PDA

View Full Version : NC/Tenn. to central Virginia

mellow
04-07-2004, 00:12
Hello all,

Thinking about planning a trip from NC/Tenn to my home in blacksburg Virginia, during the month of june. Are there any recommendations for starting points, I'd really like to see the smoky mtns. I'd like to spend somewhere around 15 days on the hike, andI prefer to come from the south to blacksburg. Thanks for any info.

Lugnut
04-07-2004, 00:52
You want to do the Smoky's to Blacksburg in 15 days? That may be pushing it. Others may have a different opinion but I don't see it happening.

mellow
04-07-2004, 09:15
I guess I should have stated it differently. How about, if I were planning a 15 day hike between those two spots, where would I want to make sure I hit? I think I'd really like to see the smoky's, are there any spots in southern va. that would be as nice, or should I just plan on getting picked up further south? Anyone advice for this section would be great. thanks.

chris
04-07-2004, 09:59
Probably the single best day or two (depending on hiking rate) is north of Erwin, TN in the Roan Highlands (Balds, Humps, etc). Depending on quickly you hike, you could hike from Erwin to Blacksburg in 15 days. Or, you might back up and hike from Hot Springs, NC to Damascus, getting to take in Max Patch (the lump, not the poster) as well. There is Greyhound service close to Damascus in Abingdon. I'm not sure about Hot Springs or Erwin, but either of those towns would not be hard to get out of. Erwin is semi-close to Johnson City, which has a depot.

If you came in very (!) strong, you could hike from Fontana Dam (south end of Smokys) to Damascus. Trouble is, public transit access to Fontana is tough. Instead, you could get to Gatlinburg, hitch into the park at Newfound Gap(about the middle of it) and hike north, but you'd still need to be able to hike 20 mile days comfortably. You would miss Rocky Top, the Narrows, and Clingman's Dome, but you would still get the Sawteeth, Charlies Bunion, the fabulous ridge between Icewater and Pecks, and Mount Cammerer. Add to that places like Max Patch, Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain, Big Bald (I actually don't know what it looks like, as I was in a white out, in May!), and the Roan Highlands. Distance would be on the order of 250 miles. Hot Springs to Damascus would be about 190 miles. Fontana to Damascus is a little under 300 miles.

Moon Monster
04-07-2004, 12:46
Chris' idea is a fine idea, but I'd suggest the Grayson Highlands are also a fine place to tack on (they would be on your second day north of Damascus probably)--but, if you live in B'burg, you can always hit it on a weekend some other time. Big Bald is fabulous in nice weather--almost everything Chris mentions is visible from that one view. To me, if I had 15 days, I wouldn't go north of Grayson, I'd stay mostly in NC/Tenn. To me, Grayson is the only thing in SW Virginia that is as nice as the Smokies through the Humps.

mellow
04-11-2004, 21:17
Hey guys,

I've been gone for a few days, thanks for all the good info. Given the amount of time I have I'm going to plan on hiking around 200 miles. Would you say the section from Max Patch to Damascus is a pretty good trip? Would it be more enjoyable to go from Fontana and head north about 200 miles (to around Roan area)? I will be hiking south to north, in the middle or june. I'm in pretty good shape, and am hoping to make just under 20 miles a day with the exception of maybe a day or two spent day tripping somewhere. Of the two sections above, which do you guys think would be the most appealing? Thanks for all the help.

Groucho
04-11-2004, 22:24
Hey guys,

Would you say the section from Max Patch to Damascus is a pretty good trip? Would it be more enjoyable to go from Fontana and head north about 200 miles (to around Roan area)? Of the two sections above, which do you guys think would be the most appealing? Thanks for all the help.

Either trip would be good, but I'd say for 200 mi, start at Newfound Gap and hike to Laurel Falls, just past Dennis Cove. The N half of the park is my favorite, and this way you get to go over the Roan Highlands and the relo after 19E. Good, but steep side trips in Smokies for some chilly creek dipping in summer.

bobgessner57
04-11-2004, 22:35
Mellow. Either trip would be good but a couple of thoughts. Max Patch is accessible by road but is quite remote. Max Patch is south of Hot Springs. It would be easier to catch that section by starting at major trail junctions such as Davenport (I-40) or one of the other Smokies starts such as Newfound Gap, Clingmans Dome or Fontana.

The Laurel Fork Gorge north of Roan is nice and Grayson Highlands is sweet, too.

