoes are Merrell Moab Ventilators (http://www.rei.com/product/748515)

I used three pairs of these on my 2007 PCT thru-hike and I liked them so much that when I got home I bought another pair which I wear every day as my normal shoes. They are so comfortable! I'm wearing them right now as I post this. Here is what they look like...

http://www.vabootery.com/shop/images/Merrell-Moab.jpg

This is why I like about them so much:

They come in big & wide sizes. My feet are size 13 super-duper wide. Imagine "Donald Duck Goes Scuba Diving" ;) Now the Merrells are available in just plain "Wide", but unlike other so-called "wide" shoes that are barely wider than normal (like Montrail Hardrocks) the Merrell wides are actually really wide!

They are cheap. $75 bucks apiece last time I checked.

They are tough and last a long time. I got 900 miles out of each pair. They probably would have gone another 300 if I wanted to push it. But I bought three pairs before I left so that's how many pairs I used. That beats replacing shoes 5 or 6 times though like some thru hikers had to.

They are breathable. Now they aren't quite as breathable as some of the lighter-duty running-type shoes like New Balances or Hardrocks, but there is a lot of mesh on them so they are pretty breathable. I wore them through the desert and never had any problems with breathability.

Some things you might not like about them:

They are a little heavier than some of the lighter-duty trail shoes.

There is not a lot of cushion in the sole or the mid-sole of these shoes. You will want to add some nice insoles (NOT SUPERFEET ...which are hard as a rock).

My favorite insoles are the Montrail Enduro Soles (http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=140&prod=88). They have the same arched foot support as the Super-Feet (which I hate with every fiber of my being... and believe me, I've tried every "color" in the rainbow) but they also provide cushioning that molds to your foot (no need to heat them up like recommended, just walk on them and they will start to form naturally). I didn't discover these insoles until I stopped into a little running store in Ashland, OR.. after 1,700 miles of Superfeet hell... and boy what a difference they made!

They might not fit your feet. I've found that every brand of shoe has a different "fit" and it doesn't really matter what features a certain shoe has. What's more important is that the shape of that particular shoe fits your feet. The way I discovered these does is by going to REI and spending all afternoon trying on every single shoe on the rack until I found one that just fit right.

My Advice:

Try on a ton of shoes until you find the one that feels right for your foot. You'll know when you find it. It's like falling in love. You just know ;)

Then, make sure to get 1-2 full sizes larger than you normally wear, and get the WIDE version... even if you don't have wide feet now. Your feet will swell up so much in the desert you won't believe it. You can always lace up a wide shoe real tightly to fit a narrow foot, but there is nothing you can do to make a narrow shoe accommodate a wide, bloated foot.

Sly
12-20-2008, 14:05
Hey Eric! How's it going? Hope you don't mind, I posted your junk food diet.

PS I also like Merrell's

Erik The Black
12-20-2008, 14:29
Hey Sly,

It's going good. I finally decided to crawl out of my cave where I've been slaving away on the PCT Atlas and join a few online hiking communities (this one and the PCT-L) so I can yack it up a bit with you guys. Thanks for posting the junkfood article, that was a lot of fun to write ;)

clured
02-11-2009, 01:07
PCT'ers,

Anyone know anything about these boys:

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx?prod=118&cat=110&top=1

On paper they look pretty perfect for the PCT no? Lightweight but firm, and look at all that mesh! Anyone tried them?

PS Erik - I just ordered the Atlas! Can't wait to get my hands on it. It looks fantastic.

Dogwood
02-11-2009, 03:37
I want to see them in the store and try them on for myself. I have them on my shoes to try on list. My initial impressions is that they look well ventilated and R obviously quite lite wt. They may very well work for U.