No matter where you start and end it seems there are some great spots just a short distance away. Twenty miles/day through this area in general is possible but there are some stiff climbs in spots and a lot of great spots to soak up the scenery to the detriment of the mph.

mellow
04-12-2004, 13:28
Hey again,

I think I'm going hike from just north of the smokies to grayson highlands, that sounds like the best bet for me as far as getting rides and maximizing my trip. Thanks to all for the good input.

My next question deals with gear. As a college student I don't have much money, but I can afford to buy one or two items if deemed 'required.' I'm wondering if I shoud pay any mind to the lightweight craze going on. I'm planning on hiking with a 5+ lb Lowe (internal) pack that was given to me, but happens to fit perfectly. I have a very nice but not super lightweight mummybag from REI that will do great as well. Does anyone see any reason to purchase new gear for a trip like this? I'd like to do 15+ miles on the trail a day, but I also will most likely end up with a 30 something lb. pack. I do consider myself to be pretty fit, and never really thought twice about it until I saw all this info about hammocks and lightweigh gear. Is this something a thru-hiking would be more interested in or does it really make a hike less strenuous? As usual, you're opinions are much appreciated.

A-Train
04-12-2004, 13:51
Hey again,

I think I'm going hike from just north of the smokies to grayson highlands, that sounds like the best bet for me as far as getting rides and maximizing my trip. Thanks to all for the good input.

My next question deals with gear. As a college student I don't have much money, but I can afford to buy one or two items if deemed 'required.' I'm wondering if I shoud pay any mind to the lightweight craze going on. I'm planning on hiking with a 5+ lb Lowe (internal) pack that was given to me, but happens to fit perfectly. I have a very nice but not super lightweight mummybag from REI that will do great as well. Does anyone see any reason to purchase new gear for a trip like this? I'd like to do 15+ miles on the trail a day, but I also will most likely end up with a 30 something lb. pack. I do consider myself to be pretty fit, and never really thought twice about it until I saw all this info about hammocks and lightweigh gear. Is this something a thru-hiking would be more interested in or does it really make a hike less strenuous? As usual, you're opinions are much appreciated.

Mellow. Good choice on the section. North of the smokies to Grayson highlands features many wonderful highlights and you should have a great time. Gear never gets anyone from georgia to maine or even from the smokies to virginia. Long distance backpacking is about effort and will and how much you enjoy it. Having a 30-40 lb pack is not going to stop you or anyone else from hiking on the AT if you really want to do it. However it does make the trip more enjoyable for some folks, myself including. It is not necessary at all to have high tec lightweight gear and many have gotten by with much less expensive stuff. It truely depends on how much money you have at your disposable, and the answer seems to be not very much for you. I would go with the pack and sleeping bag you have and focus on cheaper lighter items such as making an alcohol stove which anyone can do. Spending 12 dollars on Aquarmira instead of 60 on a filter will save you money and a pound on your back. Use a light closed cellfoam sleeping pad from wal-mart. Photocopy the data/handbook pages you'll need so you dont bring the whole book, use gatorade bottles to hold water, maybe splurge 40 bucks for a titanium pot, just take 1 lexan spoon, get a lighweight headlamp, go with a dollar store pair of lightweight flipflops. There are many ways to keep your pack weight down somewhat without replacing everything. If you find that you really want a new pack or sleeping bag the money is more well spent ON the trail once you've spent time outside than deciding before the trip. There are wonderful outfitters in both Hot Springs NC and Damascus VA which the AT follows right by where they will happily help you find a lighter alternative. Good luck!

Moon Monster
04-13-2004, 11:49
Hey mellow, first of all, 30 lbs is not that heavy. A 5lb pack is on the heavy side if you are interested in lightweight backpacking. However, fit of your pack is so important that if you replace anything, you should probably replace the bag or shelter first. Plus, you must shrink the size of your other gear before you can shrink the size of your pack too far. The bag is often the most expensive thing to replace, so it may be more cost effective to replace other things before that also. Trekking poles are a great 70 dollar buy that can allow your knees to deal with more weight on your back.

What shelter are you carrying? Choosing a tarp, a single wall tent, or a hammock can shed punds off your weight and liters off your volume versus a regular tent. And simple silnylon tarps start at around 30 bucks. I know you don't have much time for this trip, but making your own gear like a sleeping bag can save lots of money. Also, another big way to save weight for free is to simply leave behind redundant or unneccessary clothing. You only need one pair of socks, underwear, pants, and you only need one shirt, etc. You won't really need rain pants, or a winter coat in June. There are many 12 oz+/- raincoats on the market for 100 dollars or less.